PDA

View Full Version : The Judge (prestige class)

Kellus
2007-03-22, 06:15 PM
OK, this is my first time posting on these forums. I've been playing DnD for a little while now, and I freely admit that I'm not the most knowledgable about it. However, I've put together a few prestige classes that I thought were neat, but I'm sure are not at all balanced. This one, for example, seems overpowered, but I'm not sure where I can prune but still retain the flavour of the class. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. With that disclaimer:

The Judge

Occassionally an individual on the Material Plane shows such adherance to law and order that even the highest guardians of justice, the Inevitables, take notice. These devoted monks seek out the Inevitables in an attempt to join their ranks and gain the powers they need to persecute lawbreakers. The path to becoming an Inevitable is a long and difficult one, but once such a monk has completed it he has the opportunity to become an eternal guardian of justice alongside the Inevitables.

Prerequisites:

BAB +5
Feats: Endurance, Track
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Class Feature: Purity of Body
Skills: Diplomacy 8 ranks, Survival 5 ranks
Special: Must have visited the Clockwork Nirvana of Mechanus
Special: Must have executed at least two people for a specific crime.
Special: Must not be a Construct.

HD: d10

Judge
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+0|Personal law, indomitable, imposing

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+0|
+0|Penance +1d6, +1 natural armour

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+1|Relentless, lesser geas

4th|
+4|
+1|
+1|
+1|Weapons of law, armour of justice

5th|
+5|
+1|
+1|
+1|Penance +2d6, +2 natural armour

6th|
+6|
+2|
+2|
+2|Methodical

7th|
+7|
+2|
+2|
+2|Relentless, mark of justice

8th|
+8|
+2|
+2|
+2|Penance +3d6, +3 natural armour

9th|
+9|
+3|
+3|
+3|Blind justice

10th|
+10|
+3|
+3|
+3|Unstoppable, +4 natural armour[/table]

Notes: The judge loses all class features if he wears armour of any kind or uses a shield. This penalty lasts until he removes the equipment and for an additional twenty-four hours afterwards.

The judge's levels stack with levels of monk to determine unarmed damage and flurry of blows progression. The judge may multiclass freely with the monk class at no penalty aside from regular multiclassing penalties.

Class Skills: The judge’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Disguise (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Tumble (Dex).

Skill points at additional levels: 2 + Int modifier

All of the following are class features of the judge:

Personal Law: At first level, the judge must select a law that he is personally dedicated to upholding. He must have executed at least two people for violating this law. The judge commits himself to upholding this law, and seeks out those who defy it.

Indomitable: As a judge advances, he becomes nearly impossible to stop. He has Spell Resistance equal to 5 + HD, and also adds his class level to Survival checks to track.

Imposing: The judge draws attention wherever he goes. He is an imposing figure, and his very presence on the battlefield causes foes to falter. The judge may add his Charisma modifier to his AC. This adds to his Dexterity bonus. If he loses his Dexterity bonus to AC, he also loses this bonus. He may not add both Wisdom and Charisma modifiers to his AC. Instead, he must select whichever modifier is higher to add to his AC.

Penance: The judge has a mission to uphold a law. When fighting an opponent who has willingly violated this law, he deals an additional 1d6 damage with attacks. This d6 is energy damage which the judge calls forth from the Clockwork Nirvana of Mechanus to destroy the lawbreaker. When he gains this ability, he must choose one of the following energy types to apply to this additional damage: fire, cold, acid, sonic, electricity, positive, negative. Alternatively, he may choose when he receives the ability to gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage against such a foe instead.

At 5th and 8th levels, the judge gains an addition 1d6 damage against those who break his law. He must select an energy type for these attacks as well, although they do not need to be the same as his first energy attack. For example, at 8th level a particular judge might deal an additional 1d6 electrical damage and 2d6 fire damage against an opponent who has willingly violated the law he upholds.

Natural Armour: As the judge progresses, he becomes more metallic and clockwork in his actions and appearance. He gains a natural armour bonus of +1 at 2nd level. This increases by +1 at 5th, 8th, and 10th levels.

Relentless: At 3rd level, the judge no longer requires air and is not affected by changes in pressure. He is dedicated to pursuing lawbreakers anywhere, and can travel to the deepest depths of the ocean in his crusade for justice. He is also no longer affected by gases or spells which require him to inhale a substance.

Lesser Geas: Once per day, the judge may cast lesser geas as a spell-like ability on an individual who has willingly violated his personal law.

Weapons of Law: At 4th level, all weapons wielded by the judge gain the axiomatic ability. This ability is not inherent in the weapons, but rather is a function of the judge himself. The effect dissipates 1d8 rounds after he ceases to hold the weapon. The unarmed strike of the judge is also treated as axiomatic.

Armour of Justice: At 4th level, the judge has become nigh impervious to mundane attacks. He gains damage reduction of (half his class level)/chaotic

Methodical: Once per day per judge level, the judge may take 10 on any Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution-based skill check even if he is rushed or threatened. He is patient, unyielding, and methodical enough to perform a task adequately even under pressure.

Relentless: At 7th level, the judge may grow or dispel a pair of mechanical wings as a move action that provokes an attack of oppurtunity. These wings allow him a flight speed of 40 ft (poor). While extended, they impose a -4 penalty to his Dexterity.

Mark of Justice: Once per day, the judge may cast mark of justice as a spell-like ability on an individual who has willingly violated his personal law.

Blind Justice: At 9th level, the judge gains darkvision 60 ft.

Unstoppable: At 10th level, the judge has become a true force of unstoppable justice, and joins the ranks of the Inevitables. He becomes a Construct, and gains traits similar to the normal traits of a Construct:

- He loses his Constitution score, although he gains additional hit points (+10 hp for a Small judge, +20 hp for a Medium judge)

- He gains Fast Healing 5, although this does not regenerate damage dealt by chaotic means.

- He becomes immune to mind-affecting effects.

- He becomes immune to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and necromancy effects.

- He is not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, fatigue, exhaustion, or energy drain.

- If reduced to 0 hit points or less, the judge instantly crumbles. However, the Inevitables do not allow one of their number to fall easily. He may make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + damage dealt). If successful, the judge will reanimate with no penalty on the Clockwork Nirvana of Mechanus in 1d6+1 weeks.

Ex-Judges: If a judge ceases to be Lawful Neutral, breaks his personal law, or fails to uphold his personal law, he loses all class features and cannot take any further levels as a judge. A judge who multiclasses outside of the judge or monk class may not take any further levels in either class.

--

Well, that's it. Like I said before, it seems overpowered but I wasn't sure where I could cut back but keep the idea of a human slowly becoming an Inevitable. Thanks for reading, and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Fax Celestis
2007-03-22, 06:32 PM
Indomitable: Spell Resistance is usually determined as 5 + HD or 10 + HD. I would recommend the former in this case.

Beyond that, it actually looks pretty sweet.

I would recommend adding "Special: Must not already be a construct." to the prerequisites.

Kellus
2007-03-22, 06:37 PM
Thanks! I also just noticed that I somehow missed the hit die as well, so I'll fix that as well.

Good call on the prerequisite, too. I never even considered a construct taking the class.

flawed.Perfection
2007-03-23, 03:59 AM
It does seem a bit overpowered, but it's a really sweet idea. One thing I noticed, though, was that the natural armor progression in the table and the description are not the same. Since +3 is missing from the table, I'm presuming the description is correct?

Also, might be even more powerful, but Blind Justice; Maybe give him Blindsight instead of darkvision?

marjan
2007-03-23, 05:07 AM
If you intended this class to best to work with monks you should consider droping those requirements a bit since that would mean that they wouldn't be able to qualify as pure monks till lvl 16. I would put Survival before Search since you obviously want this guy to be good at tracking criminals or switch Track to Urban Tracking if you want him to act in more urban enviroments.

SpartacusThe2nd
2007-03-23, 05:20 AM
well I know its monk-judge stuff but strong BAB?

marjan
2007-03-23, 05:23 AM
well I know its monk-judge stuff but strong BAB?

Monks just need it. Besides they have all bad saves to compensate.

SpartacusThe2nd
2007-03-23, 07:28 AM
you are not supposed to compensate you are supposed to balance and make it more connected to the PrC base class.

marjan
2007-03-23, 02:51 PM
you are not supposed to compensate you are supposed to balance and make it more connected to the PrC base class.

Well if you want to make more orientes Monk melee PrC then this is the way to go. Connection exist between this class and monk and like with any other class you keep some aspect of the class, you lose some and gain some new abilities. Anyway look at Kensai - it is intended for Paladins and Monks but it has good will saves only. And bad saves in this case is to connect the class with constructs since by the lvl 10 you basicaly become one.
Good BAB is because he is supposed to fight criminals.

Kellus
2007-03-23, 02:52 PM
The saves were intentional, since Constructs are supposed to have bad saves for all three. The BAB does seem high, but I think they need it since they're melee combattants. I'll fix that natural armour typo(s), and rework the requirements as well so that Monks will be able to enter a bit sooner.

I think blindsense would just be too much; I'll keep it as darkvision for now unless I see a really good reason to change it.

EDIT: OK, I've changed the requirements a tad. A monk is now eligible for the class after 7th level if he's willing to put some cross-class ranks into Survival for tracking.