PDA

View Full Version : No Arms? No Problem

bengordon1995
2014-11-13, 05:34 PM
So I have a long history of power gaming with my DM, who hates me for my repeated destruction of his universes without any of that lame magic. (Can anybody say infinite attack chains?) Anyways, my DM is starting up a new campaign with over 10 players, to be played over the course of the next two years. He initially didn't want to allow me to play this campaign, but we made an agreement. He gets to choose a nasty setback, and I build around it. I was surprised when he gave me the surprisingly simple "you have no arms." So, how can I use my no arms character to blow a hole in my DM's universe? (Note: I really have no intentions of ruining this campaign, so just give me some help coming up with a good build for being in a party of 10 and having no arms)

Edit: The party comp is currently: bard, druid, barbarian, monk, tank fighter, a psion, a psionic warrior, and a healing cleric, in addition to me and another undecided player

Thanatosia
2014-11-13, 05:46 PM
Simplest thing I can think of - strait up Druid. Wild shape gives you the right to Bear-arms.

If that doesn't work, maybe something that magic jars or otherwise body hops into other things and uses their arms instead.

Asrrin
2014-11-13, 05:50 PM
Pssssh, that's easy. Be a psion. all the power of a caster with none of the waggling fingers!

Edit: Also grafts. Grafting new arms onto your body will give you some good features. I think there is some sort of graft for a half golem's arms or something that will give you construct immunities.

bengordon1995
2014-11-13, 05:51 PM
Pssssh, that's easy. Be a psion. all the power of a caster with none of the waggling fingers!

Do psions not have somatic components?

I remember the last time I played a psion I was permanently blind and that wasn't even close to a problem, but no arms?

Urpriest
2014-11-13, 05:53 PM

I remember the last time I played a psion I was permanently blind and that wasn't even close to a problem, but no arms?

Powers don't have components, just displays. If you can think, you can manifest.

bengordon1995
2014-11-13, 05:55 PM
Powers don't have components, just displays. If you can think, you can manifest.

This is good, very good. My party already has a psion and a psionic warrior, how can I differentiate my focus in the party from what they are going for? I know a decent amount about the core psionic classes, but nothing about prestige or cheese. Are there any things that are need-to-know about doing psions right?

Urpriest
2014-11-13, 05:56 PM
This is good, very good. My party already has a psion and a psionic warrior, how can I differentiate my focus in the party from what they are going for? I know a decent amount about the core psionic classes, but nothing about prestige or cheese. Are there any things that are need-to-know about doing psions right?

Picking a different class would work. You could be an Ardent, for example, which can be cheesed out with things like Dominant Ideal, or a Spell to Power Erudite, which is essentially pure cheese.

Asrrin
2014-11-13, 05:59 PM

Psionic powers have no somatic, verbal, or material components. Instead, they have Displays. Every power manifested is accompanied by an Auditory, Material, Mental, Olfactory, pr Visual display that can be suppressed with a successful concentration check.

bengordon1995
2014-11-13, 06:03 PM
In that case I'll spend some time poring over the ardent entries and working through some backlogs of the GITP to find some cheese. Good call guys, I'll get to work on creating my armless wonder. Now the ultimate question, what to call this crippled thinker. Resisting the urge to pull a stephen hawkings and get my DM to lop my legs off as well

bengordon1995
2014-11-13, 06:12 PM
Picking a different class would work. You could be an Ardent, for example, which can be cheesed out with things like Dominant Ideal, or a Spell to Power Erudite, which is essentially pure cheese.

Okay so I've got a handle on the basics of Spell to Power Erudite, and I'm really liking the idea. How does this constitute high level cheese? Any particular tricks that get broken really quick? I'm imagining some sort of scenario where game balancing never intended a manifested power and a cast spell to overlap on the same person, but I can't think of anything like that off the top of my head.

THEChanger
2014-11-13, 06:13 PM
No arms? First thing that jumps out to me is Telekinesis. Can't manipulate things with hands, do it with that giant brain of yours. And when I think Telekinesis, I think Ghost Master of the Unseen Hand.

You'll want to pull out your copy of Complete Warrior, and you'll need this Savage Progression link (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a). You could soak the +5 LA to use the regular Ghost template, but...why?

Most people will tell you to grab just the first two levels of Ghost. I like to take the third to grab Rejuvenation, but your mileage may vary. In any case, once you hit level 2 Ghost, you take Telekinesis for your Lesser Ghost Power(obviously). Casts as a 12th level caster, or your HD if it is higher, and once you release concentration, it has a 1d4 round cooldown.

But here's the thing. You will never be stopping concentration. Once you pick up a few levels of a class of your choice(I like to take a martial class. Not Barbarian, because you need to concentrate, but maybe Hexblade or Duskblade. ToB? I'm not clear how Maneuvers interact with MotUH to be honest), you enter Master of the Unseen Hand. And at level two of MotUH, you gain Telekinetic Wielder. That greatsword over there? You're swinging it with your mind. Level three, you can make full attacks with it. Levels four and five have fun things too(Don't break concentration to violent thrust? Hells yeah. Throw enemies into the sky? HELLS YEAH!), but once you hit level 3 of Master, you're just as effective as any Big Stupid Fighter - but you're doing it from twenty feet away, and you're mostly untouchable unless the enemy is throwing magic around. Which they probably will.

But you went melee with no arms. So you win D&D.

bengordon1995
2014-11-13, 06:19 PM
No arms? First thing that jumps out to me is Telekinesis. Can't manipulate things with hands, do it with that giant brain of yours. And when I think Telekinesis, I think Ghost Master of the Unseen Hand.

You'll want to pull out your copy of Complete Warrior, and you'll need this Savage Progression link (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a). You could soak the +5 LA to use the regular Ghost template, but...why?

Most people will tell you to grab just the first two levels of Ghost. I like to take the third to grab Rejuvenation, but your mileage may vary. In any case, once you hit level 2 Ghost, you take Telekinesis for your Lesser Ghost Power(obviously). Casts as a 12th level caster, or your HD if it is higher, and once you release concentration, it has a 1d4 round cooldown.

But here's the thing. You will never be stopping concentration. Once you pick up a few levels of a class of your choice(I like to take a martial class. Not Barbarian, because you need to concentrate, but maybe Hexblade or Duskblade. ToB? I'm not clear how Maneuvers interact with MotUH to be honest), you enter Master of the Unseen Hand. And at level two of MotUH, you gain Telekinetic Wielder. That greatsword over there? You're swinging it with your mind. Level three, you can make full attacks with it. Levels four and five have fun things too(Don't break concentration to violent thrust? Hells yeah. Throw enemies into the sky? HELLS YEAH!), but once you hit level 3 of Master, you're just as effective as any Big Stupid Fighter - but you're doing it from twenty feet away, and you're mostly untouchable unless the enemy is throwing magic around. Which they probably will.

But you went melee with no arms. So you win D&D.

I think im in love :)

So what character level do I get full melee attacks in this build with?

Milodiah
2014-11-13, 08:58 PM
Question.

Does anything about monks specify that their attacks are punches?

Because from what I've gathered it's any natural attack the creature has, and I absolutely adore the idea of a Dwarf Fortress style combat biter.

Either that or give your character a nasty headbutt attack and a thick Glaswegian accent. It's certainly what I would do.

Renen
2014-11-13, 09:07 PM
Question.

Does anything about monks specify that their attacks are punches?

Because from what I've gathered it's any natural attack the creature has, and I absolutely adore the idea of a Dwarf Fortress style combat biter.

Either that or give your character a nasty headbutt attack and a thick Glaswegian accent. It's certainly what I would do.

I dont have a quote right now... but i remember people saying/quoting that "monks use their whole bodies"
So you can pelvic thrust them instead if u want...

Milodiah
2014-11-13, 09:12 PM
I dont have a quote right now... but i remember people saying/quoting that "monks use their whole bodies"
So you can pelvic thrust them instead if u want...

1. Start with 1 level of rogue.
2. Swap into monk.
3. Level up, gear up, skill up, etc.
4. Wait.
5. Defeat the BBEG with a running-long-jump-sneak-attack-pelvic-thrust-crit.
6. Drop the mic, walk away from table.

Renen
2014-11-13, 09:42 PM
Got you covered bro!
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/1579463/mj-pelvic-thrust-o.gif

Darrin
2014-11-13, 09:45 PM
Also doesn't need any arms: Dragonfire Adept.

Hmm. Could probably add Dragonfire Bard to that. Maybe Totemist, too.

Milodiah
2014-11-13, 09:46 PM
That's a class built around breath weapons, right?

Renen
2014-11-13, 09:49 PM
Huh... actually totemist with Girallion arms bound just gets arms period.
2 levels of tetemist, then go full wizard :D

Milodiah
2014-11-13, 09:54 PM
...hang on, did I read the OP right? A ten-player game?

Man, mad respect to that DM.

torrasque666
2014-11-13, 09:54 PM
Huh... actually totemist with Girallion arms bound just gets arms period.
2 levels of tetemist, then go full wizard :D

Could drop some soulcaster in there for a bit more essentia.

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-13, 10:00 PM
See, now I am thinking some variation of Spoons McGee, but you have to start at a decent level.

Also, an ardent tends to play more like a Psi-war than a Psion in my opinion, though if going psion, consider straight up going unbodied, or for laughs psionic sandwich yourself into a rivirnd sword (near unbreakable) and have a random mook wield you while you control him with body control.

- Yes, you can play a cursed sword with psionics. Funny as all get out.

Renen
2014-11-13, 10:18 PM
Or or... hear me out.
Have a weapon with Mouthpick!
You need a bite attack for that but really, im pretty sure you know how to get one.

HyperDunkBarkly
2014-11-13, 10:50 PM
See, now I am thinking some variation of Spoons McGee, but you have to start at a decent level.

Also, an ardent tends to play more like a Psi-war than a Psion in my opinion, though if going psion, consider straight up going unbodied, or for laughs psionic sandwich yourself into a rivirnd sword (near unbreakable) and have a random mook wield you while you control him with body control.

please tell me how to do this. I want to be a cursed greataxe. maybe I could take leadership or fluff myself onto one of multiple minions who will periodically compete to wield me?

Abithrios
2014-11-14, 02:14 AM
please tell me how to do this. I want to be a cursed greataxe. maybe I could take leadership or fluff myself onto one of multiple minions who will periodically compete to wield me?

I think the trick is to polymorph any object something into a creature, swap bodies with it, and let the polymorph expire. If you are considering leadership and psionics in the same character, you might look into the thrallherd prc. It is like leadership, but nongood and it doesn't matter if you get your believers slaughtered.

torrasque666
2014-11-14, 02:30 AM
For reference: The Psionic Sandwich.

Anyways, so in lieu of what I just said above, the most optimal way to create the most un-optimal character is to use the following sequence and build:

Race: Elan
Build: Telepath 20
Feats: Any, must have EK(Astral Seed) and skill focus (craft [basket weaving])

1. Acquire a loaf of bread (2cp)
2. Turn the bread into a sandwich (craft DC 5) (probably 2 minutes)
3. Polymorph the sandwich (preferably ham with mustard, pepperoni, salami, and jalapenos) into a fuzzy little bunny. (NPC casting 1200 gp) (1 standard action)
4. Cast astral seed (10 minutes)
5. Ritualistically slay yourself with favored method of suicide. Be sure to place your storage crystal next to the sandwich turned bunny. (I prefer to be killed with a dagger to the heart... :shifty: ) (Approximately 5 rounds)
6. Use mind-switch (the 6th level power) to switch with the rabbit, while in your storage crystal. (1 std action)
7. Metamorph into a troll and smash your storage crystal (now containing the mind of a sandwich). (2 standard actions)
8. Use psychic chirurgery to remove your negative level gotten from committing suicide. (10 minutes)
9. Dismiss your metamorphosis and manifest dispel psionics on yourself (to dispel the polymorph). (2 standard actions)

Congratulations, your ascension to the sublime state of a sandwich took:
23 minutes 6 seconds and cost you 1200.02 gold pieces.

Any one have a more optimal method?

Now, it occurred to me that this might not be a half bad character to play. So long as you pick up the power psionic overland flight and tweak your character levels a bit, you could seriously play a sandwich. Of course your hitpoints or AC wouldn't be much to speak of... but honestly, who is going to kill the sandwich that the fighter packs.

source: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=0ftn2ns1aaf272mmjvqlefsv04&topic=1187.msg8798#msg8798

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-14, 02:52 AM

Anyways, so in lieu of what I just said above, the most optimal way to create the most un-optimal character is to use the following sequence and build:

3. Polymorph the sandwich (preferably ham with mustard, pepperoni, salami, and jalapenos) into a fuzzy little bunny. (NPC casting 1200 gp) (1 standard action)
5. Ritualistically slay yourself with favored method of suicide. Be sure to place your storage crystal next to the sandwich turned bunny. (I prefer to be killed with a dagger to the heart... :shifty: ) (Approximately 5 rounds)
6. Use mind-switch (the 6th level power) to switch with the rabbit, while in your storage crystal. (1 std action)
7. Metamorph into a troll and smash your storage crystal (now containing the mind of a sandwich). (2 standard actions)
8. Use psychic chirurgery to remove your negative level gotten from committing suicide. (10 minutes)
9. Dismiss your metamorphosis and manifest dispel psionics on yourself (to dispel the polymorph). (2 standard actions)

Now, it occurred to me that this might not be a half bad character to play. So long as you pick up the power psionic overland flight and tweak your character levels a bit, you could seriously play a sandwich. Of course your hitpoints or AC wouldn't be much to speak of... but honestly, who is going to kill the sandwich that the fighter packs.

source: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=0ftn2ns1aaf272mmjvqlefsv04&topic=1187.msg8798#msg8798

The best part about the Psionic Sandwich:

(preferably ham with mustard, pepperoni, salami, and jalapenos)No cheese! :smallbiggrin:

In addition, the Psionic Sandwich trick, unless abused with riverine shenanigans, is actually a hefty self-nerf - you don't have any item slots, and can't manipulate stuff without paying any PP for telekinesis-like powers (the inability to own objects makes for a nice VoP chassis, though). So in actual gameplay, it involves basically no cheese in either the metaphorical or literal sense.

That aside, what are some other good forms to possess for the Sandwich trick? Possibly another PC's armor, so that you can move with them? Armor is very rarely targeted directly, and acid/rust/other corrosion attacks can be negated via the Bluesteel enchantment (+2000 GP, I think). Select a few non-self-buff powers (or maybe Vigor + Share Pain), and allies will be lining up for a chance to wear you. That sounds kinky

torrasque666
2014-11-14, 03:01 AM
The best part about the Psionic Sandwich:
No cheese! :smallbiggrin:

In addition, the Psionic Sandwich trick, unless abused with riverine shenanigans, is actually a hefty self-nerf - you don't have any item slots, and can't manipulate stuff without paying any PP for telekinesis-like powers (the inability to own objects makes for a nice VoP chassis, though). So in actual gameplay, it involves basically no cheese in either the metaphorical or literal sense.

That aside, what are some other good forms to possess for the Sandwich trick? Possibly another PC's armor, so that you can move with them? Armor is very rarely targeted directly, and acid/rust/other corrosion attacks can be negated via the Bluesteel enchantment (+2000 GP, I think). Select a few non-self-buff powers (or maybe Vigor + Share Pain), and allies will be lining up for a chance to wear you. That sounds kinky

I'm trying to see about combining I was going to see about combining it with Psion Uncarnate, but you lose just enough manny levels to disqualify yourself. Can't use psychic chirurgery on yourself. Could get someone else to do it though, since its the only 9th level power you need.

Just imagine that. Possess some ridiculously heavy armor(Mountain Plate anyone?) and just be worn by your parties beatstick, blasting all who come close. Whats this? Enemy Caster who doesn't notice you? Shed Body, fly on over to him, and reform. Oh hey there 60% ASF and -9 ACP(cause what caster is proficient with Mountain Plate?)

Wait, could this be done at a lower level through the use of Power Stones?

Phelix-Mu
2014-11-14, 03:08 AM
As a side note, not to question your DM's competence...*cough*....but a long campaign with TEN players? IS S/HE INSANE?

Honestly, I once ran one with seven people, self included, and battles became the bane of our existence, cause each one sucked up 2-3 hours for even the most routine on-CR stuff. And, beyond that, marshaling the irl Charisma necessary to garner and retain the interest of ten people at once is...let's go with "daunting."

Good luck to y'all. Sounds like fun, honestly, but I could never pull it off.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-14, 03:33 AM
I'm trying to see about combining I was going to see about combining it with Psion Uncarnate, but you lose just enough manny levels to disqualify yourself. Can't use psychic chirurgery on yourself. Could get someone else to do it though, since its the only 9th level power you need.

Just imagine that. Possess some ridiculously heavy armor(Mountain Plate anyone?) and just be worn by your parties beatstick, blasting all who come close. Whats this? Enemy Caster who doesn't notice you? Shed Body, fly on over to him, and reform. Oh hey there 60% ASF and -9 ACP(cause what caster is proficient with Mountain Plate?)

Wait, could this be done at a lower level through the use of Power Stones?

Oooh, that's a nice trick. That ACP applies to Initiative checks and attack rolls because of their nonproficiency, too! Wouldn't work on Runecasters, though, and using that trick is essentially begging your DM to send a Runecaster at the party.

HyperDunkBarkly
2014-11-14, 05:01 AM

I think the trick is to polymorph any object something into a creature, swap bodies with it, and let the polymorph expire. If you are considering leadership and psionics in the same character, you might look into the thrallherd prc. It is like leadership, but nongood and it doesn't matter if you get your believers slaughtered.

wow. thank you both. I'm going to save this character concept for a rainy day and hope I get to use it.

Urpriest
2014-11-14, 10:22 AM
Okay so I've got a handle on the basics of Spell to Power Erudite, and I'm really liking the idea. How does this constitute high level cheese? Any particular tricks that get broken really quick? I'm imagining some sort of scenario where game balancing never intended a manifested power and a cast spell to overlap on the same person, but I can't think of anything like that off the top of my head.

It's mostly just a matter of ultimate versatility. If you use a trick to get around the UPD limit, you can basically cast whatever you want from whichever book you want whenever you want, with only your top-level stuff restricted.

bengordon1995
2014-11-22, 04:48 PM

Sorry to have been away, my wifi card got all messed up. But this sounds like an amazing way to play. can you give me the starter rundown on how this works?

bengordon1995
2014-11-22, 04:54 PM
Also, in response to the concerns over having 10 players, the way this works is very game of thrones-esque, in that groups of 2-4 will be adventuring groups, and throughout the campaign there will be multiple times when we meet up in larger groups when our characters meet in game. then its assumed that our BBEG fight will include all of us fighting together (or alternatively killing each other, we dont know what alignment the other starting groups are playing)

Milodiah
2014-11-22, 05:15 PM
Also, in response to the concerns over having 10 players, the way this works is very game of thrones-esque, in that groups of 2-4 will be adventuring groups, and throughout the campaign there will be multiple times when we meet up in larger groups when our characters meet in game. then its assumed that our BBEG fight will include all of us fighting together (or alternatively killing each other, we dont know what alignment the other starting groups are playing)

I've always actually wanted to play this way, that's pretty cool. I recently ran two scenarios in which my players first behaved as protagonists, then as antagonists in the second. If only they weren't the same people, I would have loved to metaplot them against each other...

bengordon1995
2014-11-22, 05:41 PM
Reminds me of a good old time I had in a campaign setting. My DM wrote us a 2 PC campaign, dread necro and disciple of dispater. Needless to say we were as evil as evil gets. by the time we were level 15, we were beginning to build a fortress of evil out of the remains of a massive cathedral we had destroyed. by the time we were level 20 it was a desecrated fortress, filled with stained glass portraying our dark sacrifices, altars of blood and bone at every corner, corpses hanging from the ceiling from black iron chains, etc... The best part of this was when our friends ran their lawful good campaign right into our castle, searching for a holy relic we had stolen. We had no idea our DM had planned this, but man it felt good to watch them struggle through the massive traps and swarms of mother cyst zombies we had created. eventually they got to us, battered and broken, only a few basic spells left. We allowed them into the sanctuary, showed them the relic they sought. We let them believe right until the end that we intended to make a trade, their compliance in a dark ritual for their relic. But we were far too evil for that, so instead i just grappled them all into chains, and watched as my necromancer used his mother cyst to turn them all into our everlasting cancer slaves. simple solutions are always the best

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-22, 11:32 PM
Sorry to have been away, my wifi card got all messed up. But this sounds like an amazing way to play. can you give me the starter rundown on how this works?

Well, they people above explained the Psionic-Sandwich fairly well. The idea is that instead of a sandwich, you use the permenant force effect material from stormwrack. It cannot be harmed except by a very short list of spells. You can enchant the weapon (I suggest a diminutive +1 sizing dagger personally) with spellblade effects to cause it to reflect the spells that can harm it.

Now, once you are safely stowed in an unbreakable object, you can manifest powers without problem. Just grab yourself a person of humanoid shape. Let them pick you up and hit them with suppressed manifestation buffs. They smile because they think they picked up a magic sword.

Then, when you want them to do something particular, manifest Control Body (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/controlBody.htm) to take over control and do what you like for min/CL as they are trapped as a meat puppet for their psion overlord.

Seclora
2014-11-23, 12:33 AM
Well, they people above explained the Psionic-Sandwich fairly well. The idea is that instead of a sandwich, you use the permenant force effect material from stormwrack. It cannot be harmed except by a very short list of spells. You can enchant the weapon (I suggest a diminutive +1 sizing dagger personally) with spellblade effects to cause it to reflect the spells that can harm it.

Now, once you are safely stowed in an unbreakable object, you can manifest powers without problem. Just grab yourself a person of humanoid shape. Let them pick you up and hit them with suppressed manifestation buffs. They smile because they think they picked up a magic sword.

Then, when you want them to do something particular, manifest Control Body (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/controlBody.htm) to take over control and do what you like for min/CL as they are trapped as a meat puppet for their psion overlord.

You're thinking of Riverine.
I suggest choosing the form of a Riverine statue of a sandwich. Nigh-Indestructable, and as a work of art(statue) you can be sold as loot. Then you dominate the Heavy and use him to ravage the world. Best of all, when your Heavy dies, the new, clearly superior, hero -picks you up as loot-

Thrallherd riverine sandwich is obviously the best build for this.

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-23, 09:28 AM
You can actually occupy a -2 Sword (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#swordCursed) and become immune to death except in the case of limited wish, wish, or miracle. You "Cannot be gotten rid of except through..." I read that to mean cannot be destroyed. You can also see about getting the curse changed from -2 to damage to a penalty to willsaves that makes it easier to dominate your user.

atemu1234
2014-11-23, 04:46 PM
I personally like the druid idea:

National Druid Association: Protecting You Right To Bear Arms And Arm Bears since the 1970s.