PDA

View Full Version : Periodic Table of Elements

Melcar
2014-11-12, 06:56 PM
Hi guys...

I was wondering if there existed a periodic table or a list of know elements that exist within the D&D/FR cosmology. I'm avare, that since plannar travel is possible I could use the real one, but I'm more interested in a game version if this is actually something that exists. Does anyone know?

Specifically, I'm looking for some very heavy/dense which could be used to create a singularity as in a black hole. I know that this is impossible, since the earth would have to be crushed down into something like a peanut, for this to happen, so I could neaver have enough to actually do this, but I seem to remember that the math behind it allow for such a thing even at small amounts of mass. Since this is D&D, I'm thinking that this might be possible with some heavy magic.

Can anyone help?

Kelb_Panthera
2014-11-12, 07:06 PM
Leave those poor catgirls alone you monster :smallfrown:

No seriously though, real physics and game physics don't play well when you start digging below the surface.

PsyBomb
2014-11-12, 07:08 PM
And here I thought you were going to ask for stats on the Titanium and Chlorine Elementals. Irridium Elemental would be fun, not going to lie...

nedz
2014-11-12, 08:25 PM
Air, Earth, Fire and Water — these are the elements in play.
OK, there are para and quasi elements also — and maybe positive and negative too.

As for a periodic table — well we have the inner wheel of planes.

Chronos
2014-11-12, 08:30 PM
As to the real physics, if you want a black hole the size of a peanut (actually more like a grape, but close enough), you'll need a mass equal to the Earth, no matter what material you start with. Black holes don't care about details like that.

ArqArturo
2014-11-12, 08:51 PM
I've always used the Alchemical Elements for D&D: Air, Earth, Fire, Water, and Aether (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aether_%28classical_element%29) (essentially, Magic, or Quintessence (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quintessence_%28physics%29), depends on who you ask, especially to those nutters that believe in Magic... Err, String Theory* :p).

*I'm obviously kidding

Chronos
2014-11-12, 09:54 PM
Eh, it's really not that easy to tell the difference between the string model and magic. Well, beyond the fact that magic has rules it follows and known limits.

nedz
2014-11-13, 05:29 AM
Last time I checked there were more string theories than there are schools of magic and they both had as much empirical basis.

Judge_Worm
2014-11-13, 06:11 AM
What technology level is your game? If it's standard Renaissance or earlier I don't see why one would exist. Our periodic table came about because someone was trying to learn their students something about chemistry. Now, I can see a mage doing this as well, but I don't see it corresponding to ours.

If you want to make a blackhole why not just open a gate to the Far Realms, it can take care of any thing you need a black hole for.

Slowly as the catgirls lay dying, the catmen began looking for something they could further their species with. And Lo! In the distance there was a Wailord whalegirl.

Melcar
2014-11-13, 06:20 AM
What technology level is your game? If it's standard Renaissance or earlier I don't see why one would exist. Our periodic table came about because someone was trying to learn their students something about chemistry. Now, I can see a mage doing this as well, but I don't see it corresponding to ours.

If you want to make a blackhole why not just open a gate to the Far Realms, it can take care of any thing you need a black hole for.

Slowly as the catgirls lay dying, the catmen began looking for something they could further their species with. And Lo! In the distance there was a Wailord whalegirl.

Well its pretty low tech, but I know that a lot of different metals are know. Iron, Lead, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Obdurium... Mithral, Adamantine, and some alchemical compositions are there aswell, so I kind of thought that someone would have collected them in a periodic table by now... knowing the communities to be quite the nerds :smallbiggrin: myself included....

nedz
2014-11-13, 06:48 AM
Well its pretty low tech, but I know that a lot of different metals are know. Iron, Lead, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Obdurium... Mithral, Adamantine, and some alchemical compositions are there aswell, so I kind of thought that someone would have collected them in a periodic table by now... knowing the communities to be quite the nerds :smallbiggrin: myself included....

Good point, but for all we know Obdurium, Mithral, Adamantine, ... are alloys ?