PDA

View Full Version : Player looking for advice

sabayn
2014-11-12, 01:56 AM
In D&D 5e game I am currently playing, I am trying to get more into my character. Recently it has taken turn that I did not expect completely. The specifics are is I am monk who was had just lost his right arm, who was tricked into accepting a cursed arm from an evil god within the setting, by pretending to be my character's adopted father. The arm itself is great for combat, but I can't always control it as it has killed a commoner. In the last session, we attempted to cut it off, nearly killing me again. The end of the last session ended there after my arm regrew. Also it is a wererat arm. I am honestly not sure how to move forward, because it could lead to my character becoming twisted and corrupted.

BWR
2014-11-12, 03:17 AM
First question: what do you as a player want to happen?
Second question: what does your character want?

We can't answer these. If your character is truly afraid of losing control, and he should feel pretty damn guilty about the collateral damage, he should remove the arm, lock himself away where he can't hurt people or otherwise immediately try to find a way to get rid of the curse. If he doesn't think this is a big deal, he's pretty corrupt already.
As a player, do you care if he turns bad? Is the power worth losing control every now and then?

sabayn
2014-11-12, 03:28 AM
First question: what do you as a player want to happen?
Second question: what does your character want?

We can't answer these. If your character is truly afraid of losing control, and he should feel pretty damn guilty about the collateral damage, he should remove the arm, lock himself away where he can't hurt people or otherwise immediately try to find a way to get rid of the curse. If he doesn't think this is a big deal, he's pretty corrupt already.
As a player, do you care if he turns bad? Is the power worth losing control every now and then?

The reason my character is at this town is he followed a series of clues that match his father's seal. (Father is now dead) As a player, I just want him to develop in a meaningful way. If that he goes corrupt, I am okay with that. I also think the DM would let me keep control up to a point. I have never done Evil or corrupt, it just isn't something I have innately in me unless I go serial killer. Really character seeks the truth and trys to do right by the other people around him. I can play a Paladin pretty easily.

Sandwich Party
2014-11-12, 05:29 AM
That's a very interesting situation you are in. So, every time the corrupted arm gets chopped off, it regrows itself? That's messed up. Perhaps make a knowledge (religion) check on this curse and the evil god who placed it upon you? Petition the evil deity to remove it from you? Which is worse, having no arm at all, or having this corrupted arm?

Bulhakov
2014-11-12, 05:30 AM
I say make it clear to the party and DM that you're planning to quest to get rid of the arm and/or cleanse it somehow (as long as it doesn't derail any urgent main quests).

In the meantime, how about figuring out a way (chain? gauntlet? acupuncture? local paralysis magic?) to temporarily disable the arm whenever necessary.

Kid Jake
2014-11-12, 09:29 AM
In the meantime, how about figuring out a way (chain? gauntlet? acupuncture? local paralysis magic?) to temporarily disable the arm whenever necessary.

This has the secondary effect of being extremely badass. Keeping one arm chained behind your back because it's too good at killing and only releasing it for emergencies... If that's not already the premise of an anime, it should be.

braveheart
2014-11-12, 12:33 PM
The chain option actually is a really good idea, and you could let it loose when outside of cities and away from innocents. This seems like a viable long term solution, however it would also be pretty cool if you had it slowly corrupt the rest of him, not openly and not all at once, but slowly let your character become evil and greedy until one morning he wakes up and realizes how evil he has become and seeks redemption then.