PDA

View Full Version : [Class] The Singing Knight

Kultrum
2007-03-23, 02:06 AM
w00t Updates
This Class is for 3.5 D&D. Its kind of a cross between a bard and a paladin.
Just tell me what you think. to me it feels like something is missing.

Singing Knight
HD: d8
Proficient w/ all simple and martial weapons and w/ light, medium and heavy armors and shields
4+Int skill points
Class Skills: Climb (str), Craft (int), Diplomacy (cha), Gather Information (cha), Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) (int), Listen (wis), Perform (cha) Profession (wis), Ride (dex), and Swim (str).
Base Attack: as Fighter
Base Saves: as Fighter
Must be Good

LVL
1 Aura of Good, Song of Strength
2 Detect Evil
3 Song of Healing
5 Song of Turning
7 Song of Fear
9 Song of Cooperation
11 Song of Rage
13 Song of Strength (Overcomes DR)
15 Song of Fear (X2)
17 Song of Escape
19 Song of Pain

Aura of Good: you give off an aura of good equal to that of a paladin of the same level.

Detect evil: You make spend 1 of your songs for that day to cast detect evil (caster level equal to your class level) that acts as thou effected by the extend spell feat.

Songs: Once per day per class level, while in combat, after landing a blow, a singing knight may sing a magic song. Songs last as long as the knight sings except where noted. All saves are Charisma based (DC 10 + ½ level [min 1]+cha). For the purposes of qualifying for a prestige class this is considered bardic music. If you are struck while singing you must make a perform check (DC 10+ damage dealt) or stop singing. All targets must be within 30 ft and be able to hear you.

Song of Strength: (Su) You may increase the strength of you and your allies attacks. While singing you and all allies gain a bonus equal to one forth of your class level to all damage rolls. At level 13 you and your allies weapons are considered to have an enchantment bonus level equal to this bonus for the purposes of overcoming DR. You must have at least 3 ranks in perform to sing this song.

Song of Healing: (Su) While singing you, and your allies, fast healing equal to you charisma modifier (up to a maximum of your class level) for up to 5 rounds. You must have at least 5 ranks in perform to sing this song.

Song of Turning: (Su) Your song can turn undead as a cleric 1/3 your level (round up on 2/3, and down on 1/3). You must have at least 7 ranks in perform to sing this song.

Song of Fear: (Su) Your words scare evil enemies to the point of them making terrible mistakes. All evil enemies, within range, must make a will save or take a penalty to their attack, damage, skill, and ability checks equal to ½ your charisma modifier. This penalty doubles at level 15. All enemies that hear your song, whether or not they were affected, cannot be affected by it again for 24 hours. You must have at least 9 ranks in perform to sing this song.

Song of Cooperation: (Su) Your song helps you and your allies work better as a group. While flanking you and your allies gain a +2 bonus to you damage. Also you and your allies can flank as rogue equal to your class level for the purpose of overcoming Improved uncanny dodge or a similar effect. You must have at least 11 ranks in perform to sing this song.

Song of rage: (Su) You and your allies may choose to go into a rage (as a 1st level barbarian). If a barbarian hears the song he/she does not use one of their rages for the day and may use all rage altering abilities they poses (i.e. greater rage) . Rage lasts a number of rounds equal to your new constitution modifier for you and all your party members. You must have at least 13 ranks in perform to sing this song.

Song of Escape: (Su) You and all adjacent party members are sent up to 500 feet in a single direction of your choice. You may only use this song once per day.. You must have at least 19 ranks in perform to sing this song.

Song of Pain: (Su) All evil creatures are racked with pain by your mere words. While you sing all evil enemies that hear your song must make a will save or become racked with pain for 5 rounds. Each round all effected creatures take 1d10 damage and are considered flatfooted. If they take damage while effected the effect ends. You may only use this song once per day. You must have at least 21 ranks in perform to sing this song.

Triaxx
2007-03-23, 06:04 AM
[singsong] Smite, smite, smite the evil.

marjan
2007-03-23, 06:21 AM
I think that Song of Strength shouldn't give bonus based on CHA since you can raise your CHA to +8 easily till lvl 20. This will unable you to get through DR X/epic in mid-levels. Better scale it with level or just give treat weapons as magic for the purpose of DR or let them ignore DR equal to CHA bonus.
Also include some Perform ranks as prerequisites for using songs.

Tim4488
2007-03-23, 07:56 AM
Some word usage nitpicks. I like the class though. Cool idea, good execution.

Song of strength should say Enhancement bonus, not enchantment.

Song of Cooperation: Your song helps you and your allies work better as a group. While flanking you and your allies gain a +2 bonus to you damage. Also you and your allies can flank as rogue equal to your class level for the purpose of overcoming improved uncanny dodge and similar abilities.

Song of Fear should say penalty, not minus.

For Song of Rage, make sure you specify that it's as a 1st level Barbarian, or else you'll run into issues.

Song of Escape should specify whether everyone has to go the same direction or not, and any potential weight limit.

Song of Healing: While singing you, and your allies, fast healing equal to you charisma modifier (up to a maximum of your class level) to a max of 5 rounds.

Overall, very cool idea. I definitely like it.

Kultrum
2007-03-23, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the tips:smallsmile:

Innis Cabal
2007-03-23, 12:52 PM
looks a lot like the knight class from PH2...good class though

Kultrum
2007-03-23, 08:38 PM
looks a lot like the knight class from PH2...good class though
Ya i thought that too, the main difference is that the Knight in PH2 is more based around solo buffs were this is more party based. Oh and thanks.

Kultrum
2007-03-23, 08:44 PM
I think that Song of Strength shouldn't give bonus based on CHA since you can raise your CHA to +8 easily till lvl 20. This will unable you to get through DR X/epic in mid-levels. Better scale it with level or just give treat weapons as magic for the purpose of DR or let them ignore DR equal to CHA bonus.
So something like a +1 per four levels to a max of +5 at lvl 20?

marjan
2007-03-24, 03:51 AM
So something like a +1 per four levels to a max of +5 at lvl 20?

That would be good. Maybe remove maximum if you want this class to go epic sometimes in the future.

What kind of ability is Song of X - Ex or Su (Su I guess)? You could add that just to avoid confusion.

Kultrum
2007-03-24, 10:51 AM
That would be good. Maybe remove maximum if you want this class to go epic sometimes in the future.

What kind of ability is Song of X - Ex or Su (Su I guess)? You could add that just to avoid confusion.

Ya all the songs are Su

Kultrum
2007-03-24, 11:00 AM
Yay I added most of the things you guys said and updated the post thanks everyone:elan:

marjan
2007-03-24, 01:01 PM
I just had a closer look at song of fear is bit too much. At lvl 15 you would give enemies -15 to attack, skills and saves. Maybe reduce that a bit.

thehothead
2007-03-24, 08:31 PM
*hums camelot song from monty python and the holy grail*

Kultrum
2007-03-24, 10:46 PM
I just had a closer look at song of fear is bit too much. At lvl 15 you would give enemies -15 to attack, skills and saves. Maybe reduce that a bit.
fack your right ill change that:smalleek:

marjan
2007-03-24, 11:02 PM
As far as I'm concerned this looks good. He should be nice support for most of the parties.

Icewalker
2007-03-24, 11:23 PM
Wow, I really like this one. Fighter type with group buffing songs, I like it. Also, because you keep singing while fighting, they don't become entirely worthless when forced to fight alone. I see no problems with it.

Kultrum
2007-03-24, 11:56 PM
I'm also thinking of retooling the name, any ideas?

Kultrum
2007-03-25, 08:59 PM
Thanks for all the help feel free to use this class if you want ... Just credit it to Kultrum if someone asks:biggrin:

TheThan
2007-03-25, 10:14 PM
I like the name too much i don't think you should change it. I keep imagining a fairy tail hero type character when I think of it and honesty that tickles me.

(note: DING Barbarian in the Playground)

/grats

Icewalker
2007-03-25, 10:15 PM
hm, don't know about a new name. I'd hunt down a thesaurus and look for synonyms for song, or something. Some ideas:
Melodic something?
Harmonic something?
something of melody?

"something" could be knight, fighter, warrior, etc...

ajkkjjk52
2007-03-26, 03:43 PM
I really like this as an alternative to the standard bard. More power-equivalent, and more morale-based things, rather than magic.

Great concept.

Tim4488
2007-03-26, 04:18 PM
Bah. I like Singing Knight.

Minstrel, maybe? if you really want a change.

EvilElitest
2007-03-26, 04:19 PM
Lionheart knight? Just for irony?
from,
EE

Kel_Arath
2007-04-07, 12:13 PM

maybe a bonus that is like "class level / 4" or summat

Matthew
2007-04-07, 04:12 PM
An interesting idea this, though it could do with some formatting.

I also wonder whether it wouldn't be better suited as a Prestige Class for a Multi Class Bard X / Paladin X.

My real concern is how Songs interact with Combat and the difficult necessity of wearing a Helmet...

Kultrum
2007-04-07, 08:45 PM
An interesting idea this, though it could do with some formatting.

I also wonder whether it wouldn't be better suited as a Prestige Class for a Multi Class Bard X / Paladin X.

My real concern is how Songs interact with Combat and the difficult necessity of wearing a Helmet...

Who says you need a helmet, besides having the top of your skull is over rated. But in all seriousness the class was based as base class because i like the idea of a bard in combat from the beginning. and as for the helmet your equipment can look however you wish so you make it open faces and not pressing in.

Matthew
2007-04-07, 09:01 PM
Indeed, I just find it hard to imagine (though, I would like to imagine it).

The reason I was thinking Prestige Class, is because there are so few good ones for Paladins and mixing it in with a Bard just sounds like a great idea. Maybe I will develop it elsewhere.

Kultrum
2007-04-07, 09:31 PM
The reason I was thinking Prestige Class, is because there are so few good ones for Paladins and mixing it in with a Bard just sounds like a great idea. Maybe I will develop it elsewhere.

Actually i think ill make a PrC variant of this one now that you mention it be cause your right pallys are lacking in good ones

Kultrum
2007-04-07, 09:57 PM
hows this?
Singing Knight
HD: d10
Requirements:
10 ranks perform (singing)
Smite evil 2/day
Bardic music
Must be Lawful Good
Proficient w/ all simple and martial weapons and w/ light, medium and heavy armors and shields
4+Int skill points
Class Skills: Climb (str), Craft (int), Diplomacy (cha), Gather Information (cha), Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) (int), Listen (wis), Perform (cha) Profession (wis), Ride (dex), and Swim (str).
Base Attack: as Paladin
Base Saves: as Paladin

LVL
1 Songs Song of Strength
2 Smite Evil +1/day +1 level Arcane spell casting
3 Song of Fear
4 +1 level Arcane spell casting
5 Song of Cooperation
6Smite Evil +2/day +1 level Arcane spell casting
7 Song of Rage
8 +1 level Arcane spell casting
9 Song of Escape
10Song of Pain +1 level Arcane spell casting

Songs: Once per day per class level, while in combat, after landing a blow, a singing knight may sing a magic song. Songs last as long as the knight sings except where noted. All saves are Charisma based (DC 10 + ½ level [min 1]+cha). For the purposes of qualifying for a prestige class this is considered bardic music. If you are struck while singing you must make a perform check (DC 10+ damage dealt) or stop singing. All targets must be within 30 ft and be able to hear you. Your Singing night levels stack with bard levels for the purpose determining number of uses of bardic music per day

Song of Strength: (Su) You may increase the strength of you and your allies attacks. While singing you and all allies gain a bonus equal to one half of your class levels to all damage rolls.

Song of Fear: (Su) Your words scare evil enemies to the point of them making terrible mistakes. All evil enemies, within range, must make a will save or take a penalty to their attack, damage, skill, and ability checks equal to ½ your class levels. All enemies that hear your song, whether or not they were affected, cannot be affected by it again for 24 hours.

Song of Cooperation: (Su) Your song helps you and your allies work better as a group. While flanking you and your allies gain a +2 bonus to you damage. Also you and your allies can flank as rogue equal to your class level for the purpose of overcoming Improved uncanny dodge or a similar effect.

Song of rage: (Su) You and your allies may choose to go into a rage (as a 1st level barbarian). If a barbarian hears the song he/she does not use one of their rages for the day and may use all rage altering abilities they poses (i.e. greater rage) . Rage lasts a number of rounds equal to your new constitution modifier for you and all your party members.

Song of Escape: (Su) You and all adjacent party members are sent up to 500 feet in a single direction of your choice. You may only use this song once per day.

Song of Pain: (Su) All evil creatures are racked with pain by your mere words. While you sing all evil enemies that hear your song must make a will save or become racked with pain for 5 rounds. Each round all effected creatures take 1d10 damage and are considered flatfooted. If they take damage (other that from the song) while effected the effect ends. You may only use this song once per day.