PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Critique and Ideas for a first time 5-20 Gestalt build,Theme: Grappling Blast Warlock

sage20500
2014-11-14, 04:08 AM
So my friends and I are getting ready to start a Gestalt campaign and this is my first time trying to come up with a build using the rules. I've been wanting to make a warlock character for awhile now, so I decided to go ahead and do it for this campaign, and since its a gestalt campaign I've also wanted to try using a non humanoid race since I won't be penalized by racial HD.

House rules for this campaign are as follows: You gain a feat at 1 and every even level afterwards. Every level that is divisible by 4 increase 2 stats by +1. Tome of Battle Classes are counted as a caster level class for the purpose of not being able to gestalt two caster classes. The game will be high powered, so upon character creation we rolled 5 dice and kept the best 3, assigning scores as we saw fit.

The party is as follows: First player is going to gestalt a Artificer 20/Rogue 20 Warforged who will be focusing on wand slinging. Second player is a Half Dragon Half Elf Spirit Lion Barbarian 1, Fighter 16/Warblade 10, Eternal Blade 10 (The player is wanting to emulate a Final Fantasy Dragoon, so she'll be using a great spear with charging leap attack shenanigans.)

For my character I'm wanting to build a lock down grappling tank that can get the most out of the Grappling Blast feat I'm taking. Since we start at level 5 for my race I'm playing as an Awakened Magebred Wolf, since I have the option of reaching a permanent large size easily and Wolves have Trip as an Ex Ability. For stats I rolled are as follows. 18, 18, 16, 16, 13, 11. (Upon being awakened, Int was rerolled and became 12.) I'm using the Magic Blooded Template as well as the Magebred Template (+4 Strength, Thick Skinned, and Improved Natural Attack as my options)

So current stats at level 5 where we are starting before any items have been purchased: 25 Strength, 20 Dex, 24 Con, 12 Int, 13 Wis, 20 Cha. (I got +3 to Cha after being awakened, and my level 4 ability increase went to Strength and Cha). Current Build i'm looking at is as follows: Any suggestions to improve how to make it better or more effective would be welcomed. Current AC at level 5 is 26, with a Touch AC of 20 and a Flatfooted AC of 21.

Level 1: Wolf 1/Warlock 1, (Feat: Nymph's Kiss, Improved Natural Attack, Track, Weapon Focus: Bite)

Level 2: Wolf 2/Warlock 2, (Feat: Snatch)

Level 3: Magical Beast 1/Warlock 3

Level 4: Magical Beast 2/Warlock 4 (Feat: Surrogate Spellcasting) +1 Str and Cha

Level 5: Battledancer 1/Warlock 5 (Feat: Improved Unarmed Strike)

Level 6: Thug 1(Rogue Variant)/Warlock 6, (Feat: Grappling Blast and Improved Grapple)

Level 7: Paladin of Freedom 1/Warlock 7

Level 8: Paladin of Freedom 2/Warlock 8 (Feat: Possibly Earths Embrace?) +1 Str and Cha

Level 9: Thug 2/Warlock 9 (Feat: Intimidating Strike)

Level 10: Binder 1/Hellfire Warlock 1, (Bind Naberius, Feat: Improved Trip)

Level 11: Wolf 3/Hellfire Warlock 2

Level 12: Wolf 4/Hellfire Warlock 3 (Size increase's to large, Feat: Maximise Spell Like Ability: Eldritch Blast) +1 Str and Cha

Level 13: Fighter 1/Uncanny Trickster 1 (Feat: Power Attack)

Level 14: Fighter 2/Uncanny Trickster 2-HellFire Warlock (Feat: Power Lunge, Quicken Spell Like Ability: Eldritch Blast)

Level 15: Barbarian 1/Uncanny Trickster 3-Hellfire Warlock

Level 16: Cyran Avenger 1/Warlock 10 (Feat: Martial Study: Shadow Stride) +1 Str and Cha

Level 17: Cyran Avenger 2/Warlock 11

Level 18 Cyran Avenger 3/Warlock 12 (Feat: Martial Study: Stalker in the Night)

Level 19 Cyran Avenger 4/Warlock 13

Level 20 Cyran Avenger 5/ Warlock 14 (Feat: Martial Study: Shadow Blink) +1 Str and Cha

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

Thats pretty much everything I thought to come up with, at the end of 20 levels I have a BaB of 19 and my Warlock Caster Level is 19, with 10d6 of Hellfire added to Eldritch Blast, as well as 5d6 if I use Avenging Strike. My original build included taking Vow of Poverty but since Player 1 decided upon doing Artificer 20, coming up with equipment made for a Large Wolf is no longer an issue anymore. Equipment wise aside from 4 items of +4 or +6 Str, Dex, Con, and Cha and maybe some plus Int there's nothing else I can currently think my character would be able to use. Someone once mentioned to me that there was a mouth weapon that could technically be made for wolf's to allow their bite attacks to be enchanted but I can't currently find out what that might be. Feat wise after level 10 I kind of couldn't figure out what to get that could further improve the character's focus, the last 3 Martial Study Feats are pretty much only there because I like the Shadowhand Teleport Maneuvers. The levels in Cyran Avenger are mainly there for getting Avenging Strike to deal extra damage on Eldritch Blast since I couldn't think of anything else to add for those levels, and there's no guarantee I could find a Legacy Item to do Legacy Champion Shenanigans.

Invocation wise all I know for sure is that I'm getting Fell Flight, Chilling Tentacles, Shadow Walk, Walk Unseen, Beguiling Influence, and Brimstone Blast. Other suggestions are always welcome. Party wise for my roll during fights I'm the main tank that pin's down the biggest threats and shocks them into oblivion for fights, for social situations I'm the lead Intimidating guy and the secondary party face for Bluff and Diplomacy. I'm also the lead person for gather information and knowledge: local and arcane it looks like.

So that's it in a nutshell, any ideas or critiques will be welcomed.

sage20500
2014-11-14, 06:57 AM
So random question just in case I'm not applying this right. When an animal is awakened, the two HD they gain, are they gained as a Magical Beast HD or are they gained as animal HD and then the animals type is changed to Magical Beast? Also if the HD gained are as animal HD, would this character already be starting off as size large at level 5, or would I still need to advance 2 more levels later on at some point as a wolf to get the size increase?

sage20500
2014-11-14, 02:08 PM
Also when it comes to equipment for non humanoid characters, theoretically am I still able to have up to 12 magic Items "equipped" at any given time, or do I have less slots available, and if so what would those be?