PDA

View Full Version : Use magic devise question

Max Caysey
2014-11-13, 03:21 PM
Helle there, and gooodevening..

So I was just wondering what the DC, of a UMD check would be for my level 20 wizard to use a scroll of implosion?

Red Fel
2014-11-13, 03:31 PM
Per the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/useMagicDevice.htm):
Use Magic Device allows you to use a scroll as if you had a particular spell on your class spell list. The DC is equal to 20 + the caster level of the spell you are trying to cast from the scroll. In addition, casting a spell from a scroll requires a minimum score (10 + spell level) in the appropriate ability. If you don’t have a sufficient score in that ability, you must emulate the ability score with a separate Use Magic Device check (see above).

Now, Implosion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/implosion.htm) is a 9th-level Cleric spell, requiring a minimum Cleric CL of 17. So your Wizard would have to make a UMD check of DC 37 (20 + caster level 17) to be able to use the scroll. Additionally, he either needs to have a Wisdom score of at least 19, or else succeed at emulating an ability score. Again, per the Use Magic Device entry:
To cast a spell from a scroll, you need a high score in the appropriate ability (Intelligence for wizard spells, Wisdom for divine spells, or Charisma for sorcerer or bard spells). Your effective ability score (appropriate to the class you’re emulating when you try to cast the spell from the scroll) is your Use Magic Device check result minus 15. If you already have a high enough score in the appropriate ability, you don’t need to make this check.
In other words, if you don't have Wis 19, you have to roll at least a 34 (19 + 15) on your UMD check to emulate that ability score.

So... I hope you put ranks into it, I guess.

Max Caysey
2014-11-13, 04:20 PM
Per the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/useMagicDevice.htm):

Now, Implosion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/implosion.htm) is a 9th-level Cleric spell, requiring a minimum Cleric CL of 17. So your Wizard would have to make a UMD check of DC 37 (20 + caster level 17) to be able to use the scroll. Additionally, he either needs to have a Wisdom score of at least 19, or else succeed at emulating an ability score. Again, per the Use Magic Device entry:
In other words, if you don't have Wis 19, you have to roll at least a 34 (19 + 15) on your UMD check to emulate that ability score.

So... I hope you put ranks into it, I guess.

Thanks... So I have to make two checks in order to cast it, if I dont have 19 widom? Right?

Elkad
2014-11-13, 04:37 PM
Yes, 2 checks

Max Caysey
2014-11-13, 04:44 PM
Yes, 2 checks

Muchos gracias....

Curmudgeon
2014-11-13, 05:45 PM
Additionally, he either needs to have a Wisdom score of at least 19, or else succeed at emulating an ability score.
That's one way to succeed. However, a scroll of Implosion could also have been scribed by a Favored Soul, so if the character has a Charisma score of at least 19 then no check would be required. Scrolls don't have any class associated with them, and Use Magic Device doesn't add any restrictions about which of the possible ability scores is appropriate.

LTwerewolf
2014-11-13, 05:47 PM
That's one way to succeed. However, a scroll of Implosion could also have been scribed by a Favored Soul, so if the character has a Charisma score of at least 19 then no check would be required. Scrolls don't have any class associated with them, and Use Magic Device doesn't add any restrictions about which of the possible ability scores is appropriate.

The only caveat there being if the players or dm knows where the scroll came from. Random treasure I'd agree.

Curmudgeon
2014-11-13, 07:44 PM
The only caveat there being if the players or dm knows where the scroll came from.
Nope. Regardless of who actually scribed the scroll, the scroll itself does not contain any class association. An arcane scroll of a spell on the Sorcerer+Wizard list can be activated using Intelligence as a qualification, or Charisma as a qualification. A divine scroll of a spell on the Cleric (and thus also Favored Soul) class list can be activated using Wisdom as a qualification, or Charisma as a qualification.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-13, 11:53 PM
A scroll of Implosion could also have been scribed by an Archivist, which coincidentally enough would mean a requirement of 19 Intelligence.