PDA

View Full Version : Spells to Ex abilities

Renen
2014-11-12, 11:51 AM
If you allow any method (full on cheese), can you turn a spell into a Ex ability. Or cast is as if its ex? Just need to have ability to say that a spell counts as Ex instead of being Su or an actual "spell"

DarkSonic1337
2014-11-12, 11:53 AM
Swiftblade makes Haste an EX ability after you cast it on yourself. Pretty neat.

Renen
2014-11-12, 12:08 PM
Any way to cheese that into "Wish as Ex ability" for example.

Rubik
2014-11-12, 12:29 PM
Any way to cheese that into "Wish as Ex ability" for example.There is a category of item in Ravenloft: Legacy of the Blood called "devices" that allows any magic item to be created as a nonmagical item with otherwise identical effects, which does exactly what you want, albeit in a slightly roundabout way. Craft a ring of three Wishes device, along with the fuel cell (battery) to run it, and you can cast non-magical Wishes.

The only downsides to devices are that they require a rather expensive fuel cell with limited charges that is quite likely to explode in your face if you use it wrong, as well as the fact that, since they're nonmagical, you can't detect them as you would with magic items, nor can you UMD them.

Renen
2014-11-12, 12:33 PM
So say something auto-wrecks yoy if you:
1) attack it
2) Target it with a spell
3) use spell like ability on it
4) Use Su ability on it.

Will this non-magical ring of wishes work?
:D

Rubik
2014-11-12, 12:38 PM
So say something auto-wrecks yoy you if you:
1) attack it
2) Target it with a spell
3) use spell like ability on it
4) Use Su ability on it.

Will this non-magical ring of wishes work?
:DWell, depending on what you use the ring for, it would probably count as #1, though if you, say, Wished it into the sun, you'd probably be safe until and unless it found a way to survive and return.

aleucard
2014-11-12, 12:46 PM
Do bear in mind that this is the sort of thing that, if done, can very easily result in a DM trying to make you inhale your own character sheet whole (that is, with it ending up in your lungs). Pulling it AS a DM is less dangerous, though if you use it more than maybe once to the detriment of the party without giving them equal access you are by definition outnumbered. Nobody likes feeling like they're in a sniper's scope at ALL times, and there's less dickish ways of doing it if you really want anyway.

HolyCouncilMagi
2014-11-12, 01:07 PM
So, I don't advocate this if your DM has heard of Pun-Pun because he'll likely assume the worst instead of giving you a chance, but y'know, Sarruhks have other uses than ascending to Pun-Pun status... For example, getting Ex abilities of spells you like. Your DM will either rule that Manipulate Form gives you any ability that's been written, or any ability you can think of whether it's been written or not. If the latter, go ahead and get Ex Wish. If the former, Wish itself is probably out since I've never seen it Ex, but there are still some fantastic Ex abilities to cherrypick from.

Avoid abuse, for obvious reasons. (Then again, Ex Wish sounds sorta abusive.)

Edit: Whoops, somebody already pointed this out. Oh well.

Renen
2014-11-12, 01:19 PM
Well I did say full on cheese. This isnt for a game. I dont understand people that come just to point out that this is obviously OP. I know that no sane DM would let this slide.

BrokenChord
2014-11-12, 01:27 PM
Well I did say full on cheese. This isnt for a game. I dont understand people that come just to point out that this is obviously OP. I know that no sane DM would let this slide.

I don't know what this "sane DM" creature is... But it sounds so boring. I personally wouldn't see a reason not to allow this in the right kind of game.