PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Getting a meaningful backstory from players

RealMarkP
2014-11-12, 02:20 PM
I started a new campaign and the players have given me a one or two sentence backstory. I understand the reluctance with writing a long story, but it doesn't help me write an engaging campaign. So what I did was ask them 10 questions pertaining to their character. It helped, but I still have a player that gives me very generic answers:

What does he want to do with life?
To wrestle.

I'm trying to break the one-dimensional mold that he is stuck in. I've decided to give all my players one question before each session. I am debating if I should reward them with XP for writing up something meaninful. But what I'm looking for are things that I could ask them about?

Here are a few that I thought of so far:
- Does your character have a scar or tattoo? What is the story behind it?
- What is the largest creature that your character has fought? How did the fight go?
- Did your character ever possess an item of great worth or power? What happened to it?

Now, I'm not expecting a multi-paragraph answer from them. What I am trying to do is for them to slowly write a backstory and also to give me, as the DM, ideas for how to integrate their ideas into a story. What do you think of this approach?

BWR
2014-11-12, 02:35 PM
L5r has the 20 questions (http://l5rmisty.wordpress.com/2008/09/15/the-20-questions-of-l5r/) most players should attempt to answer at character creation. These are rather setting specific but can give you some idea of what to ask.
What I've found to be most important for getting a fully fleshed character at the beginning of a game is knowing the setting well. If there is a lot of setting fluff for me to get interested in, it's a lot easier to answer questions about backstory. In games where the setting is vague or unfamiliar, I'll generally make a bunch of mechanics and develop character in play.

Note that backstories are not necessary for good characters or roleplaying. They can help, but there have been plenty of times I've made a backstory and a personality for my PC which is later ignored or latered in play. If you want to incorporate backstories into a game, good for you but that very quickly brings one PC to the front of a particular adventure or set of adventures, and not all players appreciate their characters being less important to the goings-on than others - make sure your players are ok with this. The other issue that one backstory might make some conflict with another, and not the makes-a-good-game type of conflict.

Thrudd
2014-11-12, 02:49 PM
I started a new campaign and the players have given me a one or two sentence backstory. I understand the reluctance with writing a long story, but it doesn't help me write an engaging campaign. So what I did was ask them 10 questions pertaining to their character. It helped, but I still have a player that gives me very generic answers:

What does he want to do with life?
To wrestle.

I'm trying to break the one-dimensional mold that he is stuck in. I've decided to give all my players one question before each session. I am debating if I should reward them with XP for writing up something meaninful. But what I'm looking for are things that I could ask them about?

Here are a few that I thought of so far:
- Does your character have a scar or tattoo? What is the story behind it?
- What is the largest creature that your character has fought? How did the fight go?
- Did your character ever possess an item of great worth or power? What happened to it?

Now, I'm not expecting a multi-paragraph answer from them. What I am trying to do is for them to slowly write a backstory and also to give me, as the DM, ideas for how to integrate their ideas into a story. What do you think of this approach?

How much do the players know about the setting? It is easier to come up with details when the player has setting info to work with.

Asking questions is a good way to get backgrounds, just make sure they aren't too specific. "Why is your character an adventurer?"
"What do they hope to gain from adventures?"
"What is or was your most prized possession?"
"What is your families' profession or trade or social position?"

Milodiah
2014-11-12, 02:58 PM
How much do the players know about the setting? It is easier to come up with details when the player has setting info to work with.

Absolutely. I was once asked to come up with a backstory for a game with zero setting knowledge, and it ended up having things like "{Insert Biggest Dwarf City Here}" in it. Because what else can you do with that?

TheFamilarRaven
2014-11-12, 03:06 PM
Sounds like he's the kind of player just wants to play the game, rather than play a character, and that's fine.

I'd recommend handing out bonuses or goodies for solid backgrounds. Positive reinforcement and all that.

Alternatively, ignore and deal with it. If all he wants to do is play, then he'll stick around with the other characters regardless. Make the campaign about the other characters and he'll just be along for the ride. IF he complains then you can bring up the pint that he didn't really give you much to go on. Or mention how his character doesn't really seem invested in any events that are happening

It's only a problem if he comes up with a half-assed backstory, and then runs around like a murder-hobo, derailing the plot.

Comet
2014-11-12, 03:19 PM
Whatever he comes up with, even if it's just a little, is there for you to use. Say "yeah, that's cool!" and press on those buttons again and again, with little nods and bigger story arcs that directly relate to what he has said.

The player probably doesn't understand what backstories do. For him they're just an arbitrary test you put the players through before allowing them to play. Prove him wrong, make sure he notices that the things he put on there actually change how the game works.

Also, as has been said, you don't have to require all the information up-front. As has been said, sometimes it's easier to develop a character as you learn about the world alongside him or her. Again, bounce on those character moments, however small, when they finally do show up.

Your questions are a good idea, though. I'm not personally a huge fan of xp-for-roleplaying, at least when it's given out by the GM, but it might work for you if nothing else does.

RealMarkP
2014-11-12, 03:31 PM

Before we started, I sent them some info on the Kingdoms of Kalamar setting, the races, and some write up on Kalamar itself. I can tell one of my players dove into it head first and knows a lot about Kalamar now. The guy that wants to wrestle probably didn't read it. I think he half-assed character creation so what I'm defaulting to is trying to help him create a persona that is not one-dimensional.

L5r has the 20 questions most players should attempt to answer at character creation.

These look interesting, thanks. How do you keep your player from responding with one word answers? Do you think the XP reward is enough?

Hunter Noventa
2014-11-12, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Campaign from pathfinder has an entire section dedicated to helping players come up with their background, you could try directing the player there, but then they might just do random rolls to get it over with, but it can still be a helpful resource, and is found for free here. (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCampaign/characterBackground.html)

Kid Jake
2014-11-12, 03:51 PM
If you award them xp for answering questions elaborately, then be prepared for them to answer with the most elaborate thing they can to get the xp and then promptly forget about it.

It's hard to cajole a meaningful backstory out of players sometimes, but being vague isn't always bad. It gives you room to build the backstory in play as you go along.

In a game I've been running the PCs started out as completely blank slates, but one of them mentioned coming from money. So I introduced a plot about thugs trying to muscle in on his family business a session or two later and we fleshed out his relationship with his father and why he doesn't have access to his family's fortune anymore. Another PC mentioned being a father even though he hadn't seen his kids in a while, it started off almost as a joke but he's since reconnected with his kids IC.

If all the guy wants to do is wrestle then run with that. There's plenty of characters in fiction who's defining characteristic is a drive to be the best in his chosen field of violence. Introduce rivals, teachers and the occasional fan and he should get sucked in as much as those with more detailed objectives.

RealMarkP
2014-11-12, 03:55 PM
...but then they might just do random rolls to get it over with...[/URL]

This is the crux of the issue. I'm hoping to use it to my advantage, as a mechanic to invoke quick and easy answers that will, over time, amount to something. I am perfectly fine with players developing their characters as they go.

NikitaDarkstar
2014-11-12, 05:25 PM
This is probably going to sound obvious, but have you tried just talking to the player, one-on-one to find out what he actually wants or expects from a game? Perhaps he's not THAT into the genre, perhaps he just wants to get on with it and kill things, perhaps he feels like anything he'd come up with would sound silly and don't want to embarrass himself. But before you start cajoling and trying to make players do certain things make sure it's something they actually want to do, otherwise you may just make matters worse for him. Sp yhea, have a one-on-one with him and see what's going on and then go from there.

sabayn
2014-11-12, 05:49 PM
In my group we actually use this method for creating back stories.

10-minute background
Step 1: Write 5 background and concept elements that you feel are important to your image of the character. These can be a concept overview, a list of important life events, a physical description, a personality profile...whatever you need to get an image in your mind. 5 is just a minimum...more elements are encouraged!

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

Step 2: List at least two goals for the character. At least one of these goals should be one that the character has, while another should be one that you, as a player, want to see developed over the course of the game.

1)
2)

Step 3: List at least two secrets about your character. One is a secret the character knows, one is a secret that involves him but that he is not actually aware of yet. This will help me in creating plots that center around your character. I will also be creating a third secret which you as a player will not be aware of, so expect some surprises!
1)
2)
3)
Step 4: Describe at least three people that are tied to the character. Two of them are friendly to the character, one is hostile. If you like, you can include an enemy of yours here as well, so I have an instant NPC nemesis to throw at you.
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
Step 5: Describe three memories, mannerisms, or quirks that your character has. They don't have to be elaborate, but they should provide some context and flavor.
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

Here is a character I created using this method.

Carric Tanner (Ilphelkiir)
Step 1: Write 5 background and concept elements that you feel are important to your image of the character. These can be a concept overview, a list of important life events, a physical description, a personality profile...whatever you need to get an image in your mind. 5 is just a minimum...more elements are encouraged!

1) Carric Ilphelkiir grew up on the streets of Sih’ Hausi. He never met his father. He knew his mother for a short time. She had been a half-elf whore. Her parents had been a pair of nobles having an affair. Her father had been human but her mother had been elven. She was kept as a house maid to the human noble but after he died of old age she was turned out on the streets. She was taken in by Madam Lia Nai'lo. She was a kind brothel owner. Mialee Marsk is Carric’s mother. Carric also has a younger human half-sister, Zora Marsk, who he deeply cares for. During Zora’s birth Mialee died. Carric was 7. Carric and Zora stayed with Madam Lia in the brothel. Carric and Zora was raised by all of the whores.
2) Carric knows his way around the streets of Sih’ Hausi. He had several run-ins with the city guards throughout his youth. He might still be wanted by the captain of the guard. Trespassing, pickpocketing, and burglary were most common. When he was 12 or 13, he stole from a traveling monk’s belt pouch. Carric thought he got away but when he returned to Madam Lia’s House of Nightly Pleasures, the monk was there. He asked for his pouch back. Carric returned it, though it was empty. When asked why he only returned the pouch, Carric said that only the pouch as asked for, not what was contained. The Monk found it amusing nodded taking in the answer. The monk left with the pouch. Later that evening, Carric found a note in with the coin he had taken from the monk. The Note read:
“If you would like to find meaning beyond just existing to take coin purses. Follow me, Find me. -Sian Thia”
3) Carric ran down stairs to find Madam Lia. Lia told him what she knew about the monk. Carric told her his plan if he could find the monk. He wanted her to get Zora ready so that she could go with them. Madam Lia gave her blessing for Carric to find the monk. They would discuss Zora after he returned. Carric rushed out the door and into the streets. Carric felt a something at his own pocket where he found another note. It continued for several hours as the monk continuously placed new notes in his pocket as clues. Carric eventually found the Monk at the place where he originally took his coin purse. Carric agreed to go with the monk if his sister could come with. The monk agreed easily.
4) Carric returned with the monk to the House of Nightly Pleasures. Carric packed his things. Madam Lia didn’t let them take Zora saying that she was too young to go so far. Carric told that her would be back for Zora. That next morning they boarded a boat headed for an unmarked small island where Carric would train and hone his skills at the Five Dragons Monastery where he learned the Way of the Dragon martial arts.
5) Carric found he had a natural aptitude for martials arts. He would often write Madam Lia and Zora. He never did hear back from her.
6) After 20 years, Sian Thia passed away from old age. He left the belt pouch had been stolen to Carric. After about a year after Sian’s death, Carric reached first Dan. There are Nine achievable Dans, or levels of black belts. There is a tenth that is usually given after posthumously.
7) Carric left on his walkabout after achieving First Dan. He has been walking in the direction of the wind. He hopes that the wind will one day take him back to Sih’Hausi to find his sister.
8) Carric is a lean wood-elf. He is nimble and lithe. He carries himself with a gentleness, confidence, and compassion. He has leather combat gauntlets and matching shin and foot guards. (Think muay thai hand and leg wraps.) He favors the quarterstaff over any other weapon, but most often fights with his hands and feet. His hair is a copperish red hue. He keeps it quite short after sparing match had involved pulling his hair. His eyes are two different colors. One is green whereas the other is copper. His ears are not as pointed as most elves suggesting he isn’t a pureblooded wood-elf.

Step 2: List at least two goals for the character. At least one of these goals should be one that the character has, while another should be one that you, as a player, want to see developed over the course of the game.

1) He wants to find his sister.
2) I want to get back to older RP and actually RP a character and not be focused on stats.

Step 3: List at least two secrets about your character. One is a secret the character knows, one is a secret that involves him but that he is not actually aware of yet. This will help me in creating plots that center around your character. I will also be creating a third secret which you as a player will not be aware of, so expect some surprises!
1) Carric is very attached to the belt pouch that Sian left him.
2) Madam Lia was glad to be rid of Carric, as he had been bringing attention to the brothel with the city guard.
Step 4: Describe at least three people that are tied to the character. Two of them are friendly to the character, one is hostile. If you like, you can include an enemy of yours here as well, so I have an instant NPC nemesis to throw at you.
1) Sian Thia is the monk that took Carric in. He was nearing the end of his life when he ran into Carric. He saw Carric as a son and would often engage him in conversation to challenge his thought processes.
2) Zora Marsk is Carric’s human half-sister who he had to leave behind. During her childbirth Mialee Marsk died.
3) Captain Ausk Amakiir is the captain of the guard from when Carric lived in Sih’Hausi. Ausk has a long memory, and will most likely remember Carric. He is a Lawful Neutral High Elf Fighter.
4) Madam Lia Nai'lo is the Mistress of the House of Nightly Pleasures. They primarily appeal to human merchant clients with promises of ‘exotic beauty’ She is an Elven woman who has outlived most of her ‘girls’. She most often uses half-elven women who were born in the brothel.
5) Kendrik Ilmeti is a high elven sparring partner from the Monastery. They were not directly enemies, they were often rivals. They having a running defeat-win ratio that is within a point of each other.
Step 5: Describe three memories, mannerisms, or quirks that your character has. They don't have to be elaborate, but they should provide some context and flavor.
1) Carric vividly remembers three events in his life. The day his mother died, the day he left his sister behind, and the day Sian died.
2) Carric will often work out and practice his art. He likes to spar others in order to keep his edge sharp.
3) Carric has become a generous man having taken lessons from Sian. He tries to give children sweets or something they might need.
4) Carric is slow to respond thinking about his reactions. He will often pause and think about how he should react.

Red Fel
2014-11-12, 05:54 PM
Whatever he comes up with, even if it's just a little, is there for you to use. Say "yeah, that's cool!" and press on those buttons again and again, with little nods and bigger story arcs that directly relate to what he has said. (Emphasis added.)

This. It's one thing to have a bullet-point questionnaire with a bunch of individual inquiries. That's fine when the player is in the backstory-writing mindset. When they're not, however, you have to focus your fire. He says he wants to wrestle? Follow that up with more questions. How did he get started wrestling? What does wrestling mean to him? Does he have any wrestling heroes? What will he do if he ever achieves his dream? Things like that. Every time he gives you something you can work with, jump on it. Were there wrestlers in his family? Rivals? Friends? Keep going from there.

This is probably going to sound obvious, but have you tried just talking to the player, one-on-one to find out what he actually wants or expects from a game?

Also a world of this. As others have mentioned, it's possible he just wants to play the game, and is less interested in the story- or character-driven aspects of it. And that can work, as long as you know what he wants and have a way to satisfy him while also satisfying the other players.

Another possibility is that he simply hasn't thought about, or isn't good at expressing, his character's background. Sometimes a one-on-one chat can help a player flesh out a character in ways that a questionnaire or written backstory might not. Some people are better at creating when engaged in an actual dialogue rather than a one-sided story or a series of questions.

Either way, talking to the player will prove helpful for both him and for you.

Vitruviansquid
2014-11-12, 06:38 PM
Just to be a contrarian here:

The more RPG I play, the less I'm convinced a backstory is necessary. A major source of fun in the RPG is creating your character's story as you play, and backstories are surprisingly irrelevant to that. People spend too much time caring what happened to a character in someone's head before the campaign when what really matters is what happens to the character during the campaign. In fact, a lot of times, I find backstories make the game less fun. The more involved your backstory is, the more it impedes your ability to create your character's story in play. When a major event happens in play, it is more transformative for a character the more of a blank canvas your character is. Now, this isn't to say all characters should be faceless, lifeless drones at the beginning of your campaign, but most backstories are way too overwrought. A simple backstory, with something like a hometown, a personality quirk, and an uncomplicated life goal, such as "I want to wrestle," can easily be enough for a character.

Thrudd
2014-11-12, 09:10 PM

The more RPG I play, the less I'm convinced a backstory is necessary. A major source of fun in the RPG is creating your character's story as you play, and backstories are surprisingly irrelevant to that. People spend too much time caring what happened to a character in someone's head before the campaign when what really matters is what happens to the character during the campaign. In fact, a lot of times, I find backstories make the game less fun. The more involved your backstory is, the more it impedes your ability to create your character's story in play. When a major event happens in play, it is more transformative for a character the more of a blank canvas your character is. Now, this isn't to say all characters should be faceless, lifeless drones at the beginning of your campaign, but most backstories are way too overwrought. A simple backstory, with something like a hometown, a personality quirk, and an uncomplicated life goal, such as "I want to wrestle," can easily be enough for a character.

I agree with this. I prefer little background. A character is defined by what they accomplish during the game.

Red Fel
2014-11-12, 09:17 PM
I agree with this. I prefer little background. A character is defined by what they accomplish during the game.

In my mind, backstory isn't just about telling the player who his character is. He knows who he is, and can develop him over the course of the game.

Of course, helping to expand on your character is one thing backstory can accomplish, and it's great when that works. In fact, I find it can make the character more dynamic - coming from background X but shifting to personality Y can be fascinating to observe. But that's not the only purpose.

For me, part of the purpose of backstory is plot hooks. If your character has no personal history, the only way for the GM to work the character into the game world is based on the character's conduct. That's fine if you're a fantastic roleplayer, if you have a script for encountering new NPCs and manage to make a powerful impression on those you meet. But if all you do is sit in the corner and kill things, there's not much a GM can do to make it feel like you're a vital part of the story.

Enter backstory. The GM has a record of your PC's life, his dreams, his interests; his family and friends, rivals and enemies. His home, his hopes, his heart. And the GM can use all of that. Your sister got kidnapped. The farm is under attack. The legendary sword you've always searched for may soon be within your reach. That prestigious academy may be interested in your tuition after all. Your unique experience studying cave paintings may save the party's life. And so forth.

A backstory isn't just for the player's benefit. It can enable the GM to create situations which your PC, due to his unique life experiences, may be uniquely equipped to address. This allows the player to feel like his character is a vital actor in the world and in the party's story, rather than simply a set of stats and skill rolls.

YossarianLives
2014-11-12, 10:08 PM
-snip-
Your players give even a few sentences of backstory? Wow! That's amazing I wish I had such good roleplayers in my party.

NikitaDarkstar
2014-11-12, 11:17 PM
-snippity-

All of this basically. It doesn't have to be long or elaborate, but a person doesn't just pop into existence, and neither should a character. For everyone's enjoyment (unless it's a pure dungeon crawl/arena game) offer SOMETHING in the way of backstory and motivation.

Nagash
2014-11-13, 02:56 AM
meh i've never liked backstories as a player or GM.

As GM i find them to often be overwrought, obnoxious excuses for one player to make everyone else at the table sit and play second fiddle to them while they occasionally pursue a personal goal thats totally irrelevant to them or the greater campaign. And thats just a big waste of time and middle finger to the rest of the table. Give me 2 or 3 sentences that explain why you chose an extremely high risk job like adventurer and we're good to go.

And as a player I have no interest in playing my characters backstory. Thats crap that happpened before the game, I want to play the game instead and I've honestly flat out quit groups where the GM forced a backstory out of everybody or de-facto penalized people for not having one (and yes giving some people XP and not others IS a defacto penalty).

NikitaDarkstar
2014-11-13, 03:17 AM
meh i've never liked backstories as a player or GM.

As GM i find them to often be overwrought, obnoxious excuses for one player to make everyone else at the table sit and play second fiddle to them while they occasionally pursue a personal goal thats totally irrelevant to them or the greater campaign. And thats just a big waste of time and middle finger to the rest of the table. Give me 2 or 3 sentences that explain why you chose an extremely high risk job like adventurer and we're good to go.

And as a player I have no interest in playing my characters backstory. Thats crap that happpened before the game, I want to play the game instead and I've honestly flat out quit groups where the GM forced a backstory out of everybody or de-facto penalized people for not having one (and yes giving some people XP and not others IS a defacto penalty).

Even 2-3 sentences is something. It's a backstory. It may be less than some people like, but it's something, it at the very least, as you said, explains why you're an adventurer, and it's something a DM can build on.

Bob the Fighter that fights things however? Not impossible to work with, but you have to admit it'd be harder (unless you're doing a dungeon crawl/arena game where all you need is a stat-block). But Bob the Fighter who left his parents farm to get revenge on the orcs that attacked it? It's still bare-bones but it at least gives you some sort of direction and feel for the guy.

Now I do agree that personal quests can be kind of rude to the rest of the party, especially if handled badly. But how about someone you mentioned in your background just happening to turn up on the opposing side? Or you bump into at some point that happens to have information for you? etc. Just a nod that confirms that yes I've read your story, and yes your character is part of the world. Sure it could just as well be generic NPC #19 and it wouldn't make a big difference on the game world, but for those that did write a background? That does matter, and that is a reward in itself. On that note I also agree that handing out XP for backstories (especially backstories that meets whatever standards the DM happens to have) is wrong just because, as you said, it can make the person who didn't get the bonus XP bitter.

But that doesn't mean you can't talk to people to see what they actually expect from a game and see if they want or need some help along the way. Some people may be just like you and aren't interested in writing long backstories or even thinking to hard about their characters motivations, others may be but don't quite know how to go about it, but one way or another everyone needs to at least have a half-way decent understanding of each other as players before you go mucking about trying to coax/guide/force players into doing things they may or may not be interested in actually doing.

Red Fel
2014-11-13, 03:30 AM

See, I understand this, to a certain extent. I had one campaign where we spent an entire campaign arc on a quest for one PC's ancestral armor. The rest of the PCs, regardless of alignment or personal motivation (including my PC, who kind of hated her PC) were informed that they were going, full stop. The campaign deteriorated soon after.

That was a case of bad DMing (and DMGF Syndrome). A good DM manages to find ways to work the PCs' backstories into the game unobtrusively, and non-exclusively. A great DM can weave them into the core storyline, causing them all to braid together into something incredible. The PC seeking the cultists who burned his village to the ground? He starts seeing their symbols with greater frequency. The PC looking for clues as to the location of the Ancient Lost City? He recognizes those cult symbols as part of the alphabet from the long-gone civilization. The PC seeking his lost older brother? Guess who's leading the cult? And so forth. You blend each element in, and each player feels like his PC is a star - without excluding the others.

That's a matter of personal taste, and I happen to disagree (also a matter of personal taste, I admit). What happened before the game defines your character as much as what happens during. If you choose to neglect the former in favor of the latter, you can; I feel, in my experience, that having a clear image of my character's past allows me to dive right into creating my character's present and future. But again, that's a play-style issue.

I do disagree with your point about XP rewards, though. While I think that, as a rule, in-character rewards shouldn't be used for out-of-character conduct, I don't think that rewarding some people is the same as punishing others. The former, in my mind, is giving someone something they lacked; the latter is taking away something they had. You don't lose the XP bonus for failure to produce a backstory, you just don't gain it; that's not a penalty.

Kiero
2014-11-13, 03:46 AM

Whereas the more I play, the less time I have for someone who puts so little forethought into their character that they can't even come up with a notion of where their character came from, and what ties them to the world and the other PCs. Worse still if that player can spend hour upon hour poring over rulebooks looking for mechanical tricks.

You don't need an "involved" backstory or a long one, just something that establishes pretty clearly how your character fits into the setting (and shows the player bothered to engage with it at all). And how they're not Cipher #34 who is little more than a collection of powers and abilities for the player-avatar.

Of late, I've taken to a bullet point list under significant headings to capture all the bits I think are worthy of note. For example:

Russell Ortiz

Origins

Born on Aegis (Attican Beta/Odysseus System/fifth planet) in 2158.
Military family; grandfather Hector (Captain - retired), father Julius (Ops Chief - honourably discharged), uncle Alejandro (Gunnery Chief - KIA) and aunt Susana (Staff Commander - active) all served in First Contact War.
Mother Ariel is a geologist originally from Aegis. It was her idea to combine her talents with Julius to found their firm.
Killed a batarian raider when he was 15.
Father opposed joining military, in spite of his own service and setting up a mining business using technical skills the Alliance taught him.
Enlisted at 18 just after the Skyllian Blitz in 2176 (wasn't old enough to sign up before then).
Older sister Helen signed on to an explorator/prospecting crew and is the XO aboard the MSV Jules Verne.
Younger brother Isaac has fallen under the sway of the Terran Defense League, a "pro-human rights" group (read: supremacist militia) in the Skyllian Verge

Military History

Served in a Marine Recon unit attached to the 4th Frontier Division, fighting pirates and slavers, as well as the odd batarian privateer.
Was part of the operation on Torfan in 2178, under Lieutenant Kessler; Kessler got half the company killed and himself mortally wounded. Ortiz managed to salvage the situation and intended to bring the Lt out to be court-martialled for his actions. However Kessler died before they were evacuated, and his influential family applied pressure on the survivors to change their stories.
After the operation Ortiz was commissioned 2nd Lt (a letter of recommendation for OCS from Kessler was "discovered" amongst his files) and given a medal for his actions. He spent the rest of 2178 and the early part of 2179 in Officer Cadet School studying and training to be an officer.
The remains of his company was split up and reassigned, sworn to secrecy about what happened on Torfan (and all were compensated in various ways to purchase their silence). It only took one "accidental death" of someone threatening to talk to make them realise the necessity of this. No one has really talked since then.
While they've all tried to forget it, Ortiz is something of a minor celebrity because of his actions, one of the few "good news stories" they were able to salvage from a thoroughly brutal and unforgiving operation.
As a result of his actions on Torfan and following his time in OCS, he was sent to the Interplanetary Combatives Academy in late 2179, passing the N1 course.
Was wounded in 2180, spending several months recovering while they grew him a graft-replacement for his injured hand.
Resigned his commission in 2181 when the term of his original enlistment was up.

Extra-military history

Went to Nguye’s graduation ceremony from the Grissom Academy in early 2178, where he was introduced to Sam.
While on shore leave on Illium in 2180, ran into an Eclipse enforcer and her Blue Suns trouble. Started the night in fatigues with his sidearm, ended it with his appropriated Blue Suns armour and assault rifle on the floor of her apartment. Hasn't seen her since and she never did tell him her name.
The man who gave up his armour and weapon was a well-connected Centurion called Cedric Drase. His older brother Louis is chief amongst those who swore vengeance on Ortiz for his death.
Kessler was related to the family running Hahne-Kedar; they haven't ended their surveillance and monitoring of Ortiz just because he's no longer in service. One of their venture capital subsidiaries is an investor in Penumbra for this very reason.
Went to Omega (to the annual “mercenary’s fair”) after his discharge to find his asari assignation of the year before. Instead he ran into Sam, their mutual friend Nguye and more Blue Suns trouble. The three of them managed to escape leaving a half-dozen mercs dead and firmly placing them on the Blue Suns ****-list. Nguye still joined Eclipse as a freelancer despite Sam and Russell trying to dissuade him.

Zejety
2014-11-13, 07:57 AM
In my group we actually use this method for creating back stories.

10-minute background

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

1)
2)

1)
2)
3)
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

Here is a character I created using this method.

Carric Tanner (Ilphelkiir)

1) Carric Ilphelkiir grew up on the streets of Sih’ Hausi. He never met his father. He knew his mother for a short time. She had been a half-elf whore. Her parents had been a pair of nobles having an affair. Her father had been human but her mother had been elven. She was kept as a house maid to the human noble but after he died of old age she was turned out on the streets. She was taken in by Madam Lia Nai'lo. She was a kind brothel owner. Mialee Marsk is Carric’s mother. Carric also has a younger human half-sister, Zora Marsk, who he deeply cares for. During Zora’s birth Mialee died. Carric was 7. Carric and Zora stayed with Madam Lia in the brothel. Carric and Zora was raised by all of the whores.
2) Carric knows his way around the streets of Sih’ Hausi. He had several run-ins with the city guards throughout his youth. He might still be wanted by the captain of the guard. Trespassing, pickpocketing, and burglary were most common. When he was 12 or 13, he stole from a traveling monk’s belt pouch. Carric thought he got away but when he returned to Madam Lia’s House of Nightly Pleasures, the monk was there. He asked for his pouch back. Carric returned it, though it was empty. When asked why he only returned the pouch, Carric said that only the pouch as asked for, not what was contained. The Monk found it amusing nodded taking in the answer. The monk left with the pouch. Later that evening, Carric found a note in with the coin he had taken from the monk. The Note read:
“If you would like to find meaning beyond just existing to take coin purses. Follow me, Find me. -Sian Thia”
3) Carric ran down stairs to find Madam Lia. Lia told him what she knew about the monk. Carric told her his plan if he could find the monk. He wanted her to get Zora ready so that she could go with them. Madam Lia gave her blessing for Carric to find the monk. They would discuss Zora after he returned. Carric rushed out the door and into the streets. Carric felt a something at his own pocket where he found another note. It continued for several hours as the monk continuously placed new notes in his pocket as clues. Carric eventually found the Monk at the place where he originally took his coin purse. Carric agreed to go with the monk if his sister could come with. The monk agreed easily.
4) Carric returned with the monk to the House of Nightly Pleasures. Carric packed his things. Madam Lia didn’t let them take Zora saying that she was too young to go so far. Carric told that her would be back for Zora. That next morning they boarded a boat headed for an unmarked small island where Carric would train and hone his skills at the Five Dragons Monastery where he learned the Way of the Dragon martial arts.
5) Carric found he had a natural aptitude for martials arts. He would often write Madam Lia and Zora. He never did hear back from her.
6) After 20 years, Sian Thia passed away from old age. He left the belt pouch had been stolen to Carric. After about a year after Sian’s death, Carric reached first Dan. There are Nine achievable Dans, or levels of black belts. There is a tenth that is usually given after posthumously.
7) Carric left on his walkabout after achieving First Dan. He has been walking in the direction of the wind. He hopes that the wind will one day take him back to Sih’Hausi to find his sister.
8) Carric is a lean wood-elf. He is nimble and lithe. He carries himself with a gentleness, confidence, and compassion. He has leather combat gauntlets and matching shin and foot guards. (Think muay thai hand and leg wraps.) He favors the quarterstaff over any other weapon, but most often fights with his hands and feet. His hair is a copperish red hue. He keeps it quite short after sparing match had involved pulling his hair. His eyes are two different colors. One is green whereas the other is copper. His ears are not as pointed as most elves suggesting he isn’t a pureblooded wood-elf.

1) He wants to find his sister.
2) I want to get back to older RP and actually RP a character and not be focused on stats.

1) Carric is very attached to the belt pouch that Sian left him.
2) Madam Lia was glad to be rid of Carric, as he had been bringing attention to the brothel with the city guard.
1) Sian Thia is the monk that took Carric in. He was nearing the end of his life when he ran into Carric. He saw Carric as a son and would often engage him in conversation to challenge his thought processes.
2) Zora Marsk is Carric’s human half-sister who he had to leave behind. During her childbirth Mialee Marsk died.
3) Captain Ausk Amakiir is the captain of the guard from when Carric lived in Sih’Hausi. Ausk has a long memory, and will most likely remember Carric. He is a Lawful Neutral High Elf Fighter.
4) Madam Lia Nai'lo is the Mistress of the House of Nightly Pleasures. They primarily appeal to human merchant clients with promises of ‘exotic beauty’ She is an Elven woman who has outlived most of her ‘girls’. She most often uses half-elven women who were born in the brothel.
5) Kendrik Ilmeti is a high elven sparring partner from the Monastery. They were not directly enemies, they were often rivals. They having a running defeat-win ratio that is within a point of each other.
1) Carric vividly remembers three events in his life. The day his mother died, the day he left his sister behind, and the day Sian died.
2) Carric will often work out and practice his art. He likes to spar others in order to keep his edge sharp.
3) Carric has become a generous man having taken lessons from Sian. He tries to give children sweets or something they might need.
4) Carric is slow to respond thinking about his reactions. He will often pause and think about how he should react.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the 10 minute background. IMO, its biggest advantage is that it immediately conveys to the player that you intend to use this information to improve his own enjoyment of the game (the "what are your [the player's] goals?" question does a great job at this).

DigoDragon
2014-11-13, 08:32 AM
If you award them xp for answering questions elaborately, then be prepared for them to answer with the most elaborate thing they can to get the xp and then promptly forget about it.

Awarding a little xp for their trouble helps, but I find that some players simply aren't super creative to come up with elaborate back-stories. Try to be patient with those folks and be encouraging when they have at least something to show you.

One GM I played under had a real interesting way of making us write our backstories: Rap Sheets.
Basically the idea of the campaign was that we all had records in the database (though not necessarily all criminal) and the GM asked: "If your character was arrested and taken to the police station for questioning, what would their Rap Sheet say when the police look them up?"

We came up with some interesting backgrounds based on what we wrote for our sheets.

BWR
2014-11-13, 09:53 AM
These look interesting, thanks. How do you keep your player from responding with one word answers? Do you think the XP reward is enough?

This hasn't been a problem in L5R games I've played in or most I've heard about (even if you always hear about that one horrible game some poor sucker played in). The more intimately one knows the setting, the easier it is to make a proper backstory. With the immense amount of story it's accumulated over nearly 20 years it has a fairly steep learning curve, but that makes things easier once you've gotten it. XP rewards are not necessary, IME.

I will reiterate my position that backgrounds are not the only or even the best way to get people roleplay. As long as a character grows in play, it's ok if they start out blank. Most of my characters start off pretty bland and uninspired but over the course of a couple of sessions become a proper character. Don't focus so much on backgrounds (which can be useful to give an idea, not necessary), focus on the PC's actions, motivation and emotions in game.

hifidelity2
2014-11-13, 09:57 AM
If one of my players does not give me a reasonable back story then I warn them that I will invent one and that (naturally) mine will be a lot “meaner” than anything they would come up with

e.g Lots of people chasing them, family that need helping etc etc. This normally gets them to write something down

Kami2awa
2014-11-13, 10:33 AM
Bear in mind not every character needs a super special backstory. Frodo and Sam lived in the Shire their whole life doing not very much. Arthur Dent had a completely uneventful life until the bulldozers, the Vogons and Ford Prefect turned up, which from an RPG point of view is the start of a very eventful campaign. Generic characters are OK sometimes - the exciting part of their lives should be in the campaign, not necessarily before it.

RealMarkP
2014-11-13, 10:42 AM
One GM I played under had a real interesting way of making us write our backstories: Rap Sheets.

I am stealing this idea.

gnalish
2014-11-13, 11:36 AM
My thought as a DM is that if you're starting at level 1, any backstory should be limited to: where are you in (start of campaign) and what are you doing there?

Beyond 1st, your backstory should take into account previous levels. How did you gain those levels? Why aren't you still doing that? How did you acquire the (starting gold amount) gp that you started with, or the items you're starting with? These things should all be relevant to the character concept.

Example: Starting at level 10, characters get over 50k gold (3.5). If you're playing a monk with a vow of poverty, how do you explain the cash? If you're a level 10 paladin, did your church or your (noble) family provide your gear (or access to it)? Et cetera.

Beyond that, look into the different systems of flaws/boons from various games and allow players to buy one for one. Quirks will develop quickly that help define the character. Is the character a drunk in a bar but dependable otherwise? Are they constantly flirting with others? Much of this will also become apparent during the course of the game, unless you as a DM don't give the person an opportunity to rp.

He likes to wrestle? Have the party find him mid-match. Likes to drink? Maybe he's passed out at the bar and the party has to revive him or even save him from alcohol poisoning (or rogue poisoning even). There are a lot of options you as DM can incorporate in game to help flesh out a character.

Thrudd
2014-11-13, 12:47 PM
It really depends on the type of game. There's no single correct way to do this. In my D&D games, characters are rolled in front of everyone, and you start at level 1. The complete process of character creation should not take more than 10-15 minutes, including background. It is assumed the characters have all decided to embark on the life of adventurers, they have traveled from their home to a place they are unfamiliar with where adventure/fortune can be found, and they have previously met and have some sort of arrangement to work together as a party.

I want to know why your character is an adventurer, ie what they hope to gain or what motivates them (fame, fortune, power, duty). As a group, I like the players to also decide why their characters are together as a party (are characters related to each other, friends, a business arrangement, working for a patron, some combination of those things). That's about it. The choice of character class greatly influences these answers as well, so it really shouldn't take long. A thief or assassin almost certainly is looking for wealth first, possibly power and/or fame (run a thieves' guild or criminal organization). A cleric, druid, monk or paladin is usually motivated by duty to their religion and possibly by power to rise up the ranks of their patron organization. A ranger is probably bound by duty to hunt monsters, and maybe also seeks other things. A magic user is likely motivated primarily by gaining magical knowledge and power, but also might want fame and fortune. A fighter is the most wide open, could be almost anything, including ruling their own domain.

gom jabbarwocky
2014-11-13, 05:15 PM
I think backstories are important to the game, but that's more just because no character comes from an utter vacuum. As a GM, you've got to give me something to work with then a bunch of numbers on a page. At the same time, it's rather pointless to try and tease an elaborate background from a player who clearly isn't interested. So the question becomes, how can we make it a painless process tolerable to both the roll-players and the would-be thespians of the party?

Telok
2014-11-13, 06:26 PM
Dwarf Fortress.
Download, unzip, run, create world, start playing: fortress mode, embark anywhere, play now, u, z, z, enter, screen shot, print screen shot.

Optional: cross out references to name, species, and gender. Add your name, species, and gender.

Nagash
2014-11-13, 06:39 PM
Now I do agree that personal quests can be kind of rude to the rest of the party, especially if handled badly. But how about someone you mentioned in your background just happening to turn up on the opposing side? Or you bump into at some point that happens to have information for you? etc. Just a nod that confirms that yes I've read your story, and yes your character is part of the world. Sure it could just as well be generic NPC #19 and it wouldn't make a big difference on the game world, but for those that did write a background? That does matter, and that is a reward in itself. On that note I also agree that handing out XP for backstories (especially backstories that meets whatever standards the DM happens to have) is wrong just because, as you said, it can make the person who didn't get the bonus XP bitter.

Ya know i used to do that in the first few years of 3e. But over and over again unless it happened within the first session or two the player in question didnt even notice that I used a part of their story, or if they did they didnt act on it at all. So after awhile I decided the whole thing was just more hassle then it was worth for everyone and put all my effort in the ongoing campaign rather then background stuff.

mephnick
2014-11-13, 07:21 PM
Exactly. In my experience if you force people who don't care to fill out a background questionnaire, they'll treat it like homework, fill it out as fast as possible and never recognize when it's being referenced.

The groups that would do it with the right intentions probably don't need homework to prompt them to do it in the first place.

sleepy hedgehog
2014-11-13, 07:55 PM
My players are pretty good at writing a backstory, so this hasn't been a problem.

I require at least a minimal amount of backstory:
a 1-2 sentence description of your character.
1-2 motivations: Why are you an adventurer.
1-2 contacts: What people/organizations have you made some kind of contact with.
1-2 connections with the other party members

I then tell them, this is your chance to add anything you can imagine to the campaign. Assuming you don't abuse this rule, I will, somehow, work anything you come up with, into the campaign.
Additionally, more backstory allows me more hooks, and more direction. So your character will likely have a slightly higher main role.

Kaun
2014-11-13, 08:14 PM
If they are not big on pre-made backstory then just add some back story on the fly as the game progresses.

for example;

DM: As you are leaving the market a familiar voice calls out to (Player A) from the crowd, it's some one from your past....who?
Player A: What?
DM: Who is this person from your past?
Player A: What do you mean?
DM: What is this persons relationship to you, who are they?
Player A:... er.. an old friend?!?
DM: Excellent! Whats their name?
Player A: ... er ... Dave?
DM: Yes! its Dave your childhood friend! But you haven't seen him in since the Event! so... what was the even Player A?
Player A: er...i... i don't know... um... when Orc's attacked?
DM: Ahh yes! since the Orc warhost swept through your homeland! "(Player A)!" exclaims Dave, "I had heard that you were dead?!?" Dave looks genuinely pleased to see you....

and off you go from there.

You haven't tried to force them into sitting down and coming up with a solid background. They suddenly have a chunk of back story that wasn't there before. It was done in game so they are more likely to remember it. They might realize that back stories aren't so hard to come up with. And best of all, your game is suddenly a bit more three dimensional then it was a moment ago.

Raine_Sage
2014-11-13, 08:40 PM
If they are not big on pre-made backstory then just add some back story on the fly as the game progresses.

for example;

DM: As you are leaving the market a familiar voice calls out to (Player A) from the crowd, it's some one from your past....who?
Player A: What?
DM: Who is this person from your past?
Player A: What do you mean?
DM: What is this persons relationship to you, who are they?
Player A:... er.. an old friend?!?
DM: Excellent! Whats their name?
Player A: ... er ... Dave?
DM: Yes! its Dave your childhood friend! But you haven't seen him in since the Event! so... what was the even Player A?
Player A: er...i... i don't know... um... when Orc's attacked?
DM: Ahh yes! since the Orc warhost swept through your homeland! "(Player A)!" exclaims Dave, "I had heard that you were dead?!?" Dave looks genuinely pleased to see you....

and off you go from there.

You haven't tried to force them into sitting down and coming up with a solid background. They suddenly have a chunk of back story that wasn't there before. It was done in game so they are more likely to remember it. They might realize that back stories aren't so hard to come up with. And best of all, your game is suddenly a bit more three dimensional then it was a moment ago.

Or if your players are the kind who may resent being placed on the spot, I've found that many don't really mind if you go ahead and invent something for them.

"A familiar voice calls out to you and you see a familiar face. It turns out to be Mark! You remember him from wrestling school, you used to have a signature move the two of you would preform in tag team matches though it's been ages since you last shared a stage."

If the player wishes they can help fill in details from there (why they haven't seen mark in so long, what the signature move is) but they're not necessary details and it doesn't really matter if they don't want to/can't think of anything for it.

Kaun
2014-11-13, 08:46 PM
Or if your players are the kind who may resent being placed on the spot

If my players weren't resenting me for something i had done to them i would be worried. :smalltongue:

Milodiah
2014-11-13, 10:32 PM
Dwarf Fortress.
Download, unzip, run, create world, start playing: fortress mode, embark anywhere, play now, u, z, z, enter, screen shot, print screen shot.

Optional: cross out references to name, species, and gender. Add your name, species, and gender.

...huh. Now that I think about it, I do have a tendency to play characters fond of drink and industry, and who need alcohol to get through the day.

dream
2014-11-14, 12:39 AM
If you're running a game and you ask players for a short background, since your time investment is centered around those players having a fun time enjoying a world of fantasy & adventure, they should do as you ask. GMs/DMs need to have fun, too, not just players, and part of your fun seems to be integrating PC backgrounds into your adventure.

Try telling them about Howitt's "six-questions-that-will-help-you-make-better-characters" (http://lookrobot.co.uk/2014/01/10/six-questions-will-help-make-better-character/)

Knaight
2014-11-14, 01:16 AM

I'd agree with these, but that remaining background is essential. The character pretty much needs a high concept (beyond species-class), and at least a little to anchor them into the game world. To use a recent example, a PC was introduced to me (as GM) as a bioweapons expert with connections to some shady organization. That's not a lot, but it's enough to work with, particularly as the character introduction scene came off very well.

JusticeZero
2014-11-21, 01:28 PM
Everyone invents and describes one influential person, place, or piece of local history. Not two, and three is right out. Then everyone has to describe their character's background, using at least three of the elements described. This cuts out both "I'm Nob. I hit things." and long novellas that I dislike.