PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Animate Dead, Awaken Undead question.

D4rkh0rus
2014-11-12, 10:17 PM
Just wondering, Im not too sure on the wording for awaken undead, do the awakened undead (in this specific case, skeletons) gain SKill points and feats according to their current HD? what happens to their Charisma and Wisdom scores? do they remain 1 and 10 or do they go up?

Also, considering I did this to a say, 1HD skeleton, would it be eligible to trade its monster HD for a class level?

What classes are generally considered decent for skeletons?

D4rkh0rus
2014-11-13, 09:45 AM
Anyone who knows about this subject?

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-13, 10:40 AM
Awakened undead do not regain any skills, feats, or extraordinary abilities they had in life, but they do gain skill points ([4 + Int mod] x HD)and feats (one for first Hit Die, one for each three HD thereafter) normally after being awakened.

Yes, they get feats and skills per their HD. Yes a 1HD creature can trade in it's RHD for a class level. Note undead always have a D12 HD regardless of class.

Flickerdart
2014-11-13, 10:43 AM
You don't get anything not listed in the spell, so everything except INT stays the same. They do gain skill points and feats (since they now have an Intelligence score). I think they would be able to trade in an HD for a class level if they have just the one but I'm not sure - as far as I recall, there's a rule somewhere that allows all creature types to do it (which expands, and is not in conflict with, the rule that says humanoids are permitted to do so, in the MM or DMG or wherever).

D4rkh0rus
2014-11-13, 11:11 AM
You don't get anything not listed in the spell, so everything except INT stays the same. They do gain skill points and feats (since they now have an Intelligence score). I think they would be able to trade in an HD for a class level if they have just the one but I'm not sure - as far as I recall, there's a rule somewhere that allows all creature types to do it (which expands, and is not in conflict with, the rule that says humanoids are permitted to do so, in the MM or DMG or wherever).

I see, Where can I find class skills for the different types of creatures, I cant find them anywhere....

Urpriest
2014-11-13, 11:13 AM
I see, Where can I find class skills for the different types of creatures, I cant find them anywhere....

It's not based on creature type, it's based on the individual creature. Since Skeleton and Zombie remove skill points but don't explicitly change class skills, the class skills would be the same as the creature had in life.

D4rkh0rus
2014-11-13, 11:16 AM
It's not based on creature type, it's based on the individual creature. Since Skeleton and Zombie remove skill points but don't explicitly change class skills, the class skills would be the same as the creature had in life.

I see, thanks.

D4rkh0rus
2014-11-13, 12:27 PM
Also, what would be good Classes for a skeleton. My idea would be something like having 3 skeletons (of 1HD) awakened, they trade their class level and more or less become my cohorts, sort of my elite troupe. Since were currently around lvl 11 they would level exceptionally fast due to increased exp.

My idea was a Character with a skill focus (A rogue or similar) that would be a form of Forward scout, a Skeleton that would focus on combat (a tank of sorts) and a Skeleton that would focus on some form of magic. they could also double as "spare character" should a player be found character-less

Given Wis 10 and Cha 1, anything based on those 2 stats is not gonna be too great, So I was thinking Factotum or plain rogue, Warblade or crusader, and for the spellcaster slot I am at a loss. I don't want to do any traditional spellcaster (so no wizard, beguiler, etc)
What non Warlock class is there that has spellcasting or "spellcasting" That either doesn't rely on any stat, or relies on Str, Dex or Int.

If theres someone who has done this before, how cheesy does this get? I might just grab and class them as warrior, expert and adept if they often break games.

Urpriest
2014-11-13, 01:12 PM
Also, what would be good Classes for a skeleton. My idea would be something like having 3 skeletons (of 1HD) awakened, they trade their class level and more or less become my cohorts, sort of my elite troupe. Since were currently around lvl 11 they would level exceptionally fast due to increased exp.

My idea was a Character with a skill focus (A rogue or similar) that would be a form of Forward scout, a Skeleton that would focus on combat (a tank of sorts) and a Skeleton that would focus on some form of magic. they could also double as "spare character" should a player be found character-less

Given Wis 10 and Cha 1, anything based on those 2 stats is not gonna be too great, So I was thinking Factotum or plain rogue, Warblade or crusader, and for the spellcaster slot I am at a loss. I don't want to do any traditional spellcaster (so no wizard, beguiler, etc)
What non Warlock class is there that has spellcasting or "spellcasting" That either doesn't rely on any stat, or relies on Str, Dex or Int.

If theres someone who has done this before, how cheesy does this get? I might just grab and class them as warrior, expert and adept if they often break games.

They won't be Cohorts, so they won't earn any XP and won't level at all, even if the DM lets them trade in their first class level.

D4rkh0rus
2014-11-13, 03:59 PM
They won't be Cohorts, so they won't earn any XP and won't level at all, even if the DM lets them trade in their first class level.

Thats interesting to know...

D4rkh0rus
2014-11-13, 05:23 PM

Although, now that I think of it, why would I be unable to level them? They have intelligence and class levels... isnt that enough?

Flickerdart
2014-11-13, 05:28 PM
Although, now that I think of it, why would I be unable to level them? They have intelligence and class levels... isnt that enough?
Well, you probably could send them to clear out dungeons and stuff, but be prepared for the very high attrition rate that's to be expected of low-level adventurers without the 0 to -10 buffer, or Constitution scores.

D4rkh0rus
2014-11-13, 05:36 PM
Well, you probably could send them to clear out dungeons and stuff, but be prepared for the very high attrition rate that's to be expected of low-level adventurers without the 0 to -10 buffer, or Constitution scores.

Well, I was thinking of having them participate in current adventures, you know, they gain experience from watching real (and living) adventurers fight off big baddies. preferably behind a wall of force/inside an antimagic field to prevent lethal damage to them.

that or maybe use them as spin off adventurers for when some of the players aren't able to show up.

OldTrees1
2014-11-13, 05:38 PM

Of the things intellegent enoguh to gain xp, only followers and things that advance based on your level(Familars, Psicrystals, ...) don't gain xp. A 5th level NPC that is allied with the party would gain xp from their contribution. It is the same way with the 1st level undead. However they gain this xp from the xp the encounter provides so it would reduce the xp the players gain.

Urpriest
2014-11-13, 05:39 PM
They have LA --. There's no way to calculate their ECL, so there's no way to know how much XP they get from enemies.

OldTrees1
2014-11-13, 05:40 PM
They have LA --. There's no way to calculate their ECL, so there's no way to know how much XP they get from enemies.

Doh. Why did I forget that?!? :smallredface:

Flickerdart
2014-11-13, 11:00 PM
Well, I was thinking of having them participate in current adventures, you know, they gain experience from watching real (and living) adventurers fight off big baddies. preferably behind a wall of force/inside an antimagic field to prevent lethal damage to them.
No. Why would they? That's not how XP works.