PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Trying to get idea for fun core-class characters

JW86
2014-11-12, 06:23 AM
Hi,

My DM is starting a new campaign. We have a couple of new players, and we are being asked to keep it to PHB, DMG and Tome of Magic for race,class,feats,spells, everything.

Originally, before realising his restrictions, I wanted to play a Warlock/Binder/Hellfire Warlock/Sorcerer/Eldritch Disciple build. Don't think I will get away with that now.

I posted previously for ideas for making a decent Sorcerer - http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?382742-3-5-Sorcerer-Blasting-build-limited-to-PHB-ToM&highlight=sorcerer+warlock

But since having clarified that feats and spells are limited to PHB and tome of magic as well, took wind out of my sails - I was wanting to play with wings of flurry/cover, arcane fusion&spellsurge, orb of fire etc.

My issue I think is that I really enjoy making interesting, somewhat optimised, flavoursome builds.. and now I am being limited to core I am finding it a bit difficult to get inspired.

DM understands I am a little stunted, and has said that at an absolute push he could -perhaps- allow a tome of battle class, or one of the base 4 core psionic classes, but has asked me to try and keep it to core & ToM if at all possible.

We are starting at level 2, with no gear, although knowing his DM style we would acquire basic gear fairly quickly. Stats I have rolled are 14, 13, 13, 12, 12, 11.

So far we are a party of four - one cleric (other somewhat experienced player, non-optimiser), one ranger (archery, newb) and one unknown (newb)

I suppose I am asking for some ideas on how to make Core as fun as possible. In sense of some good race & class combos, ways of using core to create something a little unique. So, roleplaying/character ideas from creative folk please as I am feeling a little underwhelmed right now.

The other thread gave some Sorc suggestions, I might be able to push a pyromaniac blaster using Flaming Sphere, Pyrotechnics, Fireball... but I would really like some fun creative suggestions.

I normally enjoy blasters, gishes, agile melee combatants.. but am reasonably open to other options as long as they are inspiring/enjoyable.

Appreciate any responses..

Thanks!

Red Fel
2014-11-12, 08:26 AM
You keep saying "Core" as if the term has some independent meaning. You really have to be more specific. Do you mean... Just PHB and DMG? Those, plus MIC and SPC? Those, plus PHB II? How many MMs, if any?
There have even been posters who included Completes in "Core." It's really not a term with a single meaning.

So, let's try this again. What specific books are available to you? Are they the same books that you mentioned in the other thread (PHB and ToM)? Because that's a thoroughly narrow selection.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-12, 08:34 AM
Those are rather poor stats; I would recommend a Binder or Warlock, since they aren't too stats-dependent.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-11-12, 08:53 AM
Presuming that "core" is the core rulebooks, how about wizard into loremaster? or sorcerer/binder into anima mage?

JW86
2014-11-12, 10:11 AM
Thank you for your replies.

Red_Fel - I remember your help from previous threads, always good advice and glad you have noticed this thread. To explain, sorry, the DM is allowing PHB, ToM and I assume DMG. d20srd.org seems to be okay, although DM is hesitant to allow psionics. No PHB2, No "Complete" series. No Spell or Magic item Compendium. In regards to MM, I do not know. I would assume limited access again.

So yeah, thoroughly narrow selection.

Unforunately, Warlock is not in either of those books, so is unavailable - which is a shame, because it would have been a fun basic class to play.

I am considering going for Sorcerer, but without Orb of Fire, Arcane Fusion/Spellsurge, Wings of Cover/Flurry, Arcane Thesis, etc. I think it will be a bit less fun. I could use Flaming Sphere and Pyrotechnic shenanigans for a few fun tactical options, at least?

Just reading Binder I felt pretty uninspired, beyond binding Naberius for the diplomacy buffs and disguise self. Can anybody illustrate any positive roleplaying potential for a Binder?

Hm, what is the best pyromaniac you guys can think of working with the limited selection of books? Might be an idea.

The current compromises I would like to suggest to DM are:

Sorcerer - if allowing Combust, Wings of Cover, Wings of Flurry, Orb of Fire, Arcane Fusion, Arcane Spellsurge, Greater Arcane Fusion, and Arcane Thesis

Warlock - promise to keep it simple and not abuse it.
Psion Kineticist or Shaper blaster, again keep it simple.
If the other new player goes caster or ranged and I need to take melee, to let me go Barbarian into Warblade for a bit of variety. Although my stats are a bit poor for going primary melee.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-12, 10:18 AM
A note regarding full casters: Unless you play a race that boosts your casting stat, you won't have access to ninth-level spells until 20th level because of the scores you rolled.

JW86
2014-11-12, 10:45 AM
Yeah, the first time I rolled I got 8, 9, 9, 9, 11, 12. I gave myself a free re-roll without consulting DM the stats were -that- terrible.

I just rolled again out of curiosity and got 17, 16, 14, 14, 14, 11. Think if I explain this all to my DM he'll insist I stick with the middle set of rolls :P

Psyren
2014-11-12, 10:48 AM
A note regarding full casters: Unless you play a race that boosts your casting stat, you won't have access to ninth-level spells until 20th level because of the scores you rolled.

Nah he can get a +4 mental stat item long before that.

@OP: The obvious core choice with your unfortunately crappy stats is Druid. Drop the 14 in Wis and the 13 in Con and just do your best.

JW86
2014-11-12, 11:30 AM

@OP: The obvious core choice with your unfortunately crappy stats is Druid. Drop the 14 in Wis and the 13 in Con and just do your best.

Fine. His name is Scrumpy, and he rarely bathes. Druid it is.

Druid are powerful, and flexible to cover party needs, I guess.

Any advice on building a good PHB Druid?

And I will save my awesome stat role for when this guy dies :)

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-12, 11:34 AM
Any advice on building a good PHB Druid?

Feat priority: Natural Spell, SF (Conj) + Augment Summoning, Improved Initiative, Flyby Attack, [something else]

Snowbluff
2014-11-12, 01:13 PM

I agree. I would even suggest putting the 14 in con. A few more HP might help.

JW86
2014-11-13, 03:05 PM
I'm going to style him on the Big Lebowski. Hairy, smelly Druid living on a small wooden hut on the outskirts of a village adjacent woodland. Likes to get high on Moon Mushrooms and Whistleroot and Dream Mint etc.

Kind of a Radagast.

I will not worry too much about optimisation, or even items at this point, because he's so damn vacant minded.

Should be fun. Thanks for the help.

And when he dies, I have awesome stats ready for the next character and DM may allow some of the Race of Dragon/Spell Compendium spells then so can go for a watered-down Mailman Sorc :D

Flickerdart
2014-11-13, 03:21 PM
If anything on d20srd.org is kosher, I recommend trying an Illusionist build - Wizard 2 (Shadow Shaper)/Human Paragon 3/Assassin 3/Arcane Trickster 10/Loremaster 2. Skulk around in the shadows, summoning minions and illusions to harass your foes while you study them for a Death Attack or use Ranged Legerdemain to rob them without them ever suspecting a thing. It's not uber-powerful (you lose 4 caster levels) but it's something a little different.