PDA

View Full Version : Timeless Demiplane + Buffs + Astral Projection = ?

Rubik
2014-11-14, 10:23 PM
Question: If I were to create a timeless demiplane, buff myself to the seven heavens on said demiplane, then Astrally Project, would the buffs remain on my astral body permanently? Would I need an Acorn of Far Travel spell? A Planar Bubble spell? Something else?

I think the demiplane/Astral Projection would be enough, but it's late and I'm tired and I don't know with absolute certainty either way.

Any thoughts?

Jack_Simth
2014-11-14, 11:49 PM
Question: If I were to create a timeless demiplane, buff myself to the seven heavens on said demiplane, then Astrally Project, would the buffs remain on my astral body permanently? Would I need an Acorn of Far Travel spell? A Planar Bubble spell? Something else?

I think the demiplane/Astral Projection would be enough, but it's late and I'm tired and I don't know with absolute certainty either way.

Any thoughts?
Assuming I'm DMing?

Not going to fly, even if I have to house-rule it. Fortunately, I pretty much don't. Read on.

Just with Astral Projection: Astral Projection creates a copy of you which holds your soul. It suffers effects based on where it is, not based on where your body is. If I'm feeling generous, Astral Projection copies the effects ... which then start ticking down as normal.

Add Acorn of Far Travel: "you are considered to be standing under that oak tree's canopy". OK, so for spell-related effects, you're considered to be under the oak tree's canopy. It's only a 2nd level spell, so that isn't going to carry planar traits with it, just help you with spells like Deadfall, or let you treat an area as "forested" for purposes of racial hide benefits and things. Doesn't help.

Add Planar Bubble: The first catch here is that the spell duplicates the home plane of the target. For this to work, you'd need to bring a native of that timeless demiplane with you... and that's difficult to arrange. Even when you pull that off, though (on the Timeless Plane: Wall of Stone, Stone Shape, Animate Objects, Permanency will do it - a creature made of material from that plane, created entirely on that plane), I'd rule that the Planar Bubble spell does not protect itself - it has it's normal duration relative to whatever real plane you're on at the time, and will only extend your other buffs by the Planar Bubble Spell's duration.

Rubik
2014-11-15, 09:48 PM
Assuming I'm DMing?No. Assuming RAW.

Blackhawk748
2014-11-15, 10:00 PM
Sadly it looks like RAW says no to this, but im sure there is a way to circumvent that (isnt there always?)

icefractal
2014-11-16, 03:16 AM
Unclear part is whether Astral Projection copies buffs. "You and all you wear and carry" ... might include them, might not.

Even if it did, it's not like a timeless plane changes the duration to permanent, it simply makes the duration not count down. So the astral copy's buffs would last the normal amount of time, starting from when it was created.

Planar Bubble - Yeah, assuming you have a native, it would make anything inside it not count down. Is the spell inside itself? Another thing that requires a judgment call. Going with this interpretation would mean a Planar Bubble (any dead magic or conjuration-banned plane) would instantly snuff itself out; not necessarily a problem.

.Zero
2014-11-16, 07:23 AM
If your tineless demiplane has an oak tree, then i can't see why the acorn wouldn't work. SYou are always considered under *that* oak tree, and that oak tree will never die of old age because it's on a timeless demiplane. The acorn of far travel + unguent of timelessness trick is even used by hathran when they want to use their rashemen spirit magic thing. So yes, an acorn of far travel would work.

Venger
2014-11-16, 08:05 AM

Any thoughts?

yeah, that works fine. just make sure to put the acorn on your real body, that way the dupe gets a copy of it that lasts forever and he won't need to report back to base for new ones.