PDA

View Full Version : Monk Bonus Attacks

Baptor
2014-11-13, 12:03 AM
Hi everyone.

Quick rules question. The bonus attacks granted by flurry of blows. Do they include Str or Dex modifer, or are they just base die damage a la two-weapon fighting?

Eslin
2014-11-13, 12:32 AM
Hi everyone.

Quick rules question. The bonus attacks granted by flurry of blows. Do they include Str or Dex modifer, or are they just base die damage a la two-weapon fighting?

There's nothing indicating they're any different from any other attack, so they include the modifier. TWF is its own exception, it is the only type of attack that doesn't include the ability modifier.

odigity
2014-11-13, 08:42 AM
{scrubbed}

Eslin
2014-11-13, 08:54 AM
{scrubbed}

Good idea, editing my signature to preach the true word as well.

WickerNipple
2014-11-13, 09:02 AM

Is that why it's empty? :smallbiggrin:

Eslin
2014-11-13, 09:07 AM
Not sure, it's appearing on the other threads.

Edit: There we go!

WickerNipple
2014-11-13, 09:08 AM
Not sure, it's appearing on the other threads.

Edit: There we go!

Heh yeah was just a brief delay. I was amused, anyway.

Goggalor
2014-11-13, 11:05 AM
{scrubbed}

As for the actual topic, Flurry of Blows is (nearly) worded as such:

Immediately after you make the Attack action, you can spend 1 ki to make two unarmed blows; this uses your bonus action.

Two-weapon fighting does not use your bonus action to make the second, off-hand attack, which is why it has the text that it does not include your str or dex modifier.

Eslin
2014-11-13, 11:23 AM
{scrubbed}

As for the actual topic, Flurry of Blows is (nearly) worded as such:

Immediately after you make the Attack action, you can spend 1 ki to make two unarmed blows; this uses your bonus action.

Two-weapon fighting does not use your bonus action to make the second, off-hand attack, which is why it has the text that it does not include your str or dex modifier.

Yes it does. TWF uses your bonus action, which is why it is subpar to things like polearm master for everyone except rogues and mounted characters dual wielding lances. TWF's only advantages are being usable with dexterity and not requiring a feat.

Goggalor
2014-11-13, 11:33 AM
Yes it does. TWF uses your bonus action, which is why it is subpar to things like polearm master for everyone except rogues and mounted characters dual wielding lances. TWF's only advantages are being usable with dexterity and not requiring a feat.

You are correct. I read it as just a bonus attack, but it does indeed say bonus action. I've been letting my players use it as just a part of the regular attack, especially the rogue with his disengage bonus action. It looks like I'll just have to make an official house ruling. Thanks Eslin.

Eslin
2014-11-13, 11:44 AM
You are correct. I read it as just a bonus attack, but it does indeed say bonus action. I've been letting my players use it as just a part of the regular attack, especially the rogue with his disengage bonus action. It looks like I'll just have to make an official house ruling. Thanks Eslin.

I'm all for giving martials nice things, so I recommend you continue to allow them to do so, but I will note before others do that RaI the bonus action thing is part of the rogue's class design. A rogue purposely only gets one attack, which is very unreliable in terms of once-per-turn sneak attack damage, and can use their bonus action to give themselves advantage or to make a second attack, both of which make the damage reliable, or they can use it on cunning action, trading surety of damage for movement/disengage/hiding. They're designed to have to choose between the two, not be able to get both at once.

Having said that, it's not like I actually think things need work that way. A rogue can do both and doesn't end up that strong, just letting you know the design decisions behind it.

MadBear
2014-11-13, 12:08 PM

I couldn't love your signature more. Well played sir.

odigity
2014-11-13, 01:46 PM
{scrubbed}

Daishain
2014-11-13, 01:59 PM
{scrubbed}

Goggalor
2014-11-13, 02:07 PM
{scrubbed}

Shouldn't we at least try to keep our sigs somewhat on-theme for the board? All the other ones are D&D related...

My sig has nothing to do with the board, as do so many others on these forums.

I'm all for giving martials nice things, so I recommend you continue to allow them to do so, but I will note before others do that RaI the bonus action thing is part of the rogue's class design. A rogue purposely only gets one attack, which is very unreliable in terms of once-per-turn sneak attack damage, and can use their bonus action to give themselves advantage or to make a second attack, both of which make the damage reliable, or they can use it on cunning action, trading surety of damage for movement/disengage/hiding. They're designed to have to choose between the two, not be able to get both at once.

Having said that, it's not like I actually think things need work that way. A rogue can do both and doesn't end up that strong, just letting you know the design decisions behind it.

I agree that is the purpose, but gimping TWF is not my form of fun. My thought process has always been that if a two-hander can hit for full damage on a move-by attack, then TWF should also get both attacks doing the same move. :smallbiggrin:

Chadamantium
2014-11-13, 02:15 PM
For TWF would it be unbalanced to give the offhand attack no action needed when you make your main weapon attack? Would making it so you can't add sneak attack damage when you do this balance it out?

Haruki-kun
2014-11-13, 02:31 PM
The Winged Mod: Ladies, Gentlemen, please remember to stay away from religious discussion here. Thank you.

odigity
2014-11-13, 03:01 PM
{scrubbed}

Goggalor
2014-11-13, 04:33 PM
{scrubbed this, too}

Take it tells, od; stop mucking up this thread, please.

For TWF would it be unbalanced to give the offhand attack no action needed when you make your main weapon attack? Would making it so you can't add sneak attack damage when you do this balance it out?

I don't see it as necessary to not allow the offhand attack if the rogue uses sneak attack because if said rogue either takes the feat Weapon Master or dips in a class that gives martial proficiency, the rogue could use a two-hander that does 2d6 to sneak attack with.

WickerNipple
2014-11-13, 04:49 PM
the rogue could use a two-hander that does 2d6 to sneak attack with.

Not if they're following the rules for sneak attack. Finesse or Ranged only.

Baptor
2014-11-13, 10:02 PM
Thanks everyone! I am DMing a game and my monk friend will be most pleased to hear that!