PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Craft skill - How do I get more than one?

LentilNinja
2014-11-13, 07:08 AM
If a class allows a craft skill, do I only get one? Would I need to take another class to get another one?

Khedrac
2014-11-13, 07:32 AM
If a class allows a craft skill, do I only get one? Would I need to take another class to get another one?
Unless the class specifies which craft skills it grants as class skills, then all Craft X skills will be class skills for that class.
Even if it does specify a single craft then all others are cross-class skills and may be taken as normal.

The trickier question is "what is a craft and what is a profession?"
i.e. is it Craft: Alchemy or Profession: Alchemist?
I tend to allow players to choose which way they want to take the skill.

Edit: Historically in the UK a profession required a degree (doctor, lawyer etc.) while a trade did not (carpenter, joiner etc.). This made the TV ads for a certain Insurance Company whose slogan was "the choice of the professional" somewhat ridiculous as they listed a long list of trades not professions...

GreatDane
2014-11-13, 08:37 AM
Like Khedrac says, unless the class specifies that you get a particular skill (like Loremaster (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/loremaster.htm)), you gain access to all Craft skills.

The trickier question is "what is a craft and what is a profession?"
i.e. is it Craft: Alchemy or Profession: Alchemist?
Generally, a Craft skill allows you to make something, while a Profession skill allows you to do something. So there's Craft (alchemy) for making alchemical items, and Profession (salesman) for selling them.

Craft and Profession tend to get confusing because the PHB provides precious few examples of the skills or their uses. I've compiled some lists of each"

Craft (alchemy)
Craft (armorsmithing)
Craft (bowmaking)
Craft (calligraphy)
Craft (gemcutting)
Craft (leatherworking)
Craft (mapmaking)
Craft (metalworking)
Craft (painting)
Craft (sculpting)
Craft (shipmaking)
Craft (stoneworking)