View Full Version : Metamagic for a Death Delver?

Kevingway
2014-11-15, 12:58 PM
As the title says, I'm going to be using the Death Delver spell list and moving into Magical Trickster from Complete Scoundrel, which requires a metamagic feat as a prerequisite, and I gain another free metamagic feat as I progress in the class.

Due to the Death Delver's awful spell list, I can't figure out what would be at least halfway decent metamagic feats to employ. About the only spell I can think to act on would be Enervate, as making Bull's Strength and its constitution counterpart Persistent is a huge waste of resources for the character I'm developing.

Any suggestions?

Valwyn
2014-11-15, 06:27 PM
A guy in my group is playing a Death Delver and is one of the characters with best defences in the game (part of it is playing the character smart and we're in an undead-heavy campaign, though).

I'd recomend Extend. If you go the DMM route, Quicken or Permanency might be worth it.

Kevingway
2014-11-15, 07:30 PM
A guy in my group is playing a Death Delver and is one of the characters with best defences in the game (part of it is playing the character smart and we're in an undead-heavy campaign, though).

I'd recomend Extend. If you go the DMM route, Quicken or Permanency might be worth it.

Where is he getting his turn attempts from? I'm experiencing a shortage, and the spells don't seem worth doing anything with. Quicken is probably definite, though, for Enervate.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-15, 07:31 PM
A +0 would work well here, but many of them also require a metamagic feat.

What about Miser with Magic? It's Kingdoms of Kalamar, but it lets you make spellcraft checks to retain spell slots after casting spells.

Kevingway
2014-11-15, 09:12 PM
A +0 would work well here, but many of them also require a metamagic feat.

What about Miser with Magic? It's Kingdoms of Kalamar, but it lets you make spellcraft checks to retain spell slots after casting spells.

Obscure source, unfortunately. :(

Thurbane
2014-11-15, 09:32 PM
Is there anything on the DD spell list worth using Divine Metamagic to Persist? Bit of a feat investment, though...

Kevingway
2014-11-15, 09:43 PM
Is there anything on the DD spell list worth using Divine Metamagic to Persist? Bit of a feat investment, though...

Death Ward or Freedom of Movement, but aside from that, no... lol.

Venger
2014-11-16, 02:32 AM
if you dip contemplative or otherwise nab some domains, the spontaneous domain casting ACF from PHB2 lets you swap out the ability to spontaneously cure/inflict for the ability to spontaneously cast spells from one of your domains. talk to your DM about letting you use it for death delver. since death delver's so terrible at everything, balance isn't an issue, so he should probably say yes.

Kevingway
2014-11-16, 01:10 PM
I'm pretty much sacking all my Death Delver spells for skill tricks and minor healing if absolutely necessary (probably not); sacking my rebukes for maneuver recovery and free swift actions through, yup, the Windicator. I think that covers the poor spell list, but the two metamagic feats I'll inevitably accrue just seem wasted. As much as I'd like to spend them on domain spells of some sort, I don't have room to dip into anything that grants domains, unfortunately.