PDA

View Full Version : Designing the Lair of Boccob

Dornith
2014-11-12, 09:04 PM
I am designing the dungeon in which Boccob resides for an up-coming campaign. In the world my players are playing in Boccob, and a few other true-neutral deities, originate from the material plane, and a couple characters (averaging level 7) are going to seek out Boccob.

I need to figure out what kinds of features, traps, creatures, and rooms would be in Boccob's primary residence.

A couple things that come to mind for me:

Dancing lights at the entrance. That way, even if someone managed to navigate his dungeon without using or triggering any magic, he still knows of their presence (senses all magic 4 weeks in advance).
Chambers which make no sense spatially (Larger on the inside, doors which lead to non-existent rooms, etc.)

Red Fel
2014-11-12, 09:10 PM
I am designing the dungeon in which Boccob resides for an up-coming campaign. In the world my players are playing in Boccob, and a few other true-neutral deities, originate from the material plane, and a couple characters (averaging level 7) are going to seek out Boccob.

I need to figure out what kinds of features, traps, creatures, and rooms would be in Boccob's primary residence.

A couple things that come to mind for me:

Dancing lights at the entrance. That way, even if someone managed to navigate his dungeon without using or triggering any magic, he still knows of their presence (senses all magic 4 weeks in advance).
Chambers which make no sense spatially (Larger on the inside, doors which lead to non-existent rooms, etc.)

Why would he be in a dungeon? Wouldn't Boccob be in a massive, labyrinthine library? In fact, as I recall, Deities & Demigods placed Boccob in the Outlands; Manual of the Planes backed this up with the "Library of Lore," a hilltop library guarded by elder elementals of every type.

You don't have to place it in the Outlands, of course; if your gods are in the Material, they're in the Material. But placing Boccob anywhere other than in a well-fortified library would be a crime. My advice would be to simply transpose the description of the Library of Lore from the Outlands onto the Material.

Dornith
2014-11-12, 09:18 PM
Why would he be in a dungeon? Wouldn't Boccob be in a massive, labyrinthine library?
placing Boccob anywhere other than in a well-fortified library would be a crime.

That's the direction I was going for. I was using "dungeon" as a sort of generic term for "place where adventurers go". I was thinking what kind of fortifications Boccob might have. And beyond that, what details might there be about the library/labyrinth? (e.g. The ceiling servers as an extra bookcase with magic keeping the books from falling until retrieved)

Red Fel
2014-11-12, 09:29 PM
That's the direction I was going for. I was using "dungeon" as a sort of generic term for "place where adventurers go". I was thinking what kind of fortifications Boccob might have. And beyond that, what details might there be about the library/labyrinth? (e.g. The ceiling servers as an extra bookcase with magic keeping the books from falling until retrieved)

Again, I'd advise you to read the description in Manual of the Planes. But, on principle, here are a few pointers: Location: It should be isolated and difficult to approach. An unscalable cliffside protected by magic that prevents flight and teleportation is a good start. A magical portal leading into a pocket dimension with the aforementioned cliffside is even better. Boccob likes his privacy. Guards: Boccob doesn't have much need for guards. The guy is pure magic; his entire realm is his protection. That said, several elementals outside of the library (like he'd ever let them inside?) would make a good deterrent. Patrolling golems are a nice touch. Worshippers walking the halls, reading and researching, wouldn't hurt either. The maze: Every wall covered in shelves. Some areas going into private rooms, others long corridors looping back over themselves seemingly infinitely. The whole place is magic; Boccob can reshape it at will. Magical effects: The place is magic. Can't say it enough. Boccob can detect, limit or amplify the use of spells or magical abilities within his realm, so use them with caution. It's also a library, and per MotP, all spells are treated as subject to the Silent Spell feat.
Basically, just think of the largest, most intimidating library you can. Magnify it by a factor of ten. And again. Then add golems, librarians, and magic-detectors. To get through, your party will have to operate under the radar - as in, without magical aid. Because anything magical, even a magic item, may set off Boccob's sensitive nose. Or ears. Or whatever organ is responsible for detecting magic. (The spleen, maybe?)

afroakuma
2014-11-12, 10:50 PM
Because anything magical, even a magic item, may set off Boccob's sensitive nose.

Anything involving magic reaches his attention more than three months before it happens.

DeadMech
2014-11-13, 12:00 AM
Avoiding the use of magic is really only advisable if the party has... poor intentions. Considering the place is built as a maze, magic is necessary to find anything that you could be looking for.

In my head I imagine a high level wizard taking a trip there. Appearing well off the entrance stairwells because of redirection of teleport spells. You make your way forward and are greeted by the four elder elementals springing up from four great wells, gates to the elemental planes. If you want in you either have to fight them, which will be inadvisable considering that they may well be buffed, or offer to them something to add to the library. Handing over some rare scroll or writing, or a craft.

Maybe the library episode of avatar had influence there.

Inside if you are deemed worthy you find an atrium balcony. As far as they eye can see both up and down are more and more levels. Branching out in fractal patterns that may well continue into infinity. You need some form of flight to even find your way to another level of the library. Guardians may roam about, petitioners acting as scribes making copies.

And nothing in this section is even all that important. You probably have to puzzle out the location of sections that hold anything of value, proving your worth to gain access.

Somewhere along the way you'll find observers working at scrying pools. Looking into the past present and future, divining all information, great and small, to be written into books of fate. Laboratories filled with tubes of fluids and specimen.

Boccob himself? Who knows. In the labyrinth everything starts looking the same. Not like he cares for visitor's. He's probably stashed away in some demiplane away from the sycophants. Or maybe you saw him wandering the halls. He could look like anything or anyone. Or maybe he's elsewhere altering events to ensure the continued existence and growth of magic. Specifically his.

Belial_the_Leveler
2014-11-13, 04:23 AM
All libraries anywhere can access it if you perform a specific ritual before entering.

The maze:
Extradimensional library of effectively infinite size. Each square is an unobtrusive portal that leads to another unconnected square if you go through; linear movement and linear line-of-effect is impossible but if you know how, you can go from any square to any other square by only moving through 13 squares (sort of like the Internet, except physical).

Guards:
It's full of a near-infinite number of books. Each book is also an intelligent magic item with various special powers it can use on intruders and is subconsciously aware of how to use the space warps to end effects anywhere in the library. Any intruders will have to face billions of guards, a large number of which will be artifacts and thus normally indestructible.

Magical effects:
Silence, all over the area.
Eternal Freedom, all over the area.
Spells and magic effects that transport creatures or objects are limited.
Spells and magic effects that influence planar traits are limited.
Divinations are quickened and persisted.
Erratic time: reading takes no time in relation to the material plane.

BWR
2014-11-13, 06:36 AM
This (https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8096183/55/Harry-Potter-and-the-Natural-20) chapter from Harry Potter and the Natural 20 has one description of Boccob's domain that might be interesting.
You can always steal and alter this (http://www.mimir.net/musee/thoth.html) classic PS description of Thoth's Library.