PDA

View Full Version : Happy Veterans Day!

TheThan
2014-11-11, 01:19 PM
So today is Vetrans Day (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veterans_Day) here in the US. It’s a special day we take out of the year to thank and pay special recognition to all the soldiers who have fought for the United States of America.

To me Veterans Day is a very important holiday, and one I think all Americans should observe.

So I’d like to thank all our veterans –in-the-playground for your service and wish you all a great and happy veterans day.

sktarq
2014-11-11, 01:54 PM
I do wish that the minute's silence at 11am would be nice if done properly here.

Happy Veterans/Remembrance/Armistice Day

Asta Kask
2014-11-11, 02:01 PM
Veterans' Day is 29/5 in Sweden. We haven't been at war for 200 years, but we have some troops in peacekeeping forces so there are people to support.

TheThan
2014-11-11, 09:12 PM
My town usually puts on a bit veterans day parade, which is nice. Plus, my church took some cookies over to the various recruitment offices around the area today… at least they were supposed to.

Serpentine
2014-11-11, 10:53 PM
I feel like "happy" is maybe not the best word to be attached to this particular day...

Gwynfrid
2014-11-12, 12:28 AM
"Happy" isn't the exact word for it, but I share the sentiment. Here in Canada, Remembrance Day takes particular importance with the anniversary of the beginning of WWI, plus the recent tragic events in Ottawa and Quebec.

In my home country too, remembrance of the Great War is a big deal, with the centennial in particular. And I have also seen the impressive images of the 800000+ poppy installation in London.

I just helped my son with a school project covering the war and Vimy Memorial, the biggest war memorial for Canadians. All of that makes for a very sobering thought... It is good that we have a day in the year to remember those who paid with their lives.

TheThan
2014-11-12, 01:59 AM
Here in the US we have two such days. Memorial day to remember those who died fighting and Veterans day for those who were fortunate enough to not have to have paid that ultimate price.

Gwynfrid
2014-11-12, 07:55 AM
Hmm, I didn't know that. In Canada, the two aspects are celebrated on the same day. France doesn't make this distinction either, even though there are two days for remembrance there (one for each World War).