PDA

View Full Version : D&D Adventure League Familiars

MadGrady
2014-11-13, 03:00 PM
I was considering building a wizard for my upcomming D&D Adventure League character, and I was wondering if anyone ran into any issues with their AL stuff with allowing wizards access to the variant familiars available to the Pact of the Chain Warlocks.

I was wanting my wizard to have a pseudodragon familiar, but wasn't sure if AL allows wizards to use these familiars since by RAW only warlocks specifically say they can have them.

Anyone else run into this issue yet?

Scirocco
2014-11-13, 03:11 PM
They don't allow Chain Pact Familiars on wizards. The AL rules specify what rules are used, so you're stuck with what the PHB allows. Considering this is a major class feature for some warlocks, this is more than fair.

MadGrady
2014-11-13, 03:14 PM
They don't allow Chain Pact Familiars on wizards. The AL rules specify what rules are used, so you're stuck with what the PHB allows. Considering this is a major class feature for some warlocks, this is more than fair.

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the quick reply. Homebrew I would have no issue allowing this, but I knew that AL was a bit more rigid.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2014-11-13, 03:19 PM
For context, the variant familiar rules give the impression that you need to find and bond with an actual pseudodragon in order to have one as a familiar. They aren't simply summoned like normal familiars, and if it dies you can't just make a new one.
I would think you'd need DM permission to have one at character creation, like having a custom background. No idea how AL DMs would rule on that, it may just vary by individual.

Edit: It seems like you have your answer.

MadGrady
2014-11-13, 03:22 PM
For context, the variant familiar rules give the impression that you need to find and bond with an actual pseudodragon in order to have one as a familiar. They aren't simply summoned like normal familiars, and if it dies you can't just make a new one.
I would think you'd need DM permission to have one at character creation, like having a custom background. No idea how AL DMs would rule on that, it may just vary by individual.

Which does make sense based upon flavor given for Chain warlocks.

Shadow
2014-11-13, 06:20 PM

This, but also note that in the case of the variant familiars, the familiar is the one that chooses the bond, not the caster.
I'm quite certain that an AL game could certainly allow one of the variant familiars, but it's at the DMs behest, not the player's via casting a spell.