Raptorfolk
Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Reptilian)
Hit Dice: 4d8+8 (26 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 18 (+8 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+7
Attack: Talons +8 melee (1d8+3)
Full Attack: Talons +8 melee (1d8+3) and 2 Claws +2 melee (1d4+1) and Bite +2 melee (1d6+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Mighty charge
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., fearless, scent
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +5 (+9 against fear)
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 6, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: Hide +2, Jump +5, Listen +6, Spot +6, Survival +4
Feats: DiehardB, Weapon Focus (Talons), Improved Toughness
Environment: Warm Forests
Organization: Solitary, pair, band (6-10 plus 50% noncombatants plus 1 leader of 2nd-4th level), or tribe (40-60 plus 2 lieutenants of 2nd-4th level and 1 partiarch of 3rd-8th level)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: 50% coins; 50% goods; 50% items
Alignment: Usually Chaotic Neutral
Advancement: By Character Class (Favored Class: Barbarian)
Level Adjustment: +2

Raptorfolk are primeval, savage kin of the well-known Lizardfolk. However, they seem closer to dinosaurs than humanoids, and a Raptorfolk may occasionally be called a “walking deinonychus.” Raptorfolk civilization is even less developed than that of the backwards Lizardfolk. They disdain most forms of weapons and armor, a thick layer of scales and a fearsome assortment of claws and talons making such unnecessary. They tend to live in small, roaming tribes headed by a patriarchal figure, living as hunter-gatherers. They are too primitive to have even begun dreaming of wizardry, and have neither divine magic nor gods. However, their musical skills are far more developed than one would expect, and some tribes do boast the presence of a bard or two. In combat, they lack the subtlety and cunning of their lizardly cousins, preferring to engage foes in direct, head-on combat. They are nigh-fearless, and can be a vicious threat even when mortally wounded.

Mighty Charge (Ex)
When a Raptorfolk charges, it gains a +4, rather than a +2, bonus on its attack roll. The penalty to its AC remains unchanged.

Fearless (Ex)
Fear is an alien concept to Raptorfolk. They receive a +4 racial bonus on all saves against fear.

Skills
A Raptorfolk has a +2 racial bonus on Hide, Jump, Listen, Spot, and Survival checks.
[hr]
Raptorfolk As Characters
Raptorfolk characters possess the following racial traits.
+6 Strength, +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -4 Intelligence.
Medium size.
A Raptorfolk’s base land speed is 30 feet.
+8 natural armor bonus.
Racial Hit Dice: A Raptorfolk begins with four levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 4d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +4, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +4, and Will +4.
Racial Skills: A Raptorfolk’s humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 7 × (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are Hide, Jump, Listen, Spot, and Survival. Raptorfolk have a +2 racial bonus on Hide, Jump, Listen, Spot, and Survival checks.
Racial Feats: A Raptorfolk’s monstrous humanoid levels give it two feats. In addition, a Raptorfolk gains Diehard as a bonus feat.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Raptorfolk is automatically proficient with simple weapons.
Natural Weapons: talons (1d8), 2 claws (1d4) and bite (1d6).
Special Attacks: Might charge.
Special Qualities: Fearless.
Automatic Languages: Draconic. Bonus Languages: Common, Goblin, Gnoll, Orc.
Favored Class: Barbarian
Level adjustment +2.

Rainspattered
2007-03-22, 08:20 PM
I would give a penalty to Wisdom, rather than Int, personally, based only upon the statement of "lacking cunning." Intelligence represents analysis and the ability for book learning, while Wisdom is common sense and instinct, "animal cunning."
That said, I'd think they would possess Wisdom in greater quantities than intellienge, and would use cunning and strategy in their strikes; actual deinonychae (I believe this is the correct pluralization) did, with their pack-hunting techniques, so why not their humanoid cousins?

The Demented One
2007-03-22, 08:31 PM
When I say they lack cunning, I mean they lack sophisticated tactics. Unlike Lizardfolk, these guys aren't going to be using traps, or taking much advantage of terrain - intelligence stuff. Now, I definitely see them hunting in packs, thus, their organization listing, and I'd certainly let them use classic pack hunting techniques like the pincer maneuver.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-03-22, 09:15 PM
A +8 to natural armor with only a +2 LA? With the +6 strength and a few Fighter levels, this thing can be a real monster in the rightwrong hands.

The Demented One
2007-03-22, 09:22 PM
Well, it's got a total ECL of 6. I could see bumping the LA up to three, but I'm not sure if it's necessary.