PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Tharizdun

Mr.Kraken
2014-11-11, 07:31 PM
So, in my game, I'm using Big T as the main villain. In this post-apocalyptic world, an event known only as The Fall has almost completely destroyed the material plane and killed all life, save for some areas of land that, without explanation, were lifted into the sky and have stayed there, flying in the sky, ever since. Most races managed to survive the Fall, and now, live on those flying continents. A mysterious madness-inducing mist now covers the land below, and all living creatures have adapted to living in the skies.

The Fall was caused by Tharizdun's prison demiplane being "thrown into" the material plane, a result of his tremendous power.

I am using Fourth Edition cosmology, in that the universe is mainly divided between the Astral Sea, the Elemental Chaos, the Feywild, the Shadowfell and the Material Plane. These planes, together with other, minor planes, are what encompass Creation. Tharizdun, on the other hand, is Destruction.

Tharizdun represents Destruction, Entropy, Madness and the Primordial Chaos. He is the Void, the Abscence, the One in Nothingness. Since he is the opposite of Creation, Tharizdun has no power to create - only to corrupt. His touch of entropy cannot create creatures, but change what has already been created into some form that will, eventually, be their own demise. This way, all will return to nothingness.

With this in mind, I want Tharizdun to be the final boss in my campaign, where he would face the players in a weakened state - courtesy of the Creator. I haven't created his stats yet, but I've been gathering ideas to make him a truly remarkable final boss, as well as being worthy of his story and name.

With the backstory in mind, I've thought of the following for him:

* Aura of Destruction - A powerful aura surrounds the Chained God, one that dissipates creation itself. No Conjuration (Creation) spells can be cast within the aura, and items created by such spells are instantly destroyed with no saving throw (including those created by Conjuration [Creation] spells with Duration: Instantaneous). The aura also causes entropic damage to everything within, quickly making all things return to nonexistence.

* Visage of Madness - A gaze attack that affects the minds of whoever looks into the face of the Destroyer. This would be in the veins of a Insanity spell, that would affect even creatures with immunity to enchantment or mind-affecting spells or effects.

* Mist Form - The mysterious mist mentioned above is, in fact, an aspect of Tharizdun, still not strong enough to act freely. Whoever comes in contact with the mist is affected by a disease simply known as the Fever. Even creatures normally immune to sickness have a hard time shrugging off the symptoms of the Fever. When Tharizdun eventually appears, he will have the ability to turn into this mist. This wouldn't be like the spell, but more akin to transforming into a colossal mist elemental that can also inflict anyone who enhales his fumes with the Fever.

* Multiple Actions - Tharidun functions outside the laws Creation has imposed on the universe. His body is something no mind, be it mundane or divine, can hope to understand. His body is constantly in movement, resembling grotesque spasms that sometimes contract his muscles into strange shapes. It's possible to see faces and limbs appear out of nowhere on his legs, arms, even face. Because of this, he will have more actions during his turn, as if he was more than one creature, with giant arms and tentacles appearing and striking foes out of nowhere.

* Lots of immunities, resistances, DR and SR.

* Summoning umbral blots, slaads, demons and several entropic-morphed creatures.

* Some kind of reality altering powers. Mostly Transmutation magic, I think.

These are some ideas. So, guys, can you help me with Big T? Can you contribute with some ideas to make him the boss I want him to be? I'm thinking of something along the lines of a CR 35 or 36 encounter. Thank you in advance!

Inevitability
2014-11-12, 02:58 AM
I believe there's a WOTC article that has an aspect of Tharizdun as final boss. The 'binding elder evils' guide should have a link.

tadkins
2014-11-12, 03:09 AM
I don't have a lot to add on the subject, but I have to say that I love that story. Sounds like an awesome background for a game. :)

Mr.Kraken
2014-11-12, 05:00 AM
I don't have a lot to add on the subject, but I have to say that I love that story. Sounds like an awesome background for a game. :)

Thank you, friend.
If I had to choose one of my campaigns as my "masterpiece", it would be this one.

I believe there's a WOTC article that has an aspect of Tharizdun as final boss. The 'binding elder evils' guide should have a link.

Do you mean Shothragot? I'm not using him in my campaign, since I'm not following the Ctulhu-esque concepts surrounding these entities. But he gave me some ideas for the Princes - powerful servants of Tharizdun that plan on delving the world into chaos and madness, feeding Tharizdun with enough power to break free from his prison demiplane.

I really liked Shothragot's Corporeal Instability power. Think I'm gonna use it. :smallsmile:

Mr.Kraken
2014-11-13, 10:59 AM
Come on, people, help me here please. I know you have good ideas.