PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Encounter design

Asteron
2014-11-13, 04:08 PM
I'm running a 3.P gestalt campaign and I need help with a situation. We are going through the Scales of War AP for 4e and we are in the 6th adventure, The Temple Between. In that adventure, the middle portion takes place in the titular temple. The adventure calls for a 3 way battle between the forces trapped there (Mercenaries sent by the big bad, Fey creatures looking for a book, and the PCs). I'm not sure how best to go about handling the situation.

My initial thought was to remove the 3 way battle part. I was going to have the fey be lead by a Verdant Prince who convinces/tricks them into helping his side. This would be the simplist to run, but it takes a bit of the drama away. I was going to have the fey be outmatched by the mercenaries and doing their best to survive since no one can leave. This can potentially be fun, but since the PCs need the book that the fey are looking for as well, it seems unfair to trap them like that. They could turn on the fey once the Mercs are done with, but one player would be crippled by the Verdant Prince's oath bond.

The second thought I had was to keep the 3 way battle but size down the forces (I had originally thought that the fey would number about 20-25 and the Mercs having even more.) This is the easiest way to go about it, but I wanted to avoid a smash and grab situation since that is all the PCs know how to do. It also doesn't make sense for the Mercs to have too small of a force since this is supposed to be the force that attacks the nearby city from the inside during a seige via a portal that connects this temple with the one in the nearby city. It would probably need to be a sizeable force to be of any use (although it could just be a holding force for a larger contingent to come later.)

In short, should I make it a 2-way or 3-way battle and how big should each faction be?

Any suggestions are welcome!

OldTrees1
2014-11-13, 05:34 PM
Are the PCs high enough that you could stat the mooks of the Mercs and the Fey as environmental hazards instead of foes? If so then you would have the key players in the fight be the encounter(total would be about 3x the party size).