PDA

View Full Version : If you were a tree...

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-15, 05:51 PM
Is there any way for a humanoid to acquire the Plant type on a permanent (1/day effects with 24hr durations count), preferably nonmagical basis, without losing many or any other abilities? 3.5 or Pathfinder, or both if that's the only way to do it.

Venger
2014-11-15, 05:55 PM
continuous item of tree shape with a boosted CL (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/treeShape.htm)

Blackhawk748
2014-11-15, 05:58 PM
Isnt there a template that makes you a living tree person? (Woodkin i think?) I know one of my players played one of them as a Monk once and had a lot of fun.

Valwyn
2014-11-15, 06:01 PM
There's the woodling (inherited) template. Works on any corporeal animal, dragon, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, or monstrous humanoid.

Blackhawk748
2014-11-15, 06:03 PM
There's the woodling (inherited) template. Works on any corporeal animal, dragon, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, or monstrous humanoid.

Thats what its called, ya its pretty nice, LA 3 though.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-15, 06:17 PM
What book/source is Woodling from?

continuous item of tree shape with a boosted CL (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/treeShape.htm)

Oooh! +10 natural armor, plus immunity to critical hits? That's great! No downsides at all :smalltongue:

Troacctid
2014-11-15, 06:35 PM
There is a feat, Plant Wild Shape, that lets Druids wildshape into plant forms, but it's an epic feat.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-11-15, 06:46 PM
Unapproachable East has a plant type PC race; the Volodni.

Venger
2014-11-15, 07:45 PM
Is there any way for a humanoid to acquire the Plant type on a permanent (1/day effects with 24hr durations count), preferably nonmagical basis, without losing many or any other abilities? 3.5 or Pathfinder, or both if that's the only way to do it.

for whatever ridiculous reason, I completely misread your entire post and thought you wanted to turn into an actual tree (as in an object and not the plant type) since getting the plant type itself really isn't that difficult.

sorry about that:

anyway, aside from volodni (LA 2) already mentioned, there are several ways to go about it:

a talontar blightlord becomes plant type at 10th lvl

enhance wild shape can let you turn into a plant.

a 7th lvl momf can also be a plant.

Inevitability
2014-11-16, 02:11 AM
Woodling doesn't actually change your type, though.

Greenbound, from Lost Empires of Faerun, does. It comes with +8 LA, though...

eggynack
2014-11-16, 02:16 AM
What's with the weird methods of getting plant wild shape on a druid? Druids can already do that just fine without prestige classes or epic feats at 12th level. Doesn't give type, but enhance wild shape gives you all of the stuff you'd want from type, which is just about the same thing.

Venger
2014-11-16, 02:18 AM
What's with the weird methods of getting plant wild shape on a druid? Druids can already do that just fine without prestige classes or epic feats at 12th level. Doesn't give type, but enhance wild shape gives you all of the stuff you'd want from type, which is just about the same thing.

probably because OP specified "plant type" and not just "plant traits," or we would've called it a day at plant body. he probably wants it for a feat or something. I can't think of a class that requires plant type to enter.

eggynack
2014-11-16, 02:22 AM
probably because OP specified "plant type" and not just "plant traits," or we would've called it a day at plant body. he probably wants it for a feat or something. I can't think of a class that requires plant type to enter.
Sure, but it's not like the feat plant wild shape, master of many forms, or enhance wild shape suddenly let you move from alter form based transformation to something that grants type. If those solutions are sufficient, then so too is the thing that druids get natively.

Venger
2014-11-16, 02:24 AM
Sure, but it's not like the feat plant wild shape, master of many forms, or enhance wild shape suddenly let you move from alter form based transformation to something that grants type. If those solutions are sufficient, then so too is the thing that druids get natively.

that's true. when he responds, we'll find out what specifically he was looking for.

talontar blightlord still works though if he wants the actual type for whatever reason, and is a cool class if your game's not high-op.

Phelix-Mu
2014-11-16, 02:37 AM
The 3.0 PrC Verdant Lord from Masters of the Wild has a plant transformation as its capstone; I didn't have time to go rooting around to see if it was updated, but off the top of my head, it wasn't. Unfortunately, much of the rest of the class is going to behave strangely due to 3.5 updates.

In particular, looking at the Animate Tree SLA that the class has, it seems to not have a duration, or to have a restriction against more than one animated tree at once. Wow. *facepalm*

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-16, 03:12 AM
The 3.0 PrC Verdant Lord from Masters of the Wild has a plant transformation as its capstone; I didn't have time to go rooting around to see if it was updated, but off the top of my head, it wasn't. Unfortunately, much of the rest of the class is going to behave strangely due to 3.5 updates.

In particular, looking at the Animate Tree SLA that the class has, it seems to not have a duration, or to have a restriction against more than one animated tree at once. Wow. *facepalm*

3.0 PrCs are big on not specifying uses/day, duration, and other limiting factors of SLAs they grant. I see that sort of thing a lot.

Also, I'm looking to have something where I can actually be of the Plant type, on a permanent or infinitely-renewable basis, while still being a player character (I guess specifying humanoid at the start was a false lead, sorry). Preferably something that works in an AMF, and preferably something that leaves me in a vaguely human-shaped form. Plant immunities are nice, but so is having item slots and being able to pass freely in cities :smallsmile:

And for the record, I don't actually have a set goal here; I just want to know what options are out there. Volodni seems nice in a game with LA buyoff.

Venger
2014-11-16, 03:16 AM
3.0 PrCs are big on not specifying uses/day, duration, and other limiting factors of SLAs they grant. I see that sort of thing a lot.

Also, I'm looking to have something where I can actually be of the Plant type, on a permanent or infinitely-renewable basis, while still being a player character (I guess specifying humanoid at the start was a false lead, sorry). Preferably something that works in an AMF, and preferably something that leaves me in a vaguely human-shaped form. Plant immunities are nice, but so is having item slots and being able to pass freely in cities :smallsmile:

And for the record, I don't actually have a set goal here; I just want to know what options are out there. Volodni seems nice in a game with LA buyoff.

talontar blightlord changes your type to plant and imposes no LA. it works in an AMF since it's not magical and doesn't change your gross bodily characteristics. there are some small cosmetic alterations, but nothing that can't be covered by a hat of disguise or a long cloak if your DM cares about stuff like that. it is an 8/10 casting class in UE

Aside from verdant lord, it is the only way to gain the plant type with 0 LA

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-16, 03:38 AM
talontar blightlord changes your type to plant and imposes no LA. it works in an AMF since it's not magical and doesn't change your gross bodily characteristics. there are some small cosmetic alterations, but nothing that can't be covered by a hat of disguise or a long cloak if your DM cares about stuff like that. it is an 8/10 casting class in UE

Is there anything that Unapproachable East can't do? I hear about it more often than I hear about most/all of the "Complete" books, and it's a rather narrowly-focused sub-setting book :smallbiggrin:

Also, Talontar Blightlord looks fun. I like.

Illogictree
2014-11-16, 03:42 AM
Well, since you specified either 3.5 OR PF, the Inner Sea Bestiary introduces a PC plant race called the ghoran (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/plants/ghoran). +2 CON and CHA, -2 INT. They get some natural armor, a few useful spell-like abilities, treat all knowledge skills as class skills, and can do Piccolo's trick of spitting out a seed before death that lets them re-grow. The downside is that they take CON damage each day they can't get natural sunlight, and are apparently delicious enough that they take penalties while trying to escape being swallowed.

Honestly, the CON damage thing really sort of limits the type of adventures a ghoran can go on. You don't want to take one on a dungeon delve, for instance, if you're going to spend more than a day underground. I'm surprised Paizo only rates it as a -2 RP trait (then again, the RP system is a bit wonky in the first place...)

Phelix-Mu
2014-11-16, 03:43 AM

Actually, I just dug up Forest Master from Faiths and Pantheons, which seems to have a similar transformation thing going on at 7th. It's also 3.0, I think, but substantially less problematic than Verdant Master's RAW.

And, to note, Verdant Lord needs heavy DM help, since RAW it needs 15 levels of druid to enter (or some other method to get the spell control plants earlier), and thus can't be finished inside of 20 levels. My suspicion is that some spell names got jockeyed around in the 3.0>3.5 conversion, so a sensible solution might be to use command plants (5th) instead of control plants (8th). Also, the class is kind of WTF OP by typical PrC standards; d8HD, full BAB, full casting, two good saves, 4+skill points and a bunch of pretty nifty class features.

Venger
2014-11-16, 03:44 AM
Is there anything that Unapproachable East can't do? I hear about it more often than I hear about most/all of the "Complete" books, and it's a rather narrowly-focused sub-setting book :smallbiggrin:

Also, Talontar Blightlord looks fun. I like.

a talontar blightlord becomes plant type at 10th lvl .

talontar blightlord still works though if he wants the actual type for whatever reason, and is a cool class if your game's not high-op.

talontar blightlord changes your type to plant and imposes no LA.

It's true what they say. third time's the charm. :smalltongue:

Aside from 3.5 specific content, no, there isn't. UE is my favorite splat.

Yeah, talontar blightlord is awesome, you'll enjoy it.

ShurikVch
2014-11-16, 08:43 AM
Thrall of Zuggtmoy (Dr#337) get Plant type at 10th level too

Wood Element (MotP) creatures are Plants in settings without the Wood Elemental Plane. LA +5

Other "playable" plants:
Adu'ja (Dr#317) LA +2
Briarvex (MM4) 8 HD, LA +4
Cactacae (Dr#352) LA +2; Powerful build
Green Warder (MoF) 4 HD, LA +4
Greenbound Creature template (LEoF) LA +8 (But example Greenbound Troll is only LA +5 :smallwink:)
Myconids (MM2):
Junior Worker LA +2
Average Worker 2 HD, LA +2
Elder Worker 3 HD, LA +3
Guard 4 HD, LA +4
Circle Leader 5 HD, LA +5
Sovereign 6 HD, LA +6
Needlefolk (MM2) 3 HD, LA +1
Saguaro Sentinel (Sandstorm) 12 HD, LA +4
Shambling Mound (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/shamblingMound.htm) 8 HD, LA +6
Treant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/treant.htm) 7 HD, LA +5
Twig Blight (MM2) LA +2
Wizened Elder (MM4) 4 HD, LA +3
Wood Woad (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040905a&page=6) (MM3) 8 HD, LA +3