PDA

View Full Version : Building Legolas in 5 levels or less: can it be done?

MonkeySage
2014-11-15, 12:17 AM
I'm trying to make the case that Legolas is a level 4 character based on his 2 most impressive feats, according to my opponent: Getting a headshot on an urukhai while surfing down a flight of stairs on a shield, and "one shotting" climbing on top of an oliphant to one shot it.

In the first case, I attempted to demonstrate that Legolas could easily make the necessary balance/acrobatics check with a single level of rogue, and the rest levels of fighter or ranger(presumably ranger). I allowed the urukhai the same level of strength as a bugbear, granting that if legolas scored a crit(since this is a headshot, we can assume it is a crit), he could easily bring it down with one shot, without having to be high level.

In the second case with the oliphant, I believe the arrows in the oliphant's body count as footholds. since the creature is moving, I gave the maximum necessary dc to climb it as 25. As for one shotting it, I took the arrows in it's body as a sign that the creature had already taken substantial damage before legolas managed to climb onto it to land a finishing shot.

I treated the oliphant as a mastodon with the giant template.

Does my argument stand up so far? What have I missed?

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-15, 12:37 AM
Manyshot has a BAB requirement of +6, which may be an issue since firing two arrows at once is kinda his thing.

Me, I'd put Legolas as an E6 Champion of the Wild Distracting Attack ranger:

1: Point Blank Shot
2: Rapid Shot (style feat)
3: TWF
4: Precise Shot (bonus feat)
6: Manyshot (style feat), Sharp-Shooting

heavyfuel
2014-11-15, 12:54 AM
I pretty much agree with Anchovies build, I'd only swap Precise Shot with TWF and use Skilled City Dweller to trade Ride for Tumble . Heck, e6 was pretty much built to emulate LotR.

As for shield-surfing, that can pretty much be with Rule of Cool because I'm pretty sure the RAW doesn't forbid you from doing that, although you may want to get Shot on the Run so you can shoot while surfing. Just be sure to spend some skill ranks in Balance (maybe getting Martial Study for either an Iron Heart or Stone Dragon maneuver will give you Balance as a class skill)

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-15, 12:57 AM
I pretty much agree with Anchovies build, I'd only swap Precise Shot with TWF and use Skilled City Dweller to trade Ride for Tumble . Heck, e6 was pretty much built to emulate LotR.

The issue with the feat swap is that the Champion of the Wild ACF grants lists of bonus feats based on fighting style; since the Archery style has been chosen, the bonus feat has to be from the archery list. Also, I think he's fighting with both knives by the end of Fellowship.

heavyfuel
2014-11-15, 01:17 AM
The issue with the feat swap is that the Champion of the Wild ACF grants lists of bonus feats based on fighting style; since the Archery style has been chosen, the bonus feat has to be from the archery list. Also, I think he's fighting with both knives by the end of Fellowship.

Yeah, that totally slipped my mind... Wasn't there another spell-less ACF that gave FBFs? I'm AFB right now so I can't check.

While he was using two daggers, being e6 means he probably had 6 levels and 10+ feats though (he definitely has Giant Bane)

Cruiser1
2014-11-15, 01:52 PM
In the second case with the oliphant, I believe the arrows in the oliphant's body count as footholds. since the creature is moving, I gave the maximum necessary dc to climb it as 25. As for one shotting it, I took the arrows in it's body as a sign that the creature had already taken substantial damage before legolas managed to climb onto it to land a finishing shot.
The oliphant may not have been low on hp when Legolas started climbing it (its thick hide probably provided lots of DR). However, when Legolas fired into the top of its head, that was a critical hit, which may have been enough damage for the oliphant to have to make a Fort save or die (which it failed).

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-15, 02:14 PM
The oliphant may not have been low on hp when Legolas started climbing it (its thick hide probably provided lots of DR). However, when Legolas fired into the top of its head, that was a critical hit, which may have been enough damage for the oliphant to have to make a Fort save or die (which it failed).

Yeah. I'd have ruled that as a Manyshot coup de grace, with the oliphant rolling a natural 1 on one of its saves.