PDA

View Full Version : Monster Class into Prestige Class

WeaselGuy
2014-11-13, 04:10 PM
So, I'm sure it has been addressed before, but I don't know where, and my google-fu is failing me. In Savage Species, it says that you cannot go from a monster class into a standard class before finishing the monster class, and I can only assume that the intent is that you cannot do the same with a prestige class. Now, was there ever an contradicting information put out on the matter? Or is this an instance where we go by RAW and use monster levels to qualify for prestige classes, then enter the prestige class as soon as it's available?

Keld Denar
2014-11-13, 04:59 PM
If you meet the prereqs, you can. Look at the spellcasting, BAB, skills, etc, from your monster levels. If they meet the prereqs, you can head right in.

Some races even include things like Sneak Attack that open up prcs.

OldTrees1
2014-11-13, 05:30 PM
Look up the quote in Savage Species:
If it says no base classes -> Then it does not say anything about prestige classes
If it says no standard classes -> Then it does prohibit base classes and prestige classes (the 2 standard classes at the time Savage Species was printed)

Troacctid
2014-11-13, 06:41 PM
No, you cannot leave a monster class early for a prestige class. The relevant citations:

A monster character using these rules may not multiclass until it completes the full progression in its monster class. This rule keeps characters from gaining the benefits of a monster’s type and then quickly switching to a standard class.

Prestige classes offer a new form of multiclassing. Unlike the basic classes found in the Player's Handbook, characters must meet Requirements before they can take their first level of a prestige class.
Prestige classes are a form of multiclassing, so you must finish your monster class before you can enter them.