PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Reducing a monster's HD - help plz

WhiteDrag0n
2014-11-15, 05:25 PM
What are the effects if you reduce a monster's HD by one. Assuming that there is no change in size, besides HP what other effects are there?

For a concrete example I want to craft a huge sized animated object to be HD 6 rather than HD 7. What if anything changes in that creature's stat block?

Relevant links:

Monster Advancement (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/monsterAdvancement.html)

Animated objects (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/animated-object)

AuraTwilight
2014-11-15, 06:36 PM
Monster Hit Dice are like class levels; they effect a creature's base saving throws, base attack bonus, skill points and feats per level, and the DCs of any abilities that calculate their Hit Dice into it in any way.

WhiteDrag0n
2014-11-15, 07:47 PM
Monster Hit Dice are like class levels; they effect a creature's base saving throws, base attack bonus, skill points and feats per level, and the DCs of any abilities that calculate their Hit Dice into it in any way.

OK, but by how much? Using the example I gave, does a HD 6 Animated Object gain a +1 BAB when it's HD increases to 7? how about it's saves? Is there a hard and fast rule when a monster HD's up, or is it up to the DM?

Allanimal
2014-11-15, 08:00 PM
OK, but by how much? Using the example I gave, does a HD 6 Animated Object gain a +1 BAB when it's HD increases to 7? how about it's saves? Is there a hard and fast rule when a monster HD's up, or is it up to the DM?

According to the PFSRD:

A construct has the following features.

* d10 Hit Die.
* Base attack bonus equal to total Hit Dice (fast progression).
* No good saving throws.
* Skill points equal to 2 + Int modifier (minimum 1) per Hit Die. However, most constructs are mindless and gain no skill points or feats. Constructs do not have any class skills, regardless of their Intelligence scores.

So, dropping a HD drops BAB, possibly saves and probably does not change skills.

WhiteDrag0n
2014-11-15, 09:14 PM
Aha! Thank you! That's the piece of the puzzle I was missing