PDA

View Full Version : Will order of the stick go 5th ed?

Stormageddon
2014-11-15, 03:32 PM
Just like when when saw the characters switch from 3.0 to 3.5 do you think we will see them change over to 5th ed?

Yendor
2014-11-15, 03:46 PM
:smallsigh: No. (http://www.giantitp.com/index1.html) (See 1/12/2012.)

Sylian
2014-11-15, 04:28 PM
No, but maybe Rich Burlew will make a bonus segment in some book in the future similar to what he did with 4E. That probably several years away, if it's happening at all. 5E doesn't seem to conflict with 3.5 nearly as much as 4E did, after all, and it's been done with 4E before, so he might not feel motivated to do that.

Updating the main strip won't happen, he said as much several times, and I, for one, support that decision.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-11-15, 08:43 PM
In addition to Yendor's link, keep in mind that the Giant didn't switch over to 4e when it came out and provided several reasons in SSDT. It would be interesting of something like what Sylian suggested happens, although it probably wouldn't be as easy.

I find it interesting that this is one of those topics that pops up every month or so.

Gnome Alone
2014-11-15, 08:51 PM
One of these days, we're gonna see a thread called something like, "Ooh! The OOTS should switch over to GURPS!"

Gusion
2014-11-15, 10:07 PM
:smallsigh: No. (http://www.giantitp.com/index1.html) (See 1/12/2012.)

And thank goodness for that.

Nothing exists after Pathfinder/"3.75". 4 was an abomination.

Keltest
2014-11-15, 10:09 PM

Ive heard 5th isn't actually that bad.

Gnome Alone
2014-11-15, 10:21 PM
I've heard everything from: "it's cosmetic fixes for 3.5 while pretending 4th never existed" to "it's the best edition ever, even better than AD&D." Hard to say what's true cuz I ain't played it meself, but yeah, overall reaction seems pretty positive. The 5e boards several inches north of here have much to say on this.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-11-15, 10:29 PM
I've heard varying things, from people who love it more than 3.E to people who think that 3.E is fine to people who like 4e more than either. From what I've seen, it's fine.

Chd
2014-11-15, 10:30 PM
5th is the Bee's knees!

But then again, back when I was primarily a player (a Paladin/designated party leader) I was fond of yelling to the 8-9 companions to 'Press the advantage' 'advance in testudo formation' and offering some unconventional ideas like letting the rogue to use my readied shield as a springboard to jump onto a dragon being mounted by the BBEG.

Now with 5th ed, you cut down the number of feats needed to do some bad-ass cinematic combat maneuver (a feat now is 4 or 5 3rd ed feats rolled into one. Tower Shield proficiency now gives you proficiency (including your proficiency bonus when you have advantage), and all the combat maneuvers/special attacks for it for example.

If you want to do something special, you'd have advantage because your character would see that it's the 'most obvious course of action, and it's not predictable.

The Backgrounds really add more flavor to the characters, and while we have seen many of the party's history, the bonuses they'd get from it would be awesome!

ti'esar
2014-11-15, 10:36 PM
5E doesn't seem to conflict with 3.5 nearly as much as 4E did, after all, and it's been done with 4E before, so he might not feel motivated to do that.

Yeah, I said the same thing back in a thread wondering if we'd ever see a Pathfinder equivalent to "Invaders from the Fourth Dimension" - without getting into the whole edition wars debate over which was actually better, I think it's unambiguous that 4E had major philosophical differences from 3.5 that made a comic humorously contrasting the editions an entertaining idea. 5E, like Pathfinder before it, doesn't really have those philosophical differences, so a 5E version of the Order wouldn't necessarily look all that different. So I doubt we'll ever see "Invaders from the Fifth Dimension", even if Rich didn't think it would be repetitive.

FujinAkari
2014-11-17, 07:02 PM

This is both purely your opinion and wrong.

:P

Peelee
2014-11-17, 11:31 PM
This is both purely your opinion and wrong.

:P

Comments like that are why I love you, FujinAkari.

Stormageddon
2014-11-17, 11:48 PM

Why is it that whenever 5th ed is mentioned. Someone has to chime in with 3.5/Pathfinder was the best, and then make a comment about how terrible 4th ed was out of no where?

veti
2014-11-18, 12:06 AM
Why is it that whenever 5th ed is mentioned. Someone has to chime in with 3.5/Pathfinder was the best, and then make a comment about how terrible 4th ed was out of no where?

I think that question answers itself, really...

People feel strongly about editions. In particular, people who've invested years of their time and hundreds, possibly thousands of dollars on reading /memorising reams of obscure rules and sourcebooks (of which there were an unholy glut for 3.x), have a natural resistance to being told "OK, that's all gone now, start over with this".

mikeejimbo
2014-11-18, 12:15 AM
One of these days, we're gonna see a thread called something like, "Ooh! The OOTS should switch over to GURPS!"

That would be awesome.

Roy's probably got ST 15 or 16 by now, DX 12, IQ 12, HT 13, Will 14. Probably Fit, Combat Reflexes, Weapon Master (Greatsword). He certainly has Greatsword-18, possibly higher. Earlier in the strip I might be inclined to say he had Overconfidence, but he's probably bought it off by now.

Vaarsuvius I'd say is ST 8 or 9, DX 10, IQ 16 or 17, HT 11. Magery 4 or 5, at least. Probably high levels of ER, unless the magic system is modified. I bet they use Modular Abilities, Spells only, requires spellbook. Earlier he may have had Megalomania, but I think he traded it for Chronic Depression due to story-based reasons. Wait, is Guilt Complex still a Disadvantage or was that just in 3rd?

Belkar probably has ST 13 or 14, DX 13, IQ 10, HT 12 ish. He'd probably want to take Ambidexterity, and along with Dagger-18, he'd probably want Dual-Weapon Attack (Dagger) also at 18. And also probably Cooking-14. Oh! And he has Discriminatory Smell and probably acute smell. He previously had Bully, and possibly still has Bloodlust. (Bloodlust in the GURPS Disadvantage sense means that when you have an enemy, you want to see them dead, so he can actually control his impulses a bit and still have it.) Oh! And Mr. Scruffy might count as an Ally.

Haley would likely have about ST 12, DX 14, IQ 11, HT 12. She'd have Heroic Archer, and is definitely the skillmonkey in group with Traps and Lockpicking. Probably Stealth, too. And definitely Fast-Talk and Detect Lies. And possibly Diplomacy. She might have had Low

Elan, as a bard, is a bit tough. He probably has ST 10 or 11, DX 12, IQ 8, HT 11. He'd have Charisma 3, at least, and probably Voice. He'd have Musical Instrument (Lute)-14 (at least) and Singing-14, as well as Rapier-15(ish). His bardic spells are probably based off something other than IQ - probably off his Singing skill.

Durkon (pre-vampirism) would have ST 13ish, DX 10, IQ 11, HT 13 or 14, Will 13 or 14. Probably the +8 level of Resistance (Poisons). He'd have Clerical Rank, though not necessarily at a high level, Power Investiture 4 or 5, Axe/Mace-15ish, and possibly Modular Abilities similar to Vaarsuvius, but instead of requiring that he have a spellbook to prepare them from, he gets a smaller list of spells that he must pray for. He'd have Religious Ritual (Thor). He'd also have Disciplines of Faith (Thor), and probably Truthful and Honest as well.

Knaight
2014-11-18, 01:49 AM

People feel strongly about editions. In particular, people who've invested years of their time and hundreds, possibly thousands of dollars on reading /memorising reams of obscure rules and sourcebooks (of which there were an unholy glut for 3.x), have a natural resistance to being told "OK, that's all gone now, start over with this".

Speaking as someone who is much more part of the broader RPG community than the D&D community, I'd just like to state that the whole idea of "switching" and the level of loyalty to editions is completely ridiculous. Everywhere else it's generally understood that you can pick one system, play a game with it, then pick a different system later. There's no starting over involved, and systems are inherently impermanent enough that switching doesn't even make all that much sense as a conceptual model.

Loreweaver15
2014-11-18, 02:43 AM
Just like when when saw the characters switch from 3.0 to 3.5 do you think we will see them change over to 5th ed?

Short answer? No.

Long answer? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

factotum
2014-11-18, 03:50 AM

People feel strongly about editions.

That still doesn't make it more sensible to say "4th edition sucks!" in a thread discussing 5th edition. If you come in and say, "Played 5th edition, 3.5 is still better" then that *would* make sense.

ti'esar
2014-11-18, 04:37 AM
That still doesn't make it more sensible to say "4th edition sucks!" in a thread discussing 5th edition. If you come in and say, "Played 5th edition, 3.5 is still better" then that *would* make sense.

I think that's probably that thing I mentioned about philosophical differences again, plus the internet just preferring negativity.

Timy
2014-11-18, 04:40 AM

Yes but discutions about editions are some of the best troll magnet !!

So obviously...

Quartz
2014-11-18, 12:15 PM
The real reason that OotS will not go 5th edition is because Explosive Runes don't exist in 5E. :D

Sylian
2014-11-18, 04:04 PM
The real reason that OotS will not go 5th edition is because Explosive Runes don't exist in 5E. :DGlyph of Warding has an option for Explosive Runes. It's similar to how Cat's Grace, Bull's Strength etc. got mixed into Enhance Ability. Glyph of Warding has Explosive Runes and Spell Glyph.

Then again, "I prepared Glyph of Warding: Explosive Runes this morning" isn't as catchy as "I prepared Explosive Runes this morning". And technically, there is no Explosive Runes spell, but it's still there, it's just combined with another spell now. I was going Explosive Runes in when I saw that it was an aspect of Glyph of Warding. Good thing Wizards came to their senses, it's such a flavorful spell/mechanic. :smallamused:

gorocz
2014-11-18, 04:12 PM
Just like when when saw the characters switch from 3.0 to 3.5...

That change was in the first comic, meaning they were not intended to be 3rd ed in the first place and the change was only made as a joke (which could really only work in #1).

Lexible
2014-11-19, 02:28 AM
Ive heard 5th isn't actually that bad.

I own 1st, 2nd, 3.0, 3.5, and 3.75 (4 can get stuffed). 5th edition is the first set of books I have bought new since I bought the first edition MM, PHB and DMG in the 70s. It's really thoughtfully put together... I dig the flattened power curve, the coherence of tying so many rolls to ability scores (in general the consistency of how rules are put together), the integration of prestige classes into regular old classes via the archetypes mechanism, and the better treatment of gender (visually, lack of mechanics, and the stuff of transgender and gender variance), and so much emphasis on role playing (versus roll playing). Am busy updating my home brew/house rules to build off of 5th ed., rather than my 1st–3.x hybrid.

Eagerly awaiting the DMG next month.

ti'esar
2014-11-19, 02:34 AM
lack of mechanics

I otherwise agree with your comments about 5E and gender, but I have to call a point of order on this: that's not a new thing at all. There hasn't been anything mechanical related to gender (barring maybe a couple of prestige classes that had flavor reasons) since 2E at the absolute latest, and probably earlier.

littlebum2002
2014-11-19, 09:06 AM
Why don't we start a "Class and level geekery" type thread where we stat out the order as best as possible using 5E?

Rater202
2014-11-19, 09:31 AM
I've heard everything from: "it's cosmetic fixes for 3.5 while pretending 4th never existed" to "it's the best edition ever, even better than AD&D." Hard to say what's true cuz I ain't played it meself, but yeah, overall reaction seems pretty positive. The 5e boards several inches north of here have much to say on this.

Just from reading the rules, while Casters are still better, they're weaker than they were-lots of the super broken reality warping soells have to be cast as rituals which takes time, for example, while Noncasters are either stronger or have an option to become casters themselves, meaning the power gap is much thinner.

Really the Only "Trap" option is the Champion Fighter, which is your generic "Move and Hit" Fighter, and it's still better than the Fighter was in 3.X when compared to the editions respective Cores, so it's not like taking it is going to screw you over.

Incidentally, I've seen people complain that Next was too much like 3.X and that 4th edition was infinitely superior and perfect in every way, which is what people were saying about 3. when 4th came out, which tells me it's all just your normal edition war over reacting.

Morty
2014-11-19, 09:35 AM
You'd think the fact that the comic didn't switch to 4e years ago would be kind of a strong hint it's not going to switch to 5e, either. Every reason the Giant had for not doing so back then apply now, except more strongly. The comic already holds on to what passes in D&D 3e for rules tenuously. Switching to another system, one that's not terribly distinct when it comes down to it, would be a thunderously pointless waste of time and effort, neither of which the Giant exactly has a lot to spare.

5e isn't so much bad as it's incredibly mediocre; I kind of admire the gall it takes to sell it as an actual, new game. It's mediocrity buffed, polished and put on a pedestal, in stark devotion to form over function. But, obviously, the reasons for not switching have nothing to do with quality of the rules. It would just be a lot of effort for precisely zilch in return.

Nicol Bolas
2014-11-19, 10:14 AM

{scrubbed}

factotum
2014-11-19, 11:34 AM
{scrubbed}

How is it not his personal opinion about which edition is better? An opinion you don't agree with isn't automatically an attempt to get a rise out of you, you know. :smallsigh:

ti'esar
2014-11-19, 02:47 PM
How is it not his personal opinion about which edition is better? An opinion you don't agree with isn't automatically an attempt to get a rise out of you, you know. :smallsigh:

Though it's not like that opinion needed saying in this thread. As unnecessary as the question should have been, it still doesn't require edition wars to answer.

Nicol Bolas
2014-11-19, 03:18 PM
How is it not his personal opinion about which edition is better? An opinion you don't agree with isn't automatically an attempt to get a rise out of you, you know. :smallsigh:{scrubbed}

Bulldog Psion
2014-11-20, 12:16 PM
Nothing to do with edition wars:

"Just one word: no." -- The Duke of Wellington

Rich isn't going to go through all the work of converting to 5e for the last few strips of the comic. It would be practically the dictionary definition of "more trouble than it's worth."

OotS is a houseruled 3.5e D&D comic, and will remain so to the end, IMO.

Nicol Bolas
2014-11-20, 12:30 PM
{Scrubbed}

orrion
2014-11-20, 12:44 PM
The Order won't go 5th edition for the same reason they didn't go 4th - because it would detract from the story at hand. The Giant would need to spend time explaining what had changed with worldbuilding and the various characters. It would also mess up fights and mechanics that are already planned. I know the rules are secondary right now, but going from 3.5 considerations to 5.0 considerations would still mess something up, I'd bet.

{Scrub the post, scrub the quote}

That you shouldn't be overly antagonistic?

Roland St. Jude
2014-11-20, 01:52 PM
Sheriff: This thread has devolved into pointless bickering. Closed.