PDA

View Full Version : Make this Monkey Fly!

Kevingway
2014-11-11, 03:18 PM
Sorry, it isn't a monkey--it's an ape. But don't stop reading!

Hadozee. They have gliding. I want to build off of this with some form of extraordinary flight. Obviously Improved Dragon Wings won't work because it has Dragon Wings as a prereq (and needs Dragonblood, but that's easy enough to solve); any other flight forms that aren't Feathered Wings seem to be either Supernatural or from spells/items, and all I want is something that has Gliding as a prerequisite for either the eventual obtainment of flight or some other ability that needs it.

Anyone know what might do the trick?

Red Fel
2014-11-11, 03:32 PM
Sorry, it isn't a monkey--it's an ape. But don't stop reading!

Hadozee. They have gliding. I want to build off of this with some form of extraordinary flight. Obviously Improved Dragon Wings won't work because it has Dragon Wings as a prereq (and needs Dragonblood, but that's easy enough to solve); any other flight forms that aren't Feathered Wings seem to be either Supernatural or from spells/items, and all I want is something that has Gliding as a prerequisite for either the eventual obtainment of flight or some other ability that needs it.

Anyone know what might do the trick?

Well, you mentioned the Dragon Wings feat - what about Dragonborn? It's from the same book. It's a LA +0 template, and while it would get rid of your climb bonus, Dragonborn explicitly retains prior movement forms - such as gliding. If you take the Wings aspect, you basically get the benefits of the Dragon Wings feat line as you level up - so, by the time you reach 6 HD, you gain proper Flight. You also gain the Dragonblood subtype, which gives you more toys. There's also the Winged template, but that's LA +2, if memory serves.

If we hop over to the Lists of Necessary Magic Items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items), the very first entry lays out options for flight.

Another option is Incarnum. There are several soulmelds that grant flight, to varying degrees.

sideswipe
2014-11-11, 03:38 PM
how high can you jump?

Petrocorus
2014-11-11, 08:44 PM
Nine level in Geomancer can give you wings.

PAO can probably be used to turn you gliding "wings" into actual wings.

The half-Fey template from DragMag gives you wings.

There is a DFA lesser invocation that gives dragon wings.