PDA

View Full Version : multiclass character keeping up with rest of the party?

Deremir
2014-11-15, 05:13 PM
so i have this wonderful idea in my head for a kender that has become absolutely obsessed with magic, and wants to learn everything about all magic (and also "takes a closer look " at ever magic item he sees). this is because he is fascinated by magic in general, and thus also dosent have much of a mind for discrimination between the types of magic. so the character would try to earn EVERY kind of magic and gain access to every spell list, the problem is that the only way i can think of for the character to accomplish this would be for him to cross class between wizard, cleric, druid, and maby even other classes. and that presents a problem, because while i would be willing to have lower power than the rest of the party in return for having this greater list of available spells, the higher up in level i go the lower in power i am compared to the rest of the party, for example a tenth level wizard is far more powerful than a 3rd lvl wizard/2nd lvl cleric/1st lvl druid/4th lvl mystic thurge. because the wizard would have access to more powerful spells like baleful polymorph. and while the multiclass character could make up for some of this by being resourceful, its just going to get worse the higher up in level you go, and im afraid that with other party members who are dedicated to a single class that my character would become redundant

So i ask you playground, do any of you know of any feats or prestige classes or magic items or perhaps just a base class that has access to every classes spells or something? do any of you know of something that could help my character keep up with the rest of the party power wise?

eggynack
2014-11-15, 05:27 PM
Well, you can pick up all divine spells in existence through archivist, from heroes of horror. That'd negate the need to pick up both cleric and druid levels, which cleans up your build a lot right at the outset. You could put together something like a wizard 3/archivist 3/mystic theurge 10/X 4, or perhaps something with early entry. Wizards cover most arcane stuff, after all. As a secondary plan, it sounds like you'd like the chameleon, from races of destiny. Among other things, it grants access to slower casting off of any list, arcane or divine. As a tertiary solution, my understanding is that the spell to power erudite (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a) grants some access to most forms of magic out there. Any of those should act as a more elegant and likely powerful solution than straight multiclassing.

Venger
2014-11-15, 05:28 PM
roll chameleon. it casts all class's arcane and divine spls up to 6th lvl. RAW, it's human/changeling/doppelganger only, so you'll need a pass from your DM to take able learner, but he should allow it, you won't be more powerful than a normal chameleon. standard entry is factotum, but if you wanted to be weird and enter some other way, that's possible too. read the handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=135.0) and be happy.

Blackhawk748
2014-11-15, 05:32 PM
Im gonna second Factotum/Chameleon, as its pretty much exactly what you want.

Troacctid
2014-11-15, 06:29 PM
I'll toss another option out there: Artificer. They have the ability to craft any magic item without knowing the prerequisite spells, so they can emulate any other casting class by using wands, scrolls, and other magic items, effectively giving them access to any spell they like. Warlocks can do something pretty similar as well.

nedz
2014-11-15, 08:09 PM
Sha'ir. It's Arcane, but you do get access to several domains. You also get a cute little pet who goes and fetches your spells for you.

Really though, Kender should go for SpellThief.

SpellThief / Sha'ir would work just remember to take Master Spellthief.

Callin
2014-11-15, 08:42 PM
Spell to Power Erudite could work as well.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-11-15, 09:24 PM
Warning: extremely sub-optimal suggestion incoming.

If you want to intentionally weaken your build and still access most spells, a wiz/clr/drd/arcane heirophant/mystic theurge can yield acceptable levels of power by favoring the arcane over the divine just a bit. You'll also keep that "I want to truly experience every kind of magic" feel since you really are a druid, a cleric, and a wizard all at the same time.