PDA

View Full Version : Can somebody Explain Dicefreaks cosmology

CowardlyPaladin
2014-11-13, 06:16 PM
I've been reading Gates of Hell because I am writing up my own Cosmology which is uniting Pathfinder/3.5/4th edition/Tome of Horror/Book of Fiends/Moongoose settings, because I am insane, and I was wondering if somebody help explain this to me. So I know that that there was the circle of three which are like the prime forces of Law, who brake to make LN, LE, and LG, and within Hell both Asmodeus and Lucifier were nothing more than Avatars to the LE version, a being known as the Overlord. But beyond hell I am confused. Here are my questions

1) Wait, are their Chaotic equivalent to the Circle of Three, or is Lawful>Chaotic in the Dicefreaks multiverse? Are their Neutral versions of these creatures?
2) So what exactly is the power level of these beings, and is there anything in the world that can can challenge them. I know that Asmodeus, the Avatar of the Overlord, is CR 81, but I don't know how gods work in the Dicefreaks universe, so is FR's AO like CR 200 and Grummish CR 93? I mean, Gargauth, a demigod, is CR 61 to Asmodeus 87, so that would mean a Greater God would be between 80-90 right?
3) In Gates of Hell it is made quite clear that Asmodeus/The overlord is the most perfect, most intelligent, most powerful, and most awesome and he is so cool you guys creature in the world who has basically no weakness and is always three steps ahead of you. So are the Supreme Virtue and what ever the LN version is, also this super awesome, or is Evil>Good in this world as well? Do they also have multiple avatars? Do the NE forces have Avatars? In the Abyss are the major Demon Princes all avatars of the CE version of the Overlord
4) So where exactly do Gods fit into this universe?
5) What ever happened to Lucifer anyways?
6) Do mortals have a chance in this world, because Gates of Hell really does make it seem like Hell is totally going to win both the BLood War and the war on heaven no matter what happens. I mean, even with Epic levels, what party of adventurers other than Pun-Pun can defeat Asmodeus?
7) Are their any other major super powerful forces in the world, like the Lady of Plain? I hear mention of the "master of Balance" does any body know what that is? In fact, does the whole Planescape "conceptional space" matter in the Dicefreaks universe? What about the Serpent from D&D, is that the Circle of Three? Are the Elder Evils in this world?

AuraTwilight
2014-11-14, 07:49 PM
1) Wait, are their Chaotic equivalent to the Circle of Three, or is Lawful>Chaotic in the Dicefreaks multiverse? Are their Neutral versions of these creatures?

Maybe. The Dicefreaks Cosmology is still a work in progress.

2) So what exactly is the power level of these beings, and is there anything in the world that can can challenge them. I know that Asmodeus, the Avatar of the Overlord, is CR 81, but I don't know how gods work in the Dicefreaks universe, so is FR's AO like CR 200 and Grummish CR 93? I mean, Gargauth, a demigod, is CR 61 to Asmodeus 87, so that would mean a Greater God would be between 80-90 right?

CR's never really been that useful a metric; putting it aside, Asmodeus isn't entirely a God, iirc. He has Cosmic ranks, and Cosmic Beings can count as deities for the sake of opposing the real deal, but aren't truly divine.

The rules for godhood more or less align with the SRD (aside from rules/mechanics tweaking), with divine rank extending beyond 20. Roughly around Divine Rank 40 you're getting close to, if not outright hitting, God with a Capital G.

3) In Gates of Hell it is made quite clear that Asmodeus/The overlord is the most perfect, most intelligent, most powerful, and most awesome and he is so cool you guys creature in the world who has basically no weakness and is always three steps ahead of you. So are the Supreme Virtue and what ever the LN version is, also this super awesome, or is Evil>Good in this world as well? Do they also have multiple avatars? Do the NE forces have Avatars? In the Abyss are the major Demon Princes all avatars of the CE version of the Overlord

...Just going to point out that Gates of Hell is partially written from the point of view of Hell's advocates. It's a partially in-universe document.

5) What ever happened to Lucifer anyways?

He got owned by Asmodeus.

6) Do mortals have a chance in this world, because Gates of Hell really does make it seem like Hell is totally going to win both the BLood War and the war on heaven no matter what happens. I mean, even with Epic levels, what party of adventurers other than Pun-Pun can defeat Asmodeus?

You have it backwards. The subtext of the document is that Evil, for all it's power and pervasiveness, is inherently empty and hollow. It is unable to really justify itself as an independent system of the universe, only through it's contrarian nature to hurting others and defying Goodness.

And Dicefreaks is ramping up basically everything. Every Epic level, class, monster, and entity is made to be more powerful because the Dicefreaks community just does not abide the sheer suckiness of official Epic material.

7) Are their any other major super powerful forces in the world, like the Lady of Plain? I hear mention of the "master of Balance" does any body know what that is? In fact, does the whole Planescape "conceptional space" matter in the Dicefreaks universe? What about the Serpent from D&D, is that the Circle of Three? Are the Elder Evils in this world?

Yes, to all of that.

It might help you to research the Godspell cosmology, the main campaign setting for Dicefreaks material, though not all material (like Gates of Hell) are necessarily married to it.