PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed The most broken single item in 3E?

AnonymousPepper
2014-11-11, 09:44 PM
Naturally, I don't know every item in the game, so I'll start with the most broken one I can think of. Naturally, anybody who comes up with a more broken one sets the new threshold for it.

Anyway, without further ado, I submit Presto's hat, the Hat of Many Spells, from the Animated Series handbook. Which is actually a held item, not a head item. While a lot of items from it were pretty damn broken, I think this one takes the cake. This hat costs 25000gp and has four powers, all of which can be used an unlimited number of times per day. In order from least to most broken:

1. Can function as a Rod of Wonder.
2. Can Empower any spell cast by the user for free. 1/3 chance of success, 1/3 chance of success but a random Rod of Wonder effect occurs, 1/3 chance of losing the spell and a random Rod of Wonder effect going off.
3. Can exchange a spell currently prepared for one directly out of your spellbook and cast it, same percentage chance of failure as above.
4. Can pull up to 1000GP worth of material components from the hat in a round in order to cast a spell with a costly material component. Materials disappear after the round ends if not used. No percentage chance of failure.

4 becomes even crazier in 3.P, of course, where every spell that formerly had an XP component instead has its cost expressed in XP, but even in 3.5, being able to buy the ability to negate 1kGP in material component costs per round is utterly ridiculous.

It gets even crazier when you consider that the Quick Draw feat would allow you to pull N*1000gp per round for free for a spell, where N is the number of Hats of Many Spells that you possess.

Naturally, I'm sure there's far more broken items out there than that, but this is what comes to mind for me.

The Glyphstone
2014-11-11, 09:46 PM
Well, a Candle of Invocation is generally the crucial item for setting off a Pun-Pun loop. But being able to cast Gate is probably the least broken part of the entire combo, so I'm not sure it qualifies.

nedz
2014-11-11, 09:51 PM
A Deck of Many Things can be game breaking — in the wrong sort of game.

Zaq
2014-11-11, 09:51 PM
I feel like the Thought Bottle has to be in there somewhere. Negating XP costs never ends well.

Venger
2014-11-11, 09:55 PM
zaq beat me to thought bottle which is empirically the worst one.

I'd second the deck of many things though because it's an item that doesn't seem that destructive and a lot of noobgms throw it in thinking it'll be fun without thought to the repercussions. dust of sneezing and choking or whatever might end a combat, but deck of many things can end entire campaigns with one or two bad draws.

just cast augury before each draw and you'll be fine though.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-11, 09:56 PM

Indeed. It's not broken in the "overpowered" sense but in the "actually breaks your game" sense.

Rubik
2014-11-11, 10:33 PM
In addition to the above, I think the psychoactive skin of proteus is exceedingly powerful, if you know your shapeshifting forms, even at ML 7.

Shapeshifting is just that powerful.

Venger
2014-11-11, 10:38 PM
In addition to the above, I think the psychoactive skin of proteus is exceedingly powerful, if you know your shapeshifting forms, even at ML 7.

Shapeshifting is just that powerful.

phylactery of change is considerably worse since it costs about 1/8th as much and has the same effect.

Curmudgeon
2014-11-11, 10:40 PM
The degree of abuse is always in combination with other game aspects. However, the following are ripe with game-breaking potential:

Dust of Sneezing and Choking (Dungeon Master's Guide, page 275)
Manyfang Dagger (Serpent Kingdoms, page 152)
Nightstick (Libris Mortis, page 78)

Haruki-kun
2014-11-11, 10:43 PM
I dunno about the Deck of Many Things. I think you need to have some degree of control over the item for me to call it "broken". I'd say the DoMT is just unpredictably destructive and that's all.

Which is why my players are never getting one in any campaign I run. :smalltongue:

Rubik
2014-11-11, 11:02 PM
phylactery of change is considerably worse since it costs about 1/8th as much and has the same effect.Isn't that the one that only allows for a single form while worn that can't be changed?

Yes, that's good (depending on what form is in it), but the skin is better. Much better. Innumerably better, even.

Venger
2014-11-11, 11:04 PM
Isn't that the one that only allows for a single form while worn that can't be changed?

Yes, that's good (depending on what form is in it), but the skin is better. Much better. Innumerably better, even.

It actually lets you switch to a new form (with indefinite duration) 1/day.

while the proteus skin is definitely better, I think this is a worse item since it comes online so much earlier, while when you get the proteus skin, the polymorph effect will mostly be for utility since 7HD forms will mostly not be pulling their weight in combat at the lvl you can blow 80+k on one item.

Judge_Worm
2014-11-11, 11:06 PM
Due to crafting rules, for a large fortune one can create a _______ of Wishes, usable infinite times per day.

Rubik
2014-11-11, 11:18 PM
It actually lets you switch to a new form (with indefinite duration) 1/day.

while the proteus skin is definitely better, I think this is a worse item since it comes online so much earlier, while when you get the proteus skin, the polymorph effect will mostly be for utility since 7HD forms will mostly not be pulling their weight in combat at the lvl you can blow 80+k on one item.While you do have a point, I think the skin is still extremely powerful even at high levels. Yes, Metamorphosis manifested at a high manifester level is much better. No, that doesn't make the skin any less powerful.

Think about it. It lets you:

--Gain immortality.
--Change type at will, with all the traits and immunities that implies [sleep immunity, death immunity, necromancy immunity, mind-affecting immunity, sneak attack/crit immunity, stun immunity, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc].
--Change subtypes at will, with all the traits and immunities that implies [fire immunity, cold immunity, water breathing, etc].
--Revert from shapeshifting attacks [Polymorph, et al] as a standard action.
--Heal an infinite number of hp, restricted only by your actions.
--Gain every standard movement mode at a very high speed [land speed, flight, swimming, climbing, burrowing].
--Gain lots and lots of natural attacks, and various special physical attacks, from the rust monster's rust attack to the mimic's ability to stick to anything.
--Completely replace all of your base physical scores with surprisingly high ones from various forms.
--Gain hardness.
--Change size, from Fine to Huge, or even Gargantuan. Colossal, if you add Expansion into the mix.
--Become any object you can imagine, with no size limit. The only real limits are hardness 15 and your Craft checks. The ability to become a sentient, aware object is unique to Metamorphosis, as far as I know, unless you're undead and cast Haunt Shift.
--Access to a large number of ridiculously powerful supernatural abilities using Metamorphic Transfer and/or Assume Supernatural Ability.
--Give it to your familiar or animal companion or psicrystal for a multi-use masterwork tool/combat machine which can be altered to suit your purposes every round.
--And change up all of this every single round to suit the situation.

The skin is ridiculously powerful and ridiculously useful.

Plus, Words of Creation allows you to create one at ML 8 for no extra charge.

Venger
2014-11-11, 11:32 PM
those are all very good points.

I didn't mean that the skin wasn't powerful because its primary benefits weren't offensive, I just said I think the phylactery provides a slightly more "brokenness/gp" ratio, not that it's stronger overall.

Rubik
2014-11-12, 12:36 AM
those are all very good points.

I didn't mean that the skin wasn't powerful because its primary benefits weren't offensive, I just said I think the phylactery provides a slightly more "brokenness/gp" ratio, not that it's stronger overall.While the phylactery is indeed fairly powerful, the restriction on one form per day neuters its effectiveness when compared to the skin. I think the skin is well over eight times as powerful as the phylactery, and it's easy enough to craft one by level 7, if you're willing to invest a bit in cost reducers (and with Psychic Reformation, the required feats are practically a given).

Venger
2014-11-12, 12:41 AM
While the phylactery is indeed fairly powerful, the restriction on one form per day neuters its effectiveness when compared to the skin. I think the skin is well over eight times as powerful as the phylactery, and it's easy enough to craft one by level 7, if you're willing to invest a bit in cost reducers (and with Psychic Reformation, the required feats are practically a given).

that's very true, and while I don't doubt it, like a lot of the stuff that's gonna come up in this thread, it's kind of hard to test because of how infrequently it's allowed in practical play.

Ksheep
2014-11-12, 12:52 AM
If you want broken, just look in the PHB at the Block and Tackle. Weighs 5 lbs, costs 5 GP, and does… well, it doesn't actually say. No description at all, anywhere in the book.

Then again, that isn't "game breaking" broken, merely "nonexistent rules" broken. For actual game-breaking items, I'm almost wanting to say Sphere of Annihilation, but it isn't quite on the same scale as some of the other items in the game (unless the DM gets creative). In fact, a number of artifacts border on game-breaking, as do a number of cursed items. The Bag of Devouring can be quite devastating if the players aren't paying too much attention while filling it full of loot.

AkuArkaine
2014-11-12, 01:08 AM
You want a broken get rich quick item for low-level players, try a wand of mount. You can make a lot of money selling fifty horses, then skip town before they expire.

Anything that grants wishes is broken, nough said.

BrokenChord
2014-11-12, 02:42 AM

Since when are my Efreeti friends items? :smalltongue:

I'll have to second Dust of Sneezing and Choking. At low to early middle levels, it's a standard action to turn an almost certain TPK into a cakewalk.

Venger
2014-11-12, 02:43 AM
Since when are my Efreeti friends items? :smalltongue:

I'll have to second Dust of Sneezing and Choking. At low to early middle levels, it's a standard action to turn an almost certain TPK into a cakewalk.

or the mini version, dust eggshell grenades. blind enemies without a save for only 10gp.

Ravens_cry
2014-11-12, 03:31 AM
Due to crafting rules, for a large fortune one can create a _______ of Wishes, usable infinite times per day.
Only if you ignore the fact that the DM explicitly has final say on the cost of items. The crafting 'rules' are suggestions to give a ball park figure..

Phelix-Mu
2014-11-12, 03:43 AM
@Ravens_cry: That may be the single coolest avatar that I've ever seen; pretty art is pretty.:smallsmile:

Venger
2014-11-12, 03:47 AM
@Ravens_cry: That may be the single coolest avatar that I've ever seen; pretty art is pretty.:smallsmile:

mnemosyne from "hercules and xena the battle for mount olympus" if I'm not mistaken

Ravens_cry
2014-11-12, 04:01 AM
Oh, um, thank you.:smallredface: Though 'cool' may not be the best choice of words . . .:smalltongue:

mnemosyne from "hercules and xena the battle for mount olympus" if I'm not mistaken
*looks that up* Oh neat!
However, you are mistaken. Awhile back, we had an Elemental theme week, rendering our avatar with the chosen element, and I chose the reactional of fire, doing an edit of my then default avatar (http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h355/ravens_cry/Ravens_cry_nweek.png).

Chronos
2014-11-12, 10:38 AM
I'd have to say that the Thought Bottle is the worst, since there simply is no non-exploitive use for it. Dust of Sneezing and Choking, Candle of Invocation, Skin of Proteus: These all can be abused mightily, but if you hold yourself back and use them only as intended, they're fine. Thought Bottle, though, so far as I can tell, the intent is plain and simple munchkinry, and that's all it's good for.

Mato
2014-11-12, 12:00 PM
The Darklight Codex.
It is from kingdoms of kalmar: villainous codex and it is stamped with the wizards of the coast official seal that it is a licensed product, similar to dragon magazine and dragonlance supplements which are generally allowed on these forums.

Upon reading it you are eligible to begin anew as a darklight wizard, yes I mean you become a 1st level character again.
1.I know some of your are skill junkies here at gitp, utterly convinced of their nigh superiority for some reason. So consider starting with 23 ranks in several skills in addition to obtaining 6 skill points per level (including x4 at the first).
2.You also keep all the feats you obtained prior to becoming a darklight wizard.
3.You also keep your ability scores, including the bonuses obtained from leveling.
4.It's silent on items, you should technically lose them to better match wealth by level but you do keep your ability scores so I don't see a reason why you'd lose the inherent bonuses obtained from casting wish since they cannot be simply "lost", ever.
And then you take your first level in darklight wizard which is an intelligence based prepared arcane spellcasting class that obtains 9th level spells by it's 10th level. Along the way you obtain your int bonus to saves, animate dead as a spell-like ability with a +1d6 cap to hd, both create & control undead as well as area of night & darkness all as spell-like abilities, two abilities to reduce saves one is aura of despair and the other is a saveless touch attack that bestows a -4 penalty, another touch attack that rolls up to 10d4 against your opponent's hp to kill them, continuous protection from good, and a lesser version of lightning (1d4/cl) that also bestows a -1 penalty to every roll, every roll. Caster level checks, spell damage, initiative, saves, skills, ability checks, turn undead, you name it.

The only limitation is your spell list is considerably limited. So you may want to purchase a runestaff, that way by the 10th level you can use wish, gate, ice assassin, mind rape and/or time stop.

Telonius
2014-11-12, 12:10 PM
There are two candidates I can think of:

A blank spellbook
A Holy Symbol

Either one can break the game under the right circumstances.

dysprosium
2014-11-12, 01:19 PM

I'd second the deck of many things though because it's an item that doesn't seem that destructive and a lot of noobgms throw it in thinking it'll be fun without thought to the repercussions. dust of sneezing and choking or whatever might end a combat, but deck of many things can end entire campaigns with one or two bad draws.

just cast augury before each draw and you'll be fine though.

Indeed. It's not broken in the "overpowered" sense but in the "actually breaks your game" sense.

I dunno about the Deck of Many Things. I think you need to have some degree of control over the item for me to call it "broken". I'd say the DoMT is just unpredictably destructive and that's all.

Which is why my players are never getting one in any campaign I run. :smalltongue:

Personally I love the Deck of Many Things. And my players know that I love it.

So when we start a new campaign they always ask when (not if) there will be a Deck of Many Things to draw from.

Rubik
2014-11-12, 01:34 PM
There are two candidates I can think of:

A blank spellbook
A Holy Symbol

Either one can break the game under the right circumstances.Don't you mean a full spellbook?

Also, how about a wand of Wall of Salt? Sure, it's expensive, but it also produces a LOT of money.

Rijan_Sai
2014-11-12, 01:39 PM
The Darklight Codex.
-stuff-

This makes me feel dirty...I must find this book now! :smallamused:

nedz
2014-11-12, 02:09 PM
Personally I love the Deck of Many Things. And my players know that I love it.

So when we start a new campaign they always ask when (not if) there will be a Deck of Many Things to draw from.

It's just very old school; now back in the day of AD&D I used to like them too, but I've done that already.
In a campaign where Tomb of Horrors fits right in, you should be fine with a DoMT — as I said: in the right sort of game.

I have had players leave games, purely as a consequence of these cards.

Telonius
2014-11-12, 02:14 PM
Don't you mean a full spellbook?

A full spellbook is Sorcerer-level broken. An empty one is Wizard-level broken. :smallbiggrin:

Zanos
2014-11-12, 04:02 PM
I'd have to say that the Thought Bottle is the worst, since there simply is no non-exploitive use for it. Dust of Sneezing and Choking, Candle of Invocation, Skin of Proteus: These all can be abused mightily, but if you hold yourself back and use them only as intended, they're fine. Thought Bottle, though, so far as I can tell, the intent is plain and simple munchkinry, and that's all it's good for.
Fairly certain the intended use was recovering level loss due to death or energy drain, not having an XP farm for spells and magic items.

Mato
2014-11-12, 06:00 PM
This makes me feel dirty...I must find this book now! :smallamused:It's a minor artifact so generally it's off limits without DM approval. But if you are the DM it'll make a great cult to fight against in a high op game.

Petrocorus
2014-11-12, 07:14 PM
Think about it. It lets you:
--Gain immortality.

I don't get how you gain immortality with it? You cannot take the form of an Outsider or an Elemental.

Rubik
2014-11-12, 07:18 PM
I don't get how you gain immortality with it? You cannot take the form of an Outsider or an Elemental.Metamorphosis defaults to whatever the creature you turn into is, and since most creature entries are, perforce, young adult (see: no ability score bonuses or penalties due to age), your body remains young adult as well for as long as you have the skin active.

Thus, you are young adult until and unless you deactivate the skin (like that would ever happen).

Curmudgeon
2014-11-12, 07:28 PM
Thus, you are young adult until and unless you deactivate the skin (like that would ever happen).
Just walk into an Antimagic Field.

Rubik
2014-11-12, 07:34 PM
Just walk into an Antimagic Field.This is why you don't do that.

Curmudgeon
2014-11-12, 07:37 PM
This is why you don't do that.
You're right. Most of the time, an Antimagic Field walks up to you instead.

Rubik
2014-11-12, 07:53 PM
You're right. Most of the time, an Antimagic Field walks up to you instead.In the case of any spellcaster worth his salt (or pepper, or sugar, or possibly stevia, for druids), they will likely find all sorts of other ways to prevent their actual bodies from being exposed to AMFs, from Contingencies to Astral Projection.

In either case, being shapeshifted into a younger body is certainly a much less painful notion than dealing with senility and arthritis and so on.

That's a retirement plan I can certainly get behind.

Petrocorus
2014-11-12, 08:42 PM
Metamorphosis defaults to whatever the creature you turn into is, and since most creature entries are, perforce, young adult (see: no ability score bonuses or penalties due to age), your body remains young adult as well for as long as you have the skin active.

But don't you need to deactivate / activate it to change form?

Rubik
2014-11-12, 08:48 PM
But don't you need to deactivate / activate it to change form?You activate it, and you're continually under the effects of Metamorphosis while wearing it. There's nothing saying you have to deactivate it in order to use Metamorphosis again. It would qualify as the "Same Effect with Differing Results" entry in the SRD.

Crake
2014-11-13, 05:39 AM
You want a broken get rich quick item for low-level players, try a wand of mount. You can make a lot of money selling fifty horses, then skip town before they expire.

Oh hell yes, I'm using this against my players!

Feint's End
2014-11-13, 08:15 AM
I'll throw Aboleth Mucus into the mix. Definitely not the most powerful item in 3E but defintely one of the most broken ones (considering the price/effect ratio it probably has the craziest).

illyahr
2014-11-13, 01:31 PM
If you want broken, just look in the PHB at the Block and Tackle. Weighs 5 lbs, costs 5 GP, and does… well, it doesn't actually say. No description at all, anywhere in the book.

Then again, that isn't "game breaking" broken, merely "nonexistent rules" broken.

Just FYI, a Block and Tackle is the pulley/hook combo you find on the end of winches or cranes. It's for lifting large items.

Ksheep
2014-11-13, 01:50 PM
Just FYI, a Block and Tackle is the pulley/hook combo you find on the end of winches or cranes. It's for lifting large items.

Yes, I'm aware of what it is. However, there are no rules for it in game. In theory, it would give you some bonus when pulling something with a rope, but it doesn't say. Would it be a Strength check bonus? Would it give you a bonus to climb when using a rope? If so, how much of a bonus?

illyahr
2014-11-13, 02:01 PM
Yes, I'm aware of what it is. However, there are no rules for it in game. In theory, it would give you some bonus when pulling something with a rope, but it doesn't say. Would it be a Strength check bonus? Would it give you a bonus to climb when using a rope? If so, how much of a bonus?

I agree. When you consider what it actually does, the only reason it isn't used more often is that there are no rules for it. I usually say it lets you double your "Lift off ground" weight limit when set up with a Use Rope check.

nyjastul69
2014-11-13, 07:02 PM
I agree. When you consider what it actually does, the only reason it isn't used more often is that there are no rules for it. I usually say it lets you double your "Lift off ground" weight limit when set up with a Use Rope check.

This is how I've handled it as well. I always assumed it was a gun tackle, the simplest type, and give a 2:1 mechanical advantage.

Mato
2014-11-13, 08:28 PM
But don't you need to deactivate / activate it to change form?Yes. Metamorphosis does not allow you to change your form unlike the greater version. Since the activation of the skin puts you under the effect of a single metamorphosis power continuously you have to remove the skin and put it on again to gain the assume a different form.

And I'd rank just about any similar item above it. The problem is it's cost. Under wealth by level 1/2 limitation on a single item you cannot afford it until the 16th level and by the 17th greater metamorphosis and shapechange become available. It's like a hand me down to mundanes who dumped intelligence. While the previous debate was Rubik trying to say the skin at the 16th level is better than using assume supernatural ability at the 8th level and overlooks that for the price of the phylactery you can buy two at the 9th level and three at the tenth and so on it also overlooks that polymorph and metamorphosis were both already replaced. For 18,000 gold (+7,000 over the phylactery, still less than 1/4 of the skin) you can buy a minor schema of draconic polymorph which has a superior 20hd limit and also gives a +8 bonus to strength and a +2 bonus to constitution. For 6,000 gold more you can also pick up a schema of metamagic spell trigger and persist it. So you can buy 3/day of a better spell per day for less than the cost of the skin. And if you're going to waste standard actions in combat, a wand of polymorph costs 420 gold per use which is the cheapest item choice by far.

Blackhawk748
2014-11-13, 08:47 PM
KoK strikes again

God i love KoK, but man do they do some dumb crunch things. I mean they made an Arcane Ur Priest for cryin out loud. Still not as horrifying a concept as the Aquatic Tarrasque

toapat
2014-11-13, 09:20 PM
Still not as horrifying a concept as the Aquatic Tarrasque

Where? I must find this and i MUST template it.

also i thought by definition the most broken/GP value item in existence was a single charge luck blade, being that it Paid you to buy it. Or whatever that one item that pays you to buy it is that isnt a Wand of the con artist

Blackhawk748
2014-11-13, 09:24 PM
Where? I must find this and i MUST template it.

Monsters of Tellene, and me and my friends have already created the Flying Aquatic Flaming Void-touched Tarranturasque. And yes i spelt that right. It was created explicitly to screw with one of our players, i think she was tempted to hit us all with the Warhammer we got her.

toapat
2014-11-13, 09:26 PM
Flying Aquatic Flaming Void-touched Tarranturasque.

click the second link in my signature.

Blackhawk748
2014-11-13, 09:29 PM
click the second link in my signature.

By the Valiant that thing is a horror. And now you cant even hide out on a ship WAAAAAY off shore.

Edit: Missed that fly speed, gotta hide WAAAAY underwater, which you cant from the Tellene version.

toapat
2014-11-13, 09:32 PM
By the Valiant that thing is a horror. And now you cant even hide out on a ship WAAAAAY off shore.

Edit: Missed that fly speed, gotta hide WAAAAY underwater, which you cant from the Tellene version.

its also spaceborn

and has something like a racial +40 to hide/move silently checks. Its a stealth Solar powered Spacedragon of LG doom.

apparently its fly speed is just high enough to travel through time with a flux capacitor

Blackhawk748
2014-11-13, 09:54 PM
its also spaceborn

and has something like a racial +40 to hide/move silently checks. Its a stealth Solar powered Spacedragon of LG doom.

apparently its fly speed is just high enough to travel through time with a flux capacitor

Aaaaand now you cant even escape it with Teleport Through Time, anyone who fights this thing is well and truly screwed.

Venger
2014-11-13, 10:00 PM
Aaaaand now you cant even escape it with Teleport Through Time, anyone who fights this thing is well and truly screwed.

unname still works, as per usual, though it's sort of annoying

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-13, 10:34 PM

Indeed. Unname yourself and you'll never have to fight it, ever :smallamused:

toapat
2014-11-14, 01:00 AM

hope that he didnt use the capture spellfire action on his last turn, and that your innitiative roll was higher then his natural +21, and it pierces his 9 foot thick ablative layers of spell resist and fortitude saves, and that he didnt use one of his Dimension Door SLAs to teleport on top of you from outside of your range to teleport towards him. And that hes not taking advantage of his ability to colonydrop you.

anyway, back to talking about broken magic items

Demidos
2014-11-14, 01:07 AM
Neither is quite "broken" but oh well.

Beads of Karma, considering they PAY YOU for them if you buy a necklace. Plus they're a nice item.

Talisman of the Disk. 500 gp, versatility through the roof. Imagine being surrounded by an army of floating disks. And the ability to summon disks at will. Yes, it is beautiful.

Venger
2014-11-14, 01:13 AM
Neither is quite "broken" but oh well.

Beads of Karma, considering they PAY YOU for them if you buy a necklace. Plus they're a nice item.

Talisman of the Disk. 500 gp, versatility through the roof. Imagine being surrounded by an army of floating disks. And the ability to summon disks at will. Yes, it is beautiful.

maybe they're hoping to receive good karma?

talisman of the disk isn't broken at all. am I missing something?

Tohsaka Rin
2014-11-14, 05:08 AM
The Nightblade of Arvandor, BoED.

As a standard action, you fling out as many stars as you can make ranged attack rolls. All are touch attacks. The damage isn't great, but it's Force damage, and ignores incorporeality and DR.

Don't think this is broken? Pick your best archer build. That's anywhere from 5-8 attacks, as a full-round action, right?

Ok, now do that as a standard action, instead.

Now imagine further enchanting this thing. Oh, and it's a longsword, which most classes can use (and elves, too) without too much effort.

EDIT: Oh yes, and it has no listed range limitation or increment. Have fun!

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-14, 05:13 AM

As a standard action, you fling out as many stars as you can make ranged attack rolls. All are touch attacks. The damage isn't great, but it's Force damage, and ignores incorporeality and DR.

Don't think this is broken? Pick your best archer build. That's anywhere from 5-8 attacks, as a full-round action, right?

Now imagine further enchanting this thing. Oh, and it's a longsword, which most classes can use (and elves, too) without too much effort.

Ooooh, that's good with Skirmish.

Tohsaka Rin
2014-11-14, 05:19 AM
And basically any Scout/X multiclass that has a feat that boosts skirmish, naturally.

Any ranged tricks you can perform, you can utilize with this sword.

...Except Splitting. But not everyone has access to that, so YMMV.

On the other hand, got a way to trip with ranged attacks? Enjoy being able to trip basically half a dozen people a turn. Or disarm, or knock-back.

Blackhawk748
2014-11-14, 06:56 AM

Disclaimer: It is mandatory that you scream an attack name loudly while attacking with this weapon

Tohsaka Rin
2014-11-14, 07:44 AM
Kuu-Ha-Zan, Wind Scar, Burst Knuckle, Shooting Stars, Excalibur, Getsuga Tensho...

Ok, this could last all day.

And I just remembered there was a feat that let you ricochet an attack into another target, but can't remember what it was. This could get out of hand if a few of the more savvy playgrounders get in on this.

...I might need another cup of coffee to handle that onslaught.

Venger
2014-11-14, 09:49 AM
And I just remembered there was a feat that let you ricochet an attack into another target, but can't remember what it was. This could get out of hand if a few of the more savvy playgrounders get in on this.

was it boomerang ricotchet?

Tohsaka Rin
2014-11-14, 09:59 AM
No, it wasn't, but that's one more option.

Cruuuud, I really need that cup of coffee, I just realised the horrors of putting aptitude on the Nightblade. ANYTHING you can do, you could now do with the blade.

...Oh dear lord, what have I just wrought?

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-14, 10:05 AM
No, it wasn't, but that's one more option.

Cruuuud, I really need that cup of coffee, I just realised the horrors of putting aptitude on the Nightblade. ANYTHING you can do, you could now do with the blade.

...Oh dear lord, what have I just wrought?

Three Mountains, biyatch.

Tohsaka Rin
2014-11-14, 10:17 AM
Well, not that.

I think we can agree that aptitude or not, you still need to use two weapons to get any effect out of styles that require two weapons to function.

It's not a matter of typing, but the minimum number of weapons required.

Aquillion
2014-11-14, 10:53 AM
Well, a Candle of Invocation is generally the crucial item for setting off a Pun-Pun loop. But being able to cast Gate is probably the least broken part of the entire combo, so I'm not sure it qualifies.The Candle is still outrageously broken.

Using it to gate in an Efreeti completely breaks everything; you can get wishes so cheaply that any adventuring party effectively has infinitely many.

But even without Efreeti -- even if you just use its Gate function the way you're supposed to -- it's still outrageously broken, giving you access to one of the most powerful spells in the game at a fraction of the price it would normally cost. At high levels, the gp cost of the candle is probably less of a concern than the XP cost of Gate, after all.

Rijan_Sai
2014-11-14, 11:25 AM

I don't know if this is what you are thinking of, but the vestige Leraje has the Ricochet ability. It states a single ranged attack as a standard action, but if the Nightblade uses a standard action to activate, you might be able to combine them...

Tohsaka Rin
2014-11-14, 12:01 PM
Oh wonderful, that's two different uses of ricochet.

*Sips decaf and Coffee Crisp hot chocolate.* This is getting serious... Three attacks per attack, for each ranged attack you have, as a standard action?

I don't usually use them, but I think this calls for a smiley. :smalleek: