PDA

View Full Version : Stances, Techniques and the way of the Fist

Stormcrow
2007-03-22, 07:21 PM
Forgive me in advance for this sacrelige.

I hate the monk class. Alot.

I know its called "Tome of Battle: The book of nine _swords_".
But i'd like to run martial artists who use their hands with the system of Stances and maneuvers. Thoughts?

Khantalas
2007-03-22, 07:22 PM
Swordsage adaptation part?

Deus Mortus
2007-03-22, 07:23 PM
I'd take the tiger claw or setting sun style with a swordsage and take that unarmed feat that let's your blows scale with level.

Douglas
2007-03-22, 07:26 PM
You can do that just fine. In fact, unarmed strike is one of the favored weapons of the Tiger Claw discipline. I don't think any of the ToB classes get Improved Unarmed Strike for free, though, so you'll have to either spend a feat on that or use spiked gauntlets. That, or talk your DM into houseruling it for you, or dip a single level in Monk.

Deus Mortus
2007-03-22, 07:30 PM
The two feats you want are improved unarmed strike and superior unarmed strike, the latter is in ToB. Get swordsage for further focusses for unarmed strike which you get through setting sun.

Stormcrow
2007-03-22, 07:53 PM
I mean to use it INSTEAD of monks in my campaign setting the Swordsage will become the monk equivilent with unarmed being one of many martial styles. Just like real martial artists.

Assassinfox
2007-03-22, 08:00 PM
I mean to use it INSTEAD of monks in my campaign setting the Swordsage will become the monk equivilent with unarmed being one of many martial styles. Just like real martial artists.

It'll work just fine. Shadow Hand, Setting Sun, Tiger Claw, AND Stone Dragon all have unarmed strikes as a favored weapon.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-22, 08:27 PM
Yeah. Take the swordsage (as-is), replace proficiencies with that of the monk, add unarmed strike damage as a monk. Voila.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-03-22, 08:29 PM
Yet another melee class is vastly improved upon via ToB. Drinks and high fives all around!

Khantalas
2007-03-22, 08:30 PM
Yeah. Take the swordsage (as-is), replace proficiencies with that of the monk, add unarmed strike damage as a monk. Voila.

Which is basically a swordsage with the changes in adaptation part. Which I mentioned.

Am I even here?

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-03-22, 08:31 PM
^ Who was that chick?

Stormcrow
2007-03-22, 09:14 PM
Thankyou Khantalas Thankyou Everyone.

Behold_the_Void
2007-03-22, 09:46 PM
Just remember, while the Swordsage adaption removes light armor proficiency and gives unarmed strike as monk, it does not forbid them from wearing, say, a Mithral Chainshirt or a Masterwork suit of Studded Leather and still gain all of the benefits of their class without that nasty armor check penalty getting in the way. So if you want the unarmored monk thing, you might want to rule against that in some way.

Jack Mann
2007-03-22, 09:53 PM
Customer service has said that the intention is for the swordsage's wisdom to AC to apply when unarmored in the adaptation. Just use that ruling, and you'll be fine.

Gee, I wonder if Khantalas is going to post in this thread? Haven't seen him around in ages...

silentknight
2007-03-22, 10:22 PM
Good idea. I just wish that they had concentrated on armed combat for the Book of Nine Swords (ergo the name) and done another Tome of Battle for unarmed combat.

Zincorium
2007-03-22, 10:32 PM
Good idea. I just wish that they had concentrated on armed combat for the Book of Nine Swords (ergo the name) and done another Tome of Battle for unarmed combat.

All three classes, without some sort of adaptation, are primarily useful for people who use weapons other than unarmed. There is one feat which significantly improves unarmed strike. There is an option among four of the nine disciplines to use an unarmed strike, leaving five that do not.

Tome of Battle is about armed combat. And there isn't a whole lot more you can do for unarmed, so if WotC did make a book there's a good chance not many copies would sell.

marjan
2007-03-22, 10:43 PM
Gee, I wonder if Khantalas is going to post in this thread? Haven't seen him around in ages...
Who's this Khantalas guy anyway?:smallsmile:

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-03-22, 10:56 PM
Guy? I thought it was butter spread.

marjan
2007-03-22, 11:07 PM
Guy? I thought it was butter spread.

Isn't that meaning of word guy, or my English is simply that bad?

Jack Mann
2007-03-22, 11:09 PM
Isn't the guy what the English burn on the fifth of November?

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-03-22, 11:12 PM
Okay, that settles it then. From this day forth, Khantalas means butter spread!

Delicious, delicious butter spread.

NEO|Phyte
2007-03-22, 11:23 PM
Eh, armed and unarmed combat is fine and dandy, what I wanna see is some love for Grappling.

The only PrC that is based around grappling (Reaping Mauler, if there are others, I don't know where) implodes on itself if you increase your size past Medium, due to the funky rules or whatever that make you lose PrC abilities if you no longer qualify for the PrC. Then there is all of 2 feats (that I know of) that improve your ability to grapple. Improved Grapple, and Earth's Embrace. (This is ignoring feats such as Weapon Focus, as they are not specifically for grappling), as well as a handful of feats that are useful for escaping a grapple.

Mind you, even with such an utter lack of stuff to add, I'd say that my grapple build came out nicely. Nothing like grappling things from 1200' away...

Anywho, I'd apologize for going offtopic, but its a bit late for that.

SpiderBrigade
2007-03-22, 11:36 PM
Isn't that meaning of word guy, or my English is simply that bad?
that's ghee. You can also wear it for karate.

kamikasei
2007-03-23, 08:05 AM
that's ghee. You can also wear it for karate.

No, in karate you wear a gi.

Shisumo
2007-03-23, 08:34 AM
All three classes, without some sort of adaptation, are primarily useful for people who use weapons other than unarmed. There is one feat which significantly improves unarmed strike. There is an option among four of the nine disciplines to use an unarmed strike, leaving five that do not.

Technically, almost all the maneuvers and stances in ToB can be used with unarmed strikes. The maneuvers that cannot specifically say so; beyond that, there are a few feats and a class ability of swordsages that reference the associated weapons. In general, however, you can use most maneuvers with unarmed strikes regardless of whether unarmed strikes are associated with the discipline or not.

JoeFredBob
2007-03-23, 11:21 AM
"Remember, remember, the fifth of November, the gunpoweder treason and plot. I know no reason the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot."

Sorry, not adding anything. Move along.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-03-23, 11:46 AM
Huh. So we burn Khantalas with gunpowder on the fifth of November? But what if I want butter spread for my toast that morning?

elliott20
2007-03-23, 11:51 AM
Huh. So we burn Khantalas with gunpowder on the fifth of November? But what if I want butter spread for my toast that morning?
wait, if Khantalas is a butter spread, are we supposed to say, "I can't believe it's not Khantalas" now?

Fax Celestis
2007-03-23, 11:52 AM
wait, if Khantalas is a butter spread, are we supposed to say, "I can't believe it's not Khantalas" now?

Yes. We are.

I Can't Believe It's Not Khantalas!

silentknight
2007-03-23, 12:29 PM
Well I have always been disappointed that I can't get the classic "wire-fu" feel with monk class. You can some pretty cool stuff with ToB, but I would certainly buy a new ToB that concentrates on martial arts (like judo, karate, and such)

elliott20
2007-03-23, 12:40 PM
quintessential monk has a good number of things for that.

SpiderBrigade
2007-03-23, 05:43 PM
No, in karate you wear a gi....right, that was the joke

silentknight
2007-03-23, 05:46 PM
Quintessential Monk you say? Very interesting.