PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Half-Breeds??

UnoriginalGamer
2014-11-12, 11:38 PM
Two of my players are trying to make a mixture between Silverbrow human and a Deepwyrm half-drow. One of them (The one with more experience than me) Says it works and such... but as far as I can see this is at least LA 1? Idk though... Someone please give me insight on this?

1 extra feat at 1st level,Silverbrowhalf drow are quick to master specialized tasks and varied in their talents.
darkness 1/d
feather fall 1/d per 5/levels
desguise self 1/d
detect magic 3/d

+2 int
+2 dex
-2 Con
+2 Cha

Weapon Proficiency: A deepbrow half-drow is automatically proficient with the hand crossbow, the rapier, and the short sword.

+2 racial bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Listen, Search, and Spot checks. A deepwyrm half-drow who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it.
Disguise Aptitude: Silverbrow humans have a +2 racial bonus on Disguise checks, and Disguise is always considered a class skill. Their ancestors' need to guard their identities against those who feared or hated them has become second nature to silverbrow humans.
Dragonblood Subtype
+2 resistance to illusion and mind effecting spells
immune to mind effecting spells

Milo v3
2014-11-13, 12:03 AM
Yeah, that is definitely worth LA with those ability scores SLA's and immunities.

What makes them think this is how it would work, there are no rules on the subject of hybrids and comes down to GM intervention?

Also, having +2 against mind-effecting and immunity to mind-effecting makes no sense at all.

UnoriginalGamer
2014-11-13, 12:08 AM
Yeah, that is definitely worth LA with those ability scores SLA's and immunities.

What makes them think this is how it would work, there are no rules on the subject of hybrids and comes down to GM intervention?

Also, having +2 against mind-effecting and immunity to mind-effecting makes no sense at all.

That second half was removed after a check on it. It was a mistake. They used a punnit square they said, and after rolling this is what they found. Is there any specific things you could point out to remove/reduce or that would give it an LA?

Milo v3
2014-11-13, 12:17 AM
That second half was removed after a check on it. It was a mistake. They used a punnit square they said, and after rolling this is what they found. Is there any specific things you could point out to remove/reduce or that would give it an LA?

Punnit squares aren't what you should use for these game mechanics... just doesn't work with how races work in D&D (and most tabletop games)....

Either way the most powerful abilities there are the extra feat, they have too many spell-like abilities, spell-like abilities traditionally don't scale in uses, ability modifiers should equal out to 0 not +4, immunity to mind-affecting effects is definitely powerful.... The race just is overpowered in general.

EDIT: It should be noted that Deepwyrm Drow have LA Before you add in the human stuff.

torrasque666
2014-11-13, 12:18 AM
If they are trying to make a dragonblooded half-elf, go look at the regular half-elf for a good idea on how to work this. A Half-Elf gets +1 on Listen/Search/Spot checks, and +2 on Diplomacy/Gather Information, as well as low-light vision and Immunity to sleep spells and similar magical effects, and a +2 racial bonus on saving throw against enchantment spells or effects.
So.... basically a worse Elf, and almost none of its Human traits.

So, when applying this principal to a dragonblooded variant....Maybe keep the Con and Int modifiers and scrap the other two. Definitely scrap the bonus feat. Maybe give them a choice between the DWD's SLAs but not the feather-fall. Definitely keep the Light-Blindness. Scrap the SR. Keep the racial skill modifiers, immunity to sleep spells, and darkvision. This would probably make it LA+1.

Yeah, your player basically crammed the two races together and scraped the only negative(light blindness)

Telonius
2014-11-13, 12:52 AM
If it's a Deepwyrm Half-Drow, the stats are based off of the half-drow in Races of Faerun (which is identical to Half-Elf, with a couple of exceptions). So basically you take a half-elf (plus a bit) and add on the stats listed in Dragon Magic.

The result would probably be something like how you'd deal with a Human/Half-Elf crossbreed. Unfortunately I don't think there was any official ruling in 3.5 about what the stats for such a character would be. I had to dig into a rather infamous third-party source to find any reference that such a union could produce viable children at all. (According to BoEF, it can; Bastards and Bloodlines was no help). I also found one mention in an online discussion that in 2e, anything less than 50% elf was considered human as far as race goes; no books on the subject, though, so I can't verify that. Anyway, unless there's something big I've missed, the whole thing is firmly in houserule territory.

Personally I'd say, handle it just like you would a character whose parents were human and half-elf. If you pick one or the other for a "quarter-elf," do that for Silverbrow/Deepwyrm Half. If you mix and match for "quarter-elf," do it for Silverbrow/Deepwyrm too.

Just to mention it, the Deepwyrm stats in Dragon Magic seem pretty poorly-edited. It doesn't say whether or not the SLAs are in addition to, or instead of, the Drow's SLAs. It lists them for both Drow and Half-Drow, even though Half-Drow wouldn't normally get any SLAs (since Half-Elves don't either). And referencing a relatively obscure book that doesn't list much for stats and basically just points at Half-Elf ... well, that's just uncivilized.

weckar
2014-11-13, 07:13 AM
Bastards & Bloodlines has guidelines for making halfbreeds, although it is of course not exactly wotc...

Heh, who knew that book would have a use other than the Lost Tradition feat?

LoyalPaladin
2014-11-20, 05:55 PM
Why don't you just make a half-elf and apply the Half-Dragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfDragon.htm) template to it?