PDA

View Full Version : Tiger's Den: Persona in the Playground (Social Link)

Mokou-tan
2014-11-13, 06:26 AM
The main room of the Extended Martial Arts Club was filled with excitement. Many were chatting as they practiced or sparred with one another. The subject they all spoke of was their club president challenging Tsubaki once again. Some students were even betting on who would win.

Tsubaki herself was assisting another member with pair stretches while the club president was finishing up some paperwork.

"Now, remember to take it easy for a couple weeks. You're still recovering and I'd bet you'd rather you weren't out for another week." The other student nodded to her. "Hey, Fumiko, you done working yet?"

"Not yet. Eat your snacks or something, I'll be done in a few minutes. I wouldn't have to do so much work if you hadn't agitated the student council and gotten our budget cut. For the third time."

"Sorry, I don't bow to false authority." Tsubaki leaned against the wall and opened a back of potato chips, offering some to nearby members as she waited for her opponent to finish their work.

banthesun
2014-11-13, 06:51 AM
Kyoko checked the note she'd made against the door. She could students chatting inside, and the sounds of people training.

"Well, I guess this is the place."

Since she'd forgotten to ask Tsubaki herself, she'd had to ask a teacher where the Extended Martial Arts Club met. If she was going to understand what Tsubaki was up to, she have to check out this 'duel'.

What's with 'Extended Martial Arts Club' anyway? Is there a normal Martial Arts Club they're not involved with?

Gathering her courage, Kyoko knocked on the door and pulled it open.

"Um, hi. Is Tsubaki here?" she asked.

Mokou-tan
2014-11-13, 07:32 AM
Tsubaki waves from across the room when she hears her name called.

"Hey, Kyoko! What brings you here?" As she spoke, the small girl walked towards the door, interrupting no less than three sparring matches instead of taking a roundabout way. She ducked and spun her way through the groups, trying not to be too in the way as she moved through the danger zone.

banthesun
2014-11-13, 07:40 AM
Kyoko couldn't help flinching as Tsubaki stepped between each group of sparring partners. This was already getting her on edge.

"Ah, hi Tsubaki! I thought I should come and see what this 'duel' was about. You did say it'd help me understand what you get up to, or something like that."

Mokou-tan
2014-11-13, 08:06 AM
"I also told you that you should avoid hanging around me." Tsubaki says playfully. "Not that anyone around here is going to give you any trouble." A young woman of average height stepped out of a side-room and approached behind Tsubaki.

"Hmm... You don't look like a fighter, so you must be here to sit in. You bring in all kinds of people, Tiger-chan. I'm Masuda Fumiko, current president of the Naginatajutsu club and, by technicality due to a certain someone, president of the Extended Martial Arts Club as a whole."

banthesun
2014-11-13, 08:20 AM
Kyoko's expression fell slightly. Tsubaki had responded playfully, but Kyoko was beginning to think she didn't want her around, she was being so insistent about Kyoko avoiding her. As the other girl came and made her impression of Kyoko, she began to feel like she didn't fit in around Tsubaki at all.

'Ah, pleasure to meet you! I'm Ueda Kyoko, Tsubaki said something about a duel going on today?"

Mokou-tan
2014-11-13, 09:08 AM
"Oh, you came to cheer Tsubaki on? I was beginning to wonder if she had the ability to make friends. I'm just going to get her back for all the times she slacked off when she held my position."

"I never applied, you all just pushed me into it. Paperwork is such a hassle, but you were pretty good at that kind of stuff, so I let you do it. If it was so bad, you could have quit."

"If I'd stopped doing the work, the club would have gone under." The pair glared at one another while smiling as all the members who had been training or sparing made their way to the sides of the room, not wanting to get caught in the impending storm brewing.

"Hey, Kyoko, there are some snacks and drinks on a table. Feel free to help yourself. They're mine, so nobody will contest you on them and I grabbed extra in case you did decide to show up." The little warrior pointed to a table near where she'd been when Kyoko had opened the door.

banthesun
2014-11-13, 09:47 AM
Kyoko glanced over at the table, and thanked Tsubaki for the offer.

Heheh, they look like they get on really well. Wait a moment, 'get her back'?

"You're the one fighting Tsubaki? Does that mean you're dragon- uh, nevermind!"

Mokou-tan
2014-11-13, 10:42 AM
"That's right. I have the traits of a Tiger, so it's only fitting that the person who is the hardest for me to beat to be the Dragon."

"'The Tiger and the Dragon.' I can't cay it's a wrong description for us. You're always just smashing through your opponent."

"You always do too much thinking. I keep telling you that's what slows you down." The pair slowly moved over to a rack with practice weapons on it. Off it, Fumiko grabs a deep green proxy naginata made from modern materials while Tsubaki grabs a wooden one that was either naturally white or had been dyed white.

"You really should move to more modern ones. With how hard you are on equipment, it really would be smart."

"I like wooden ones better."

banthesun
2014-11-13, 09:28 PM
So Tsubaki has the traits of a tiger? Aren't tigers meant to be good at hiding and ambushes and that? That doesn't sound like Tsubaki...

Kyoko stepped back towards the edge of the room, respectful of the circle of space being left for the two girls. Caught in the indecision between staying where she had a good view, and getting somewhere safer near the back, she found herself stuck at the front of the crowd. She turned to a nearby student.

"Uh, do they do this often?" she asked.

Mokou-tan
2014-11-13, 11:57 PM
"Every couple of weeks they end up doing this. They've known one another longer than Tsubaki has been here, but this is a pretty good example of their relationship from what I can gather. I think it's because they're similar, yet different." The student responded as the pair made their way to the center of the room. Tsubaki held her weapon in one hand while Fumiko stood in what one could only assume was a classic stance. "Tsubaki is technically using it incorrectly, but she's learned how to use it in only one hand. I've always wondered what lead to that style of hers. The weapon is stronger and easier to use with both as it requires shifting grips constantly, so she must have a reason for wanting that arm free, right?"

banthesun
2014-11-14, 12:22 AM
"That much? Wow..."

Kyoko watched the pair square off, keeping them in the corner of her eye even as she responded.

"I, uh, I don't really know that much about weapons. Uh, her stance does look kinda cool though."

Ugh, that probably didn't sound very clever at all...

Mokou-tan
2014-11-14, 05:03 AM
"To make it simple, you can put more strength behind a lot of weapons if you hold them in both hands. I have to agree with you though, her style is cool. Maybe for different reasons to me than for you."

"Are you ready?"

"Always." With that, Tsubaki lunged forward, making a wide sweep that Fumiko blocked before countering without losing her grace. Without hesitation, the smaller girl dropped to the ground and rolled to the side to evade the blow. She sprung her whole body in an upward kick, using her left hand as support only to have her leg grabbed. With a twirl, Fumiko threw Tsubaki to the ground, the white weapon skittering across the ground. A wet spot began to show on the leg of Tsubaki's Hakama.

"We're done here. You're already injured from something else."

"Oh, did I open up my leg wound again? Don't worry about it. If I can't manage at least this much, I wouldn't be able to protect anyone." Tsubaki smiled as she spoke, ignoring the pain in her leg as she stood back up.

banthesun
2014-11-14, 08:26 AM
As the fight kicked off, it became clear that Kyoko didn't make a good spectator. She was wincing and flinching with every attack, and it was clear that she wasn't comfortable watching the fighting. When the two paused, it took Kyoko a moment to realise why.

Tsubaki's bleeding!? I didn't even see her get hit! Wait, they're using training weapons, so it can't be...

As Tsubaki stood back up, Kyoko glanced from side to side, checking the spectators.

"She can't fight like this! Isn't anyone going to stop her?" she protested.

Mokou-tan
2014-11-14, 03:41 PM
"It's because they know better. If you want to protect something in this world, you have to be prepared to take on some pain yourself in exchange."

"You really should listen to your friend. If you keep it up, it won't be good for your health. Quit now and we'll call it a draw." Fumiko shifted into a defensive position, already knowing Tsubaki's answer.

"Don't look down on me!" Unarmed, the little warrior surged forward. Using her weapon's reach to her advantage, Fumiko makes a horizontal sweeping strike in hopes of keeping Tsubaki at bay. Instead of blocking or even attempting to avoid the blow, the smaller girl lets it land on her side. With a mighty roar, that sounds out of place coming from such a small girl, she grabs the shaft and pulls while rearing her head back, bringing Fumiko down to her level as she does. With a loud 'thud' their foreheads collide. Fumiko falls to the ground as Tsubaki stumbles, reeling from her own attack. After a moment of silence, Tsubaki walks over to Fumiko and holds out her hand.

"That is the single stupidest strategy ever, but you win." The larger girl accepts being helped up and goes to the edge of the room.

"It worked, didn't it?" Tsubaki went near Kyoko as everyone went back to what they were doing, some paying out their bets. After a moment a first aid kit was tossed across the room.

"Don't accept challenges when injured, you idiot." With that, Fumiko went back into the side room.

banthesun
2014-11-14, 11:20 PM
"But-"

Before Kyoko could say anything else, they were back fighting again. She flinched away as Tsubaki took the strike to her side, and held her breath as she heard Tsubaki's shout, followed by a painful cracking sound. Kyoko wasn't quite sure what had happened, but it must have been painful. She hesitated on the edge of the circle, only stepping foward when Fumiko admitted defeat and the crowd started breaking up.

"Are you okay!? That..."

That looked really bad! But I can't say that to her, she wouldn't even stop the fight...

"You're going to look after your leg now, right?"

Mokou-tan
2014-11-16, 03:10 PM
Tsubaki sits against the wall and pulls the leg of her hakama up.

"Of course I am. In a fight you lack the luxury of taking care of injuries." She undoes the bandages to get a look at the injury, blood trickling slowly from the wound. "Wow, Chika's going to get mad again. If I keep reopening the wound like this and it'll never heal." She slowly begins taking the proper steps to care for the injury, showing obvious experience in caring for her own wounds.

banthesun
2014-11-17, 01:53 AM
Kyoko cringed at the sight of Tsubaki's wound. It wasn't like she hadn't seen worse on the other side of the Velvet Door, but here, in a school classroom, it seemed a lot more real, and looked a lot more painful.

"You're treating it yourself? You're not going to the nurse's office?" Kyoko's voice was laced with concern. "Ugh, if there weren't other people here... I could, uh, get help..." she wispered, glancing sideways as she said it.

Mokou-tan
2014-11-17, 02:52 AM
"Why would I bother the nurse for something I can fix myself just fine?" Tsubaki methodically goes through the steps as she speaks, not really needing to focus on what she's doing.

"You shouldn't rely on the easy way out. Wouldn't it be strange if I just showed up tomorrow uninjured? Wouldn't I appear to be some kind of monster? For injuries gained on this side, I'll rely on the methods of this side. If I didn't, it'd cause trouble. My sister is really perceptive and I can't ever let her find out." Her voice was but a whisper, so only Kyoko could hear.

banthesun
2014-11-17, 04:23 AM
"Okay, I won't use that," Kyoko whispered. She felt somewhat relieved that she wouldn't have to summon Mimi, but she was still worried about Tsubaki's injuries.

"But..." Kyoko frowned, trying to come up with a response. She argued back "But what if you're hurt worse than you realise? That hit to your side... And you hit your head... What if there was something serious?"

Mokou-tan
2014-11-17, 04:58 AM
"Don't worry about it. This body of mine is rather tough, so it's not like it hurt that bad." Even as the little warrior speaks, she touches her side to make sure she didn't crack any. Satisified with her condition, Tsubaki pulls the leg of her hakama back down and stands up.

"You're a sweet girl, but if you spend too much time worrying about someone like me, your hair will go gray early. Then again, some people look good with gray hair, so that may not be too bad."

banthesun
2014-11-17, 05:39 AM
Kyoko wanted to argue more, but was caught off balance by Tsubaki's joke about gray hair.

"Ah, but- I-"

Hmph, you're always talking about protecting people, but you won't let anyone look out for you?

Kyoko looked at the ground, and back up at Tsubaki again.

"And I presume Fumiko is fine too?"

A hint of bitterness tinged her voice. Secretly, she hoped it'd be a sore spot for Tsubaki; Kyoko just couldn't help that pang of anger at Tsubaki being so patronising to her.

Mokou-tan
2014-11-17, 06:27 AM
"Honestly? I hope she has the worst headache imaginable right now. I know I'm going to here in a few minutes. She should have let go of the weapon, it would have left me wide open. If she wants to beat me, she'll have to learn to let go of the stick. In some cases, it'll just cause more harm." Tsubaki chuckles somberly. "She's an only child though, so maybe the lesson I learned doesn't apply to her."

banthesun
2014-11-17, 06:42 AM
"Huh, what lesson?" Kyoko got the feeling she was missing some kind of joke here.

"Ah, anyway! About that, you can't just take a hit like that! What if it had been a real weapon? It would- You would've-" she gestured irritatedly, before dropping her arms in defeat. "You... you wouldn't really have done that, right?

Mokou-tan
2014-11-17, 07:16 AM
"By allowing myself to be hurt, I finished the fight. It's just pain, so I can endure it." Tsubaki takes a couple of steps towards the door. "So, yeah, in a real fight, I probably would have. I just wouldn't have stopped with just a headbutt."

banthesun
2014-11-17, 08:19 AM
"But- but-"

Kyoko didn't know what to say. In her head was a vision of Tsubaki cut in half in some alley somewhere. The mental image was almost comical in how pathetic it looked, and some part of Kyoko's brain was telling her that someone couldn't be cut apart like that. But considering how willingly Tsubaki had taken the blow and how careless she was being about her injuries, it felt almost like an invevitability.

More than anything, Kyoko was feeling mad. Mad at how flippant Tsubaki was being, mad at all this incomprehensible bravado. She clenched her fists, unable to make eye contact with Tsubaki.

I should hit her. I should do it. That's what someone in a story would do. They'd hit her, and she'd realise how damn stupid she's being. Bam, just like that. Argh! That's how this whole stupid mess should work out! Not like in real life, where I'd hit her and she'd give me an angry look, or punch me right back. And instead of it magically letting her know how I feel we'd never talk again, and we'd have to put up with passing each other in the halls as two people who'd picked a fight with each other. Ugh, that's if I was brave enough to even try it, rather than just letting her walk out now...

So Kyoko just stood there, silently hoping that Tsubaki would notice her anger.

Mokou-tan
2014-11-17, 08:45 AM
Tsubaki turns around when she doesn't hear Kyoko's footsteps behind her. With a sigh she moves close to Kyoko.

"You seem upset with me. Sorry, but I honestly don't know how to make you feel any better. I know the risks of living the way I do. I know the ending you see in your mind. What I don't understand is why it bothers you."

banthesun
2014-11-17, 09:13 AM
Kyoko made a small choking sound. Unable to give an answer, she just opened and closed her mouth.

What? Why can't I just say it? Especially when I really want to tell her to stop being so stupid. Damnit, am I so mad I'm crying now? I have to say something!

"Why- why it bothers me? What? Tsubaki, I don't want you to die."

Mokou-tan
2014-11-17, 09:25 AM
"I'm hurt that you think so little of my ability." The little warrior makes an exaggerated show of the 'grievous wound' Kyoko had dealt her, deciding the best way to help the situation was to use comedy. "Everything dies eventually, but I'm not going to die for quite a while. I have to see my sister able to painlessly move her arm again before I'm allowed that luxury."

banthesun
2014-11-17, 10:12 AM
Her aunt's mute, and her sister is injured too? Is there something going on with her family? They're not yakuza or anything, are they?

Tsubaki's jokes had done little to calm Kyoko down, she still felt determined to win this argument.

"But if you do stuff like before... It ain't a matter of skill! No wonder no one's beat you here, they're not crazy enough to throw their lives away on a fight. I mean, even Fumiko was worried about you!"

Mokou-tan
2014-11-17, 10:29 AM
Tsubaki's eyes seemed to become sharper, as though the ever-present kindness had been drained from them. "Is there something wrong with putting everything you have into something? Is it wrong to have something so important to me? Because I wasn't skilled enough, my sister can't use her arm anymore. Even if it costs my life, I won't let something like that happen again."

banthesun
2014-11-17, 10:45 AM
It was only when Tsubaki started responding so seriously to her that Kyoko realised how rude she'd been in forcing the issue to this point.

And it feels like she just let something slip. Something important. Her sister...

"Uh, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said- I shouldn't have been so rude." Kyoko kept her eyes trained on the floor as she replied. "It- it's none of my buisness, sorry." She moved to step away, but before she could go she wanted to make sure her feelings were still clear. "Just... I dunno, please look after yourself too..."

Mokou-tan
2014-11-17, 11:01 AM
Tsubaki closes her eyes and takes a deep breath, reigning herself in a bit. I need to be careful, Chika says I get scary when I'm frustrated or angry. Calm down a bit, it's not her fault. After a moment she opens her eyes again, the kindness returning to them. "I'll look after myself when I have the time. But, don't apologize for speaking your mind. I'm not some kind of deity who will smite you for it."

banthesun
2014-11-17, 11:12 AM
"I was rude to you... It was improper of me..." Kyoko kept her head bowed as she replied.

Really, I can't believe I actually said some of those things. Especially when, well, I haven't known her for that long.

"There was no cause for me to act like that, so I'm sorry. But, uh, thanks."

Mokou-tan
2014-11-17, 11:30 AM
"I said it's fine, so it's fine. You can head back to the dorm ahead of me, I'll head back in a little. After all, I'm crazy, so it'd be bad to be associated with me." Tsubaki smiled as she poked fun at herself. Her own reputation was of little importance, but she'd rather not have other's soil their own.

banthesun
2014-11-17, 10:50 PM
Kyoko bit her lip; she still wasn't comfortable with ditching Tsubaki like this, but by now she knew better than to argue.

"Okay... I'll see you later, I guess... And, uh, I shouldn't have called you crazy."

Even if Tsubaki seemed to be joking about it now, Kyoko felt it was the type of thing that could hurt.

Mokou-tan
2014-11-18, 12:02 AM
Tsubaki chuckles softly at Kyoko's words. "I'll be about 5 minutes behind you. Oh, and it's only rude if I can say you're wrong. Right now, I can't deny that I may be crazy." With a smile, she starts picking up her things. "I have to do a little cleaning anyway."