PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Is it possible to buy mindless undead?

werebuffalo
2014-11-13, 01:12 AM
Is it possible to buy a mindless undead (probably a zombie or skeleton) to function as a 'pack mule'? RP ramifications aside, it seems like a medium-sized creature that doesn't eat, sleep, or breath; is immune to some spell effects, and can be ordered into danger without risking a life (even NPCs have mothers!) could be worth looking into.

Don't have a rogue? Send your zombie down the hall first and trigger some of those pesky traps! Did one of your party-mates die mid-dungeon? Have your (muzzled) zombie carry the corpse until you get back to town!

Endless possiblities. You could even argue that using the undead is better than the slavery which is legal in large parts of Golarion. Maybe. Or not.

Anyway, the obvious answer would be to hire a caster to cast Animate Dead, but that has some alignment issues if your GM is picky, and wouldn't that mean that the undead is controlled by the caster instead of by you? That's no good.

So, are there any price guides for buying 'pet' undead?

Any specific books, errata, or other would be helpful.
Oh. And Pathfinder Society. Would it be PFS-legal? I can't find anything forbidding it......

Thanks!

Arutema
2014-11-13, 01:44 AM
Any specific books, errata, or other would be helpful.
Oh. And Pathfinder Society. Would it be PFS-legal? I can't find anything forbidding it......

Thanks!

Pathfinder Society rules are inclusive rather than exclusive. If you cannot find a book which gives prices for such undead and see such book on additional resources, then it is not legal.

Fluff-wise, I imagine it would greatly vary by nation, with many condemning it. It might be legal in that land of high necromancy, Geb, but the living are not held in terribly high status in Geb in order to make such purchases.

Coidzor
2014-11-13, 02:35 AM
:smallconfused: Uh... This sort of thing would be specifically banned from PFS if anyone figured out a way to do it within the rules, so, no, this would not be of any real benefit in PFS play.

In 3.5 someone who owned an Azun-Gund/Nightcaller's Whistle could charge people for use of their item to raise their own pet zombie or pair of pet zombies, but that's useless to you given that they didn't recreate that item anywhere in PF's body of work, and would basically be whatever the owner of the whistle would feel like charging due to not having a RAW price or any guidelines for pricing that sort of thing.

If a character has access to the spell Command Undead then they can just take undead created by someone else's Animate Dead or Lesser Animate Dead, which would probably just default to the rules for paying a spellcaster to cast the spell.

Gnome Alone
2014-11-13, 02:40 AM
I've been kind of intrigued by the possibilities of cheap zombo-labor in a setting since I started reading the webcomic Unsounded, which features this and many other details worthy of stealing.

Milo v3
2014-11-13, 02:52 AM
The guidelines would just be the casting services rules, as you've mentioned.