PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Guilds and Factions... And their tools.

Threadnaught
2014-11-14, 04:40 PM
So I've got part of the story line ready for the Elder Evils Campaign, some of the big encounters are partially ready as well. My players have all got at least one character ready, as far as I know only one player has a backup, which is either insanely powerful, or with 3P, insanely cheesy.

However, I recently purchased PHB2 and found the Affiliation Rules to be rather interesting, I then began to think about how to organize some of the bad guys in this Campaign, and wondered how I could interest my players in working with the numerous factions.
So I'm turning every faction and guild into an Affiliation.

I'm really just looking to lighten my own workload as much as possible, so I would like to know which of the factions of Eberron are already represented by an Affiliation.
I know the Argentum, Order of Rekkenmark and Royal Eyes of Aundair are all in Five Nations.

In addition to official material, I am not above using homebrew for this, considering I'll have to build several myself. Is there any good Eberron based Affiliation material online?
Besides House Kundurak.

Magic Items now, I want to give my players another advantage over Gestalt and free Level Adjustment, a free Magic Item. I think up to 500gp market price and permanent items only seems okay, but I want a few opinions from the playground about what else I could do instead, or if these limitations seem okay then suggestions for my players to help decide what to get.

ekarney
2014-11-16, 04:17 AM
Whilst I have no idea about existing affiliations of even homebrewed ones, or even the guilds of Eberron at all, since the only time I've done anything with Eberron is in the saturday morning sessions. You could refluff other guilds into archetype style guild.

For example taking one, cloning it, renaming everything and offering different jobs for them.

Hell, a couple of the guilds in my campaign are the exact same size, organized the same way just with different names and jobs available.

Not sure if this helps.

As for my character, I'm going with a Miley variant first, I just need to check the rules for multiclassing and gestalting first.

Threadnaught
2014-11-16, 11:04 AM
Whilst I have no idea about existing affiliations of even homebrewed ones, or even the guilds of Eberron at all, since the only time I've done anything with Eberron is in the saturday morning sessions. You could refluff other guilds into archetype style guild.

Yeah I'll have to link you to the Eberron wiki more than just once a week.
As for Affiliation rules, I've discussed how Affiliations work with you several times, organizations as loot and a way to give players quantifiable influence and political power.

For example taking one, cloning it, renaming everything and offering different jobs for them.

That's sort of what I plan to do if I make the Dragonmarked houses. Build a template and branch off slightly to accompany the differences between the houses and offer their own unique powers.
The whole point really, is to have a system which benefits your loyalty to a particular faction via actual mechanical benefits.

Hell, a couple of the guilds in my campaign are the exact same size, organized the same way just with different names and jobs available.

Well I could have several groups built similar to each other and be the same size, but as their missions are varied, so too would be the mechanical effects they offer characters of certain ranks.
Otherwise it'd just be the same group offering different jobs.

Not sure if this helps.

Not a whole lot, but I don't think you have the rules anyway. I already have the rules for creating Affiliations and Eberron doesn't have much in the way of existing Affiliations, so I know I'd have to make up most of it myself, I'm just trying to lighten my workload.

As for my character, I'm going with a Miley variant first, I just need to check the rules for multiclassing and gestalting first.

No dual progression PrCs allowed, can only take levels in one PrC at a time and only one Variant of a Class allowed per character Gestalt or normal.

Is Miley your scary Domovoi, or your almost Munchkin Strength build?