PDA

View Full Version : Feat Suggestions

ZamielVanWeber
2014-11-13, 05:58 PM
I am playing a 3rd level trumpet archon using the monster class from Savage Species and for the life of me cannot decide on my 2nd feat. I took 3.0 Cosmopolitan for backstory reasons, so I am really squeezed on that last one. Any thoughts?

Keld Denar
2014-11-13, 06:04 PM
My go-to filler feat is Quick Recovery from Lords of Madness. No prereqs, decent utility, potentially very powerful.

What are your other feats? That would help us help you.

OldTrees1
2014-11-13, 06:13 PM
Ok so you have flight, Good BAB(that descends into average BAB) and Cleric spells of your ECL+2(that descends to ECL-6).

From that I would play it like a Cleric without Turn Undead(and thus without Divine Metamagic). Probably pick up Power Attack for now.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-11-13, 06:14 PM
My go-to filler feat is Quick Recovery from Lords of Madness. No prereqs, decent utility, potentially very powerful.

What are your other feats? That would help us help you.

I mentioned it in my initial post, but the 3.0 version of Cosmopolitan is my other feat. I need it for backstory reasons. Also I except this to be a low combat campaign (I should have mentioned that before).

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-11-13, 10:16 PM
I suggest you take a gander at the various flying feats in Races of the Wild.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-11-14, 12:27 AM
When in doubt, take Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm). Invest every skill point you can into it for the greatest return. Get a 10% bonus to your current and future experience. Upgrade it yourself as though you have all the required item creation feats. It's an intelligent item, meaning it's a creature that's treated as a construct, so it gets to take actions in combat and it can use those actions to activate its own powers. As a creature it will continue to function in antimagic and dead magic areas, even though those may suppress the benefits you gain from it, and it cannot be disabled or destroyed by dispelling or disjoining.

You can make it a ring and wear a glove or gauntlet over it so opponents will never have line of sight or line of effect to it so it cannot be targeted directly or stolen with slight of hand. It can start out as a Ring of Protection +1, per MIC p234 that effect can be added to any other magic ring for the same cost as a standalone Ring of Protection, so if you upgrade it yourself you'll pay half the new effect's cost in gold and 1/25 in xp and count it as a Ring of X (whatever you upgraded it to) with a +1 Deflection bonus to AC added. Make it a Ring of Invisibility and it can hold its action until after your turn, then activate its invisibility effect on you, so you'll be invisible during everyone else's turns until you go again (unless you make an AoO). Making it a ring also allows you to upgrade that item as though you possessed a feat not normally available until a moderately high level.

As an intelligent item, you can also upgrade it to add more intelligent item special abilities to it via normal item creation methods, as though you possess all the prerequisite feats to do so. Intelligent Item Creation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#intelligentItemCreation) has a steep caster level requirement, but this is for making new intelligent items, not upgrading them, and being an Item Familiar automatically makes it an intelligent item without having to meet this prerequisite. Upgrading an existing item is addressed just below that under Adding New Abilities: "A creator can add new magical abilities to a magic item with no restrictions." This is a normal function of the magic item creation rules, completely separate from the Item Familiar special abilities to gain additional intelligent item properties. When using the Item Familiar special abilities to add intelligent item properties you pay the full gp cost of the ability you wish to add. When upgrading such abilities onto it yourself you pay 1/2 the gp cost in gold, 1/25 in xp, and take one day per 1,000 gp of its listed price, per normal item creation rules.

OldTrees1
2014-11-14, 12:54 AM
When in doubt, take Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm).

I disagree. The Item Familiar was obviously designed with the risk of loss as an intended cost. This Binary UP(when the DM takes it)/OP(when the DM ignores it) nature makes it poor design and a headache for DMs to balance.

Take Shape Soulmeld instead if you want a "when in doubt".

ZamielVanWeber
2014-11-14, 05:09 PM
I disagree. The Item Familiar was obviously designed with the risk of loss as an intended cost. This Binary UP(when the DM takes it)/OP(when the DM ignores it) nature makes it poor design and a headache for DMs to balance.

Take Shape Soulmeld instead if you want a "when in doubt".

Not sure what, if any, soulmelds I would want to shape. And as sexy as Item Familiar is, I do not want to try to use it. I don't get many skill points so I would only be using it for its far more DM unapproved functions.