PDA

View Full Version : Harmonizing Weapon + Glove of Master Strategist = indefinite Bard music? (3.5)

Xerlith
2014-11-14, 03:18 PM
So I've been fiddling around with a Bardsader build (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1042904) and figured a way that may or may not by RAW allow to keep a Bardic Music instance virtually indefinitely.

The Harmonizing weapon property says:

(...)the weapon continues singing for a number of rounds equal to the wielder's Charisma bonus or until sheathed.
(...)
If the bard restarted his song any time before the end of the 6th round, the harmonizing weapon would continue to sing with him, uninterrupted.

Glove of the Master Strategist allows the user to store/retrieve an item as a free action, and the item in question is kept in stasis.

Now, if we need to figure out what the "stasis" is, as the understanding may vary, the only mention of "stasis" in 3.5 is in the spell Temporal Stasis. It reads

For the creature, time ceases to flow and its condition becomes fixed.

/digression

This means that if I start my performance, then on the next round store the weapon in my glove, its time is stopped in the moment it was stored, meaning if I take it out later, no matter how long it's been, it will resume the performance as if the time didn't pass.

Now, is that legal or is it just my wishful thinking?

Troacctid
2014-11-15, 02:24 PM
I'd say that's sound logic!

Of course you won't gain the benefits of the bardic music while it's in stasis, but it should be singing when you pull it out again.

Xerlith
2014-11-16, 05:13 AM
Yeah, that's the purpose - to have a virtual at-will source of Bardic Music without burning through uses. It doesn't need to be kept always on.

So if this works, I can spend about ~11k GP to have the ability to keep one kind of bardic music always at hand (heh).

Venger
2014-11-16, 05:17 AM
Yeah, that's the purpose - to have a virtual at-will source of Bardic Music without burning through uses. It doesn't need to be kept always on.

So if this works, I can spend about ~11k GP to have the ability to keep one kind of bardic music always at hand (heh).

but it comes at a terrible cost:

you have to make a pun like that every time you use it.

DM: looks like they're closing in on you. what do you do?
you: Not to fear, guys, the solution is at hand!

GreyBlack
2014-11-16, 08:53 AM
but it comes at a terrible cost:

you have to make a pun like that every time you use it.

DM: looks like they're closing in on you. what do you do?
you: Not to fear, guys, the solution is at hand!

To be fair, it could often come in handy!

Venger
2014-11-16, 09:11 AM
To be fair, it could often come in handy!

good one! let me give you a hand!

Troacctid
2014-11-16, 01:06 PM
On the other hand, the glove of storing does specifically note that spell durations on the object continue to expire.

GreyBlack
2014-11-16, 02:44 PM
On the other hand, the glove of storing does specifically note that spell durations on the object continue to expire.

Nononono, you're doing it wrong. It should be, "On the other hand..."

Xerlith
2014-11-16, 02:52 PM

But IC is not a spell, nor is the weapon's Special Ability, so... I think it's okay.
After all, at lower levels 11,000 gp is a handsome fee for this to work.

Gnome Alone
2014-11-16, 02:59 PM
Even if this is techincally correct (the best kind of correct,) it does seem likely to make the DM give you the finger.

Ellowryn
2014-11-16, 03:05 PM
Plus its not actually infinite, you would just get the bonus when you need it and store the rest of the rounds when you don't. Hardly something that needs Handwaving.

Xerlith
2014-11-16, 03:40 PM
The problem at hand is that if I restart my performance and wait a round or two, the stored performance rounds reset, thus creating an infinite loop.

Gnome Alone
2014-11-16, 03:52 PM
The problem at hand is that if I restart my performance and wait a round or two, the stored performance rounds reset, thus creating an infinite loop.

Restarting the performance doesn't eat another use of Bardic Music?

Xerlith
2014-11-16, 05:00 PM
No, this is an exception called out by the WSA itself.

Gnome Alone
2014-11-16, 05:51 PM
No, this is an exception called out by the WSA itself.

Well, then, give yourself a... pat on the back for finding it.

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-16, 08:34 PM
Better idea, get two gloves. Sing one song, get one weapon going with that one (inspire courage). Now, store it and whip out your second weapon. Get that one going with a second song (DFI). Now store that one. Now, on the first round of combat you can pull out both weapons so they activate both songs at the same time. Boom, your best two buffing songs active on round one without any actions needed.

I call it the quick and handy duet.

Gnome Alone
2014-11-16, 08:52 PM
Clap clap clap

Venger
2014-11-16, 08:58 PM
Clap clap clap

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/83028_7854.jpg

Did someone call me?

Xerlith
2014-11-17, 03:48 AM
Better idea, get two gloves. Sing one song, get one weapon going with that one (inspire courage). Now, store it and whip out your second weapon. Get that one going with a second song (DFI). Now store that one. Now, on the first round of combat you can pull out both weapons so they activate both songs at the same time. Boom, your best two buffing songs active on round one without any actions needed.

This is exactly what I intend to do with the combo, as soon as I get the gold needed. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: So, most of what I got from this thread is a handful of puns.

nyjastul69
2014-11-17, 10:13 AM

This isn't handled the way you think it is. Hands are a single item slot, not two. One glove, or pair of gloves or gaunlets, never two. It's a handy rule to know.

Xerlith
2014-11-17, 10:52 AM
This isn't handled the way you think it is. Hands are a single item slot, not two. One glove, or pair of gloves or gaunlets, never two. It's a handy rule to know.

I was pretty sure there was a rule explanation/addition somewhere that handled single gloves. I mean, even in the SRD the gauntlets specifically call out the need of being worn as a pair to get their benefits.