PDA

View Full Version : Whirling Death!!!

AOKost
2014-11-13, 11:06 AM
I'm posting this thread to try and get an optimized character with the most attacks in a single round as possible.

Relatively simple rules: virtually any materials may be used (except homebrew classes, feats, etc.) such as D&D 3.x, Pathfinder, or anything relatively official, such as Dragon Magizine, Dungeon Magizene, things supported on the net, and other publishers. Show your work (what material or where you got a feat/class/spell etc. from, and how your attacks/progressions work) with and without magic items. Multiarmed characters are welcomed and encouraged. Silly alignment requirements are negated. For the purposes of crossing source materials, you may subtract 3 ranks of a prestige classes skill requirements to enter it for any 3.x materials, minimum 1 rank. There is not a level cap, so feel free to run wild. Tomes and Manuals that increse stats stack. Be relatively reasonable when using this, for instance dont stack 6 +5 Manuals of Dexterity... a +1 here, +3 there is ok over given levels, but treasure should be acquired according to level and randomness over the build. There are no specific race or class requirements other than playable races. Up tp +6 level adjustment is fine but super harsh.

My base idea was to make a Half-Marilith (Demons Revisited) Kasatha (Bestiary 4), granting 6 arms, Multiweapon Mastery, and since virtually all materials are welcomed, I would take the Multi-weapon feat progression tree (multiple sources have this tree, Dieties and Demigods, Savage Species, Epic Level Handbook, and Multiweapon Fighting is listed in Monster Manual, Monster Manual II, Monsters of Faerun, and Pathfinder materials). I really like the Brawler (Advanced Classes) class, and the Dervish (Complete Warrior) as I prefer using Unarmed Strike weapon damage progressions, and rule that Versatile Unarmed (Players Handbook II) Strike can be switched out with a standard bonus class feat for the purposes of entering Dervish. You don't have to use Brawler or Dervish in your build, those are just two of my favorite classes to use for a build like this as most DM's rule that a monks Flurry of Blows can not be used with Two-weapon fighting or Multi-weapon fighting.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Dusk Eclipse
2014-11-13, 12:13 PM
1,067,212 attacks in a single action (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=146.0)

Next :smallbiggrin:

AOKost
2014-11-13, 01:00 PM
Not quite what I was looking for, but thank you!

mabriss lethe
2014-11-13, 01:06 PM
If you don't mind an absurd number of natural attacks, go warshaper. by raw, there's no real limit to the number of natural weapons you can add to yourself as long as you take the time to add each one.

AOKost
2014-11-13, 01:42 PM
Hmmm... That is true. I hadn't actually considered that, but natural weapons don't generally have the damage output as most manufactured weapons or Unarmed Strike progressions... I kinda wanna keep this more of a martial artist feeling, even with many arms. Thank you for the suggestion though, I will definately keep that in mind! I had thought about taking abarant feats, gaining tentacles and extract to try and meet the prerequisites for Illithid Savant and use that to gain spells to cast polimorphing abilities... I know there's easier ways of going about doing that, but there aren't very many ways of gaining feats, skills, spells, class features, special attacks and qualities as being an Illithid Savant... :D

mabriss lethe
2014-11-13, 02:21 PM
Hmmm... That is true. I hadn't actually considered that, but natural weapons don't generally have the damage output as most manufactured weapons or Unarmed Strike progressions... I kinda wanna keep this more of a martial artist feeling, even with many arms. Thank you for the suggestion though, I will definately keep that in mind! I had thought about taking abarant feats, gaining tentacles and extract to try and meet the prerequisites for Illithid Savant and use that to gain spells to cast polimorphing abilities... I know there's easier ways of going about doing that, but there aren't very many ways of gaining feats, skills, spells, class features, special attacks and qualities as being an Illithid Savant... :D

In the situation you want, natural weapons have several advantages. Given the same level of buffs and bonuses, (a bit harder to acquire, but not impossible) You're more likely to hit with a large number of your natural attacks than with manufactured weapons. Iterative attack bonuses for weapon attacks drop with every attack. Natural attacks have it better. You have a single primary attack type that gets your full BAB and every other natural attack, no matter how many you have, is a secondary with a -5 penalty. Over the long haul, you'll hit with a lot more natural attacks.

The downside is, that they're harder to get sweet damage bonuses. However, if you're looking for damage output with multiple attacks anyway base damage is trivial. Power attack (sans shocktrooper, anyway) is not your friend in this case you're better off with some sort of bonus damage like Sneak Attack or Dragonfire Inspiration.

lytokk
2014-11-13, 02:35 PM
Most I could come up with is a warforged TWF with second slam, and the jaws feat. so at 20 it would be 7 weapon attacks, 2 slams and a bite, so long as you pick a class with a good BAB progression. Duskblade could work.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-11-13, 02:41 PM
Well another option I can offer you is my Black Swordsman Build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/editpost.php?p=17503269&do=editpost) which gets up to 16 attacks as a full round action every other turn at level 20.

AOKost
2014-11-13, 02:52 PM
I believe I understand what you are suggesting, but I don't think it meshes well with the intent I have in mind for this character build... I don't mind extra natural attacks, don't misunderstand.

I'm trying to find what class or combination of classes with a single playable base race will achieve the highest possible number of attacks. (Without resorting to the shinanigans of http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=146.0 as this would not be allowed in any game that I've ever played in.) The way I generally go is like I mentioned earlier, taking the Half-Marilith template, adding it to Kasatha, and getting Multiweapon Mastery from that build. the extra 2 arms and Multiweapon Mastery are the only aspects of the template that I desire as it makes taking the Multiweapon fighting tree much easier, having no penalties to my off-hand attacks. Taking Dirvish increases the shere number of attacks... Using unarmed strike (using Weapon Finnesse, and a modified version of Champion of Correlion Lathandar that does not care about race requirements allows me to add my dexterity bonus to damage, or Intuiative Attack) so I care little for strength based attacks, such as power attack. The higher damage progression used with other feats such as Improved Natural attack, Superior Unarmed Strike improve my Unarmed strike damage easily enough. Taking 1 level of Shou Deciple gives more itterative attacks still...

I'm not disputing what you are suggesting, but it's not really what I'm looking for... I could take a feat that allowed me to incorporate my natural attacks into my flurry or attack progression, that is true and something to keep in mind...

A_S
2014-11-13, 03:31 PM
So, there's definitely no upper limit to the number of attacks it's theoretically possible to make in a single round. If nothing else, you can always use Sanctum Spell + Greater Arcane Fusion to cast Celerity an arbitrarily large number of times, and then make an attack with the standard action from each casting of Celerity.

If what you're really going for is "an effective character I might use at an actual table whose schtick is making a lot of attacks per round," we might be more able to help you.

*edit* BTW, here's the correct link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17503269&postcount=1) for Dusk Eclipse's Black Swordsman build mentioned above.

AOKost
2014-11-13, 05:31 PM
Thank you everyone for trying to help with this, and sorry I'm being so nitpicky.

As an example (using the Aditional Unarmed Attacks progression found in Oriental Adventure) with standard Pathfinder feat progression:

Level BAB F/R/W Special/Unarmed Strike
1 Brawler +1 BAB +2F/+2R/+0W Special: Brawlers Cunning, Martial Flexibility, Martial Training, Unarmed Strike 1d6
2 Brawler +2 BAB +3F/+3R/+0W Special: Bonus Combat Feat, Brawlers Flurry
3 Brawler +3 BAB +3F/+3R/+1W Special: Maneuver Training
4 Brawler +4/+1 BAB +4F/+4R/+1W Special: AC Bonus +1, Knockout 1/day, Unarmed Strike 1d8
5 Brawler +5/+2 BAB +4F/+4R/+2W Special: Bonus Combat Feat, Close Weapon Mastery, Brawlers Strike (Magic)
6 Fighter +6/+3 BAB +6F/+4R/+2W Special: Bonus Feat
7 CoCL +7/+4/+1 BAB +8F/+4R/+4W Special: Corellon's Blessing, Bonus Feat
8 CoCL +8/+5/+2 BAB +9F/+4R/+5W Special: Elegant Strike
9 Dervish +9/+6/+3 BAB +9F/+6R/+7W Special: Dervish Dance 1/day, Movement Mastery, Slashing Blades, AC Bonus +1
10 Dervish +10/+7/+4/+1 BAB +9F/+7R/+8W Special: Fast Movement +5 ft.
11 Dervish +11/+8/+5/+2 BAB +10F/+7R/+8W Special: Spring Attack, Dervish Dance 2/day
12 Dervish +12/+9/+6/+3 BAB +10F/+8R/+9W Special: Dance of Death
13 Dervish +13/+10/+7/+4/+1 BAB +10F/+8R/+9W Special: Fast Movement +10, Dervish Dance 3/day, AC Bonus +2
14 Dervish +14/+11/+8/+5/+2 BAB +11F/+9R/+10W Special: Improved Reaction
15 Dervish +15/+12/+9/+6/+3 BAB +11F/+9R/+10W Special: Elaborate Parry, Dervish Dance 4/day
16 Dervish +16/+13/+10/+7/+4/+1 BAB +11F/+10R/+11W Special: Fast Movement +15 ft.
17 Dervish +17/+14/+11/+8/+5/+2 BAB +12F/+10R/+11W Special: Tireless Dance, Dervish Dance 5/Day, AC Bonus +3
18 Dervish +18/+15/+12/+9/+6/+3 BAB +12F/+11R/+12W Special: A Thousand Cuts
19 Brawler +19/+16/+13/+10/+7/+4/+1 BAB +13F/+12R/+13W Special: Martial Flexibility (Swift Action)
20 Brawler +20/+17/+14/+11/+8/+5/+2 BAB +13F/+12R/+13W Special: Maneuver Training 2
21 Brawler +20/+17/+14/+11/+8/+5/+2 BAB +13F/+12R/+13W Special: Bonus Combat Feat, Brawlers Flurry (Improved Two-Weapon Fighting), Unarmed Strike 1d10

Brawler so they can wear light armor and still have unarmed strike damage progression, taking Superior unarmed strike increases their Unarmed damage further. Brawlers flurry, since it acts like Two-Weapon Fighing, can easily be exchanged for Multi-weapon Fighting. Fighter to get Heavy armor and Martial Weapons proficiency and to take either Weapon Focus (longsword) or Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Thinblade), and the second level in CoCL to get Elegant Strike, to add Dex Damage to attacks that use Weapon Finesse. A full 10 levels of Dervish, taking Improved Multi-Weapon Fighting and Greater Multi-Weapon fighting when its possible, and Perfect when it becomes available at 21. A Thousand Cuts doubles the shere number of attacks made in a round...

This isn't as optimised as it probably could be, but it's just an example of what I mean.

bengordon1995
2014-11-13, 05:41 PM
In terms of things that are usable at a table, my favorite build i've ever made was a lightning mace disciple of dispater. Basically just max disciple of dispater for the x3 crit range with iron and steel weapons, get some kukri with the enchantment that allows you to treat them as maces in terms of feats, and then get the lightning mace feat. with that as the base, you can add all sorts of other optimizations to this nasty infinite chain build. My personal favorite was becoming colossal, having a 40 foot long kukri, and then just playing spin-to-win through cities.

Ratatoskir
2014-11-13, 05:50 PM
Duskblade 13/Swordsage 2(picking up assasins stance)/Telflammar Shadowlord 4 can give a lot by channeling dimension hop on using you last attack to target yourself with it. When you teleport you get a full attack from Telflammar Shadowlord 4's shadowpounce, which you use to channel another dimension hop...

Results in a number of attacks equal to D(x-1) Where x is the number of attacks you get per full attack and D is the number of second level spell slots you want to burn