PDA

View Full Version : Utopia - Town hall and other public forums

gr8artist
2014-11-13, 10:56 PM
This thread is intended for IC conversations outside of the relatively slow pace of the overall campaign, but happening between the more adventurous expeditions.

The first major conversation to sprout up in our little colony was the inclusion/exclusion of a goblin troupe that had stowed away amongst our belongings. The dwarves are being quite prejudiced about it all, and refusing to share or work with the goblins in any way, though the other colonists have prevented them from turning violent.

esorscher
2014-11-13, 11:05 PM
Sam listens patiently to the conversations between the dwarves and the monstrous humanoids, taking note of who sides where. The bounty of Erastil is to be bestowed on all creation, but it is up to Sam to determine who is the most worthy recipient of the god's love. "And when your farms fail, should we share our food with you?" Sam asks the leader of the dwarven contingent. "You're as different from us as they are. In my mind, any who share in the labor, share in the profit. A goblin's arm is as good as a dwarf's, or a man's."

gr8artist
2014-11-13, 11:21 PM
The dwarves, of course, take offense to this, and begin protesting and arguing with the elder Smith. A few of them begin mocking Sam as a "filthy hermit" who took an orc to bed, and insisting that they'd do just fine on their own. Only Yangrit Un'drston does not join in the dwarves' argument. She's adopted a half-blood herself, Shalan, and is a bit more open minded about other races, it seems. She doesn't raise her voice against her kinsmen, however, though whether this is out of neutrality or fear it is hard to tell. Her adopted son, Shalan Kessel, listens intently but does not contribute either.
Speaking out against the dwarven families, the voice of Moggah Thunderfoot is clear and determined, but the dwarves simply turn their mocking disdain upon her. It seems they've harbored a bit of resentment over the inclusion of "less civilized" races in this undertaking, and they want to start off with a line in the sand.
The Greytooths, Menissa and Khalori, side with the goblins as well, though their patron Grom was already known to resent the dwarven brothers who'd outranked him as master smith by the prince's standing. Saint Wiles and Jasper Grinn, the alchemists, think that the goblins should be given a chance, but they state that they don't really care one way or the other. Jasper seems to be enjoying the argument, though. The Calaghans, a family of gnomish farmers, seem hesitant to join either side but seem to be sympathizing with the dwarves.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-11-14, 12:15 AM
Ladies. Gentlemen. If I might add. Gurgrek cut in. He had a tendency to speak with his hands, and waved them about almost constantly while he spoke. "While the dwarves over there are free to stew in their own prejudices, just like any old dwarf. Might I suggest looking down the road a bit? Perhaps, a year, or two. Maybe even less. When your tools of iron are rusted and tattered. When the beasts of the unknown wilds are clawing at your doors step. Ask yourself, if someone came along today and told they could prevent both of those and more. Wouldn't you be the least bit interested?" He paused for dramatic effect, letting his rhetoric sink in.

"My new, and dear, dear friends. We are the goblins of your dreams! Why, Yuk-rak here has a special brew that'll sniff out the iron in the hills faster that any dwarf swinging a pick axe. Our carefully constructed demolitions can clear out rubble much quicker than hauling each stone one by one. Not to mention my extensive knowledge of sewers and infrastructure! And did I mention I was a master of the arcane, and an expert in golem crafting non-the-less? The point I am bringing up, for all we have to offer, all we want is a place to call home"

esorscher
2014-11-14, 12:22 AM
Sam laughs. "For a moment there, I thought you were going to suggest we'd need the dwarves, for their skills with metal and mining." He smiles at Gurgrek, and extends a hand to the goblin. "The clergy of Erastil welcomes you, and invites you to spend as much time as you need in our tent. Our farms won't need space beyond what we've already marked, and you're just as encouraged to plant your own crops beside our lands." He looks around the room. "An offer, I might add, that extends to anyone, provided they have a neighborly spirit."

Drackstin
2014-11-14, 08:44 AM
Hecatomb reply's to the Sams offer " I am glad to see such hospitality, everyone deserves to be given a chance, no matter how others of their race have acted in their past. we are all here making a new world for ourselves, why should anyone be deprived this just by the race they fall under. I for one will give them the chance to prove that they are capable, everyone has skills of their own. lets see what they offer to the comunity before we cast judgment on others."

Sønderjye
2014-11-14, 11:52 AM
The journey had been hard for Thrall. The ship was crowded and people kept hitting him. He wasn't really bothered by being stuffed away under deck, he was used to that from his time as a slave. He was however bothered by the lack of stuff to do. Simbah has explicitely forbid him to hurt any of the colonists and and already after the first month he was ready to smash someone's head in. Now the real question was: did the goblins really count as colonists? He sent the goblins a hungry gaze as he cracked his fists, hoping for Simbah to give the green light.

Simbah however did not give the green light. There was no way he'd let go of an opportunity like this. He quickly covered the distance between him and the speaking goblin and extended his arm towards the goblin on the crate. It's my pleasure to make your acquintance fancy man Gurgrek, He says in a very serious tone before sending the translator goblin a smile.
He nodded in acknowledgement to Moggah Thunderfoot and Keska in addition to all the others supportors of letting the goblins stay before turning to the dwarves. He walks towards them, saying "I am a friend" with his body language. Old and honorable dwarven families. Remember your history. Remember when the house of Don'rston and the house of Thunderhammer claimed mount Du'um. No matter how justified Thunderhammer's attack first attack was, the war still exposed them to the goliaths. The prince is dead and so is 2/3 of our colony. If we don't stick together, we too surely will perish in this unknown land. Remember, be the men of wisdom you are and do not repeat the mistakes of the past.

Everybody from the group does their best to nod at the right moments, except Thrall of course who still hopes he can make some green splatter on the sand.
Simbah hopes that this is enough to convince the dwarves. If it isn't he's prepared to argue further.

gr8artist
2014-11-14, 09:33 PM
The dwarves quickly realized that the tide of the conversation was turning against them, and their protests became more infrequent. The begrudgingly conceded defeat, and agreed to give the "green skins" a fair shot, though they still seemed hesitant to live anywhere in their vicinity. Not a bad compromise, all things considered.
The first argument of the new colony had been decided, and most seemed to be in favor of this resolution. The dwarves would life as far from the goblins as they could, but wouldn't stir up any more trouble for the time being. Many of them insisted that the goblins wouldn't be able to hold themselves to "civilized" standards, and claimed first rights to punish the goblins for future misdeeds.
As the dwarves disperse to set up temporary camps, Yangrit and Shalan remain behind. Yangrit steps forward once the others are out of earshot, and reintroduces herself and her son.
"I 'pologize fer me' kinsmen's 'arshness, Missa' Gorgek. Me 'n mine'll welcome ya' tae our farm fer a dec't meal 'n conversatin', soon's we get set up. Shal'n 'ere likes tae learn 'bout other culcha's 'n folks from o'ter neck o' ta woods. 'S why we come oba' here anyway, tae find folk more tol'rable 'n understandin'. I'd never a' met a gang like Chino 'n his kin back in Tha'val's Res, tha's fer sure." She glances over her shoulder to make sure the other dwarves aren't sending her any nasty looks, then turns back to the group with a smile.

Sønderjye
2014-11-16, 08:24 AM
When the first day's survery is complete Simbah will try to gather as many people as possible to discuss the future.

I have gathered you here to discuss the future. There are many approaches to what to do and I see that some of you already have taken initiative to do your own thing, which is of course is fine but I am sure we can do more.
I suggest building a city. The building that I have seen this far will cause us to be scattered. If we instead build one city and have crops somewhere else it will be easier to communicate, we will be saver easier and help will come faster.

He turns to Gurgrek I know you have a dream of creating the city of goblinheim but you are five goblins. Wouldn't you rather be free goblins in a city that contained all of us?

If we decide to do so we will need to also discuss the location. Right of the bat I'd say that we need to evaluate on three criterias. Soil, access to water and defensive capabilities.
There is a cliff about 3 miles south that seems splendid for defensive purposes. However the soil around there makes in unsuitable for farming and there aren't a water source so while we could possibly use it later I don't think it's a good spot initially.
As Vitou suggested there is the mouth of the river. The soil is good here and there are obviously plenty of water, however it seems to be lacking in the surroundings. In case of attacks we would be exposed from all sides and storms can easily ruin our crops.
I suggest the fork, a couple of miles up the river. The soil and water access is as good as here but it's protected from storms and the two rivers prove natural defences in case we are attack from those sides. There are however more trees than here so we'll have work harder than here but ask yourself this: Is it worth putting this initial extra effort into our new home so that your children and grandchildren will be safer? For me the answer is yes.
Compared to your location Sam it has slightly better defences and some of it is already cleared, making building easier.
He then becomes silent and listens to what everybody has to say.

esorscher
2014-11-16, 09:29 AM
Sam listens as Simbah makes his arguments. There is a lot to consider. Finally, he says, "You make some good arguments. My people have already started clearing our land, but it's a lot of land, and it borders the fork. We'll stay where we are, which is close by, and we've got two rowboats that we can use to ferry people across, until we can build a bridge. Someday, we'll have expanded enough to justify building a fort on that rocky area to the south."

gr8artist
2014-11-16, 11:45 AM
Now that all the colonists are back and all the information made public, several experienced members of the community speak up.
Trick Callaghan, a gnomish artisan and leader of his three person family, expresses a desire to stay near the sea, either at the mouth or the strip up shore. He can use the sand to make glass, and his wife enjoys looking at the waves.
Arasmes Tholo, lead architect as appointed by the king, wants to live near the southern stone, so as to fashion stronger shelter. He dismisses urgency about the farms and farmers, stating that the two months of provisions provided for the colony should more than suffice while a keep or town hall is being built.
Kasari the Blackhawk wants to live near the water, as sailing is the only useful skill she and her ward possess. Calista, her friend, quietly voices a need to live near the river or sea, but that she'll find a place and needn't worry.
Yangrit and Oberick, the Un'drstons, voice an interest in the southeast cave, and point out that it might be a suitable place to begin mining or growing subterranean crops. The other dwarves shoot them some spiteful glares, but Oberick keeps his head high and proud.
Kara Oxhoof, mother in a family of three orcs, expresses a curiosity about the lightning-blasted tree and the description of the vegetation around it. She remarks that it sounds reminiscent of old orcish war shrines, and thinks it might be the best lead at encountering locals. This immediately raises protests and concerns from the others, who are not as enthusiastic about barbarian wildmen as the Oxhoofs seem to be.

esorscher
2014-11-16, 02:00 PM
Sam nods. "It is good to have diverse goals. If one of us falters, the others can support us. Arasmes, while you build your keep, my farms will grow. By the time it is time to harvest, you'll be in need of food, and if we ever need shelter and defense, we'd need your keep. Yangrit, Oberick, the minerals you find in the cave will no doubt be of use, but they won't be edible. We all have different strengths, and it is better that we work together, if apart, than to force each other to do what is against our nature."

Sønderjye
2014-11-16, 02:41 PM
To Sam The ferry is much appreciated. Can I hear your reason for wanting to stay?
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. Is it against your nature to live in a city? If we split up we will be vulnerable in this unknown land. At the very least we should stay grouped until we know that there doesn't live dangerous beasts or that the locals aren't hostile.

To Trick Callaghan and Kasari From the fork there is only 2 miles. We can travel through the river and reach the coast easily. He then adresses the wife's wish I plan on building a tower for scouting, it should be possible to see the sea from there.

To Arasmes Tholo Sure there isn't any urgent need for crops but in the long run you too will need food.

To Calista The river should have plenty of water.

To Yangrit and Oberick Mining certainly will be a priority.

To Kara Oxhoof We certainly will look into the circle. Do mind though that there is a chance that the locals don't like that we are claiming their forest.

esorscher
2014-11-16, 03:45 PM
"In the long run, we will need room to expand," Sam says simply. "The fork does not offer that. And I am not suggesting that we split up, at least, not at unreasonable distances. As you say, the distance from the shore to the fork is only two miles; from the shore to the southern cliffs is only five. That is walking distance; we can cover--and have covered--that distance in an hour. Messages can be sent by foot and signals can be sent using fire and smoke. The cities I have seen in the Old World were of greater size than the area contained within these three points, the fork, the shore, the cliffs."

TheFamilarRaven
2014-11-16, 04:07 PM
"I'm no history expert, but I don't think keeps were the first structures built by the surface races." Turning to Simbah, "Goblinheim is wherever we call home. True, I imagined we'd be a bit more in number, but I'd settle for a district. We'll most likely be running the sewers if we ever get that far. But -."

Gurgrek sighs and collects himself. "My point is, as the holy man here was saying, we gotta stick to our strengths, let's agree on a hub where we'll have our representatives gather, from there they can decide how best to expand the colony and which places need what resources. A wooden longhouse wouldn't be too hard too build. As for me and my crew, we're best adapted to underground, and the deep woods. This cave intrigues me, my guys we'll probably check it out tomorrow."

esorscher
2014-11-16, 04:34 PM
"For the time being, we can use the pavilion tent my clergy have erected as a temporary meeting place, until a more permanent structure is established. It is large, and warm. Since our lands are between the fork and the cliff and the shore, it is also a central location."

TheFamilarRaven
2014-11-16, 04:47 PM
"I'm fine with that. I'll have Tukka be our go-to-girl if you happen to be in any need of goblin genius. As of now I'm thinking about securing a source of ore, preferably iron. We'll need it to fix our tools and make new ones. My crew personally, I mean. You can leave that to me, I'll see what we can find in that cave." He pauses for a second, then looked around the room and sighed. "Unless anyone objects? Or would like to come along?"

Sønderjye
2014-11-17, 01:32 AM
Of course we'll need room to expand but there is nothing stopping us from expanding into the forest.

Listen, I don't know how you get the impression that I don't want us to use our strength but the thing is that being divided is dangerous. Yes if we stay within a couple miles of each other we can reach each other within an hour, however what if one of the small settlements are attacked. If someone is attacked during the night we won't manage to reach them, let alone even know that they are being slaughtered. We have just seen signs of an orc tribe and history tells us that tribes usually are very teritorial.

I can see that you are experienced in battle but some of the colonist have been working away from combat their entire life. If they were attacked by something as simple as a pack of wolves they would die before we were able to help.
I'm trying to avoid PF terms. What I am trying to say is that a group on 4-6 1st level commoners would get slaughtered by a pack of wolves.
PC's should be able to handle something like that but might still fall short if they were attacked by a strong monster or the orc tribe.

Trufflehound
2014-11-17, 11:01 AM
Vitou steps forward, taking off his hat. "As Simbah said, we would be much safer living together. If a baby comes three weeks early, if wolves or worse attack, or if a house catches fire, the best neighbors live within screaming distance. Help ten minutes late can mean a house or life lost. But then, different locations are better for different people. The cliff may be the safest place for a town, but carrots hate rocky ground. If we live together, no matter where we live, most of us will have to compromise. The glassblower would have to walk to reach his sand, the potter to reach his clay, the farmer to reach his crops. Nevertheless, this is the best way.
"Would you rather walk well-armed in the daytime to reach your crops, or run to escape attack at night? Would you rather live close to your neighbors with whom you trade goods and share joys, or live surrounded by terrors whose names you know not?
"I am willing to live by meeting place, wherever you all want that to be. If the farmers wish to live by their farms, I understand; they must protect their animals. Wolves eat sheep at night. But for the rest of you - wolves do not eat sand, or stone, or wood. Your lives are more precious than the few minutes of walking that will separate your homes from your work."

gr8artist
2014-11-17, 12:26 PM
"We shall have to scatter and manage different tasks at some point," Arasmes said, "Is the concern that it's not safe at this time, or that it won't ever be truly safe to do so? I can see wisdom in the first, but only folly in the latter."
"I thin' it bes' if'n we manage two 'r thrae dif'n goals at tha sem time. Me 'n mine'll head tae tha cave, wit' tha lil' gob'n folk, 'n work tha cave wit' 'em." Yangrit's thick dwarven accent gave pause to the conversation as others struggled to understand her. "Fahmahs pick a spot 'n get tae workin', 'n the city folk 'n other dwarves kin built a cas'le on tha rocks."
Kasari offered to manage to ferryboats on the river, assuming the farmers chose to use the fork as the future site of their town. Callista would live as near the water as she could, and seems interested in taking the Smiths up on their hospitality. At the moment, however, she approaches Sprigan and whispers something to him. It seems to be something of interest to her, but possibly something she doesn't care to share with the group.
The Oxhoofs proposed sending another survey to the blasted tree, with knowledgeable individuals who might better identify anything out of the ordinary. The have no particular desire to live there permanently, however, and are simply curious.
"We a' be careful, an not let dem wild ones catch us. If'n there an old tribe, a wild tribe, around here, den we gon' wanna know 'bout it soona, radda dan latah."
Trick concedes that he won't need so much sand as to warrant living on the beach, but he and his wife do eventually hope for a port to be built, and to live in it when it is. Trick mentions building a lighthouse, but his family quiet him quickly. He is a dreamer at heart, and his focus doesnt seem to be on more immediate concerns.

Several members of the group are lining up behind the idea of managing only 2 or 3 locations; each location would then have enough people to work several tasks and contribute to defense, as necessary.
Majeq, a fireborn half-blood with reddish blond hair and intricate tattoos on both his arms, asks the group about sending out an exploratory expedition. "Just a handful of folks, smart 'n savvy, to tell us what lies within a two or three day hike of the fork. Might find something' useful, ya ne'er know."

Drackstin
2014-11-17, 12:39 PM
Hecatomb reply's "My family will help where ever needed, i myself am a great engineer and was looking to start building near a mountain and river, in hopes to get my forge up and running again. maybe Yangrit, we could work together for a common goal."

TheFamilarRaven
2014-11-17, 03:30 PM
"If I might add my input to this discussion, I, using my amazing magical talent, managed to take the skies earlier today, and I must add, it seems as though there are only two points of real interest at the moment." Gurgrek cracked his knuckles, and stretched a bit. "For starters, let me explain in basic terms what I saw." Using his cantrips, Gurgrek began to create tiny motes of light, each of different color, to illustrate what he is explaining. "Now, here. This is where we all landed. To the west is nothing but ocean. further north along the coast, there is a strip, with a small cove behind it. Even further north than that, the trees become sparse, although the exact cause of that will need to be further investigated!" He cleared his throat.

"To the south, we have nothing but rocky plains and mountains, plus a cave to the south east. While to the east, we have the Clergy's farm and this here river fork, followed by a vast expanse of forest. Beyond that though, the forest becomes much darker, which I don't mind, but I'm sure some of you other folk do, so I can't recommend we explore that far til we're settled. Way off to the northeast is a spire of some kind, but that is miles away."

"So!" He clapped his hands together to get everyone's attention. "In my expert opinion, the only two places the need our attention at the moment, is the Clergy's farm, and that cave in the southeast. We've already agreed to take Sam up on his kind offer of using his farm as our community hub for the moment. Therefore, I suggest we set up wooden palisades not too far off, to serve as are first little town! Being such a master of the arcane, it is no challenge for me to create permanent, mind I said permanent, fixtures of light around the encampment. The walls themselves shouldn't be too hard to construct given the amount of colonists there are. Secondly, I am still curious about the cave, and my crew and I will be setting out tomorrow in order to see if it can be of any use to us, if not clear it of any danger it might pose, and to keep track of how many miles off it is from the farm. Anyone who wishes to join me is of course welcome to." He finished with a broad smile, aimed at the dwarves.

Drackstin
2014-11-17, 03:40 PM
"i think i will accompany you to this cave, and my dearest Lauren, for she is the best miner i know, and she knows how to handle herself. I'm very interested in what we might find inside and her knowledge of metals will also help. the rest of my family will tray behind and help Sam with anything that need to be done."

Sønderjye
2014-11-17, 05:20 PM
Spriggan whispers something back to Callista.

Simbah sends "whoever truffle is speaking as" an appreciated nod and a look that says "at least there is one other person that would like to avoid dying".

To Arasme: Initially it is so we can be safe for now. For the future? We don't have the nessesary knowledge at the moment to know if we need the safety of others for long.

Hearing Yangrit speak, Simbah sends some hand signals to Trelene(my group), who then starts moving her hands discretely in strange patterns.
Simbah admits to Trelene that he is completely unable to understand what the dwarf says and asks for a translation.
OOC: Draco, I honestly can't understand what Yangrit says. Since Trelene can speak dwarven I figured you might be able to provide a translation. If so Trelene will translate(still using signs) what the dwarf said.

He smiles and accepts the Kasari's offer with a nod.

To Oxhoofs I agree, that place should definitely be investigated. We need to know the locals. However let's focus on the matter at hand first.

To Trick: What purpose would a port serve? We don't have anywhere to travel for the time being. A lighthouse could become usefull but not before the ship could be returning, earliest in 12 month.

To Majeq: Good idea. However I would like to expand on that one and have expeditions even further away. In time. Right now our immediate surroundings has priority.

Trelene stops her translation and turns to Hecatomb, she says with a high-pinched voice: Great! A fellow crafter. I myself enjoy creating things and Mel here She points at a half-elf beside her. One can almost spot white spots in his hair, he frown and tries to object about not being introduced as Master Melviteiousne but Trelene cuts him short Knows a lot about Engeniering even though he isn't a builder.

Silean frowns looking at the map that the goblin draw. He is tempted to move some of the shining dots but decides against it.
Simbah raises an eyebrown at the many assumptions the goblin made but he too refrains from harming the goblins self-confidence.
He realises that the debate has become too scattered and raises to his feets, straightning his back and stands at his impressive 6'4 feet. He holds out his hands as to calm down the debate and speaks in a strong voice. Fellow colonist, we should decide whether or not we should form cities before discussing anything else. This will be an important choice which will have great effect on all of us.

I will now sumarise the pros: Quicker help, faster initial shelter, better communication, better coordination and finally safety in numbers.
I will now summarise the cons: Longer distance to ones working place and higher chance of being close to someone you don't like.

If anyone feel I forgot something or need to elaborate on feel free to speak

Drackstin
2014-11-17, 06:32 PM
"Silean is right, the more of us that work together, the faster we can establish a organized community. Everyone has their own plans for this new world, but how much can a few hold on their back themselves. Together we are stronger and that will help us overcome anything that is thrown at us." he then walks over to trelene and mel and hugs both of them around the neck throwing his size around "as for you two, we need to get together and make something then, we can't leave it to the dwarfs to build everything. Although they are legandary craftsman not everything can be built of stone. Ahahaha."
He then turns to the rest of the group. And his strong Scottish accent come out. "tomorrow I will be heading to that cave with my wife Lauren, we will be better off knowing what it contains. Weather it be danger or materials we should find out before it can find us. The safty of my family is what I care about most. Anyone willing to join me may do so." he drops his earthbraker hammer on the ground to show he isn't messing around with this decision.

esorscher
2014-11-17, 07:10 PM
At the mention of an expedition, Sam and Shayna exchange a look. She nods, and he continues. "When we are ready to explore, Shayna will accompany the expedition. She is a skilled tracker and survivalist, among her many talents. Before that happens, though, Simbah has the right of it--we should stay close together, although our various professional efforts may take us far afield. The river provides access to fresh water, and is central to the desirable locations some have expressed interest in. As we expand inland, north, and south, the riverside community will remain at the heart of our colony, and the buildings there will maintain their utility."

Trufflehound
2014-11-17, 08:44 PM
Vitou nods as Sam speaks, and afterwards pipes up. "Yes, water, that's important. Until we have wells or cisterns ready at the cliff, we can't live there. Perhaps we should build a fortress there, under our fried Arasme's leadership, if we need a fortress. We can put cisterns and food in cellars there, so that we have a refuge when we need it. For now a town near the river, by Erastil's farm, makes the most sense. If we build small, wooden houses now, we might make it through the summer - and we can always build big stone houses later."

As other people carry on the discussion, Gyan elbows Vitou. "Hah. Anything to gather neighbors around our claim, eh? It'll be a fine town, don't worry."

gr8artist
2014-11-17, 09:17 PM
The vast majority of the crowd seems to come to a common conclusion. At the prompting of the speakers, they agree to settle in as a single group for the time being. An expedition will be made to the south-eastern cave, though the vast majority will remain on the river, moving items to the Smiths' farmland and helping to clear trees. Several plan to set up camp and simple barricades at the fork, but hope to return before the next night's fall. Then those that wish to begin work on their own farms can begin work there and in the vicinity, leaving the Smiths to manage their farm without the pressure and crowd of the dozens of extra colonists. Expeditions to the blasted tree, rocky cliffs, or northern beaches are put on hold.
The concensus seems to be that at this point, only one additional project can be managed. Currently that project will be exploring the cave. Oberick Un'drston clears his voice and tries to get the groups' attention, getting an idea for how many colonists wish to trek to the caves at sunrise.

I thin' it bes' if'n we manage two 'r thrae dif'n goals at tha sem time. Me 'n mine'll head tae tha cave, wit' tha lil' gob'n folk, 'n work tha cave wit' 'em. Fahmahs pick a spot 'n get tae workin', 'n the city folk 'n other dwarves kin built a cas'le on tha rocks.

I think it's best if we manage two or three different goals at the same time. Me and mine (my people and I) will head to the cave, with the little goblin folk, and work in the cave with them. Farmers pick a spot and get to working, and the city folk (Arasmes and his allies) and other dwarves can build a castle on the rocks.

Shaira Thu'us, Yangrit and Oberick Un'drston, and Shalan Kessel
Gurgek and the other goblins
Shayna Smith, Walter Littlefoot
Thrall Demonbane
Hecatomb and Lauren

Sønderjye
2014-11-18, 04:00 AM
Simbah was the speaker, not Silean

Mel looks very uncomfortable being hugged but Trelene returns the hug and chuckles at his joke.

Simbah looks pleased at the change of oppinions.
Thrall you should accompany the expedition to the cave. He's a miner and can help judging if there could be minerals. And he can fight He recieves a grunt back.

Drackstin
2014-11-18, 07:00 AM
Hecatomb smirks as more join the group. "If need be my wife Kassandra can join us to scribe a map of the area for later use. That light show was exotic but not very practical. A good old map can help a lot."

gr8artist
2014-11-18, 05:00 PM
"Ah, I can help," spoke up a lovely half-elf maiden nearby. "My name is Shaira Thu'us, I'm a trained scribe and cartographer. A proper map would take a week or more, depending on detail, but I should be able to arrange something functional in a few days, with reliable scouts."
Shaira's husband, the aged Caladrel Thu'us, began to protest his young wife's decision, "Dear, they're... goblins, going to live in a cave. It's no place for someone of our stature. I'm sure the others need our help instead. And at that distance, you might be attacked, or deal with wild animals."
She paused, unsure, but looked at the goblins, almost pleadingly.

After the decision has been made, the colonists split up to tend to their different plans, camps, and companions. A few of the healers go to help a struggling family, who'd apparently come down with some illness, but were expected to be right-as-rain in a few days.

That's a reference to PZ's group of characters. Not forgotten.

It's also worth pointing out to anyone with a rank in Kn (geography) or Profession (scribe or cartographer) that her estimation of "a few days" is considerably longer than such a map would take to create. Her husband, a former librarian and book-keeper, is unfamiliar with cartography, and likely doesn't realize her mistake.

Sønderjye
2014-11-18, 05:14 PM
Mister Thu'us. I have to point out that we have yet to figure out who has stature or not in this new country. Simbah says in a tone that makes the threat seem less harsh. You need not worry, we will keep your wife safe.

Using diplomacy because this seems like a too petty thing to argue IC about, taking 10 for 17

Drackstin
2014-11-18, 05:29 PM
Samantha chimes in, in a very Suttle shy voice as she lays her hand on Hecatombs' shoulder "my husband will take good care of anyone who joins him. I have no worries you will all return safe with him by your side, I can also tend to any scratches you get when you return."

gr8artist
2014-11-18, 05:47 PM
Caladrel concedes, and his wife makes plans to join the expedition.

Night is falling on the second day in this new world, and the expedition plans to leave the morning of the 3rd.

gr8artist
2014-11-20, 09:37 PM
It was the night of the 3rd when a new topic quickly became a heated debate among all the colonists.

"I don't see why we'd need money to trade and barter things. Hell, long's my family's provided for, I'd give ya' anything I owned, if ya needed it more'n I." Chino laughed heartily, his arm thrown over the shoulder of his companion, Wester Labriggh. Chino's former wife, Lorenei, was a few feet away trying to teach their son Risco how to read the common tongue. Wester chuckled and added, "Money only meant somethin' when we had ties to the old kingdom. Now we can do things how we want. We can do better."
Lady Bronwick quickly became indignant, overhearing the conversation. "We're still a loyal colony of His Majesty's grand empire. The bemourned absence of His Majesty's son weighs on all our hearts, I'm sure. Until we are able to search for him, we should do all within our power to build a colony that will bring glory to the Empire. That includes the use and regulation of His Majesty's golden dragon."
"No offense, M'lady, but I think you're a little biased. Your family's been represented in the King's court for, what is it, 10 generations? There's a great number of folks here that're more qualified for your title, Lead Farmskeeper, than your or your son. The rest of us had to prove our worth to be here, unlike you." Otis Tillman had a way of being perturbed and whimsical that others found irritating or off-putting. Only the ever-patient Wheatfingers enjoyed his company.

Trufflehound
2014-11-20, 11:37 PM
Vitou shook his head at Lady Bronwick. "No, his Majesty's gold dragon means nothing here. Nor does his Majesty, until he sends ships to enforce laws or gather taxes. Like Chino said, we don't need currency yet. Gold's only useful if you want rings and chains, and silver is only good for ladles and mirrors. Food and blankets and shelter count out here. When I build a store, I'll be fine taking wheat or dried fish or work in exchange for goods. Makes bookkeeping hard, but that's alright. I won't be in the money business, I'll be in the business of giving people the tools and supplies they need when they need it."
He paused and leaned back for a moment. "But if merchant ships come, they'll want hard currency. Suppose they come with a load of wool cloth and salt pork, and want to take a load of furs. But the furs are worth more than the wool and pork, so they want to pay us a little extra in gold. Or if the load they bring is worth more than the load they take, they'll want us to pay a little extra in gold, or pearls, or amber, or whatever."
After another moment's reflection. "If we don't use gold or gems, then the king would have a hard time making us pay taxes. That would be fine."

Sønderjye
2014-11-21, 07:53 AM
The corner of Simbah's mouth twitched at the mentioning of the king. He really hated that old geezer. People like him were the worst kind of goi. He consealed his twitching by taking a sip from one of the many iron flasks hanging around on his body. Diplomatic as always he expressed his oppinion to the matter: "Now now, let's not argue over something that isn't relevant. Even if we chose to implement the golden dragon we don't have the gold to do so. And even if we found the gold it would be better used on creating magical items that either can help making sure we have food for the winter or can defend us against the local monsters."

He is suprised by hearing Vitou, he expected that the trader to be in favor of the coin system. Initially he was against letting the little merchant become fat on other's work but after hearing his arguments he can see the usage of a storage house. Let's let the matter of trading with the homeland rest. The captain said he wouldn't return for years so we have plenty of time to finding a solution for that.

He doesn't respond verbally on Tillman's outburst, instead deciding that cold silence combined with a displeased look will get his oppinion through quite clearly.

Drackstin
2014-11-21, 10:00 AM
Samantha speaks up about the topic "My family came to this new land to make a new life for ourselves, to be free from the shackles of our previous land, and be liberated from the laws made by people who don't know who we are. We believe we are stronger as a hole, that if we all do our part we should all be able to get what we need. not have to grovel for copper. if i help you, you help me, this is the way the world should work, not everyone being forced into rolls to make more or less then others. we are all equal as beings under the light and the dark of this plane. i know my family will agree, if you provide, you should be provided too. with love of family and colony we will strive without coin and without nobility, all we need is to stick together and work as a family to keep everyone moving. When my Husband returns, we will my family will set out to build our permanent lodging, i offer any who would like to join us please do, as long as you help, we will help you."

Mina nods to Samantha and hugs her then whispers "The will be back soon, don't worry" Mina looks at the crowd and decides its a little tense, so she walks into the middle of the room, and softly starts to sing.
~~~When the times are dark
And the evil's strong
When it seems that all is lost
Give up your honour
Give up your pride
But never give up your hope
Then... There are marching men
Brave and firm
Fighting for the land
As long as they stand together
Always will be hope
Friendship and loyality
Brothers for the land
As long as we stand together
Always will be hope
There are loving hearts
Faithful and willing
To make sacrifices
As long as they love each other
Always will be hope
Friendship and loyality
Brothers for the land
Always will be hope
Even when the light has gone
There are brothers bound to you
Give up your fear and lethargy
Take courage from the hope
And... Take your sword and ride with me
We'll seek justice for the land
As long as we hold together
Always will be hope
Friendship and loyality
Brothers for the land
Always will be hope~~~

as she sings she walks out to Chandre Issam'ael and pulls her into the middle of the room, hoping she would dance as she sings.

gr8artist
2014-11-22, 12:40 PM
Several of the colonists who'd previously been against the idea of a store or bank nodded in agreement as Vitou described his idea of exchanging goods and services, rather than "arbitrary currency". Only Lady Tess continued to protest. "All that we have, our provisions, our livestock, our tools... All of it was given to us by His Majesty, by way of his noble prince, and you would return such generosity with greed and hostility? That is the most shameful and despicable lifestyle I can imagine." Her lip trembled slightly, and she seemed to be nearing the verge of tears.
Ronnel Miara, an youthful nobleman, clergyman and soldier, spoke softly, but firm despite his age. "The Faith commands us to share and to give to those less fortunate. Even now my sister is tending to the sick, using her own medicines and resources to do so. The Faith commands us to return honest labor with honest pay. It does not specify in what form that pay must be delivered. The Faith commands loyalty and fealty to an honest, noble king. His Majesty was quite generous with his provisions and with the allowances granted his brother. The Faith commands us to return kindness upon kindness. I am as loyal to my king as any other, perhaps more so than most, but my first duty lies in the bringing of the Faith to this godless land. The Faith prospers where men and women are treated fairly, properly cared for, and live in dignity. Until such time as that, I think it would be imprudent to relinquish our supplies and our labor to a kingdom which cannot support us in the doing so.
There is wisdom in the acquisition of wealth, either coin or supplies, with which to trade with the ship upon its hopeful return one year hence. There is greater wisdom still in the saving of our supplies for times of need. A storehouse to regulate exchanges and in which to keep preserved food would serve both tasks efficiently. I would be glad to help in the construction of it, provided you allow the blessing of the Faith over its stone and soil.
As to the matter of taxes, I feel that it is a matter which should be put to enlightened vote*, but not until we possess the means and materials to do so. At this time, survival is our primary concern. I do, however, insist that if nothing else, we eventually repay the kingdom for the supplies they provided, with the addition of reasonable interest. To do any less is thievery, the taking of something without intent to return or reimburse."
A short distance away, those losing interest in the conversation began swaying in rhythm as Mina sang. Chandre agreed to dance, but did so awkwardly and at a difficult rhythm. "I am used to the caravan dirge and the dervish beats, not so much this lullaby of yours. I fear my feet do it no justice." She tried, however, and had adapted a great deal towards the last verse. The air around her shimmered as she danced, and golden light seemed to radiate from her as she spun and swirled.
)"]As opposed to a "common vote" in which each person's opinion and desire is counted, regardless of stature or standing, an "enlightened vote" is made only by considering the opinions and desires of "worthy" individuals.
Traditionally, this has included royalty, aristocracy, clergy, scholars, knights and commanders, and guild masters. Common folk are not generally included in an "enlightened vote", this was thought to prevent foolish or misinformed notions, and to expedite the process. Enlightened votes always feature a written ballot, so as to exclude the illiterate common folk who often sought to infiltrate such meetings.
This is common knowledge among anyone in the included groups, and somewhat obscure information to the common folk (who often were not aware that such a vote was even taking place).

Sønderjye
2014-11-22, 05:53 PM
Greed? Hostility? How in Pelor's name makes you conclude that it's greed or hostility to want to survive? Morgana says, one eyebrown raised. Simbah sends her a displeased look and tried to medigate the damage We admire your loyalty to the departed prince, honored be his memory, mylady but ask yourself what his majesty would have wanted. Would he want us to use our resources on creating currency or would he want the colony to flourish and become a stunning example of what our kingdom can produce?

"A clever young cleric" Simbah notice before speaking Ronnel (He had taken the time to learn everyone's name on the journey) You raise a good point for discussion. Even though we have agreed to not use money we still have unfinished discussion. As I see it we have two possibilities.
Either everyone make their own things and we all give something to the guys protecting us. This has the advantage that noone will be drifting but it could happen that some were starving while others were hamstering food.
Or we can share everything. Which obviously that the opposite advantages and disadvantaged of the prior.
What is your thoughts?

gr8artist
2014-11-24, 03:03 AM
"Everyone should work, and everyone should freely share and exchange their possessions, with an appropriate tithe being made for the blessing of the Faith." Ronnel paused, thinking. "I believe what Lady Tess was trying to say was that to accept the supplies given to us by the kingdom, but then to turn our backs on them and declare ourselves a sovereign state, would be tantamount to treason and, as I described before, theft. I am sure..." he acknowledged the noblewoman's presence tersely, "that she had no intention of us participating in such activities before we were able to logistically do so." Taking her cue, the good lady nodded, still sobbing.

Most of the farmers seemed to prefer the sharing of goods and services, while only a few of the artisans and smiths preferred the hoarding and exchange of goods on a stricter basis. But, in all, the colonists seemed to lean toward the open sharing of materials, especially this early in their colony's lifetime.

Sønderjye
2014-12-01, 04:57 PM
Morning Day 5 of the trumphet

Hecatomb proposes the road.
That's a good idea. Even with the trees being cut down to clear area for the farm we will still need more wood for our hourses. Might as well make a road while we're at it.
None in the Simbah crew are particularly skilled in clearing trees but he hopes that at least his oppinion will make others join the idea.

Not sure if this should be put here but it didn't really fit in the main IC.

Drackstin
2014-12-01, 09:23 PM
Lauren tells Simbah "I'm a skilled woodcutter, if you can help me wit a crew I can get this road clear fairly quickly."
After talking with Simbah privately Hecatomb "I have decided to build my permanent residence near the safty of the rest of the colony, but I will be building a secondary forge and workshop near the cave, that will make it easy for materials to be processed and worked on."

Sønderjye
2014-12-03, 02:30 PM
Since nobody seem to want to discuss items crafter IC I'll go forward and start this discussion. It's mostly aimed for the NPC's however since I don't want to delay the debate I'll just solve it with a diplomacy check [roll0]

Day 4 of the Trumphet

At the evening gathering Simbah will throw a suggestion to debate. He'll suggest that the village moves to the cave. Since they have only been working on the fork for one day blahblah, imagine how the minerals in the cave will make the colony bloom blahblah. He'll also repeat the arguments for staying as a group that he used last time. He and his will nod approving when someone speaks in favor of moving and look displeased when someone speaks against.

---

Gathering all the crafters(and whoever cares to join the debate)

Fellow colonists. The found of iron in the cave is a great fortune but also brings up a subject to debate. What should we make with it and in what order? The prince sponsored masterworked tools for so we don't need to care for mundane tools at the moment, am I right? He pauses and looks around to make sure everyone's on the same page before continuouing. I suggest the first thing to be created would be an animated wagon or cart. Both will allow for us to travel to the mine in about 1 minute. This will make it unnessesary to build residence around the mine so that we can stay safe together. For a medium-sized cart we will need 2500gp worth of materials.

Drackstin
2014-12-03, 03:01 PM
Hecatomb adds to Simbah's speech. "i do not wish to abandon the work that the Smith's and Ghemi-Klun's have done so far. I propose we build a road along the river from the farms already in creation to the cave. the river draws near to the cave, only about a mile away to the north, this would be a good location to make a bridge over the river to start our town, it would also be a great location for my workshop. This would also make it easier for materials from the cave to be processed. I will do what i can with my skills to make all our lives easier, but it will take some time to get everything in order. I would ask that any colonist that would agree with me on the road to please set forth to help, with enough people, we can have the trees cleared for a 20 foot wide road from the farms to the cave in a day or so. and a additional day to clear some land next to the river and the cave so we may set up living areas."

Kassandra adds "According to my crude map, the amount of trees that would need to be cleared just for the road is 15 acres, and 23 acres for the area near the cave and another 23 for the area near the river, that's a total of 61 acres, with enough help it shouldn't take to long."

"Ill do what i can to make help clear the land as fast as we can, we can put the trees in the river for the first 3 miles of the road for the Smith's and Ghemi-Klun's to collect when they arrive, and the second half of the trees can be saved for building near the cave and river. we have plenty of ox and horses to help move the logs" Lauren tells the colony as she pats Odin's head.

"If we all work together we can make this colony thrive" said Samantha hoping to bring people to the cause. "Its hard work but we can get this done" Mina tries to boos moral.

gr8artist
2014-12-03, 06:16 PM
Simbah's suggestion, the building of an animated cart to transport metal from the cave, is quickly met with distaste and disbelief. Lialda Wint'rbeth, a half elven lass more mature than yer younger elven half-sister, speaks up clearly. "Metal and stone would be welcome for many tasks, I'll admit, but would not grain and shelter be more prized? We toil every day to make ground for farming... We cannot eat iron, and it will not keep us warm when winter comes. We should build houses and farms first, and focus on our professions and talents when all else is cared for."
The Blackhammers, Dolgrin and Rogar, protest, "Quit yer yammerin', lass. Met'l and stone'll keep far longer than a house o' wood and straw. The faster we get tha' ore outta' the ground, the faster we can make weapons and hunting traps to take on larger game. You say we cannae' feed our bellies with iron? What about a nice flank o' one o' them 'kirin' beasts been rustled up? A beast that size'll break free o' any trap made wit' wood 'n rope, iron 'n steel'd go a long way toward keepin' us fed when it gets cold."

"Minister" Lelan Roy speaks up, questioning the veracity and calculation in the cart's design. "Your estimations are wrong, I fear. I know of no cart that could be easily made that might travel that distance in the time you describe."

The dwarves in the audience protest proximity to the goblins, and many of the colonists still believe the fork is the best place for the colony as a whole. Kasari and her companions stubbornly refuse to live away from the water, though Callista doesn't speak up or contribute to the discussion.
"We don't all need to be in one accord to make this work," declared Izora Lo'kari. She'd been under fire since the voyage had begun, the only leader appointed by the prince to receive as much grief as Lady Bronwick. "We only need to agree to help each other when needed. We can live apart from one another, farms where they'll thrive and forges where they'll prosper... There's no reason why we'll need to all huddle together in a small location." She smiles broad, her dark skin and elegant tattoos hinting at her foreign heritage. Her father had been a Shikaran warrior, a refugee from his emperor's army who'd earned the king's trust somehow. She'd been appointed by the prince due to her outside opinion on the ways in which items could be made, but she was far younger and more inexperienced than many of the others who were qualified for her role.
Arasmes Tholo chimed in again, vouching the benefits of a clifftop keep. "We would be safe there from anything that would engage us in war, and such a structure would be sure to impress the king and his emissaries when we again make contact with them."
"Impress?" the portly cook, Ed "Beans" Copperpot, stepped forward and injected himself into the discussion. "We got a long way ta' go before we worry about impressin' anyone. 'Sides, like as not the cap'n ain't comin' back. We were lost when we got dropped off here, ya? What you think are the odds he'll be able to find us again? Slim ta' none, if'n ya ask me. Bugger impressin' the dusty old codger and his court o' talkin' monkeys... We're lookin' out for ourselves 'n ourselves alone, an' no prince, no king, no god, and certainly no bloody mountain keep are gonna' change that."
Shandriel Moor, the only vegetarian among the colony's group of "hunters", added his two cents to the conversation. "It matters not to me where we eventually settle down, or who lives where. But the forest is sparse enough, we shouldn't need a road to cover these distances. Some markers so that we do not lose our way, but there's no need to cut down the trees and plants that have lived here so long solely so that we might get from one place to another more quickly."
Several others agree, that the 10 to 20 foot spaces between the trees mean there's little reason to build roads... perhaps a little brush should be cleared (much to Shandriel's chagrin) but there's no reason to stop clearing farmland just to build roads to locations that might or might not be populated in the near future.

Sonder, if you dont' mind, go back and compile your two posts into one discussion on the 5th night.

I know I haven't been as good at managing the timeline(s) as I should have been. Bear with me while we sort this out.

Let's try and get every thread caught up to the evening of the 5th day, then we'll progress in all of them in a more controlled fashion. The main IC thread, that's already on day 6, let's hold off on until the other thread(s) are caught up.

Drackstin
2014-12-03, 08:17 PM
"A road may not be needed but they will benefit us, more so in the cold months. It will make travel easier and we would be able to use our wagons and carts on them, where we can not in the forest. I do understand your concern about the trees, but at the moment we all need wood to build our dwellings. For now I will set out and clear a road from the cave to the river, I will clear an area to build what I need and I will help the dwarfs in any way I can, also, I will be making something to supplement our need for labor, and travel. If at any time you think the road is needed, we can build it from where I left off." Hecatomb leaves the colonist and readies his family and possessions for travel.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-12-04, 12:04 AM
"Perhaps a road need not be built." Gurgrek began, "But it does seem like a sensible idea to clear a path. We do in fact know there is at least ONE creature in this new land that prefers to ambush from the tree-tops. And I'd hate a for a colonist to be injured or worse if they decided to take a stroll."

Sønderjye
2014-12-04, 08:35 AM
You all speak about how we don't NEED to be at the same place to make this work but none of you seem to have other arguments. As Hecatomb and Gurgrek says a road isn't needed but there are many benefits to it. Just as it's not needed for everyone to live in the same village but there are many benefits and little drawbacks of doing so.

Simbah's suggestion, the building of an animated cart to transport metal from the cave, is quickly met with distaste and disbelief.
That's not what he said.

To Lialda Wint'rbeth:You are misunderstanding me. I said that we we could use it to transport people. If there is almost no transport time to the mine I can see no reason to split the colony.
He has made calculations that suggests that the colony had enough farmers to not need magic items but he wasn't going to make Lialda his opponent in this debate. It would have to wait for later.

To "Minister" Lelan Roy As of now it would take slightly above 13 minutes for a medium wagon made from 2500 worth of materials. We could decrease the travel time to 11 minutes by using about 1000 gp's worth of additional materials.

Simbah doesn't join the debate regarding impressing the king but agrees that a keep would be immensely usefull, however there are more immediate conserns that must be handled first.

To Shandriel Moor and those who agree with him. We need lumber to build our houses and we might as well make a clear path while we're at it. You should consider that if we make a cleared path then the animals will learn where we go so they will have peace as long as they aren't there.

Not using day 5 of the trumphet. If both conversations is going to be at one day then it will be day 4 because that is when people have just returned from the cave and they have put less effort into the current location.

A brief reminder to those who forgot the argument-theory they learned in school. On the most basic level there are statements, which is what you want; arguments, which is the reason you want it and the connection between those two. I see a lot of statements and very few arguments. The strongest argument I have seen this far is that we can't expect people to move after they have worked, but they have worked for about 2 days and that's nothing compared to the decades that this campaign is ment to last.
A lot of you seem to feel the need to say that there isn't a "need" to stay together but that doesn't mean that it isn't a good idea to do.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-12-04, 11:30 AM
"Simbah, I WANT to live near the cave, it's where we goblins are most comfortable. Most of the dwarves DON'T want to be anywhere near us. And even a member of your own party expressed, in no uncertain terms, that he detested me. I cannot speak for other colonists, but I'm sure they have some desires of where they would like to live, and where they would not. Logos is a powerful tool of debate, but pathos can be stronger still. If you wish for us to put aside all of our differences and live in close proximity then you are going to have to prove the necessity of one village, in order to overcome the emotional desire to live where one wants, rather than listing the obvious benefits of sticking together. Gurgrek sighed. "Of course I say we don't need a road, and again, obviously there is a benefit to having one. The point I was trying to make is that we should determine what actually IS needed before we commit time, effort and resources to the task. I am all for constructing the road, but if we so happen to need irrigation canals for the farms, or a granary, or a wind/watermill, then I would imagine that project takes priority. Fortunately, we probably have enough labor to accomplish multiple tasks at once, so let's figure out what work needs to be done for the colony as a whole, then we can go back and manage our respective little areas."

Sønderjye
2014-12-04, 12:02 PM
Simbah is impressed by the goblins knowledge of argumentation.
Your point is valid but we have to think of the future as well. I dream of an utopia where hate is a forgotten term and if we split up because we don't like each other then our children won't like each other. However if they get a chance to meet and get to know each other our disbutes might not carry on in the future.

Drackstin
2014-12-04, 12:17 PM
Hecatomb looks at simbah and smiles at his ambition."Hate is not easily forgotten, even when you try. many hate the drow even though they have never seen one. these things are instilled in all of use from stories and past happening. I for one offer help and to anyone that needs it. we are all equal under the eyes of those above, and i will harbor no hate to anyone, for who they are or what they chose to do. In time we will form bonds with each other, but for now, let each pick what they want to do, forcing something sometimes only makes it easier to go against."

Trufflehound
2014-12-04, 01:17 PM
Vitou stands up, his face alternating between his best smile and a bitter stare. "Friends, I am happy to work for the common good, as long as the common good is everyone's good. Remember why we chose to live in one spot, one town? For the sake of safety, of community, and of business. Now some want to live a few miles away, at the cave. If I was in their spot, I would do the same. They want us to clear a road or cart-path to connect us. I may be wrong - I have been before - but I believe this is for everyone's good.
"A road provides safety. Without a good road, it is easy to lose your way in the fog or the dark. With a road, we can travel safely between the two settlements after dark. Without a good road, it will be hard to bring food to the cave, or iron tools to the town. The road will help us all prosper. Without the road, the two settlements are separated. We would stop meeting in the evenings. We would be like worlds apart. A road would make us safe, happy, and prosperous.
"You all have your own land to tend, households to manage. So do I. I understand that you want to feed yourselves - this is fair. Yet you want a perfect society without money! You want us to share everything freely! You want to share our food and money, but you do not want to share our work? If you refuse to help goblins or dwarves, very well - but then do not ask for my help. I will help build a road, trusting that those in the cave will help me someday, and that the road will help us all."

Ullama quickly adds, "We have a donkey and cart, if any want rent it."

Drackstin
2014-12-04, 01:35 PM
Hecatomb chuckles at Ullama "Haha, that is much appreciated little one, but i have two wagons and horses to pull them. keep your cart for moving dirt and wood." he turns to Vitou. "This is what i proposes the road for in the first place, if the wagons cant get from the cave to the farmlands, it will be hard to supply each other. i offer anyone help that needs it for help of their own, this is the way the world should work, we have no money in this new "utopia" just skills to offer one another. let us work for a common goal, that being to prosper, a little distance will not hurt this. and thank you Vitou, for offering to help with the road, it will benefit us all, even those who do not want it, for there are many dangers out in the woods."

Hecatomb tends to call most people shorted then him, although mostly women "little one" this is not a term for a race or size of people, he uses it for any humanoid shorted then about 5FT. so please don't be offended, i try to make him out to be like a Santa figure, always golly and in good spirits. so when he says little one its just him agnolaging your PC or NPC in a happy way. sorry it just a quirk he has due to his size and damneder

gr8artist
2014-12-05, 03:54 AM
Several of the colonists begin to get quite vocal when pressed to list the reasons they might choose to live apart from othe colonists. The farmers need land to work, and would prefer to live near their fields to save time and energy. Arasmes and the others who'd favored the mountain stone bemoaned the difficulty in moving heavy slabs or boulders from the southern cliffs to the fork or the river in general. The dwarves dont' want to live near the goblins, and lord Caladrel Thu'us raises a complaint about the Kain brothers and their "meddling experiments." The Greytooths are seriously considering living near the cave to have better access to ore, and to put some space between them and the Blackhammers. Thelian Greenwillow has been arguing nearly nonstop with the other alchemists, Jasper Grinn and Saint Wiles, and Jasper'd jokingly threatened to poison his gruel one morning if he didn't leave them alone.
While most agree that living together in a more tightly-knit community offers a little additional safety, others point out that they'd joined this expedition to get away from the cramped city life and wanted to find a simpler path.
Gradually, the idea of clusters begins to form, with small groups of colonists living in the area of their choosing, alongside others who could offer protection in the case of danger. Should a serious threat arise, the cluster would defend itself en route to a rallying point, most likely the village cluster at the fork, to gather reinforcements.

As more and more additional projects are recommended, Minister Lelan Roy gathered everyone's attention and suggested that they form a list of their top priorities. Others agreed that this was a good plan, but when Minister Roy attempted to enlist the help of Sir Warren Rhaige, the gruff old veteran simply dismissed the notion.
"I'm no longer a general, and I won't take the mantle of leadership again. I aim to live out the rest of my days in solitude, perhaps with a small farm or a flock of beasts." He pulled a flagon from his hip and took a long draw before offhandedly dismissing the conversation, "Carry on..."
A number of suggestions began pouring in, and they were soon arranged according to the colonists' suggestions.
First, the clearing of land for farming, to hopefully be completed before the lentil planting season passed.
Second, the construction of shelter. With the longhouse quickly nearing completion, individual housing was of little concern.
Third, the construction and fabrication of workshops and places to practice professional skills.
Fourth, the harvesting of resources to create new tools and other necessities.
Fifth, the construction of a defensive location, in case of conflict, and of roads to expedite travel.
All other concerns were considered less important than these by most colonists, though a few raised opinions for the need of religious sites, and Lady Bronwick insisted that searching out the other ships was of tantamount importance.

A great number of the colonists side with Vitou, though mending the fractured landscape of the colonists' alliances will take time. The Omenstones take the first step toward harmony, however, as their patron steps forward after the meeting to apologize to Gurgrek.
"My name 's Brahman Omenstone. I know I had not introduced meself when I met ye before. You seem like alright folk, and I wouldn't want anyone holdin' the sins o' my kin o'er my head the way me 'n mine been hangin' your kin's wick'dness o'er you. If'n ya'll be patient, I reckon the missus an' my lil' one'll come 'round an treat ya' right as well." He paused, took a deep breath, and continued while absentmindedly rubbing his knuckles with his thumb, "I had tae kill a lot o' yer kind in thae Shadowcrypt tun'ls 'neath Keenig Hall. It were a bloody nightmare fer years in an' out, wit' a soddin' Hobbie deathmaj bringin' all thae bodies we fell back on their feet. I learnt a lot 'bout droppin' shakers (a fighter's term for undead) durin' that campaign, and I guess I just have a hard time o' lettin' go'a that shiver ev'ry time I see a greenskinned runt."

You're talking to a gnome. She's nowhere near 5' tall.

Drackstin
2014-12-05, 08:53 AM
"i think this list is a good idea, and if each of us are going to split into small groups around the island i would suggest a list for each group since everyone's priorities are different. i will be setting out shortly, anyone who wants to live near the cave or near the river north of the cave may join me on the trip, i will be stopping at the cave first, then i will move north to the river after, the trip should take about 6 hours total. for anyone that is joining me, my plans are to work closely with the group near the cave, i will be clearing the land near the river to make my longhouse, homes for anyone who joins us, farms and animal pens, a barn and warehouse, my workshop that will include a forge, a smelter, and tools for crafting useable by anyone with the skill to do so. i will also add to this for anyone who joins me and would like something else, i will also be building a shrine to lady Arshea for anyone who would like to pray, if need be i could build shrines for other gods for anyone else, we are all free to worship in my eyes. lastly i will be clearing a path from the cave to the river for ease of travel, and will extend this to anywhere its needed after. road will keep us safe and will help us travel to other groups. We all have our skills, so lets use them to the fullest and make this colony grow, i will be returning in one week to report our progress and see if any other group need help." Hecatomb announces to the group, eager to show his determination to make everything workout and show his support to everyone.

I have said it to Trelene before, and she is not a gnome. that's the reason i put it out there.

esorscher
2014-12-05, 09:01 AM
Sam, who has been quiet during this conversation, finally speaks up. He clears his throat and stands from his seated position on the wall, moving into the center of the assembled group. "You know me as a Cleric of Erastil. Old Deadeye is a god of the wilds, but he is also the god of the men and women who live among the wilds. Our community would fall under his domain, and we would be well blessed to follow his teachings. Now, naturally, we are all free to worship whom we will, and a shrine to Arshea is not nearly so concerning to me as a road that cuts through the wilderness when we have a natural waterway to follow. While I admit that a more direct route will save time, it will also disrupt the natural order. I urge you to reconsider. Instead of a road directly from the fork to the cave, and another from the fork to the mouth of the river, and another from the mouth of the river to the cave, let us instead clear a path from the fork, to the mouth of the river, to the cave. The wildlife in the forest will thank us, and Erastil will be pleased. If those are not good enough reasons, consider that such a road would link all three locations where people have settled, building our community together rather than separating us. We could establish our homes and farmlands all along the river, with easy access to water and each other. Furthermore, when we expand up and down the coast, to the farmland and rocky defensible locations, it will be a simple matter to connect those pathways to our existing road."

Sønderjye
2014-12-05, 09:59 AM
Realising that all his carefully worded arguments fall upon deaf ears Simbah sighs surrenderingly and turns his attention to the road debate. Why would we want a road to the mouth. We could simply make a road that follows the river from the cave to your farm and eventually extend it to the shore if needed.

Drackstin
2014-12-05, 10:48 AM
"Samson you must have misunderstood me, that was the plan the whole time, Simbah did want to make a road directly yo the cave, but it is more useful to go along the river with enough room to build between the road and the river, don't you remember the map i showed everyone. As for old deadeye, i"m sure we all walk in his domain and none of us mean any disrespect, but we must think about survival first, is he not also the god of hunting, making a road or trail the size we want would not effect the wildlife in a way more then clearing land for a farm, the road would also be used by animals, if i remember animals such as dear use game trails to move also. we all respect the nature around us, we just would like to make life a little easier." Hecatomb responds to Samson.

gr8artist
2014-12-05, 03:22 PM
As several small discussions begin to sprout up about the exact locations to build roads, or whether roads should even be bothered with at this point, a towering ogre in the back of the room claps his hands once, loudly, to get everyone's attention. "My name Shaug Trollneck. My woman name Moggah Thunderfoot. I don' know what best, but I know what fastest. Build small road cave to river, where Hecatomb and wives live. Build small road follow river, where Sam and family live to fork where everyone live. Build small road from fork to where Hecatomb and wives live. No need road cave to Sam, or cave to sea yet. Small road build fast." He stops talking as his lover Moggah leans in to whisper in his ear. "I mean, short road build fast. Short road not break animal path."
His explanation complete, Shaug sits down with no further word on the subject. He's been a dependable laborer, helping gladly with any task to which he is assigned, but outside of building large buildings from stone, he has no opinions or directives.

Ronnel and Ios share apprehensive glances at the mention of Arshea, but at this time do not voice protest or opinion on the matter.

"Bugger all this talk," cries Saint Wiles from the front of the crowd, "Everyone should just do as they please. Me, I aim to help the holy farmer get some roots in the ground, on account a' I'd like to eat this winter. If you wanna' waste yer time buildin' a road, or a temple, or diggin' a hole, or standin' on yer head, be my guest. But don't come to me askin' for herb or tonic you ain't helped make."
Thelian Greenwillow lets out an angry, indignant huff, "Some fine talk for who should be our head healer. You are an insult to the doctorate, and I cannot fathom why you were placed in a position of authority."
"Watch your filthy tongue, elf, or you'll find it parted from your lips." Jasper spoke in a way that made it unnervingly difficult to tell if he was being serious or not. "Saint's got a better head for his craft and its uses than you'll ever understand."
The Miaras, Ronnel and Ios, immediately sprung to their feet in defense of Ios' husband. A golden light began to flicker around Ronnel's tightly clenched fists, and Jasper responded with a toothy smile and the productions of a short blade from his robes. Thelian protested this "outrage" and the halfling who'd started the conversation merely laughed. Beans, the cook, agreed with Saint's initial argument, but quickly distanced himself as the two factions prepared for a brawl.
Suddenly there was a loud bellowing demand, Sir Warren had stood and immediately commanded attention. "There will be NO fighting during town hall meetings. If you want to pick a fight, do it outside camp."
None of the rabble rousers felt like picking a fight with one of the most feared generals from the King's army, so they all backed down and got quiet, though they still shot hateful glances at one another, and Jasper smiled sadistically as he drew a thumbnail across his neck.

Drackstin
2014-12-05, 04:16 PM
Hecatomb about to drop his hammer on the ground to stop the brawl before it stars is glad to see Sir Warren speak. "Thank you Sir Warren, discussions like this should not bring forth fights. we are all a colony, we must work together or we will fail divided. also Shaug and Moggah thank you for your support, what you speak is true, i also would like to thank you for all the help you have aided in so far. i will be leaving in a moment so debating over all these thing will not get them done, and i do not have a place to call my own yet. so i will ask again, if anyone is willing to help, or is planing on living near the cave or the river just to the north, please join me. with the dwarfs already mining, there will be plenty of stone to work with Shaug, it might benefit you to come along, but that is up to you and Moggah." He then looks at saint and the others that were at each others necks a moment ago. "As for the rest of you, do you really think fighting will solve your problems or patronizing each other for that matter? me and my family plan to clear an area for our farm as soon as he have a place to call our own, the shrines will come later when we have time. survival is the most important right now, and without food and a place to live, none of us can do that. we are all free to do as we please, but working as a community will make us prosper. at that point, i will bid you all farewell. He then walks out and lets those who would join him do so, and the rest continue debating.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-12-05, 06:39 PM
"My goodness. And here I thought we goblins wouldn't feel at home." Gurgrek said snidely as the fight dissolved. "The way tensions boil over into violence so quickly puts me at ease. I was worried I might actually have to teach Bagguba and Bibi how to be civil. But now I see that they'll fit right in. With a smirk Gurgrek turned and gave a small bow to Brahman.

"I appreciate your words. And if it's any consolation, I commend you and your kin for facing the Hobs. Their kind's devotion to fascism is most inspiring for goblin-kin, but is ultimately annoying and detrimental to the agents of progress, such as you and I."

"But on to the matter at hand. I believe this meeting is soon to be adjourned. The farmers will farm, the builders will build, the miners will mine, and anyone without training in those three areas should clear the woods and dig the road to the river fork and soon to be forge, for now. I myself will be there to assist the endeavor, but I shall return to the cave once that is finished to build a more ... permanent, residence. I'll be stopping by the cave with Hectacomb, where my man Yuk-rak and the Un'Drstons are already hard at work gathering the minerals we will no doubt need in the future. They can inform you as to the task that need doing. And And my dear Tukka will be there to help oversee things."

esorscher
2014-12-05, 07:52 PM
Sam calls upon the strength of Erastil and laces his words with honey. (Calm Emotions, domain power, 1/day). "At ease, friends. This is merely a discussion. I misunderstood about the road, and agree that a trail as you describe, two sides of a triangle will be fastest, and--so far as I know Old Deadeye--that Erastil will not view it as obscene. Erastil is also a god of communities, particularly those such as ours--groups cast into the wilderness and forced to make their own safe haven. As Hecatomb says, we must work together if we are to survive."

gr8artist
2014-12-05, 11:44 PM
The trouble seems to dissolve quickly, and most of the colonists seem to be on the same page. There are a few dirty looks by the most outspoken of opponents, but effectively, the arguments have been quelled for now. The crowd dispurses, each returning to their own campsite for the night. The 4th day in the new world was coming to an end, and already tensions were running high. It would bear closer examination in the coming days, but for now, the colony was at peace.

Jasper Grinn flashes a toothy smile at Gurgrek, apparently entertained by his sarcasm and wit. Moggah seemed entertained by it as well, but her lover Shaug did't seem to grasp the nuances of sarcasm. Kasari chuckled lightheartedly, with her ward Keska enjoying the show as well. Chino Merrywind even made it a point to approach Gurgrek afterward, and invite the goblin to a nice dinner at his camp. His son Risco was something of a savant around a brewer's keg, despite the fact that his parents didn't let him drink much. He jokingly assured Gurgrek that the ale would be strong enough to strip the paint from the skin of a Shikaran monk, and told him he and his kin were welcome to a flagon any time they felt so inclined.

Grom Greytooth, with his wife and son, make plans to travel to the cave in the morning, and make their home there. Two unattached loners, Meidrenel Thescian and Jakoben Albarson, decide to settle there as well, though it seems that part of this is out of a desire to get away from the tension and feuds boiling around the main camp.

gr8artist
2014-12-09, 12:05 AM
6th of the Trumpet

Thelian, who'd been in charge of the care and treatment of several colonists who'd been afflicted at the time of arrival, gathers a few of the colonists on the morning of the 6th day.
"I am pleased to announce that those of our colony who'd been ill for these last 5 days are now feeling much better, and have been released from my care as of this morning. Claudia Lionheart has gone to rejoin Hecatomb and his... harem... already. Warrod Brauchs, the one they call 'Thumper' is eagerly awaiting the next journey to the cave so that he can rejoin his cousin Oberick there. He will take with him the drow, Vaice Kaelmorn, who seems to desire a dark crevice in which to work. Andia Grace has been returned to the care of her guardian, Lady Bronwick, and Z'hel Fraust has already inquired as to how he can assist me in my role, though I expected him to flock to the side of mister Grinn who shares his infernal heritage. The lady Gaelenai, a clothier, has been set to work helping with manual labor. Khath Si'gat, the Shikaran, has already returned to shamelessly fauning over lady Lo'kari, the poorly appointed head artisan."

Sønderjye
2014-12-10, 11:41 AM
At the evening of day 6(or 5 if more convinient)
The cave

Mel will gather the cavers and start two debates. in actual time he'll start one first and then continue with the other afterwards but to save time I'll post both now.

"After a throughly search of the beast this I am of the oppinion that we should kill it. Yes it is strong and could serve as a protector but it's too wild, we won't be able to tame it. If we had a female we could breed them and have rear the youth but it might take long before we encounter enother one. And there is the risk of it escaping the cage."

and the next discussion

"The vines in the cage is of great value, we can harvest them on a daily basis and gain good reagents for both alchemical and magical creations, however they whither when you remove the stone around them. I request that places with vines will be left intact, there are a lot of cave and surely you can find other places to find minerals."

Drackstin
2014-12-10, 01:11 PM
Lauren counters Mel's opinion with her own. "I'm sure killing the beast might be the best option for someone that is not in tune with nature as others, but we could still find a use for the beast, as you said maybe we could breed it, but we have not the time of the other animal at the moment. Instead of throw this beast away before knowing how abundant they are on this island, just because we marched into its home and beat it senseless, i propose we keep it, i'm sure we could fin a use for it, and if we can not, then we will find use for its hide and meat. I'm sure my husband, one of the best smiths the Prince had, could build a stronger and bigger cage for this beast for the time being. Iron holds better then wood, and it would seem we have quite a bit of it. we could also keep the cage for it on our land so that why if anything happens, we can handle it away from others. this will also lat anyone who would like to try and tame the best a better chance of doing so. i will forage for the extra food it need so it wont take away from the colony. but lets take a vote, i know my opinion may not be the same as others here at the cave, what say the rest of you?"

When Mel brings up the vines and the information he gives Kassandra becomes intuitive to it, wanting to know more. "so do the vines die when they are removed from the stone or moved away from the garnet? because i have a great idea, that vine in the bottom of the cave is blocking the path right, what if we can some how transport them, maybe make a room in the cave that has a few chunks of garnet in it, or move some in it, then gather as many of these vines as we can and keep them there, we can then drip them into buckets using the method i mentioned before. making a small farm. this might make our lives easier if we don't have to run all over the place, we can also set up a lab in the room too."

Sønderjye
2014-12-10, 02:09 PM
Beast:
Doesn't beasts kill each other? Mel says more so to himself than everyone else

Vines:
It seems that the magic works sort of like a magical trap, meaning that the magic will disappear if it's removed from it's current place. Can we dig around it possibly?

Just to be sure. Does the vines wither if the garnet is removed, if the stone are removed(but the garnets left on the ground) or both?

esorscher
2014-12-11, 08:51 AM
Sam is less concerned about the vines, though their use in magical potions will be a boon to his clergy as well. About the animal, he speaks, "You are ignoring the third option--set the beast free. As you say, you went into its home and took it prisoner. Imagine if a 'superior' being did that to you. The beast has animus, it has a soul. Shayna," he glances at his half-orc daughter, who is nodding, "will take it into the woods and set it free, far from our colony."

Drackstin
2014-12-11, 11:09 AM
Lauren responds to Sam with a drop in her voice you could feel the sadness "i wish we could Sam, but you were not there, this beast is a alpha, and i don't believe it would settle for being set free without trying to take it's home back again. it would need to be kill if we took that course. releasing this beast would put us all in danger, not only the beast itself, but us as well, if you do wish to do this, i will join you, but i would rather try and speak with it first. we have only seen one so far, but we don't know if they are solitary, we don't know how big its territory is, or how many others are out there. if we release it, it may turn on us directly, it may run right back to the caves and attack unprepared colonists, or worse, gather more. as much as i would like to release him, i don't see it as posable, unless we speak with it and get answers from it."

esorscher
2014-12-11, 05:57 PM
Shayna speaks up. "I can prepare a spell that will allow me to communicate with the creature. Please, let us explore that option before we kill it or imprison it further."

Sønderjye
2014-12-11, 06:42 PM
Mel sends Shayna a puzzled look. Your and Hecatombs family have combined more animals imprisoned than there are colonists, why do you have quarel adding this one to the fold?

esorscher
2014-12-11, 08:40 PM
"I do not agree that our farm animals are imprisoned. They are domesticated to serve; it is in their nature. They have been bred for such a purpose. Without man's intervention, their species would not exist--they would be the wild aurochs, the wild ram, the wild stallion. Instead, generation after generation was selected for docility; were we to free them, they would perish in the wild. They are, by definition, domestic." Sam explains. "This cat creature you have captured is entirely the opposite."

Sønderjye
2014-12-12, 01:24 AM
Surely you must realise that the ancestors must have been imprisoned. What we would do by keeping it caged are no different than what our ancestors did to plant the seed that your are now harvesting

esorscher
2014-12-12, 08:54 AM
"Unfortunately, we can not change the sins of our ancestors. We can, however, choose not to repeat their actions."

Drackstin
2014-12-12, 09:07 AM
"Are you two done" Lauren interjects. "Mal if killing it is the only option you can come up with then here take my blade and kill it yourself, if that's not to your liking, let the one's who can actually talk to it make the choice, observation and hypothesis can only get you so far." Mal can see that Lauren is a little heated up over his disregard to let others try something he did not come up with. She throws a dagger at his feet and walks away.

gr8artist
2014-12-12, 01:36 PM
This conversation began at the cave, but I think Sam's input is already quite ingrained in it. Is everyone OK with the idea that a few of the colonists from the mine returned to the fork to have this discussion at the evening meeting before heading back?
If we can agree to such, then the following colonists contribute.

Sønderjye
2014-12-13, 08:14 AM
But you have no quarrels using the sins of your ancestors Mel wonders more so to himself than to Shayna.

Mel looks at the knife and with a raised eyebrown he gives Lauren a look that says "what the hell"

gr8artist
2014-12-13, 09:45 PM
Ok, assuming that the conversation takes place on the evening of the 5th day, then the following colonists are here and can participate.
Yangrit and Oberick Un'drston, Shalan Kessel, Grom and Menissa Greytooth, Khalori Greytooth, Meidrenel Thescian, and Jakoben Albarson.
Bagguba, Bibi, Tukka, and Yuk-Rak
Thrall Demonbane, Master Mel, and Trelene

In order for Shayna Smith (and Walter Littlefoot / Shaira Thu'us) to contribute, this would have had to have happened on the evening of the 4th day. It's too late for that, so Eso, is it possible for you to delay Shayna's departure until the morning of the 6th day? I know it'd mean editing your posts, but it's the most straightforward way to maintain continuity.

Other options include deciding that the conversation took place on evening of the 4th day or morning of the 5th, and just ignoring any conflicting details.
I will assume that the conversation takes place during this time.
Colonists present: Yangrit and Oberick Un'drston, Shalan Kessel, Shaira Thu'us, Bagguba, Bibi, Yuk-Rak, Shayna Smith, Walter Littlefoot, Thrall Demonbane, Master Mel, and Trelene

Shaira glanced about nervously, unsure how valid her opinion might be. "I know the creature's dangerous, so I'm not inclined to let it wander about unchecked. But I can't stand the idea of harming a creature for no reason. Knowing it'd make a decent meal helps, but we've had it in our care for a while now, and it almost feels like a pet... albeit a poorly trained and disobedient one."
There was a silence after she spoke, before Shalan spoke up. "I t'ink we'd outta' kill it. It ain't like to get no friendlier, 'specially if'n we keep it locked up like that. If ya' can find a way ta' know if'n it'd calm down, then that'd be one t'ing. But if'n ya can't speak wit' it, 'den I t'ink we outta' give it the axe."
"Shalan, lad, hold yer soddin' tongue. Yer barely old enough tae wipe yer own bum, ha ha." Oberick, a friendly, portly dwarf chuckled loudly. "Surely wit' a village o' more'n a hundred people, at least one'd like to keep such a pow'rful beast as a pet. Adelae, tha' poor human lass wit' tha half-blood sister, she got herself a panth'r already, I reckon it ain't no stretch fer her ta' train a beast like this."

Seeing the animosity that was beginning to broil up, Shaira speaks again. "Perhaps it'd be best to move the beast to the fork, show the others what we've discovered. It's all speculation at this point, but someone there might have a better idea of what to do with it. Caladrel - I mean, my husband - he says that Sir Warren has a natural aptitude for dealing with violent beasts, though I'm not sure how much of his information is first or second hand, or merely only rumor and speculation. Regardless, I feel that we are too small a group to make such a decision with a creature that we do not fully understand."

When the conversation changes pace, Yangrit again suggests no problem against the vines inherently, but requests that they be out of the way of any mining opportunities. She points out that the original patch of vines weren't in the way or blocking off any corridor or path, but merely a small crevice with another collection of garnets. There were still several other areas that mining could be done without getting in the way of the vines or the alchemists' work, but she asks if there's any way the vines could be planted topside.

esorscher
2014-12-14, 10:58 AM
"They are their sins," Shayna says. "The damage is done. As my father would say, there is no use crying over spilled milk. We accept the world as it is, not as we'd like it to be." Shayna casts Speak With Animals and attempts to communicate with the creature. We are friends. We are not prey. We are not predators. We are brothers. Do you understand? She lowers herself as she does so, making eye contact with the cat creature, and blinks slowly.

gr8artist
2014-12-14, 11:18 AM
The creature in its cage snarls loudly.
"Raggah! Prey! Invader-fool!" It shoots a leery glare at the weapons and tools in the area. "Sa'gath! Fool's-claw! Hunter-killers!" It doesn't seem to understand the concept of 'brother' or 'friend', but growls and snaps when you blink, "Prey! Raggah! Not Ca'vul'ka, not hunter. Not prey. Not tree. Liar! Ca'vul'ka crush bones! Ca'vul'ka drink river of blood!"
The others watch in nervous silence as the beast lunges, pounces, snarls and growls at Shayna.

esorscher
2014-12-14, 11:48 AM
Submit or die, Shayna says, baring her teeth. You choose. She gives the creature ample time to choose.

gr8artist
2014-12-14, 12:44 PM
The creature needs no time to consider. "Ca'vul'ka strong! Raggah weak! Prey weak! Break tree-snare, fight ca'vul'ka! Ca'vul'ka teeth break fool's-claw!" The creature lunges against the wooden timbers of his cage, scratching and hacking at the bars. "Ca'vul'ka strong! Ca'vul'ka crush raggah! River of blood! Raggah drown! Ca'vul'ka eat heart of raggah corpse!"
The creature continues lunging, snarling and trying to break free of its bars. If it had a little more room to move, it might have broken free already.

esorscher
2014-12-14, 01:00 PM
Shayna swiftly draws her bow and puts an arrow between its eyes. "At least we gave it the chance. We can learn much from its corpse." She feels no emotion at the animal's death.

Sønderjye
2014-12-14, 02:06 PM
Mel jumps when Shayna in a fluid motion draws her bow and kills the beast. He certainly wasn't expecting that.

Vines:
I think we might be able to move them but I haven't yet had time to do enough research on the subject to be certain. I'm hessitant in testing because it might ruin an entire patch of vines but will do it if you judge that we don't have enough places to mine otherwise?

gr8artist
2014-12-14, 02:55 PM
"We 'ave space, lad, but I dinnae' want sum'tin sa danj'rous as 'dem vines in de middle o' me cave. I teched 'em ealier, an' dem needles'll gut-cha' like a fish if'n yer not careful. Keep 'em outta' de main entrance, an' I dinnae' have a problem wit' em stayin'. Put 'cha a fence 'round 'em, tae prevent ax'dents." Yangrit idly walked over to the carcass of the creature. She wasn't sad to see it go, and it seemed that the other colonists felt the same way. If such a beast were to be tamed, it would need to be reared from infancy.

Drackstin
2014-12-15, 09:53 AM
Lauren walks over to the beast and slowly pulls the arrow from its head "we gave it a chance, that's what matters here." she pushes its eye lids closed and stands before it. "lets at least make use of such a strong best in any way we can. this was his domain before we showed up" She opens the cage and moves the beast around. "Could anyone help me collect the pelt, meat, claws and fangs, they could be useful for us."

She has a survival of +9 with her hunters tools. so she will try the check, unless someone has a higher plus, then she will aid. if others can aid just add +2 for each.
[roll0]

esorscher
2014-12-15, 09:59 AM
Shayna helps, as well as taking diligent notes in her journal about the animal's physiology.

esorscher
2014-12-18, 08:52 AM
When the idea of a feast is proposed, Samson objects. "Let's wait until we have our first successful harvest. When we have a bounty of food and a self-sufficient food source, a feast would be much more prudent."

Sønderjye
2014-12-18, 08:57 AM
Simbah tentatively agrees with Sam but he's largely indifferent. You have to choose your battles.

gr8artist
2014-12-19, 10:34 AM
Sir Warren concedes, shrugging. The game he and the others have gathered will provide a hearty meal for many colonists, and the others will still be there to discuss plans. Thus, his goal would still be accomplished without taking any additional food from the stores.

Sønderjye
2014-12-19, 10:46 AM
In that casr Simbah tentatively agrees with sir Warren. After realising what he just did he'll remain indifferent for the rest of the debate.

esorscher
2014-12-19, 01:15 PM
"In that case, I have no objection," Samson says (Note that Sam is not participating in the argument). "Although, salting the meat would preserve it in case of emergency. Still, it is your meat, to do with as you will."