PDA

View Full Version : Questionable Content 8: OMG I SHIP IT

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Gaelbert
2014-11-13, 11:28 PM
Welcome to the latest installment of discussion threads for Questionable Content (http://questionablecontent.net/), a M-F "slice of life" comic in which life is defined by coffee, robots, Butts Disease (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2016), and spontaneous metal interludes. (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=666)

You have been warned.

Links To The Past
Questionable Content 1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140480)
Questionable Content 2: Espresso With Extra Scorn (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176418)
Questionable Content 3: Ironically Quite Popular (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194380)
Questionable Content 4: Attack of the 60-Inch AnthroPC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215953)
Questionable Content 5: Suffers Occasional Outbreaks of Butt's Disease (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242665)
Questionable Content 6: Murder Mode (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280941)
Questionable Content 7: Will Work For Makeouts (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?328150-Questionable-Content-7-Will-Work-For-Makeouts)

I really want Marten and Emily's mothers to meet somehow. Maybe they're both stalking their children on the date? Maybe Emily's mom is single and they hit it off?

Thufir
2014-11-14, 09:33 AM
Carried over from last thread:

Even if we ignore Marten and put him out of the picture, the fact still remains that less then a day passed between Dora's conversation with Jim in which she came to a conclusion that she shouldn't be dating anyone at the moment and her hookup with Tai... :shrugs:

No. You're conflating two entirely separate events. The party happened, then at a later date they hung out at Marten and Faye's apartment, which is when the walking home happened.
I just checked via the QC wiki. Dora's date with Jim happened in the 1900s strip range, Dora and Tai got together in the 2200s. A lot happened in between, such as Padma, and Hannelore's dad's birthday party.

eee
2014-11-14, 10:00 AM
"Anticipation. An-tic-i-pa-tion Is making me late. Is keeping me waiting..."

I'm of an age that I can't remember that Carly Simon song without thinking of ketchup. :(

And Claire's eyes are HUGE when she's thinking of messing up her brother.

Traab
2014-11-14, 10:52 AM
I got a bad feeling about this. I think her brother is going to say the wrong thing by mistake and hurt her feelings or something.

Mith
2014-11-14, 11:01 AM
Maybe Emily's mom is single and they hit it off?

Probably not, since I believe Veronica moved in with Jim.

EDIT:

(carried over from last thread)

So, basically, instead of Marten, she now has a girl whose only relationship experience is a bunch of one-night stands with very lax moral and faithfulness (is that even a word?) standard.

It is, but I would have used the word "fidelity" and then phrased it as "standard of morality and fidelity". But what you have written works!

The Glyphstone
2014-11-14, 11:08 AM
Besides, didn't we briefly see Emily's mom and dad during the cabin sleepover arc?

Flickerdart
2014-11-14, 11:08 AM
She may have lax moral standards, but apparently the sex is amazing.

Traab
2014-11-14, 11:35 AM
She may have lax moral standards, but apparently the sex is amazing.

Hey, you try having sex with 6x as many women as a standard monogamous couple would have and not pick up a few skills! :smalltongue:

Gaelbert
2014-11-14, 01:32 PM
Besides, didn't we briefly see Emily's mom and dad during the cabin sleepover arc?

Claire. I meant Claire. This might have been a freudian slip.

Dukkai
2014-11-14, 01:52 PM
No. You're conflating two entirely separate events. The party happened, then at a later date they hung out at Marten and Faye's apartment, which is when the walking home happened.
I just checked via the QC wiki. Dora's date with Jim happened in the 1900s strip range, Dora and Tai got together in the 2200s. A lot happened in between, such as Padma, and Hannelore's dad's birthday party.

Hmm.. Yes, you are right.. it seems that I have got a bit mixed up in the timeline.

oh, well.. Maybe it felt just too soon for me.. I honestly do not know. But, on the other hand, the whole timeline of events in QC is a bit accelerated so it is easy to get carried away.

It is, but I would have used the word "fidelity" and then phrased it as "standard of morality and fidelity". But what you have written works!

yeah, I figured there was another word for it, just couldn't remember the word at that time since English is not my first language.. :D

Flickerdart
2014-11-14, 02:05 PM
yeah, I figured there was another word for it, just couldn't remember the word at that time since English is not my first language.. :D
Just use whatever word it is in your native language. Chances are that English already has - or will in the near future - absorbed it into its quivering mass of stolen vocabulary.

Dukkai
2014-11-14, 07:43 PM
Just use whatever word it is in your native language. Chances are that English already has - or will in the near future - absorbed it into its quivering mass of stolen vocabulary.

haha... not really.. :D

Traab
2014-11-14, 08:10 PM

You say stolen, we say "improved" After all, we managed to wean away the brits obsession with the letter "U" and made our versions far more streamlined and sexy. Your distinctiveness shall be added to our own, prepare to be assimilated, resistance is futile.

Mith
2014-11-14, 09:25 PM
You say you have a problem with the letter U? You don't like the flavour it puts in the written word, eh? :smalltongue:

Flickerdart
2014-11-15, 01:34 AM
You say you have a problem with the letter U? You don't like the flavour it puts in the written word, eh? :smalltongue:
Americans needed to take off all the extra u's from as many words as they could so that they could add pointless w's to words like plough.

Traab
2014-11-15, 02:26 PM
Americans needed to take off all the extra u's from as many words as they could so that they could add pointless w's to words like plough.

Just because you cant pronounce your own words correctly is no reason to get snippy with me!

Mith
2014-11-15, 07:13 PM
Just to clarify, I was more referring to you saying "Brits" who use the U "unnecessarily", when as a Canadian, I also have to deal with the Red Squiggly of Doom when I write my posts. We have been completely independent from Britain for over 30 years now! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriation):smalltongue:

Fawkes
2014-11-15, 08:10 PM

Going from plough to plow removes two unnecessary letters! That W is FAR from pointless!

Flickerdart
2014-11-15, 10:15 PM
Going from plough to plow removes two unnecessary letters! That W is FAR from pointless!
The Y and O in "you" are also pointless, and yet.

Traab
2014-11-16, 10:28 AM

Hey, text speak is still developing, give it time. U wl b surprizd.

Flickerdart
2014-11-16, 11:38 AM
Hey, text speak is still developing, give it time. U wl b surprizd.
I'm glad we agree that American English is the text speak of English. :P

http://asset-6.soup.io/asset/7900/7599_69a5.jpeg

Mith
2014-11-16, 10:03 PM
I wonder from Marigold's wording if she changed her mind about asking Dale to move in with her, or if she was thinking that if Dale does move in, she is still going to have a spare bedroom.

eee
2014-11-16, 10:10 PM
This could be quite interesting. I don't think we've ever seen what an Anthro-PC would regard as 'homey' or comfortable. I wonder what Momo will do...

Yana
2014-11-16, 10:36 PM
I wonder if we're even going to see Angus again. I rather liked him.

Eldan
2014-11-17, 04:56 AM

Nah, the "Y" makes sense. After all, the word "you" obviously has two different sounds in it: "eeee-ooo".

But then, English spelling makes no sense whatsoever and probably never has. Just adopt phonetic spellign already, all the cool languages are doing it!

(Really, it's only English and to a lesser extent French, from those I know.)

SlyGuyMcFly
2014-11-17, 08:10 AM
But then, English spelling makes no sense whatsoever and probably never has. Just adopt phonetic spellign already, all the cool languages are doing it!

Seriously. It would make my job so much easier. Bloody frankenlanguage :smallsigh:

(English teacher in Spain, in case anyone was wondering)

Kato
2014-11-17, 09:14 AM
This could be quite interesting. I don't think we've ever seen what an Anthro-PC would regard as 'homey' or comfortable. I wonder what Momo will do...
Eh, I don't think it will be different from human's... the anthro PCs seem mostly human... some... weird human, but human nonetheless. If we'd get anything really fancy I wouldn't be disappointed but surprised.

so... Marigold has been taking money from Momo for the "present" for the past few months and now says it's okay? Seems at least a little weird to me.

As a German, I agree :smalltongue: Then again, I can only speak of the small subest of languages I know about as well... though this is more or less the reason I much more consider learning Japanese opposed to Chinese.
It's interesting how this thread goes off on tangents sometimes, spending far more information on that than on the actual comic.

Psychonaut
2014-11-17, 09:48 AM

Not to mention that "ough" is the most phonetically ambiguous set of letters in the English language:

/ʌf/ tough
/ɒf~ɔːf/ cough
/aʊ/ drought
/oʊ/ though
/ɔː/ thought
/uː/ through
/ə/ thorough (British pronunciation)
/ʌp/ hiccough (aka "hiccup")
/ɒk/ hough (aka "hock")
/ɒx/ lough (aka "loch")

Mith
2014-11-17, 11:08 AM
so... Marigold has been taking money from Momo for the "present" for the past few months and now says it's okay? Seems at least a little weird to me.

The impression I got was that Momo was going to pay Marigold back lump sum, unless Marigold actually had to take out a loan to buy the chassis. So Marigold hasn't been getting any money from Momo.

Flickerdart
2014-11-17, 12:32 PM
How does Marigold make a living, anyway? I'm sure it was mentioned, I just forgot.

Dorath
2014-11-17, 12:45 PM
How does Marigold make a living, anyway? I'm sure it was mentioned, I just forgot.

Webmaster for her father's site.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-11-17, 02:05 PM
iirc she ia a freelanceweb designer.

Thufir
2014-11-18, 01:39 PM

Beep Boop. (http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2357)

Fawkes
2014-11-18, 02:53 PM
Not to mention that "ough" is the most phonetically ambiguous set of letters in the English language:

/ʌf/ tough
/ɒf~ɔːf/ cough
/aʊ/ drought
/oʊ/ though
/ɔː/ thought
/uː/ through
/ə/ thorough (British pronunciation)
/ʌp/ hiccough (aka "hiccup")
/ɒk/ hough (aka "hock")
/ɒx/ lough (aka "loch")

Exactly! That's why you gotta simplify! English is dumb!

The Fabulous Thunderbirds had it right all along! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcXT1clXc04&t=26s)

I'm glad we agree that American English is the text speak of English. :P

http://needsmorejpeg.com/i/by1q.jpeg

Don't get mad just because we're fixing your dumb language.

John Campbell
2014-11-18, 08:21 PM
Nah, the "Y" makes sense. After all, the word "you" obviously has two different sounds in it: "eeee-ooo".

English spelling actually used to be pretty reasonable. Old English had a few contextual weirdnesses, like how 'g' was pronounced depending on adjacent vowels, but mostly it was pretty consistent. I blame English's current issues on post-William the Bastard introduction of French notions of how spelling and pronunciation should work.

Traab
2014-11-18, 09:02 PM
I figure as long as we dont get into a fight about oxford commas we should be alright.

Mith
2014-11-18, 09:34 PM
I was worried that when Jeph described tonight's comic as "painful" that it would be a stab to the heart. And indeed it was; he ran us through with a steel cold pun.

Traab
2014-11-18, 10:02 PM
I was worried that when Jeph described tonight's comic as "painful" that it would be a stab to the heart. And indeed it was; he ran us through with a steel cold pun.

I just hope that marten doesnt horn in on her territory when it comes to making bad puns.

Mith
2014-11-18, 10:22 PM
Do you think Claire would give a toot if he did?

Yana
2014-11-18, 10:27 PM
I'm sure she'd have as much of a blast as he did.

Eldan
2014-11-19, 03:48 AM
I figure as long as we dont get into a fight about oxford commas we should be alright.

I remember High School English (as a native German speaker). After six years of English in school, someone asked our teacher about comma rules (they are complicated but pretty clear in German). She blinked a few times, shook her head and said "No one knows. They haven't found them yet."

Kato
2014-11-19, 09:37 AM
I remember High School English (as a native German speaker). After six years of English in school, someone asked our teacher about comma rules (they are complicated but pretty clear in German). She blinked a few times, shook her head and said "No one knows. They haven't found them yet."

Hehe, reflects my experience. Then I'll admit after my teacher refused to teach them to us I've more or less stuck to using German rules in English. (Okay, not exactly. But something like that) If it bothers people nobody ever told me.

So, more puns today... I would join in if I wasn't violin-tly against those.

Traab
2014-11-19, 09:41 AM
Hehe, reflects my experience. Then I'll admit after my teacher refused to teach them to us I've more or less stuck to using German rules in English. (Okay, not exactly. But something like that) If it bothers people nobody ever told me.

So, more puns today... I would join in if I wasn't violin-tly against those.

If you dont knock that off I will giave clarinet to use on you.

Cikomyr
2014-11-19, 10:17 AM
How about we revert to more stable and less volatile topic of discussion, like man on transexual amorous relationships?

eee
2014-11-19, 10:33 AM
It's amazing me, how well these two are getting along.

Bets on Claire winding up doing vocals for Marten's band?

Dusk Eclipse
2014-11-19, 10:49 AM
For what its worth, Claire and Marten have always gotten along swimmingly, check some of the earlier strips (around Marten's dad's wedding) and it shows how comfortable they've been with each other since then. Can't recall where did Marten (or we readers for that matter) learnt that Claire was trans though, so I'm not sure if that changed anything in their relationship in any meaningful way.

Nightsbridge
2014-11-19, 12:04 PM
For what its worth, Claire and Marten have always gotten along swimmingly, check some of the earlier strips (around Marten's dad's wedding) and it shows how comfortable they've been with each other since then. Can't recall where did Marten (or we readers for that matter) learnt that Claire was trans though, so I'm not sure if that changed anything in their relationship in any meaningful way.

Here (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2323) you go. This is where we learn that she's trans. It doesn't seem to influence Martin's thinking very much.

Flickerdart
2014-11-19, 12:04 PM
The way I was taught is that you put a comma pretty much everywhere you'd take a natural pause when saying it out loud, as well as before added clauses like this one.

Traab
2014-11-19, 12:30 PM
Here (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2323) you go. This is where we learn that she's trans. It doesn't seem to influence Martin's thinking very much.

Yep, Marten is pure cool about the whole thing. We had a long discussion on why he might act that way and why it makes sense, I think it generally boiled down to, marten has had such a freaking strange life growing up, that trans isnt even a blip on his oddometer. :smallbiggrin: Seriously, his dad is gay, his mom is a fetish model and now a semi retired dominatrix, he has had birthday parties attended by half a burlesque house, many of whom were cross dressing guys, its hard to find a way to make him uncomfortable along those lines anymore.

Flickerdart
2014-11-19, 02:44 PM
Yep, Marten is pure cool about the whole thing. We had a long discussion on why he might act that way and why it makes sense, I think it generally boiled down to, marten has had such a freaking strange life growing up, that trans isnt even a blip on his oddometer. :smallbiggrin: Seriously, his dad is gay, his mom is a fetish model and now a semi retired dominatrix, he has had birthday parties attended by half a burlesque house, many of whom were cross dressing guys, its hard to find a way to make him uncomfortable along those lines anymore.
Also his roommate is a pervert sex robot.

Cikomyr
2014-11-19, 05:09 PM
Darn

Archivw binge, and i came across this

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2454

CLAIRE IS A PHONY

Mith
2014-11-19, 07:59 PM
She could be meaning that she wants to hear of an album where that is the case, not that she listens to metal.

Cikomyr
2014-11-19, 10:37 PM
That is one rupturing ball of hormones on the verge of critical mass explosion

Mith
2014-11-19, 10:39 PM
The Ice cream is for her to cool off.

Kato
2014-11-20, 04:51 AM
She could be meaning that she wants to hear of an album where that is the case, not that she listens to metal.

Well, she doesn't say she wants a "metal" album. Could be all kinds of music about vikings frming and stuff...

Oh Claire, give in to your dirty fantasies. It's totally natural.

Yana
2014-11-20, 07:22 AM
The Ice cream is for her to cool off.

Claire is an AnthroPC? It all makes sense now!

Flickerdart
2014-11-20, 11:46 AM
Well, she doesn't say she wants a "metal" album. Could be all kinds of music about vikings frming and stuff...
"Vikings farming" is probably the domain of various folk musics.

Radar
2014-11-20, 02:54 PM
Also his roommate is a pervert sex robot.
But even Pintesize has standrads: he objected to the idea of Steve and Marten making out to Zardoz. I would archive binge for that strip, but I'm way too tired.

As for the viking farmer, I always liked the dwarven farmer (http://www.elfwood.com/u/andersson2/image/6988c340-26ee-11e4-b4db-0dd96224e40a/dwarven-farmer-of-war), which seems similar - beard, armour and fasciantion with axes.

Discus-Spinner
2014-11-20, 05:11 PM
If they're farming, they're not on viking, they're just Norsemen.

tomandtish
2014-11-20, 07:24 PM

Seriously. It would make my job so much easier. Bloody frankenlanguage :smallsigh:

(English teacher in Spain, in case anyone was wondering)

Just remember:

"Huked awn fawniks werked fur mi".

Mith
2014-11-20, 11:39 PM
I am enjoying these Clariten comics.

Fawkes
2014-11-21, 12:52 AM
I am enjoying these Clariten comics.

I'm not. All this happiness is sickening. I require misery!

Discus-Spinner
2014-11-21, 03:36 AM
I dunno about misery, but I wouldn't mind some jokes.

Shogo
2014-11-21, 04:14 AM
I think today's update is where their interactions went from cute to, "Whelp, they've clearly had their souls consumed and replaced by an otherworldly abomination. Putting them out of their misery is the only way."

I dunno . . . "Ice cream kisses! Yay!" . . . Something about it set the dial from cute to just plain weird for me.

Cantalooping
2014-11-21, 04:53 AM
Nothing against some cuteness and/or breather strips, but I'm a little bit bored by the last strips. I mean, it's nice to see their first date go so well, but... I dunno, something's missing? I just don't think the "Clairiten Cuteness" is enough to carry several strips in a row.

Eldan
2014-11-21, 05:26 AM
Yeah. It feels very repetitive.

And I still feel he doesn't act like I've come to expect of Marten.

Mith
2014-11-21, 08:05 AM
I guess that's fair. For me, it doesn't seem too bad, considering that Dora and Tai's first date also took quite a few strips as well.

Cikomyr
2014-11-21, 08:37 AM
Dont worry. Sven is going to come, manage to woo Faye while in a moment of weakness, and megadrama will strike us like lightning hit my rod.

Traab
2014-11-21, 10:17 AM
Dont worry. Sven is going to come, manage to woo Faye while in a moment of weakness, and megadrama will strike us like lightning hit my rod.

No, it will be worse, he will just show up and talk to faye at the coffee shop, (remember, he has NO IDEA that dora has cut him off due to her mental issues) no wooing at all, then dora arrives and FLIPS THE &%^$&%$*(^%*%#$#$ MOTHER &%$^$% DONKEY ^%$$#$& IN MY #&^#(&( OUT! We get hella drama where dora is the bad guy because she is just unloading everything that has ever ticked her off about sven down to and including the time when she was 6 and he pulled her pigtails as a joke. She will over react so bad it actually makes faye takes SVEN'S side simply due to the overwhelming insanity, harsh words will be instantly thrown her way, and maybe even actions that will take months irl to straighten out. Much misery will be spread in all directions because of this.

Radar
2014-11-21, 10:42 AM
If we are talking about worst case scenarios, there's still the possibility of someone finaly using the sword at Coffee of Doom. That or Angus pulling the trigger due to being dumped - Faye sees it obviously.

Starbuck_II
2014-11-21, 11:49 AM
I dunno about misery, but I wouldn't mind some jokes.

Agreed. I can here for laughter. This is insanity/cuteness. I want a refund :smalltongue:

Kato
2014-11-22, 10:00 PM
Geez, you people... you named the threat for the cuteness, and now you complain :smalltongue:
But I'll agree, I'm looking forward to something else happening soon. I'm sure the date will only take another month or so :smallbiggrin:

eee
2014-11-24, 10:33 AM
There, there, Claire, lots of adult kids live in the family home these days. It's the times, and not necessarily a sign of lameness.

The interesting thing is, Claire said she lived with her mother, not her parents. Have we seen anything to indicate Mr. Augustus is still on the scene?

Flickerdart
2014-11-24, 10:48 AM
The interesting thing is, Claire said she lived with her mother, not her parents. Have we seen anything to indicate Mr. Augustus is still on the scene?
Quick, who do we have left that's old and can be paired up with her? Mr. Fox is with Marten's mom now, right?

eee
2014-11-24, 12:16 PM
Quick, who do we have left that's old and can be paired up with her? Mr. Fox is with Marten's mom now, right?

Hannelore's dad.

Clinton would have seizures. :smallbiggrin:

Dusk Eclipse
2014-11-24, 12:42 PM
Mmmm Claire's dad might be spoken for, she said her parents divorced because her dad cheated on her mom way back when she first knew about Dora and Tai dating. I would link, but I'm posting from my phone and it is a PITA to navigate the QC archive and try to link.

Ibrinar
2014-11-24, 01:30 PM
There, there, Claire, lots of adult kids live in the family home these days. It's the times, and not necessarily a sign of lameness.

Hmm I don't think we have heard anything about him. Though living with her mother can just mean they split up. (Which is the case for me. Lived elsewhere for a while but my roommate moved and I decided I prefer living here. For one I prefer suburbs over cities and I vastly prefer houses with gardens over apartments.
Though I always found the "you should move out as soon as possible" thing a bit silly anyway.)

Cikomyr
2014-11-24, 05:16 PM
Claire griefed Tai over being a "homewrecker" of Dora/Marten since her parents divorced on account of her dad cheating.

I just referenced 6 people in a single sentence.

IthilanorStPete
2014-11-24, 05:55 PM
Mmmm Claire's dad might be spoken for, she said her parents divorced because her dad cheated on her mom way back when she first knew about Dora and Tai dating. I would link, but I'm posting from my phone and it is a PITA to navigate the QC archive and try to link.

Here (http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2371) you go; right before the Two Dads' marriage arc.

Coidzor
2014-11-24, 10:55 PM
I like that convenient explanation for why her mom was around to answer the phone in the first place.

Hannelore's dad.

Clinton would have seizures. :smallbiggrin:

Or be tragically lost in a space accident when Station realized who he was. So, y'know, win-win, right?

eee
2014-11-25, 08:55 AM
Even Marten is confused about how well he acted and how good this date went.

It's destiny. Or sinister forces are at work.

Cikomyr
2014-11-26, 07:49 AM
Ah, Claire is one of those people

Hardly a surprise, to be fair

eee
2014-11-26, 08:31 AM
Mothers can say so much with silence... :smallbiggrin:

Mith
2014-11-28, 12:02 AM
That animal cartoon is not a Sonic ripoff at all...:smalltongue:

Traab
2014-11-28, 09:19 AM
That animal cartoon is not a Sonic ripoff at all...:smalltongue:

Certainly not! The main character is not a hedgehog and his name doesnt appear to be sonic! Therefore its totally different.

John Campbell
2014-11-28, 08:56 PM
My first thought was that Jeph got a guest strip from Gonterman, and for some reason, perhaps a psychotic break from drawing too much cutesie, decided to run it.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, count yourself lucky.

Fawkes
2014-11-29, 11:33 AM
My first thought was that Jeph got a guest strip from Gonterman, and for some reason, perhaps a psychotic break from drawing too much cutesie, decided to run it.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, count yourself lucky.

Looks more like a Sonichu to me.

Mith
2014-11-30, 11:50 PM
So is it assumed that Faye has gotten her alcohol consumption under control? That just came to mind after some of the other arcs where Faye just crashes and burns.

Kato
2014-12-01, 05:45 AM
So is it assumed that Faye has gotten her alcohol consumption under control? That just came to mind after some of the other arcs where Faye just crashes and burns.
What are you talking about? Drowning your worries in alcohol is totally normal and socially accepted. Same as it is customary to celebrate every achievement with alcohol. Or how every social gathering requires the consumption of alcohol. ... What?

I wonder if Pintsize has some kind of adapter to make his... offer reality. On the other hand, maybe I don't want to know.

eee
2014-12-01, 09:44 AM
I wonder if Pintsize has some kind of adapter to make his... offer reality. On the other hand, maybe I don't want to know.

The Singing Dildo!!! :smallbiggrin:

Talderas
2014-12-02, 07:11 AM
That seems like a perfectly rational response to discovering foreign undergarments in your laundry.

eee
2014-12-02, 09:34 AM
That seems like a perfectly rational response to discovering foreign undergarments in your laundry.

Well, rational for Hanners, anyway. But I cannot imagine how such a thing could come about. I seriously doubt Hannelore would use a public or even apartment house washer/dryer for her clothing. I doubt it's Marigold's underwear, and I don't see how that would get in Hanner's laundry anyway. If Faye and Angus were doing their reality bending making out stuff anymore it might be Faye's... There's still a bra of hers unaccounted for, after all; panties too might have been teleported in the height of passion. Maybe the mischievous house spirit that put the condom wrapper on May's face is branching out to other members of the gang. :(

Marnath
2014-12-02, 02:51 PM
Well, rational for Hanners, anyway. But I cannot imagine how such a thing could come about. I seriously doubt Hannelore would use a public or even apartment house washer/dryer for her clothing. I doubt it's Marigold's underwear, and I don't see how that would get in Hanner's laundry anyway. If Faye and Angus were doing their reality bending making out stuff anymore it might be Faye's... There's still a bra of hers unaccounted for, after all; panties too might have been teleported in the height of passion. Maybe the mischievous house spirit that put the condom wrapper on May's face is branching out to other members of the gang. :(

They definitely seem like something Faye would wear.

Kato
2014-12-03, 05:02 AM
What eee said... I wouldn't mind but then I'm pretty... pragmatic(?) about these things. I know a lot of people would react similar to hanners.

They definitely seem like something Faye would wear.
I thought so, too, first. But then it seems like something she'd only have acquired recently after having more self-confidence.

Anyway, another person is at fault, so... Hanners will probably have her revenge. (I'm scared)

Traab
2014-12-03, 10:28 AM
I didnt even think about that. They live in an apartment complex so likely have a shard laundromat dowstairs. Much simpler than say, marigold sleeping over one night and leaving her panties behind. That kind of stuff happens. Hell, it happens in my house! Every now and then I will bring up my laundry and find say, a washcloth in the basket that was missed when the dryer was emptied out before me.

Mith
2014-12-03, 11:28 AM
Anyway, another person is at fault, so... Hanners will probably have her revenge. (I'm scared)

Hanners gonna cut that b***h (while wearing a Hazmat suit)

Flickerdart
2014-12-03, 11:34 AM
Could this be how Jeph introduces yet another character? Is this just another step in his insidious plan to eventually have every single person in the town join the comic's permanent cast?

RebelRogue
2014-12-03, 04:29 PM
I thought the same. And I hope it's not. QC doesn't really need more characters at this point.

Eric Tolle
2014-12-04, 07:20 AM
Well, that explains why Hannalore is using a public laundromat, poor kid. I remember a number of times when I was using the communal apartment complex laundry, of finding someone else's clothes in my laundry. While it wasn't really horrifying, it did merit a quick trip back to the laundry to put the clothes on the "left behind" pile.

Which isn't nearly as embarrassing as some of the other things that have occurred while dong laundry.

Eldan
2014-12-04, 07:58 AM
dong laundry.

I will pretend that was on purpose. :smallbiggrin:

eee
2014-12-04, 08:35 AM
I am amazed Hanners WOULD use a communal laundry room. She must fill the washing machine with bleach and let it soak before washing her clothes.

Technically I'm not sure "Juicy" is a nemesis...

Cikomyr
2014-12-04, 08:40 AM
Well, that explains why Hannalore is using a public laundromat, poor kid. I remember a number of times when I was using the communal apartment complex laundry, of finding someone else's clothes in my laundry. While it wasn't really horrifying, it did merit a quick trip back to the laundry to put the clothes on the "left behind" pile.

Which isn't nearly as embarrassing as some of the other things that have occurred while dong laundry.

I always check if there is something in the washet or dryer before putting my clothes.

And if someone has the gall to put something in MY laundry batch, i just keep/throw them in the garbage.

eee
2014-12-04, 11:05 PM
Set him on fire, Claire. It's extreme, but the best way to deal with annoying little brothers.

Thufir
2014-12-05, 06:07 AM
Set him on fire, Claire. It's extreme, but the best way to deal with annoying little brothers.

As a sometimes-annoying younger brother myself, I object to this generalisation (Relatively reasonable in the case of Clinton though).

eee
2014-12-05, 10:03 AM
As a sometimes-annoying younger brother myself, I object to this generalisation (Relatively reasonable in the case of Clinton though).

I too belong to the school of annoying younger brothers. And I speak from experience when I say, sometimes fire is the only reasonable response. :smallbiggrin:

Thank God older brothers and sisters and parents tend to hesitate to reach for the matches...

Eldan
2014-12-05, 10:28 AM
I'm an annoying older brother. The solution is to laugh at them and everything they do.

Holy_Knight
2014-12-05, 12:47 PM
Are you guys kidding? When you're a younger brother, it's your solemn duty to annoy older siblings! It's like in the younger brother charter or something.

Ravens_cry
2014-12-07, 05:30 AM
*reads the backlog after not reading several months*
SQUEEEEE! ! !
*does the happy shipper dance*
Now I only need Hanners to hook up with Momo and all my shipping dreams will come true.:redface:

Starbuck_II
2014-12-07, 11:47 AM
*reads the backlog after not reading several months*
SQUEEEEE! ! !
*does the happy shipper dance*
Now I only need Hanners to hook up with Momo and all my shipping dreams will come true.:redface:

Wait, you ship them?
I curious why...?

Marnath
2014-12-07, 12:57 PM
Wait, you ship them?
I curious why...?

It might have to do with the fact that Momo's casing is hypo-allergenic and machine washable. Also, she's one of the few people with whom Hanners has ever initiated physical contact, when she was making the fake skin squeak with her finger.

Ravens_cry
2014-12-08, 12:35 AM
It might have to do with the fact that Momo's casing is hypo-allergenic and machine washable. Also, she's one of the few people with whom Hanners has ever initiated physical contact, when she was making the fake skin squeak with her finger.
And, even when Momo's chassis wasn't clean, she was able to calm down and withstand a hug once she remembered that Momo was a robot (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2597).

Loreweaver15
2014-12-08, 09:09 AM
Wow. Claire is really making Marten care about himself, the way he acts and looks; he wants to be nice and presentable for her. That's a really good sign.

Discus-Spinner
2014-12-08, 09:38 AM
Wow. Claire is really making Marten care about himself, the way he acts and looks; he wants to be nice and presentable for her. That's a really good sign.
Now watch his friends coming on with the "Oh man, she's changing you" line (or desperately biting it back).

Traab
2014-12-08, 01:20 PM
Now watch his friends coming on with the "Oh man, she's changing you" line (or desperately biting it back).

Steve is likely to be the only one who would say something like that, unless he is changing in a bad way somehow. Personally, im more in favor of that, "I really liked you marten, but you changed so much." Style future breakup where it turns out claire doesnt like the new cleaner cut marten as much as the original.

Of course, just for fun, my vote goes with, "Marten changes so much and gets so into claire they end up getting married and move away, leaving the comic forever." And now the rest of the comic can focus on dora and faye, with steve showing up once in awhile to wonder where marten is.

stsasser
2014-12-08, 10:12 PM
Welp. Dora showed up, pissed-off, (as usual,) but in Alice Grove.

Didn't she use the exact same line about Sven? :smallsigh:

Fawkes
2014-12-08, 11:37 PM
oh no gabby got eaten by an allosaurus

Kato
2014-12-09, 05:34 AM

Huh? Catching up with the story for once I'm more confused with what looks like horny alien Nightcrawler in his teen years...

oh no gabby got eaten by an allosaurus
Oh no! But at least we know what happened to her. (Some kind of me wonders why it was gabby who didn't make the cut but... oh, well...)

So, Clinton and Emily. I'm sure that will be great.

Yana
2014-12-09, 09:56 AM
Some kind of me wonders why it was gabby who didn't make the cut but... oh, well...

I believe it was something along the lines of "devoid of personality in comparison to the bundle of insanity that is Emily."

Mith
2014-12-09, 09:59 PM
Just Curious, what's with the beat down on Clinton from some of the forumites at times? I do have a sense of humour, but sometimes people are bit harsh on him at times, even considering teasing humour. I'm not saying he's this amazing misunderstood person, but it's more that I find it odd that Emily is generally appreciated, whereas Clinton, a generally more sane and reasonable person is not? I'm just curious at some reasons.

Traab
2014-12-09, 10:15 PM
Just Curious, what's with the beat down on Clinton from some of the forumites at times? I do have a sense of humour, but sometimes people are bit harsh on him at times, even considering teasing humour. I'm not saying he's this amazing misunderstood person, but it's more that I find it odd that Emily is generally appreciated, whereas Clinton, a generally more sane and reasonable person is not? I'm just curious at some reasons.

His initial role in the comic was super creepy stalker fanboy of hannerlore and her dad. And I DO mean super creepy. Dude was just disturbing. He isnt so bad anymore, but first impressions are a female dog to overcome.

Mith
2014-12-09, 10:26 PM
I got that the first impressions were bad, but I figured that since he calmed down quite a bit that it wouldn't be so bad. Granted, I came across the comics around the time of Emily's lake house party, so he had calmed down a lot by then. I was wondering why there were people saying that he should get pushed out an airlock. It seemed a bit excessive to me.

Anyways, thanks for the clarification!

John Campbell
2014-12-09, 11:11 PM
I'm irritated that he's still hanging around with the main cast after a stalkery introduction that made Momo's threat to taze him entirely reasonable and justifiable. I get that Claire, and now Marten, have to put up with him, but the rest of the cast, and particularly Hannelore, should be issuing restraining orders, not lunch invitations.

Traab
2014-12-09, 11:13 PM
I'm irritated that he's still hanging around with the main cast after a stalkery introduction that made Momo's threat to taze him entirely reasonable and justifiable. I get that Claire, and now Marten, have to put up with him, but the rest of the cast, and particularly Hannelore, should be issuing restraining orders, not lunch invitations.

Too be fair, several members of the crew had creepy intros. Iirc hannerlore and marten hooked up because she had been stalking him to try and be friends, he was also tazered by accident and faye walked in to find her straddling him on the couch. If he is willing to calm down around hannerlore and not be a pita they would probably give him some ragging but see if he can fit in.

eee
2014-12-09, 11:24 PM
Clinton and Emily could be a match made in Heaven. Or a disaster so epic it alters reality.

Or both, at the same time. :(

Eldan
2014-12-10, 03:57 AM
I don't remember him doing anything all that bad, really. Wasn't he just excited to meet her and a bit clumsy about it?

(Note: I have no social skills whatsoever and will never pick up on people's faux pas's. Especially not in written form. Also, my memory is terrible.)

Kato
2014-12-10, 05:43 AM
I agree with Mith, I don't get the immense hate for Clinton. Also because fof what Traab said.

Too be fair, several members of the crew had creepy intros. Iirc hannerlore and marten hooked up because she had been stalking him to try and be friends, he was also tazered by accident and faye walked in to find her straddling him on the couch.

Not to say he has no flaws but even among people who like to dwell on characters' flaws... Oh well, I like him well enough. Or don't hate him, anyway. First impression or not.

"Be yourself. But not too much yourself." Always a great compliment... :smalltongue:

Corneel
2014-12-10, 07:45 AM

Question about Alice Grove: are the images larger in size than those of Questionable content? 'cause I can't get the page images to load (apart from one or two exceptions).

stsasser
2014-12-10, 07:54 AM
Question about Alice Grove: are the images larger in size than those of Questionable content? 'cause I can't get the page images to load (apart from one or two exceptions).

It's on Tumblr, which sometimes seems to make Firefox (or addons) balk. Other than that, don' know.

Corneel
2014-12-10, 08:54 AM
It's on Tumblr, which sometimes seems to make Firefox (or addons) balk. Other than that, don' know.
I've got the same problem with IE, so probably the problem is on my side then.

IthilanorStPete
2014-12-10, 12:01 PM
I don't remember him doing anything all that bad, really. Wasn't he just excited to meet her and a bit clumsy about it?

(Note: I have no social skills whatsoever and will never pick up on people's faux pas's. Especially not in written form. Also, my memory is terrible.)

He started by trying to infringe on her personal space (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1900), got overly intrusive (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1902), then showed up at her workplace and took her picture without asking permission (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1908). That's all really creepy, well beyond being a bit clumsy. The only ameliorating factor is that it's a comedy and everyone's a little bit horrible (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ComedicSociopathy) - Faye and Marten literally tied him to a chair (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1909) in response - but it was still a creepy first impression.

Eldan
2014-12-10, 01:30 PM
That's creepy? :smallconfused: He stood at least a step away from here at all those times. I mean, he can't know she has all those psychological problems.

Traab
2014-12-10, 01:44 PM
That's creepy? :smallconfused: He stood at least a step away from here at all those times. I mean, he can't know she has all those psychological problems.

The initial outburst is less creepy and more fanboyish, stalking her to find where she works and taking a picture of her without permission to post online? Yeah, thats freaking creepy.

IthilanorStPete
2014-12-10, 01:54 PM
The initial outburst is less creepy and more fanboyish, stalking her to find where she works and taking a picture of her without permission to post online? Yeah, thats freaking creepy.

Also worth noting that taking the picture would have been creepy even if he didn't intend to post it online; it's still a violation of privacy.

Traab
2014-12-10, 01:57 PM
Also worth noting that taking the picture would have been creepy even if he didn't intend to post it online; it's still a violation of privacy.

Exactly, it was just icing on the creep cake. But he seems to have gotten himself under control as he didnt spend time stalking her after getting pimp slapped by his own robotic hand so maybe he can recover from that. Unless, god forbid, hannerlore's dad comes down for a visit. Im pretty sure clinton would squee with such a high frequency not just his head, but every skull in a 3 block radius would explode.

Fawkes
2014-12-10, 03:02 PM
Faye and Marten literally tied him to a chair (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1909) in response - but it was still a creepy first impression.

And threatened to murder him with a broadsword!

Frankly, the chair comic says everything that needs to be said about why they're okay having him around. He realizes he screwed up and apologizes, and Hanners forgives him. Problem over.

eee
2014-12-10, 11:52 PM
GO FOR IT, CLINTON!! Anyone who might have been only a few keystrokes away from summoning Cthulhu is someone you HAVE to know!!!

EDIT: Although now that I think about it, Clinton and Emily do already know each other, they met at the party for the group at her parent's lake house...

tomandtish
2014-12-11, 12:31 AM
And threatened to murder him with a broadsword!

Frankly, the chair comic says everything that needs to be said about why they're okay having him around. He realizes he screwed up and apologizes, and Hanners forgives him. Problem over.

Exactly. He became an overly excited fanboy, reacted inappropriately, and backed off quickly once someone explained he was being a douche. Most celebs have to go through much worse on a regular basis.

And I'd point out that (of the two of them) Hanners wins the creepy contest hands down. This is someone who has taken a sample of Martin's DNA without his knowledge. If we're judging this, let's judge it equally. Because Clinton with Hanners' picture? Uncomfortable. Hanners with Martin's DNA? Potentially terrifying given the resources she apparently has access to.

Cikomyr
2014-12-11, 08:10 AM
So this is an Alternate Reality when Emily has been stopped before summoning creating Windows Vista?

mythmonster2
2014-12-12, 03:34 AM
Well, I suppose I can only hope this arc doesn't last too long (I recognize that many people like Emily, but she's just too out there for me.)

Kato
2014-12-12, 04:42 AM
Well, I suppose I can only hope this arc doesn't last too long (I recognize that many people like Emily, but she's just too out there for me.)

I kind of feel the same.. But she CAN be entertaining, she just isn't always. This update... kind of too... Emily for me.

eee
2014-12-12, 08:04 AM
IS he doing well?

(I hadn't realized how much of a height difference there was between Emily and Clinton. Hopefully he doesn't get hung up about it.)

Eldan
2014-12-12, 08:16 AM
If that isn't just an act, I'm really starting to wonder how she can function on her own in society.

Starbuck_II
2014-12-12, 12:12 PM

Emily's the Luna Lovegood archetype from Harry Potter.
Almost everyone loved Luna.

Spojaz
2014-12-12, 01:17 PM
If that isn't just an act, I'm really starting to wonder how she can function on her own in society.

Easily fascinated by simple things =/= cannot do my chores. I mean her. Her chores.

Luzahn
2014-12-12, 02:23 PM

My first thought is that this is some sort of name memorizing/recall ritual for her. I'm expecting her to snap out of it once she's done next page and go on like nothing happened.

Odd, but reasoned and not debilitating. It seems like a pretty Emily thing to do.

Ibrinar
2014-12-13, 12:47 PM
Everyone is missing the obvious.
a)Eldritch runes on her laptop=> User of dark magic
b) In some magic systems where names are important, you have to speak them in the right way to use them.
a+b)She is trying to find the right pronunciation so that she can transfer his soul in his robot hand, because she watched too much Addams family.

I might have made a small logic leap.

Cikomyr
2014-12-14, 10:50 PM
Well. Do we know if Mrs. Chatham is hiring?

Emily is prime candidate for her Mad Scientist R&D department.

Luzahn
2014-12-14, 11:27 PM
My first thought is that this is some sort of name memorizing/recall ritual for her. I'm expecting her to snap out of it once she's done next page and go on like nothing happened.

Odd, but reasoned and not debilitating. It seems like a pretty Emily thing to do.

Ok nope I was wrong she's just crazy completely crazy. :smalleek:

Well. Do we know if Mrs. Chatham is hiring?

Emily is prime candidate for her Mad Scientist R&D department.

I would personally go with Mr. Elliot's marvelous space station. I assume the satellite isn't subject to US laws, so no governmental parent-murder.

Unfortunately either would mean we'd be deprived of Emily-ness, and I don't want to live in that world.

Kato
2014-12-15, 05:17 AM
Everyone is missing the obvious.
a)Eldritch runes on her laptop=> User of dark magic
b) In some magic systems where names are important, you have to speak them in the right way to use them.
a+b)She is trying to find the right pronunciation so that she can transfer his soul in his robot hand, because she watched too much Addams family.

I might have made a small logic leap.

Nope, seems entirely legit.

I... can't even understand what Emily was going for there. Are you suggesting all satellites are sentient or was she also trying to make them sentient? I'm not sure what the weirder idea is..

Traab
2014-12-15, 08:48 AM

I... can't even understand what Emily was going for there. Are you suggesting all satellites are sentient or was she also trying to make them sentient? I'm not sure what the weirder idea is..

Either this went way past the point of silly for me into disturbing, or she accidentally contacted the space station and got into trouble for befriending the ai there.

eee
2014-12-15, 12:30 PM
You know, given that the government DID have to nuke Emily's program from orbit, she may be telling the truth here.

(I'm waiting for the camera to pan over to a watching Marten and Claire, with the latter commenting "This is going a LOT better than his dates normally do...")

Landis963
2014-12-15, 02:05 PM
You know, given that the government DID have to nuke Emily's program from orbit, she may be telling the truth here.

(I'm waiting for the camera to pan over to a watching Marten and Claire, with the latter commenting "This is going a LOT better than his dates normally do...")

I see your comedic pan and raise you an inexplicable box of popcorn, happily shared between the two while they watch the show.

Starbuck_II
2014-12-15, 05:56 PM

Are you suggesting they aren't sentient?

Poppycock, by golly, they were always sentient. :smallbiggrin:

eee
2014-12-15, 11:18 PM
I don't know if I should claim Moxana points for the new strip or not. And if I do claim them, what do I do with them????

But I'm glad to see Clinton and Emily seem to be... well, still engaging in SOME form of communication. :smallconfused:

SaintRidley
2014-12-16, 12:45 AM
Well, this isn't all that different from the kind of communication that goes on in married life. They're doing pretty well already.

Cikomyr
2014-12-16, 08:05 AM
Well, this isn't all that different from the kind of communication that goes on in married life. They're doing pretty well already.

... Well, "interpretive dance" is certainly a fancy way of talking about horizontal activities.

Corneel
2014-12-16, 10:51 AM
... Well, "interpretive dance" is certainly a fancy way of talking about horizontal activities.

As someone wittier than me once said: dancing is the vertical expression of a horizontal desire legalized by music.

(*George Bernard Shaw, Robert Frost and/or Oscar Wilde).

Eldan
2014-12-16, 11:14 AM
Of course Satellites are sentient in this world. (http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1973)

Kato
2014-12-17, 05:11 AM
It's a bit frightening how Clinton reminds me of myself :smalltongue:

eee
2014-12-17, 10:00 AM
Go for it, Clinton! Just hang there!

God knows how Emily's going to react to this. This could set new standards for unexpected behavior.

pasko77
2014-12-17, 03:11 PM
i expect something going horribly wrong in 3, 2, 1....
like Emily declaring to Marten cause she does not know he just got engaged.

Flickerdart
2014-12-17, 03:23 PM
Wait, when did Marten get engaged?

pasko77
2014-12-17, 03:37 PM
Wait, when did Marten get engaged?

Maybe engaged is the wrong term, blame my poor english knowledge.
I mean that Marten and Claire are a couple now.

Talderas
2014-12-17, 04:55 PM

Back when your parents or even grandparents were dating as teenagers they would call this "Going steady."

eee
2014-12-17, 09:57 PM
Yes, the last panel IS a very cute Claire face; but I kind of also like the middle one with the tongue sticking out... :smallbiggrin:

Flickerdart
2014-12-17, 10:10 PM
"Engaged" is only for marriage. I'm actually not sure what the non-old-timey word for this would be.

Traab
2014-12-17, 10:12 PM
"Engaged" is only for marriage. I'm actually not sure what the non-old-timey word for this would be.

Dating. The non old timey word is dating. They are dating, or going out.

Eldan
2014-12-18, 03:43 AM
There should be a level between "going on a date" and "married". Or several, actually. We have them in German.

The Glyphstone
2014-12-18, 03:48 AM
German has a word for everything. Including 'the German language tendency to have a word for everything'. There isa word for that in German, I'm sure.

Eldan
2014-12-18, 04:01 AM
Honestly, the German tendency to have a word for everything is overstated. Yes, they are technically words. But they are just made by sticking other words together. You can do the same in English, you just put a space between each word. Plus, most of those words that are commonly thrown around in those English articles as "German has a word for everything" words are quite rare, unusual, new or just made up to sound silly.

"Apfelbaum" is one a word in German. In English "apple tree" is two words. Oh my god, English has no word for a tree that has apples growing on it! Those silly English! They don't have the vocabulary to make any meaningful sentences about anything!

Coidzor
2014-12-18, 04:41 AM
I believe it's something like...

Going on a single date.

Dating irregularly.

Going steady [archaic?]

----Serious Relationship threshold---

???[picking out furniture together]

Engaged

About to get married

----Marriage Rites---

Newlyweds

Married[the plateau after newlywed bliss wears off]

Affairs-ville

Recrimination City

---Divorce Proceedings---

Divorce Town: Population: You

pasko77
2014-12-18, 06:38 AM
I believe it's something like...

Lol, thanks for the clarifications :)

(also, i've just been proven wrong.)

Traab
2014-12-18, 10:28 AM
There should be a level between "going on a date" and "married". Or several, actually. We have them in German.

There is, they talk about going steady, a "serious" relationship, living together, engaged (or affianced.) All those are in between "Hey want to go to a movie some time" and "Do you take this man as your lawfully wedded husband?"

Mobius Twist
2014-12-18, 11:21 AM
I feel like between "buying furniture" and "engaged" there could be a period of "cohabitation" as well. I've been in mine for nearly ten years and it's been swell.

Then again, legal traditions in the US tend to lean toward "common-law marriage" at that point.

Dorath
2014-12-18, 01:22 PM

The old timey term is courting.

Flickerdart
2014-12-18, 01:54 PM
Eh, that's not quite the same thing - there's a difference in commitment between dating and actually being in a relationship.

SaintRidley
2014-12-19, 02:54 AM
Have you considered frogs today?

Eldan
2014-12-19, 04:02 AM
As a matter of fact, I have. Also spider, scorpions, wombats and newts, as far as I recall. Oh, and pufferfish. It's onyl morning, there will be more later.

eee
2014-12-19, 11:44 AM
If she can consider frogs, then of course she can consider Clinton. :smallbiggrin:

Although it appears she was confused by his approach...

Starbuck_II
2014-12-19, 03:00 PM
Eh, that's not quite the same thing - there's a difference in commitment between dating and actually being in a relationship.

Maybe the word is courting? They used to use that word.

Gnoman
2014-12-20, 06:31 AM
I can't put my finger on it, but these Emily-centric strips really highlight something that's been bugging me since she was introduced. She looks wrong, somehow. I'm not sure if it's the proportions of her head, or the angles in her face, but she's somehow subtly out-of-style for the strip.

Starbuck_II
2014-12-20, 12:24 PM
I can't put my finger on it, but these Emily-centric strips really highlight something that's been bugging me since she was introduced. She looks wrong, somehow. I'm not sure if it's the proportions of her head, or the angles in her face, but she's somehow subtly out-of-style for the strip.

She's created out of non-Euclidean dimensions. So she, of course, will seem wrong. :smallbiggrin:

eee
2014-12-22, 08:04 AM
Ah, feel the LUV!!!

IthilanorStPete
2014-12-22, 08:49 AM
No Randy? :smallfrown:

Traab
2014-12-22, 10:43 AM
No Randy? :smallfrown:

Or Shebly!

IthilanorStPete
2014-12-22, 01:26 PM
Or Shebly!

I know! How can we promote Questionbubble Continent without Shebly?!

Traab
2014-12-22, 06:22 PM
I know! How can we promote Questionbubble Continent without Shebly?!

Quickly! Someone summon the Shame Orb to guilt him into doing it!

eee
2014-12-22, 10:21 PM
These two seem pretty determined. And really bad shots. I wonder if they've chugged down too much non-non-alcoholic eggnog to shoot straight?

eee
2014-12-25, 09:35 PM
At least they're enjoying themselves. Not.

eee
2014-12-30, 11:21 PM
Uh-oh. If Faye's started drinking heavily again...

Discus-Spinner
2014-12-31, 02:33 AM
Adding shots to coffee may not count as "heavily". Heck, some of the alcohol will evaporate.

But who adds nice whisky to coffee? If it's nice, it tastes nice on its own account; you don't want to swamp it with coffee flavour. Frikkin' barbarians.

Morquard
2014-12-31, 05:23 AM
Is it me or does Faye look like she lost 30 pounds since the last time we saw her?

stsasser
2014-12-31, 08:04 AM
Adding shots to coffee may not count as "heavily". Heck, some of the alcohol will evaporate.

But who adds nice whisky to coffee? If it's nice, it tastes nice on its own account; you don't want to swamp it with coffee flavour. Frikkin' barbarians.

Glenfartin may be a single-malt, but it's not all that good.

Kato
2014-12-31, 08:55 AM

Well, I'm neither a coffee nor a whiskey enthusiast (well, not an anything enthusiast when it comes to foods, I guess) but I think it is common to mix proper ingredients to get a real good composition. Including Irish Coffee. Or whatever the result would be. Then again, putting good whiskey in bad coffee (or actually vice versa) seems like it's a waste of either.

Though, you might be right on the "getting wasted" bit... but then this is not really anything new for Faye, so I'm not sure.

Discus-Spinner
2014-12-31, 01:06 PM
A lot depends whether "good" actually means "really good" or just "not crap". You use good steak in a steak and kidney pie, but you probably don't use prime Wagyu...

Really good single malt deserves to be appreciated in its own right. Irish coffee merely calls for a not-actually-disgusting blended.

eee
2015-01-01, 08:44 PM
I wonder if the April "F*ck Off" is going to be collective, or if I'll do something really spectacular and the President will be moved to comment. I have to say, it would be a SINGULAR honor to be insulted vulgarly by the leader of the Free World.

Kato
2015-01-02, 05:29 AM
I wonder if the April "F*ck Off" is going to be collective, or if I'll do something really spectacular and the President will be moved to comment. I have to say, it would be a SINGULAR honor to be insulted vulgarly by the leader of the Free World.

I'll... just assume you're using that phrase ironically.
D'Oh, Jeph removed the Yellingbird comic? But now I don't know what to expect each month and how to prepare against it... dang it.

So, Faye DOES take the bad way to solve her problems... yikes :smalleek: Godd thing she already is in therapy.

eee
2015-01-02, 10:46 AM
And she IS drinking heavily again. Oh dear. But since she bothered to talk to Dora about it, I assume she's trying to get an authority figure to tell her to stop...

RE the Yelling Bird comic: Oh poo, it IS gone. I wonder why. Was Yelling Bird (gasp) CENSORED???

Shogo
2015-01-02, 10:52 AM
*shrugs* Still can't feel sorry for Faye. Not least of which because I saw something much more interesting to comment on in this very thread.

Alcohol that tastes nice of its own account? What devilry and witchcraft is this? I find myself forced to accuse you of tomfoolery if you expect me to believe that.

I've never once encountered an alcoholic beverage that tastes good on its own. In fact, I need it to be mixed with something just to tolerate it. (Although I wouldn't mind giving Mead a try.)

Please. Enlighten me. Describe to me these mystical alcohols.

Flickerdart
2015-01-02, 11:09 AM
Alcohol that tastes nice of its own account? What devilry and witchcraft is this? I find myself forced to accuse you of tomfoolery if you expect me to believe that.

I've never once encountered an alcoholic beverage that tastes good on its own. In fact, I need it to be mixed with something just to tolerate it. (Although I wouldn't mind giving Mead a try.)

I used to be like you. Then I took a Trappist ale to the tastebuds.

Anyhow, here's a list of alcohols you should try:

Hard cider: Generally very similar to soft cider except for a slight edge. I was spoiled by a great craft cider place in Pittsburgh - Arsenal Cider House - that has a sweetness range like wines (from sweet to bone dry), usually what you'll find on the shelf is sweet or semi-sweet.
Mead: There are a lot of different things calling themselves mead - wine sweetened with honey is the most common and also the least good. Get your mead from a proper meadery - if your state allows shipping alcohol, you can just order it from their website. Or you can make your own - mead was the first alcoholic beverage for a reason, and that reason was that it's hella easy. Arsenal periodically has meads on tap. If you live close, I 100% recommend the drive up.
Wheat beer: Predominantly German (weissbier) and Belgian (witbier), wheat beer is lighter and more palatable than bitter IPAs, robust stouts, or pisswater lager. Expect notes of banana and cloves in abundance. Blue Moon tries to be this and fails miserably; it shouldn't be hard to find a Hofbrau or Weihenstephaner bottle.
Sour ale: This is an oddball style of beer that won't be served everywhere, with a distinct sour taste. In fact, it almost doesn't taste like beer at all.
Bock/doppelbock: Essentially a strong lager. Troegenator is a very good example.
Belgian pale ale: A sweeter take on pale ales (American or Imperial Pale Ales are NOT the same thing!). Leffe Blonde is a common option that's very palatable, if not super exciting.

For the beers, the best thing to do would be ordering a flight at a pub. A flight is 4-6 small glasses of different beers, essentially a sampler that lets you try a bunch of stuff without committing to any particular pint, though many bars will simply let you get a sample of something if you're considering whether or not to order it.

Fawkes
2015-01-02, 01:10 PM
I'll... just assume you're using that phrase ironically.

In case you're not familiar with that expression... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_World#.22Leader_of_the_Free_World.22)

Ibrinar
2015-01-02, 02:30 PM
*shrugs* Still can't feel sorry for Faye. Not least of which because I saw something much more interesting to comment on in this very thread.

Since I don't particularly like alcohol either my two scents: The
mead I tried really was quite tolerable compared to most other things. Still not something I would drink because of it's taste but I don't have to force myself to drink it.
There is a big range for wine and beer though and I don't know much of it.
While traveling through a wine growing area I did drink some wine I didn't find bad, probably on account of high sweetness and not much of the disgusting taste components.(Hmm I have trouble finding the correct translation for Frühlese, anybody here that knows?)
And I tried a fruit lambic a while ago (st louis kriek lambic) and it was actually better than mead. I might willingly drink it at parties if I could get it as cheaply as normal beer. Only the aftertaste had the taste components I find unpleasant and it wasn't strong. Though I guess that might count as mixed.

Flickerdart
2015-01-02, 02:52 PM
Yeah, lambics are pretty un-beery, but they're pretty rare and unreasonably expensive.

Coidzor
2015-01-02, 04:24 PM
Yeah, lambics are pretty un-beery, but they're pretty rare and unreasonably expensive.

They're rather good though, I think because they've all got some angle on craftsmanship which is the reason they still exist rather than having been driven to extinction by mass-marketed "pilsner."

And I really, really miss party supply stores the size of grocery stores with all kinds of spirits that one can't normally find in liquor stores and have to know about to order online if you can even secure shipping. Small liquor stores are just... depressing and chintzy-feeling after that wonderful experience of being able to actually see an entire section devoted to lambics and ciders.

I suppose that's all the more reason to start homebrewing though, so I can get to the point of being able to produce my own lambic.

Discus-Spinner
2015-01-02, 05:48 PM
Faye's definition of "good stuff" now turns out to be "stupidly potent", so the point is moot here, but regarding actual good whisky; the flavours have a depth and complexity that probably exceed anything else for sheer interest value except good wines and the best restaurant cooking. They're like the most sophisticated classical music; they're not really meant to be simple, appreciating them properly involves getting your senses attuned, and sure, maybe not everyone will ever get them. But even a beginner (which I myself am, really) can sometimes take a sip and go "wow", and anyone with an open mind and a full set of working senses should be able see that there's something going on.

In other words, Claire's reactions in the comic were actually somewhat realistic.

Good single malts aren't usually sweet, though. Going to them and expecting lots of sugar is like going to Bach and expecting bubblegum pop. And sometimes, well, some things just don't work for some people. I'm sure that I'll never get my head around the island malts that have a distinct taste of iodine...

Coidzor
2015-01-02, 06:25 PM
Good single malts aren't usually sweet, though. Going to them and expecting lots of sugar is like going to Bach and expecting bubblegum pop. And sometimes, well, some things just don't work for some people. I'm sure that I'll never get my head around the island malts that have a distinct taste of iodine...

Yeah, alcohol is not candy, and one should stop and re-examine things if that's the aesthetic one is approaching things from.

There are many distinct flavors and qualities exhibited by different alcoholic beverages, to the point where thinking that they all taste the same means there's something wrong with either the size and/or nature of the sample or the person doing the sampling has some underlying issue that prevents them from experiencing a reality that is akin to most when it comes to flavors.

Ibrinar
2015-01-02, 07:19 PM
Who has said they taste the same?
(Though it doesn't particularly matters whether something has many subtle taste components, if you can't stand the overall taste of it. Take beer as said something like a fruit lambic is tolerable but even with more common variations people claim there are significant differences, however I usually find beer disgusting which tends to overshadow any smaller variations.)

eee
2015-01-05, 09:10 AM
Tai is really pretty together. I hope she and Dora can stay the same: Together.

And life with Emily continues to be... interesting. She should have kept some of those condoms for her date with Clinton. So they could blow them up and twist them into animal shapes. That's probably her speed...

golentan
2015-01-05, 09:17 AM
Judging by the expression on Claire's face in the last panel, she may go play hide and seek with Marten.

Kato
2015-01-05, 10:33 AM
Judging by the expression on Claire's face in the last panel, she may go play hide and seek with Marten.

I... think they said they wanted to take things slow? We'll see how fast that means.

golentan
2015-01-05, 10:44 AM
I... think they said they wanted to take things slow? We'll see how fast that means.

Nope, they agreed to take things as they come. "Slow" was not mentioned.

Eldan
2015-01-05, 10:45 AM
I think that's her facial expression while she's talking. Not her reaction to the other two statements.

golentan
2015-01-05, 10:52 AM
I think that's her facial expression while she's talking. Not her reaction to the other two statements.

Her speech bubble wasn't present when I first checked the update. I now feel cheated. :smalltongue:

Eldan
2015-01-05, 06:59 PM
That's a terrible idea there, Tai. People might get, like, fluids on the books.

Kato
2015-01-06, 10:56 AM
That's a terrible idea there, Tai. People might get, like, fluids on the books.

Yeah... a true book lover wouldn't want to party or even fornicate in a library... Well, not normally anyway. But then Tai iirc isn't that much of a book lover but has the job due to convenience. I wonder what kind of people would want to risk getting the books dirty, though.

Gaelbert
2015-01-06, 12:47 PM
Yeah... a true book lover wouldn't want to party or even fornicate in a library... Well, not normally anyway. But then Tai iirc isn't that much of a book lover but has the job due to convenience. I wonder what kind of people would want to risk getting the books dirty, though.

At a college library? Pretty much everyone.

eee
2015-01-06, 01:28 PM
Emily's 'Easter Egg' hunt now makes a lot of sense...

Well, sort of.

Eldan
2015-01-06, 05:15 PM
At a college library? Pretty much everyone.

I really wonder why people like that even go to college. Luckily, at least around here, they usually drop out after the first semester when they fail 3/4 of their exams. Drinking and parties are for high school.

golentan
2015-01-06, 07:31 PM
Books are sexy. I'm not saying risk fluids on the books, but surely there's an armchair in the library for people to sit and read that would service... um... servicing.

I have fantasies about sexy librarians, okay?!

Landis963
2015-01-06, 08:09 PM
I have fantasies about sexy librarians, okay?!

Remember, the librarians are for reference only. :smalltongue:

golentan
2015-01-06, 09:07 PM

They're in the library. Am I not allowed to check them out, run my fingers along their spines, and leaf through the contents of their coverings until I find the climax (of the story)?

Coidzor
2015-01-06, 09:11 PM
I have learned far more than I ever wanted to know about your sex lives, that you can envision any real possibility of ruining the books with sexual fluids without deliberately doing so.

It's just. It's really not that hard, guys. :smallconfused: Especially if one is using condoms.

Traab
2015-01-06, 09:44 PM
Im more worried about paper cuts in bad bad places.

Eldan
2015-01-07, 03:05 AM
Honestly, I was primarily thinking about drinks being spilt on books.

dps
2015-01-07, 03:12 AM
At the college I attended, the library had little privacy booths that were soundproofed so that students who wanted to avoid even the minimal distractions that were usually present in the library had a study place where they could do so. They were tiny--basically just big enough for a desk and a chair--but that was still big enough that people sometimes made use of them for, shall we say, other purposes. :)

And there was no requirement to take any books into a booth with you, so no reason any fluids involved would ever be anywhere near a book.

Kato
2015-01-07, 07:47 AM
Hmmmmm... sexy librarians... :smallredface:

Also, as Eldan also said, there are many ways, starting from spilt drinks, sweat, in more extreme cases also the contents of stomachs that can desecrate books if you party in a library. Also, there a re dangers of shelves falling over if they are used for... things.

Anyway, at least Faye does prefer (poor) ompany over drinking alone. That's not great but better than nothing.

SaintRidley
2015-01-07, 10:43 AM
. Drinking and parties are for high school.
And grad school.

Traab
2015-01-07, 11:38 AM
I think jeph realized he was having too much niceness. Time for faye to drag it all down with drunken bad actions. Im thinking throwing herself at sven, saying really over the line bad crap in a drunken rage to everyone, and in general just making things as miserable as possible.

Talderas
2015-01-07, 03:52 PM
I have learned far more than I ever wanted to know about your sex lives, that you can envision any real possibility of ruining the books with sexual fluids without deliberately doing so.

It's just. It's really not that hard, guys. :smallconfused: Especially if one is using condoms.

It sounds like the information about intercourse and sex was entirely derived from the movie Scary Movie.

golentan
2015-01-07, 04:09 PM
It sounds like the information about intercourse and sex was entirely derived from the movie Scary Movie.

I get very sweaty at times, and would not want to be in a position where I might sweat all over books. Sheets dampen on contact, books might be permanently wrinkled like that time my favorite novel was caught in the rain with me and dried all squiggly! Except presumably less so. But still. Books must be protected.

But I also really wanna bang in a library. Responsibly.

Mobius Twist
2015-01-07, 04:39 PM
I think jeph realized he was having too much niceness. Time for faye to drag it all down with drunken bad actions. Im thinking throwing herself at sven, saying really over the line bad crap in a drunken rage to everyone, and in general just making things as miserable as possible.

This week on a very special Blossom: The Intervention.

Faye has had a consistent trouble with her high-functioning alcoholism, so a return to form given certain destabilizing life events isn't unusual or unexpected. One might say that at this point the story writes itself, but that would be cruel to Jeph.

Coidzor
2015-01-07, 05:24 PM
I mean, yes, there are people who would want to bang on top of a huge reference book that's opened up or on a pile of books, but, that's really not the standard interpretation of library sex, insofar as there is a standard interpretation.

:smallconfused:

Hmmmmm... sexy librarians... :smallredface:

Indeed!

Also, as Eldan also said, there are many ways, starting from spilt drinks, sweat, in more extreme cases also the contents of stomachs that can desecrate books if you party in a library. Also, there a re dangers of shelves falling over if they are used for... things.

Well, yeah. Partying is a bit different from just banging.

Still, there's a lot of places most libraries would have which would make for better rave rooms than the stacks themselves anyway. Or at least have them segregated off from the drinking area. So there's ways it could be less terrible, but, well, this is Tai we're talking about, so who knows.

Anyway, at least Faye does prefer (poor) ompany over drinking alone. That's not great but better than nothing.

I dunno, I think Pint Size is a Bad Idea Bear, so he'll probably make things worse in some way because that's what he does. By existing.

Alternatively, pouring booze into him may break him and require Faye to actually do something about that rather than continue drinking until she experiences liver failure or something.

Traab
2015-01-07, 05:29 PM
This week on a very special Blossom: The Intervention.

Faye has had a consistent trouble with her high-functioning alcoholism, so a return to form given certain destabilizing life events isn't unusual or unexpected. One might say that at this point the story writes itself, but that would be cruel to Jeph.

Thats true, im not saying its out of character, or even out of the narrative, im just saying it seems like he is getting ready to swing well away from marten and claire happy times straight into drunken bad times reef.

Thufir
2015-01-07, 08:42 PM
I dunno, I think Pint Size is a Bad Idea Bear, so he'll probably make things worse in some way because that's what he does. By existing.

Alternatively, pouring booze into him may break him and require Faye to actually do something about that rather than continue drinking until she experiences liver failure or something.

Honestly, Pintsize has depths of surprisingly actually caring about people despite appearances, so I wouldn't be surprised if he suggested Faye share the booze with him so there'd be less for her and she wouldn't get quite as blitzed.

golentan
2015-01-07, 09:18 PM
Well, Marten is in the lead and is armed for whatever Claire might envision doing in the future.

I wonder how emily keeps track of who's winning... Maybe Marten has a majority as well as plurality of the missing condoms?

Eldan
2015-01-08, 07:53 AM
Honestly, Pintsize has depths of surprisingly actually caring about people despite appearances, so I wouldn't be surprised if he suggested Faye share the booze with him so there'd be less for her and she wouldn't get quite as blitzed.

He was originally Marten's AI companion, like Momo is for Marigold. He has to have at least some empathy somewhere, well-hidden.

Kato
2015-01-08, 10:11 AM
Not to dispute Pintsize having actually some good in him, but the "I drink with you so you have less to drink" is really only applicable in the "immediate alcohol poisoning" thing and not in the "treating your problems with alcohol regard". :smallfrown:

Well, Marten is in the lead and is armed for whatever Claire might envision doing in the future.

I wonder how emily keeps track of who's winning... Maybe Marten has a majority as well as plurality of the missing condoms?
It is Claire. Clearly she has no idea who is in the lead but just talks nonsense :smalltongue: Or she has cameras hidden all around the library. Or simpler hacked into the surveillance cameras. Given her known skills...

He was originally Marten's AI companion, like Momo is for Marigold. He has to have at least some empathy somewhere, well-hidden.
Unless it got lost in some firmware update or something... is Pintsize a Mac? :smalltongue:

Eldan
2015-01-08, 10:26 AM
Winslow looks a lot more like a mac.

Discus-Spinner
2015-01-08, 01:55 PM
It is Claire.
Emily, actually.

Mobius Twist
2015-01-08, 04:30 PM
Anthro-PC form factors (the outer casing) seems interchangeable, right down to the amount of compute power they possess, military-grade lasers notwithstanding.

As far as the AI operating systems, because of the gestalt nature of the true AI in this universe (we put pieces together and they made AI, we don't know why) I doubt there's a lot of variety there, either. The factors that make different AI personalities aren't well-defined yet, but sure seem like they would be as complex as the factors for human personality variance (i.e.: a mix of environment and starting conditions).

Mith
2015-01-09, 01:00 AM
A change of topic to Alice Grove here (unless someone has started a thread for it, in which case sorry for posting in the wrong spot), but the description that someone made of Alice Grove as "sci-fi Discworld" rings so true to me, since my first impression of Alice was basically a young Granny Weatherwax.

Kato
2015-01-09, 08:03 AM
Emily, actually.
Gosh, what's wrong with my brain sometimes? :smallannoyed:

Also: Poor Pintsize, bound by the shackles of his morality...

A change of topic to Alice Grove here (unless someone has started a thread for it, in which case sorry for posting in the wrong spot), but the description that someone made of Alice Grove as "sci-fi Discworld" rings so true to me, since my first impression of Alice was basically a young Granny Weatherwax.

Eh, it's really not been that Discworldy for me yet... But I guess Alice has something of Granny, if only being very poweful and a bit of a douche.
But... the story so far doesn't really catch my attention. And I hope we're not supposed to like the girl who tried to mass murder people as a way of introduction.

Morph Bark
2015-01-09, 08:05 PM
Huh. Hadna marked this thread yet. Best do it now! This stuff at the library is going well.

tomandtish
2015-01-10, 11:41 PM

Libraries are for research, aren't they? The librarians are just assisting me with research. It's always more fun studying with someone else than studying alone....

golentan
2015-01-10, 11:44 PM
Gosh, what's wrong with my brain sometimes? :smallannoyed:

Also: Poor Pintsize, bound by the shackles of his morality...

I used a wrong name the other day and people mocked me for it. There's nothing wrong with your brain, just sometimes wires cross, and it's not cool to mock someone for it unless it's a constant thing where it's clearly not a matter of ability but rather apathy to fix it.

Also, I thought pintsize's morality simply consisted of the belief that no orifice should go unfilled in art if not in real life.

dps
2015-01-11, 01:59 PM
I used a wrong name the other day and people mocked me for it. There's nothing wrong with your brain, just sometimes wires cross, and it's not cool to mock someone for it unless it's a constant thing where it's clearly not a matter of ability but rather apathy to fix it.

I feel exactly the opposite. If it's just an occasional thing (and it does happen to all of us occasionally), then being mocked for it is just friendly ribbing. If someone does it constantly, then there is something wrong, and they need to get medical help, not be mocked.

Morquard
2015-01-12, 03:30 PM

Since we talk about Alice Grove too, does anybody know what happened to Ardent's tail? Jan 5 update, it's just a stump. Dec 4 was the last time it was seen, on Dec 22, next time we saw Ardent his tail wasn't there...

Did Jeff just forgot about it, and did the stump thing to retroactively fix it?

Kato
2015-01-12, 05:20 PM
Since we talk about Alice Grove too, does anybody know what happened to Ardent's tail? Jan 5 update, it's just a stump. Dec 4 was the last time it was seen, on Dec 22, next time we saw Ardent his tail wasn't there...

Did Jeff just forgot about it, and did the stump thing to retroactively fix it?

You can see it in the Dec 29 update, too, but yeah, Jeph either is not paying a lot of attention to it or there s something weird going on... the stump indicated he doesn't just forget about but...?

I don't want to know what is going on in the discussion about the human anus on Wikipedia... I do know Marbear has some of the weirdest dreams I have ever seen.

golentan
2015-01-13, 12:26 AM
I feel exactly the opposite. If it's just an occasional thing (and it does happen to all of us occasionally), then being mocked for it is just friendly ribbing. If someone does it constantly, then there is something wrong, and they need to get medical help, not be mocked.

Like I said, if it's a matter of ability (as in the brain literally can't keep track of names) that's also not a matter for mocking. If someone constantly screws up and just doesn't care, I feel some gentle mockery is appropriate.

SaintRidley
2015-01-13, 01:24 AM
The wikipedia human anus talk page is hilarious. Largely a bunch of arguing over whether it's appropriate for the article to have a photograph of an anus at all, and then people arguing whether it's appropriate for there to be two pictures if it's appropriate to have one.

I may have gotten bored last night and read the page.