PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder: Spell Selection Guide for 3rd Party Spells?

Jane_Smith
2014-11-14, 05:07 AM
I have found quite a few guides for classes for pathfinder, but almost all only deal with core/advanced classes and options like archtypes/traits/favored class options, etc.

Has anyone went threw the pathfinder SRD and made a half-decent guide to any of the 3rd party material, specifically spells? I have searched, but have found no luck. I would vastly appreciate the help.

Reason: Building a sorceress, the dm has approved any content of the pathfinder srd if i pass it threw him first, so ive been dabbling threw the 3rd party spells. I have been eyeing several 3rd party spells, listed below;

Canny Effort, Double Take, Omen Casting, Lesser Ward, Foe's Measure, Mental Sentinel, Hesitation, Airblast, Lesser Arcane Seal, Supernatural Ward, True Casting, Magnify Vision, Scout's Hike, Bands of Force, Force Spikes, Piercing Bolt, Shelter Out of Time (10 mins cast time, to be able to rest in peace and quite and fully recover spells? yus plz?), Aspect of the Dragon (@_@ 4 con, 4 cha, +2 caster level?!), Portal, Embody, Lesser Time Stop.

Thoughts?

My own observations to these spells so far;

Canny Effort: Seems like a great utility spell if you know your about to make a skill check? Perception, acrobatics, athletics, knowledge, etc all comes to mind. Stacks with a few other untyped/differently typed +skill bonus cantrips and masterwork tools, easy way to get a skill up on demand or to help an ally out. Be the bard without the flute?

Force Spikes: I just realized how amazing this spell is. 1d6 force damage/caster level, no save until -"AFTER"- the damage/spikes land and entangle/grapple/pin the targets, and the enemies have to waste actions to try to break free. So never-missing, unprentable spikes of cc-doom you can divide on 1-10 enemies. Im thinking Intensify and/or Empower, and Spell Perfection to give it a free quicken on demand!

Abd al-Azrad
2014-11-14, 06:54 AM
Not to undermine your effort, but the reason most guides are limited in scope to official PF rulebooks is due to a confluence of factors, including the amount of time required to write such a guide and the accessibility of information, weighed against the utility of such information to the guide's audience.

Not many people need a comprehensive list of 3rd-party spells, mainly because it basically opens up an unlimited list house rules (which cannot be adjudicated from an "objective" perspective). Literally anything can qualify as a 3rd-party publication of new PF material.

Are you in any way limited in availability, perhaps by 3pp material listed on the SRD? You might be able to find specific guides to a given 3pp publication - for instance, there is a Pacting guide out for the Occultist 3pp class, as well as many psionic classes.

Psyren
2014-11-14, 11:13 AM
Not to undermine your effort, but the reason most guides are limited in scope to official PF rulebooks is due to a confluence of factors, including the amount of time required to write such a guide and the accessibility of information, weighed against the utility of such information to the guide's audience.

Not many people need a comprehensive list of 3rd-party spells, mainly because it basically opens up an unlimited list house rules (which cannot be adjudicated from an "objective" perspective). Literally anything can qualify as a 3rd-party publication of new PF material.

Basically this. Handbooks take a looooooooong time (especially in PF where new FAQ rulings and books can impact your work), and opening the floodgates to any 3rd-party simultaneously makes that take even longer, while also making it more likely readers will get frustrated because now they have to "wade through" to the stuff created by the actual designer.

But OP, nothing is stopping you from creating such a compilation if you want. In fact, I'm sure if there are any really cool spells out there in the third-party space that folks will appreciate you pointing them out.