PDA

View Full Version : Player Help New D&D Player working on first character(s) and background!

Valefor Rathan
2014-11-14, 08:58 AM
Alright so I've played a lot of games over the years - Battletech/Mechwarrior, Shadowrun, Earthdawn, Mekton Zeta, d6 Star Wars, Jovian Chronicles, Tribe 8, etc. In all of them I tend to be more on the "Good" end of the spectrum and I'm tired of it. Being the moral compass and keeping the group on track is stale to me. I don't want to be Roy or Durkon anymore.

For 5e I started toying with the idea of making and playing a tiefling warlock, more in it for himself, trying to survive in the short term but long term trying to cheat death or ascend to some sort of higher plane of existance - demi-godhood (demonhood, what-have-you). Maybe even confront the progenitor of his lineage or something. Be a little more greedy.

Last night the idea hit me to try the same general idea with a dragonborn. Be a fighter, go eldritch knight and snag some levels in sorcerer (maybe warlock even) along the way. Consolidate power and begin trying to establish himself and taking out powerful obstacles (i.e. creatures that get in the way).

So I guess I'm asking for input about alignment as well as class build a little. I don't really want either character to rule the world or anything, but establish a nice power base and "search for immoratlity" (Yay tropes!). I want to play something new.

Help? Please?

Daishain
2014-11-14, 09:36 AM
Ok, sounds like you're wanting to go neutral on the good/evil axis. Do you envision yourself abiding by a code, doing whatever the heck benefits you as it occurs, or somewhere in between?

For now I'm going to assume that you want something in the true neutral or chaotic neutral range.

A tiefling warlock would definitely fit the bill, especially with a GOO or Archfey patron. In the short run, you're trying to get by and consolidate power. In the long run, you might be looking to break free of your patron, wresting even more power from them, and/or even supplanting them. Bear in mind that unless your character was simply that greedy for power, they almost certainly have/had some compelling reason to enter the pact. This could have been a past event (you formed the pact in order to save your home from disaster, but then had to flee), or one yet to occur (finding and killing someone that betrayed you)

Eldritch knight could work as well (be cautious of multiclassing sorcerer though, that way lies MADness) One possibility is that of the rogue mercenary. You're a dispassionate killer with a very large bag of tricks, and will hire yourself out to almost anyone that can pay your exorbitant fees.

Valefor Rathan
2014-11-14, 09:42 AM
Pardon my n00bieness but I don't get the "MADness" bit.

As for the alignment, that is about what I had thought as well so I'm glad I understood them at least that much.

You hit the nail on the head with the warlock too. I need to look at the Archfey more it seems.

Thank you much!

HugeC
2014-11-14, 09:46 AM
So, if you go Warlock with fiendish patron and take True Polymorph as your level 9 Arcana, you can change yourself into a Pit Fiend once you reach level 20. The duration becomes permanent after 1 hour of concentration. Talk to your DM about it, but that could be the 'epic destiny' you're looking for.

Valefor Rathan
2014-11-14, 09:52 AM
So, if you go Warlock with fiendish patron and take True Polymorph as your level 9 Arcana, you can change yourself into a Pit Fiend once you reach level 20. The duration becomes permanent after 1 hour of concentration. Talk to your DM about it, but that could be the 'epic destiny' you're looking for.

...You're a wonderful internet person-thing...

Daishain
2014-11-14, 09:56 AM

As for the alignment, that is about what I had thought as well so I'm glad I understood them at least that much.

You hit the nail on the head with the warlock too. I need to look at the Archfey more it seems.

Thank you much!

MAD stands for multiple ability/attribute dependency. You've got six abilities, and can't afford to invest in all or even most of them. As a general rule of thumb, you can afford to keep 3 abilities high, you can spread things out further, but are likely weakening yourself in critical areas to do so.

Now, if you roll your stats instead of using point buy, you can get lucky and get an array that benefits more abilities than is normally possible. However, it is also simple for this to backfire and go the other way.

In any event, here's the problem with multiclassing an eldritch knight with a sorcerer.

basic fighter primarily cares about keeping strength, dexterity, and constitution high. (well rounded fighters want both Str and Dex, others will either focus on Str while keeping Dex from getting too low, or vice versa)

Go Eldritch knight, and you add a fourth ability to the mix, intelligence. The spells you cast are dependent on this attribute

Multiclass sorcerer, and you add a fifth, since sorcerer spells depend on charisma instead of intelligence.

I'm not saying it isn't possible to manage, just that you're going to run into a few issues. If you want to expand your spell repertoire a bit, consider multiclassing Wizard instead. Wizard spells are also dependent on intelligence, so you avoid that particular snag. Abjurer wizards also have a shield ability that would help keep you alive.

TheTeaMustFlow
2014-11-14, 09:58 AM

MAD means Multiple Attribute Dependency, i.e. needing to make significant investments in many of your attributes. In general, you want to minimize this, though you can get away with it with good attribute rolls (that is, if you rolled instead of using the array or point buy).

Valefor Rathan
2014-11-14, 10:01 AM
MAD stands for multiple ability/attribute dependency. You've got six abilities, and can't afford to invest in all or even most of them. As a general rule of thumb, you can afford to keep 3 abilities high, you can spread things out further, but are likely weakening yourself in critical areas to do so.

Here's the problem with multiclassing an eldritch knight with a sorcerer.

basic fighter primarily cares about keeping strength, dexterity, and constitution high. (well rounded fighters want both Str and Dex, others will either focus on Str while keeping Dex from getting too low, or vice versa)

Go Eldritch knight, and you add a fourth ability to the mix, intelligence. The spells you cast are dependent on this attribute

Multiclass sorcerer, and you add a fifth, since sorcerer spells depend on charisma instead of intelligence.

I'm not saying it isn't possible to manage, just that you're going to run into a few issues. If you want to expand your spell repertoire a bit, consider multiclassing Wizard instead. Wizard spells are also dependent on intelligence, so you avoid that particular snag.

Thank you much for this. I'll have to plot and scheme that character/build/plot more when I have a chanve to look at the PHB.

Composer99
2014-11-14, 10:13 AM
The reference to "MADness" has to do with ability scores.

Basically, each class wants to have high scores in one or more abilities.

For example, a plate-wearing "tank" fighter wants high Strength and Constitution, and can probably get away with a low Dexterity and Charisma. A wizard wants a high Intelligence (and probably Constitution and Dexterity), and doesn't need Strength so much.

(Almost everyone wants a decent Constitution for the hit points.)

The fewer of these ability "dependencies" your character has, the better, as a general rule. In D&D jargon, this would be "SAD" (Single Ability Dependency).

If your multi-class or other character build choices are off, though, you could end up with "MAD" (Multiple Ability Dependency).

This reduces your effectiveness since you need to either roll high scores, or have a generous point buy, or simply not be as effective at your chosen role as you would like. This may or may not be a problem, depending on how well-built the other party members are, or what level of difficulty the DM will set encounters at.

The example given was for an Eldritch Knight (who needs Strength and, if memory serves, Intelligence, for its class features) multi-classing with Sorcerer (who uses Charisma). Since having a decent Constitution is still on the table, that leaves the character needing 3 strong scores and 1 decent score, spreading out its high scores (and scarce ability score increases) quite thin.

Edit: Of course someone else gets off a faster reply while I'm typing. :smallsmile:

Daishain
2014-11-14, 04:31 PM
Did you have any additional questions, or are you set for the moment?

If looking for general advice on character build, there are a buttload of guides sitting behind the link in my signature that should help.

If looking for something more specific, or wanted advice about the background, feel free to ask.

Valefor Rathan
2014-11-14, 08:17 PM
I'm sure I'll think of something tomorrow when I'm soberer.

The wife did let me know that she's leaning toward a dragonborn sorcerer though so it looks like I'll be rolling up the dragonborn eldritch knight.

Thanks everyone!

Raxxius
2014-11-14, 10:33 PM
I'm sure I'll think of something tomorrow when I'm soberer.

The wife did let me know that she's leaning toward a dragonborn sorcerer though so it looks like I'll be rolling up the dragonborn eldritch knight.

Thanks everyone!

Another option to consider if you're dragonborn is to go Warlock (bladelock) or Paladin (vengence) (or a combination of both) with Tiamat as your patron (I'd allow Tiamat to be both, else Tiamat + toadie of Tiamat), with the overlying desire to fully ascend your draconic heritage. Paladin/Bladelock have good attribute crossover (Str, Con, Cha focus) and good class synergism (Assuming your DM doesn't overrule the warlock slots for smites).

Food for thought :) (enjoy your drink, :raises gin glass:)

Valefor Rathan
2014-11-17, 01:05 PM
Another option to consider if you're dragonborn is to go Warlock (bladelock) or Paladin (vengence) (or a combination of both) with Tiamat as your patron (I'd allow Tiamat to be both, else Tiamat + toadie of Tiamat), with the overlying desire to fully ascend your draconic heritage. Paladin/Bladelock have good attribute crossover (Str, Con, Cha focus) and good class synergism (Assuming your DM doesn't overrule the warlock slots for smites).

Food for thought :) (enjoy your drink, :raises gin glass:)

Oooh, good points on the Warlock/Paladin...

And now begins the scheming...

Daishain
2014-11-17, 01:30 PM
Oooh, good points on the Warlock/Paladin...

And now begins the scheming...
Do be cautious of the Oath. The oath of vengeance paladin is the most consistent with the type of character it seems you have in mind, but still has some behavioral restrictions that are likely to get in the way from time to time.

Of course, there is another option. The details for the oathbreaker paladin (http://ow.ly/i/7qc7s/original) were released a while back (excerpt from the yet to be released DMG). The fluff is a bit off, but that can be fixed.

If you wish to go this route, talk to your DM about allowing you to use it as a character that has fallen by the paladin's standards, but isn't evil.

Valefor Rathan
2014-11-17, 01:56 PM
Do be cautious of the Oath. The oath of vengeance paladin is the most consistent with the type of character it seems you have in mind, but still has some behavioral restrictions that are likely to get in the way from time to time.

Of course, there is another option. The details for the oathbreaker paladin (http://ow.ly/i/7qc7s/original) were released a while back (excerpt from the yet to be released DMG). The fluff is a bit off, but that can be fixed.

If you wish to go this route, talk to your DM about allowing you to use it as a character that has fallen by the paladin's standards, but isn't evil.

I'll have to look more at the Paladin when I get home.

As far as a "primarily-basher" goes, I think the eldritch knight might allow me more roleplaying wiggle room where as if I go casting-heavy the warlock might work.

I'll plot tonight as I'll have the house to myself.

Thank you all for the input.

Shining Wrath
2014-11-17, 02:21 PM
Hmmm.

Cheat death and ascend to divine status sounds like it would work for a Wizard as well.

Valefor Rathan
2014-11-18, 08:21 AM
Upon checking out Paladin more in depth when I got home, I found myself leaning more to an eldritch knight fighter for the dragonborn idea line (though I did roll up a dragonborn warlock that looks awesome).

The idea of a wizard had crossed my mind but if I stay a dragonborn I feel that the sorcerer ability of getting wings at lvl 14 is a good place to start roleplaying research into the inherent "dragon magic" I'd already be saturated with.

The tiefling concept is solidly in the warlock category because I really enjoy the idea of arguing with my in-game-literal-shoulder-devil familiar over what path to take. It might even be my first little minion upon attaining Powerhood.

I think I can solidly say that the Paladin is out of my line of thought, I like the idea of the eldritch knight/warlock combo but seems a little MAD to me, and as I'm typing this apparently I'm more about the RP aspects of the concept so my nerd is really showing.

EDIT/ADD - As far as races go for this concept the tiefling and dragonborn seem to be the most natural to go that way - almost a natural evolution if they're morally questionable enough to try and go for it.

For the dragonborn, I'm wavering between a metallic descendant who is leaning evil or a chromatic that is a little more driven.

But what about just being slightly absurd and going with a gnome? Thoughts on that one?

Daishain
2014-11-18, 09:49 AM
But what about just being slightly absurd and going with a gnome? Thoughts on that one?
Gnomes can be bloody terrifying if played right. They do "mad scientist" particularly well.

As far as mechanical synergy, they make excellent wizards. They could also do a decent eldritch knight or arcane trickster, but aren't as strong as some other options for those classes.

Shining Wrath
2014-11-18, 10:56 AM
I second the thought of a gnome gone psycho as pretty scary. If you think about what part of your body is eye level to a gnome, and then start going down the various attack cantrips ... ouchies.

A gnome wizard determined to cut the rest of the world "down to size" by turning loose constructs designed for search and destroy missions could be a real problem. We're not talking Warforged, we're talking mechanical mice that seek out and gnaw spell books and arcane foci.

Person_Man
2014-11-18, 11:35 AM
General advice you might find helpful:

1) Alignment is an abstraction which assists new players with roleplaying. Some DMs ignore it entirely, and others only pay loose attention to it. More importantly, even if your DM does care a lot about it, alignment has very little bearing on any of the game mechanics. So even if you start acting "out of alignment" and your DM is angry at you because of it, if they are following the written rules, the only thing that they can do about it is ask you to change the alignment written on your character sheet.

2) Ask your DM what method you're using to generate your Ability Scores (Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma). The default method is random generation (roll 4d6, drop the lowest die, repeat until you have six scores, then assign the scores as you prefer, then apply racial modifiers). If you're lucky, you might end up with four or more high Ability Scores, which would make "MAD" builds (like the Paladin, Monk, Barbarian) much more playable. If you're unlucky or your DM wants you to use a "point buy" method, then you are typically better off using a class that relies on as few Ability Scores as possible.

3) Multi-classing has minimum Ability Score requirements, which can introduce more MAD.

4) If you want to be a build that uses a physical weapon for your basic at-will attacks (as opposed to a spellcaster that uses Cantrips) you need high Strength or Dexterity, depending on the type of weapon you want to use. This can sometimes introduce more MAD into your build.

5) If you want to be a build that uses a physical weapon for your basic at-will attacks, then you very much need/want the Extra Attack class feature at 5th level, and some other form of bonus damage around 11th-ish level. (The exception to this guideline is the Rogue, who gets a fist full of extra damage dice from Sneak Attack once per turn). This is important to remember when considering multi-class builds.

7) Although progression is very uneven, all classes get progressively better class abilities/spells as they gain levels within their class. A lot depends on the exact character level you're playing at (are you starting at 1st level, or 10th?) and how long you expect the character to progress (is it a one-shot game, or are you going to be playing until you get to 20th level?)

8) Because of the issues listed above, the vast majority of multi-class combinations suck. There are a variety of specific exceptions, especially if you roll really well for your Ability Scores. But typically, you're going to be mechanically better off just picking one class and sticking with it.

Valefor Rathan
2014-11-25, 11:28 AM
Alright, here's where I'm at with the classes -

1) Warlock gets me light armor, some cool casting, and a patron I would eventually have to shake off.

2) Paladin gets me bigger armor and weapons, some casting (no cantrips I believe), and a patron I would eventually have to shake off.

3) Fighter->Eldritch Knight gets me bigger armor and weapons, some casting and cantrips, no patron to deal with.

The first two use CHA to cast while the 3rd uses INT.

I can combine the two or use one and toss in Sorcerer for the Dragon Wings and spice gained of extra magic slots and such.

With the EK I could add in Wizard to get more casting.

The tieflings bonuses to CHA would lean toward the Warlock + Sorcerer (or just straight Warlock) while the dragonborn bonuses seem to play more to the Paladin+Warlock (or just straight Paladin). Does that sound about right?

Daishain
2014-11-25, 12:29 PM
Alright, here's where I'm at with the classes -

1) Warlock gets me light armor, some cool casting, and a patron I would eventually have to shake off.

2) Paladin gets me bigger armor and weapons, some casting (no cantrips I believe), and a patron I would eventually have to shake off.

3) Fighter->Eldritch Knight gets me bigger armor and weapons, some casting and cantrips, no patron to deal with.

The first two use CHA to cast while the 3rd uses INT.

I can combine the two or use one and toss in Sorcerer for the Dragon Wings and spice gained of extra magic slots and such.

With the EK I could add in Wizard to get more casting.

The tieflings bonuses to CHA would lean toward the Warlock + Sorcerer (or just straight Warlock) while the dragonborn bonuses seem to play more to the Paladin+Warlock (or just straight Paladin). Does that sound about right?

1. For the most part correct, but depending on the nature of the pact, you may not actually wish to get rid of the patron. Bear in mind that in some cases, particularly with the Great Old Ones, the warlock is not subservient, but rather a parasite, feeding off of a source of power without that source's knowledge or consent. In other cases, one may resent their patron, but still abide, since their power ultimately resides with them.

2.) no patron for the paladin, just an oath of behavior that you need to abide by (or attempt to do so, its actually fairly forgiving) As with the warlock, shaking this oath means losing power, although there is a not undesireable replacement in the form of the oathbreaker paladin. Most paladin's follow a god, which would mean paying at least lip service to their tenets, but some paladins simply follow a cause of their own rather than a specific deity.

3.) Correct, bear in mind that EK is the weakest of the three when it comes to magical ability.

other notes:

sorcerer can work with warlock or paladin. Bear in mind that you need a whopping 14 sorcerer levels before the dragon wings come into play, it is typically a late game ability, if you reach that point at all, and multiclassing means it will take even longer to reach it.

You are correct with the racial tendencies. Other options to consider: variant human for any classe (getting that 1st level feat can be huge), half elf for warlock or paladin (especially the latter) Sadly, the only race with a large Int bonus is the gnome, which is marginal at best for an EK. With all that stated, there's nothing wrong with going with a suboptimal choice in favor of flavor, pick what you want and make it work.

Shining Wrath
2014-11-25, 12:40 PM
At this point I find myself asking about the rest of your party. If your party needs someone to interact with NPCs that should steer you toward the Charisma casters. If your party needs someone to tank that should steer you toward the Paladin or the EK. If your party desperately needs someone with knowledge skills that makes the EK look better.

Look at the spell lists and the Warlock's invocations. The spell lists provide a rather different feel to each class. Warlocks get some self-buff invocations and generally the spell list is focused on hurting the enemy. Paladins get some self-buff spells to bring the hurt to the enemy but also a whole lot of party buffs. EK spell list is pretty thin.

Valefor Rathan
2014-11-25, 01:24 PM
As of right now there is my non-solid character and the fact my wife is interested in playing a dragonborn sorcerer. That's about it. The gentleman who first got this all started hasn't really set any dates or times down. I'm thinking he might be waiting for the DM Guide.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-11-25, 03:41 PM
Vengeance polearm master paladin is extremely powerful. Smite gives you the massive damage to make you talk of the town. Grab a few levels of warlock if you're dying for it. But take the hermit background and go on a quest for a fountain of youth or whatever your DM will allow (as your background feature). 11 paladin is phenomenal, but grab sorcerer if you want more slots to smite with. Half elf is great for this.

My vote is polearm paladin.
Fan's favorite and the ladies' choice.

Shining Wrath
2014-11-25, 04:45 PM
As of right now there is my non-solid character and the fact my wife is interested in playing a dragonborn sorcerer. That's about it. The gentleman who first got this all started hasn't really set any dates or times down. I'm thinking he might be waiting for the DM Guide.

Your wife's sorcerer will handle the pretty face duties pretty well. She will need someone tough to protect her squishy self (admittedly, a 6'5" 250 pound squishy self). Step up, dude; be her knight in shining armor. Go Paladin.

Specifically, Oath of the Ancients. You will give her protection against all magical attacks just by being near her, which is insanely useful for a spellcaster involved in a magical duel.

Valefor Rathan
2014-11-26, 09:11 AM
Your wife's sorcerer will handle the pretty face duties pretty well. She will need someone tough to protect her squishy self (admittedly, a 6'5" 250 pound squishy self). Step up, dude; be her knight in shining armor. Go Paladin.

Specifically, Oath of the Ancients. You will give her protection against all magical attacks just by being near her, which is insanely useful for a spellcaster involved in a magical duel.

So going back to my original post about playing a more selfish character. Maybe this Paladin/Warlock (still toying) is in it for him(me) and his(my) lady. Maybe we're trying to magically Bonnie-and-Clyde the whole thing and "ascend" (or whatever) together.

I have a slow day today at work and the PHB with me so I'll look at the Paladin some more. I do find myself moving toward a combination of the two (Paladin/Warlock).

SliceandDiceKid
2014-11-26, 09:44 AM
So going back to my original post about playing a more selfish character. Maybe this Paladin/Warlock (still toying) is in it for him(me) and his(my) lady. Maybe we're trying to magically Bonnie-and-Clyde the whole thing and "ascend" (or whatever) together.

I have a slow day today at work and the PHB with me so I'll look at the Paladin some more. I do find myself moving toward a combination of the two (Paladin/Warlock).

That's awesome. Ask her about what she wants. My favorite campaign I played, my wife was an apathetic bounty hunter and I was a head-over-heels in love bard, always lying, trying to impress her. We had planned most of the ways our characters would interact, but everyone at the table loved it. I crit and killed the BBEG, turned and said, "hey gorgeous, did you see that?!" She had been distracted (out of game) and looked up, annoyed, to say, "no, leave me alone." Lol

SliceandDiceKid
2014-11-26, 09:50 AM

As you consider the two, know that when you multiclass, you delay key abilities. It can be worth it for RP or if you get exactly what you want. My advice would be start with 2 paladin to get smite at least. If you're not dying for warlock, push to 5 for extra attack and the feat from 4, before you dip warlock. And polearm is just awesome. Great weapon style is amazing with a great sword. That's what I've had my fighter using, and our DM is in disbelief.

Valefor Rathan
2014-11-26, 10:11 AM
As you consider the two, know that when you multiclass, you delay key abilities. It can be worth it for RP or if you get exactly what you want. My advice would be start with 2 paladin to get smite at least. If you're not dying for warlock, push to 5 for extra attack and the feat from 4, before you dip warlock. And polearm is just awesome. Great weapon style is amazing with a great sword. That's what I've had my fighter using, and our DM is in disbelief.

As of right now, the story I'm forming is that Afsan (my character) is a bit power hungry but also self-righteous. He knows he can do it all better and is willing to do nearly anything to get the power he feels he needs to "get the job done". I'll have to formulate the Oath but taking a sort of informal contract with a Great Power to get the Paladin powers seems like where he'd be starting. A retired soldier, he has the training in weapons and armor but knows that physical power alone won't get him what he wants. Forming a Pact with (maybe) the same Great Power gets him more magical power to augment his physical abilities and an avenue for greater advancement.

My earlier posts in this thread mentioned overthrowing his patron and maybe that's his endgame - by using the power his various obligations grant him to usurp his patron in the end for the power he longs for. Of course he can totally burn up in the process but still a break from the normal moral characters I end up with.

EDIT - Upon reading more about the Paladin, I'm leaning away from that for this character. The Oaths seem too restricting (or something). Fighter going to Warlock or just Warlock feel more correct with the back story to me.

Shining Wrath
2014-11-26, 11:01 AM
A powerful Fey could serve as both the patron of a Warlock and the person to whom the Oath of Ancients paladin owes allegiance.

Fighter gains no particular benefit from high Charisma, but I could see a bladelock / Fighter synergy.

As a wild thought, drop both Fighter and Paladin, pick up a Cleric domain that lends itself to a dark edgy guy, be a Warlock / Cleric with War or Tempest or Nature domain. Or go Light domain and embrace the schizoid.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-11-26, 11:01 AM
As of right now, the story I'm forming is that Afsan (my character) is a bit power hungry but also self-righteous. He knows he can do it all better and is willing to do nearly anything to get the power he feels he needs to "get the job done". I'll have to formulate the Oath but taking a sort of informal contract with a Great Power to get the Paladin powers seems like where he'd be starting. A retired soldier, he has the training in weapons and armor but knows that physical power alone won't get him what he wants. Forming a Pact with (maybe) the same Great Power gets him more magical power to augment his physical abilities and an avenue for greater advancement.

My earlier posts in this thread mentioned overthrowing his patron and maybe that's his endgame - by using the power his various obligations grant him to usurp his patron in the end for the power he longs for. Of course he can totally burn up in the process but still a break from the normal moral characters I end up with.

EDIT - Upon reading more about the Paladin, I'm leaning away from that for this character. The Oaths seem too restricting (or something). Fighter going to Warlock or just Warlock feel more correct with the back story to me.

Then you should totally go warlock, man. I'd advise you to go for tome (for rituals and a familiar) or blade (if you're set on melee).

Blastlocks are my favorite. And having a cantrip for every instance is awesome. If straight warlock, my vote is tiefling for darkness. That's just awesome. And thaumaturgy fits the character I think you're looking for. I'll keep an eye on this thread. Please keep sharing thoughts. I'm a fan of usurping power. Ha

Valefor Rathan
2014-12-01, 08:25 AM
Update: I ran the Bonnie-&-Clyde style idea past The Wife and she really liked it.

For her character she asked how to get a dragonborn with white pearlescent-ish scales. I told her either being descended from a white dragon or a silver dragon would probably be a good place to start. Then with the sorcerer getting the "armor" from the dragon lineage she can pick another dragon (I guess metallic?) to get that scaly shine.

Anyway, it seems our character goals are lined up, we both have an idea for race/class combo. I've got mine rolled up, need to play with the background and such and then it's her turn for stats.

Now I just need to read more about the rules and see if the DM is about ready to start. If not, I'll have to come up with some tutorial type sessions for her and I to get used to the rules.

Daishain
2014-12-01, 11:36 AM
For her character she asked how to get a dragonborn with white pearlescent-ish scales. I told her either being descended from a white dragon or a silver dragon would probably be a good place to start. Then with the sorcerer getting the "armor" from the dragon lineage she can pick another dragon (I guess metallic?) to get that scaly shine.

The current dragonborn fluff has most of them embodying the bloodlines of pretty close to all kinds of dragons. as a result, she shouldn't have trouble being pretty close to any color and sheen she could desire. That stated, blue/white and silver would be combinations that make particular sense from that standpoint.

From a more practical standpoint, lightning and cold are also pretty good energy types to work with.

Valefor Rathan
2014-12-02, 11:30 AM
Beginnings of an origin...

His clan had lived in the river valley for years. The Great Mountains rose to either side, stretching to the very clouds in the skies above, peaks unseen even during the spring. Forests of huge trees filled the wet valley, more coniferous the closer you roamed toward the mountains.
It was a large region, plenty of little hamlets and villages at either end of the valley and along the lower hills next to the mountains but those inhabitants stayed well clear of the center of the valley; the marshlands were well known to house his clan, the Aganash, and their rivals, the Belagosh. Small skirmishes were not unheard of and few risked getting involved in the inter-clan rivalries that ranged up and down the deepest part of the valley.
In a time long past, the founders of the clans had moved into the valley to secure their holdings. Even now no one knows which side got there first and no one really cares as the rivalry and hatred would have been born regardless of which founder came first, what with black dragons and green dragons being what they are.
The Aganash were descendants of the black dragons while the Belagosh were born of the greens. It had been centuries since the original dragons had left but their progeny were still here and carrying on the old feuds. Interbreeding with some of the surrounding hominids had diluted the dragon blood enough that neither clan had many of “pure” lines but all that changed about two decades ago.