PDA

View Full Version : What can you do with BOEF that's both interesting and not "Weird"?

aleucard
2014-11-11, 01:15 PM
From my vague recollections on the monstrosity, there's actually several fun little quirks that could be useful even if you're not playing the kind of campaign/session that reminds one of the business end of FATAL (may it burn in Hell). I'm bored enough to be interested in seeing what you guys can put together that 1) uses something in it to an at least tertiary (but still noticeable) level and 2) would be something that you wouldn't mind playing in a normal game provided you could file off the squick that its source taints it with. Bonus points if it's something that would get you the hairy eyeball treatment were the source and fluff to be revealed.

EDIT: To clarify my last point, bonus points if whatever thing you pull from the book is something that's more inside joke than "Why the Hell did they put that there and not somewhere more normal?" as some aspects of, say, Tome of Battle have to put up with (Snap Kick comes to mind).

The Glyphstone
2014-11-11, 01:21 PM
The BOEF contains three different types of material, any item of which falls into two categories at most:

1) Mature
2) Well-balanced
3) Relevant to >1% of games.

If anything in there is outright salvageable for the average table, it's probably the fluff elements. The sections on how different alignments and classes view sex and relationships (paladins can totally have one-night stands, as long as they are up-front about it), or how different non-human races reproduce (One Ooze. Idiot Hits Ooze. Two oozes.) can be used to potentially excellent effect towards fleshing out the non-murderhobo-esque parts of the setting.

sonofzeal
2014-11-11, 01:37 PM
I'll repost the list of spells that I use from BoEF:

Analyze Fertility, Detect Pregnancy, Block the Seed, Analyze Ancestry - all good for adding verisimilitude. One of my previous characters was a midwife among other things, and these sorts of spells just make sense.

Find Soulmate (a highly limited "Locate Creature" as a lvl 1 spell)
Pleasant Dreams (nothing dirty, just protects against dream-based attacks)
Share Sensation (see "Mind to Mind", just more limited)
Detect Disease (why is this not core?!?)
Magic Probe (reveals spells active on target; why is this not core?!?)
Mantle of Love (name aside, is just a +4 on saves if target stays in line of sight of the caster)
Resist Temptation (+4 will vs charms/compulsions/etc)
Touch Me Not (+2 deflection to AC, mild damage to attacker on touch/grapple)
Healing Sphere (ranged healing, sadly lacking Core pre Mass CLW)
Succor (a bit like Restoration, but more focused on negative levels)
Magic Status (like "Status" plus "Magic Probe"; why is this not core?!?)
Mind to Mind (see and hear through target; why is this not core?!?)
Sanctuary, Mass (why is this not core?!?)
Kiss of Life (like "Raise Dead", but must be used within CL rounds of death)
Peace Aura (40' emanation, anyone making an attack roll takes damage)
Shadow Life (a temporary "Raise Dead" that only lasts CL days)

I believe the majority of these pass all three of Glyphstone's tests.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-11-11, 02:26 PM
The Metaphysical Spellweaver is a totally safe for work PrC with Craft (weaving) as a pre-req and gave -1 to total metamagic costs as a capstone (min 1). IT was only three levels deep so it was super flexible.

Thrice Dead Cat
2014-11-11, 02:54 PM
The Metaphysical Spellweaver is a totally safe for work PrC with Craft (weaving) as a pre-req and gave -1 to total metamagic costs as a capstone (min 1). IT was only three levels deep so it was super flexible.

To be fair, the fluff to the class does amount to perverted voyeuristic wizard. Other than that, I agree that it's probably the strongest thing out off the book.

aleucard
2014-11-11, 03:01 PM
To be fair, the fluff to the class does amount to perverted voyeuristic wizard. Other than that, I agree that it's probably the strongest thing out off the book.

Which would be precisely why I mentioned you having free reign to dunk the fluff in hydrochloric acid if the mechanics are interesting but the fluff is not. There's really not much extra to expect of something that shows up in a book like this.

ellindsey
2014-11-11, 03:19 PM
I find the Analyze Ancestry spell fascinating. I'm working on a plotline that revolves around a quest to find and use the spell to determine the true parentage of a NPC, and possibly of one or more of the PCs as well. Several of the other spells are also already present as background material in my game world - I don't expect my players to ever need spells for contraception or assisting childbirth, but those spells should be present in a world where magic is common and used for everyday utility. I also like the idea of the Fecund Growth spell as an example of a terribly powerful apocalyptic area effect 9th-level spell for druids, and may have to figure out a way to use it in my campaign.

Kesnit
2014-11-11, 04:08 PM
My wife built a Warlock with the Feykissed template. +1 LA, but boosted CHA out the wazoo and gave some nice SLA's.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-11, 04:49 PM
Well, there's always the Metaphysical Spellshaper PrC, but I only ever see that in builds that run out of Incantatrix levels :smallamused:

Petrocorus
2014-11-11, 08:31 PM
I really want to use Depilatory in game. That would be fun roleplay-wise.

Block the Seed is also cool fluff-wise. I can easily imagine why a wizard could research the spell. That's actually remind me of an episode of Legend of the Seeker.

Blackhawk748
2014-11-11, 08:36 PM

Block the Seed is also cool fluff-wise. I can easily imagine why a wizard could research the spell. That's actually remind me of an episode of Legend of the Seeker.

Ha i remember that, Zedd is great.

Fax Celestis
2014-11-11, 09:30 PM
The half templates are pretty solid. Some of the fluff is good, as mentioned. I like the afterglow feats, but they're not for everyone. The Rake is mediocre but can be put to good use. There are a surprising number of good spells, also as mentioned. Other than that the book is pretty forgettable.

aleucard
2014-11-11, 09:37 PM

I do not have the book in front of me, nor the care to google the writeup for that spell whatever it may be, but this reminds me of something. Namely, a certain reoccurring fanon spell in Harry Potter fan-fiction used primarily by teenaged girls to simulate being waxed. The most relevant part is that if the caster were to 1) overcharge the spell somewhat and 2) manage to hit some other poor bastard with it, it's entirely possible for the target to have all their hair affected simultaneously and with about 15 times the necessary force to do the yanking. To picture it, imagine someone taking that waxing glue, applying it to EVERY square millimeter of skin on your body (from head to eyelashes to nostrils to chest to unmentionables to toes and everything else just for completionism's sake), and getting a team of people to rip off every single bit of it all at once. If you're not bleeding from half your body after, then I would be VERY surprised. I remember seeing one memorable example where the crazy bint Bellatrix got a taste of it when she USED to have a fairly impressive little womanly forest herself as well as head-hair that explains why some fanfiction writers like drawing familial connections to Hermione.

The threat of it's probably why Moldy Shorts turned himself into a pasty mutant even before the whole necromantic homunculi reincarnation thing in book 4.

Phelix-Mu
2014-11-12, 03:59 AM
The pregnancy rules in the book are pretty well-though out, and one of the few sources to cover what is at least an implicit part of every character's life at some point; amid the hack-and-slash of the typical murderhobo saga, normal people are going about their business, living, aging, dying, and making little people. Sometimes pcs do this kind of thing too, or perhaps an important npc is pregnant.

Are contraceptives weird? Probably not as weird in-game as in real life, lol.

Otherwise, I concur with sonofzeal's list of spells that are incredibly useful. Some of the other spells are quite silly, of course, as indicated by the Great Modthulu's most insightful post.

Petrocorus
2014-11-12, 02:40 PM
Are contraceptives weird? Probably not as weird in-game as in real life, lol.

I see no reason why it should be weirg in-game or IRL.

I was joking about Zeddicus' spell earlier, because the scene was quite funny; but more seriously, magical infertility or contraception would probably be a thing in any setting were magic is common. In a setting like Eberron where you have everyday magic, wondrous items of infertility, contraception spells and magewrights or priests providing Bestow Curse (infertily) would probably quite common. At least in great cities.
I remember a thread a while back in January where we were discussing of the practical issues and consequences of prostitution in a fantasy setting. It was actually quite thorough and we end up we several ways, rule compliant, of contraception and prevention.

Otherwise, I concur with sonofzeal's list of spells that are incredibly useful. Some of the other spells are quite silly, of course, as indicated by the Great Modthulu's most insightful post.

Rule n° 1, the Great Modthulu is always right.

Rubik
2014-11-12, 03:15 PM
Rule n° 1, the Great Modthulu is always right....or else.