PDA

View Full Version : Planar Binding as a magic mart?

RoboEmperor
2014-11-15, 05:53 PM
I was thinking of ways of how someone would get scrolls other than
a. magic mart
b. random loot
c. wish
d. wizard companion.

Lets say this Sorcerer needs a couple scrolls to craft some item. Can he use planar binding to bind some outsider and then buy the scroll from him at normal market price? (He would give you his name so you can call him, and he promises to have the scroll in the next 24 hours)

But then I thought what about other magic items? No reason why an outsider that can acquire scrolls can't acquire any other magic item, like expensive material components for spells, magic armor, etc.

So my question is, can planar binding be a portable magic market?

The outsider I have in mind is a Mercane.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-11-15, 06:49 PM
Certainly. In particular the genies, especially the Dao, are pretty trade happy. Be careful though. Planar binding is seen by some DM's as "plot-hook: the spell."

Edit: oh, I don't recall rightly if they're outsiders or not but the mercanes have built their entire society around interplanar trading. Definitely try to get a hold of one of their consortiums.

Erik Vale
2014-11-15, 07:00 PM
You could. But you'd have to grab the outsider at a time when it has access to it's stock and coin, instead of say, while it's in the bath.
Perhaps ask your DM, which would be the best bet, and if he says yes, but you'll need to call the right one etc, see if you can visit your local sage and find a local planar merchants guide.

Or since your of high enough level for planar binding, use plane shift instead and go to Sigil.

RoboEmperor
2014-11-15, 07:46 PM
Sweet... this will allow me access to all the special materials and such in every campaign :)
I'll talk to the DM beforehand though to see if he really, really wants the campaign to be low-magic.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-11-15, 08:09 PM
Sweet... this will allow me access to all the special materials and such in every campaign :)
I'll talk to the DM beforehand though to see if he really, really wants the campaign to be low-magic.

When you do, point out that a scarcity of magic items does not make a campaign "low-magic" just "melee unfriendly." You get low-magic by limiting the -types- of magic items available and banning the living crap out of the T1 and T2 casters.

More importantly though, don't try to intentionally circumvent the DM's intent. It will -never- end well.

RoboEmperor
2014-11-15, 08:13 PM
When you do, point out that a scarcity of magic items does not make a campaign "low-magic" just "melee unfriendly." You get low-magic by limiting the -types- of magic items available and banning the living crap out of the T1 and T2 casters.

More importantly though, don't try to intentionally circumvent the DM's intent. It will -never- end well.

He just wants to make use of the crafting system. If you want a magic item, you gotta craft it not buy it

Squark
2014-11-15, 08:20 PM
He just wants to make use of the crafting system. If you want a magic item, you gotta craft it not buy it

Please tell me he's given the mundanes a way to make magic items. Because otherwise they'll be lucky to get any.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-11-15, 08:27 PM
Well, a battlesmith (RoS) or an iron soul forgemaster (MoI) can do basic arms and armor but both require being a dwarf or sac'ing three levels to stone blessed and, more importantly, a few levels to a PrC you might not otherwise go for.

RoboEmperor
2014-11-15, 08:32 PM
Well the mundanes seem to be doing well enough when they're polymorphed, have greater magic weapon cast on them, buffed to high heck, etc.

afroakuma
2014-11-15, 08:44 PM
So my question is, can planar binding be a portable magic market?

The outsider I have in mind is a Mercane.

A mercane will not appreciate being "approached" in that fashion. For one thing, there's a good chance you're yanking it out of ongoing work. Mercane are also innately cautious around strangers and are always attended by bodyguards (who you'd be leaving behind). It's likely that higher-level mercanes employ personal defenses against planar binding for exactly these reasons.

Your best bet if dealing with a mercane in this fashion is to apologize, give it a token of goodwill and make arrangements to shop with them in a manner more convenient to their preferences.

RoboEmperor
2014-11-15, 09:04 PM
I dunno, I'm pretty sure a salesman would not mind being kidnapped from his home while he's sleeping and waking up in an abandoned warehouse surrounded by hostile men if the leader of the group says he wants to buy a million dollar worth of goods he's selling. Sure startled, confused, and pissed off at first, but hey, million dollars obtained LEGALLY? And is going to be a recurring customer who will spend even more millions of dollars? I'm pretty sure the salesman would voluntarily stop whatever he's doing anywhere anytime to help the kidnapper since he's his biggest client.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-11-15, 09:09 PM
I dunno, I'm pretty sure a salesman would not mind being kidnapped from his home while he's sleeping and waking up in an abandoned warehouse surrounded by hostile men if the leader of the group says he wants to buy a million dollar worth of goods he's selling. Sure startled, confused, and pissed off at first, but hey, million dollars obtained LEGALLY? And is going to be a recurring customer who will spend even more millions of dollars? I'm pretty sure the salesman would voluntarily stop whatever he's doing anywhere anytime to help the kidnapper since he's his biggest client.

The biggest problem with this line of thought is that you're almost certainly not his biggest customer. Probably not even in the top 20.

The most important thing in calling an outsider you want on friendly terms is, at least IMO, not laying down the calling diagram. Snatched up but free to leave is a much less undesirable position to be in than snatched up and trapped for at least two weeks.

Blackhawk748
2014-11-15, 09:15 PM
Im gonna agree with Kelb, dont stuff a Dimensional anchor in that thing, just call them up, apologize for the rude call and then explain that you werent sure how else to do so. They will then probably explain to you, in a somewhat annoyed tone, how to do so. Then apologize again and offer them a drink while you discuss business.

This could actually be a lot of fun to roleplay.

RoboEmperor
2014-11-15, 09:18 PM
Isn't planar binding originally intended to make deals with outsiders? Devil worshippers summon devils via planar binding to ask them for a favor and whatnot, or a human who wants to make a faustian pact (i think that's how it's spelled) also uses planar binding, so why not mercane? He just smiles and uses his secret chest to bring his wares in front of the wizard and the wizard buys it. It's not like he's brow-beating him with debuffs and winning charisma checks with moment of prescience to have him fork over all the goods for free. :P

Planar binding also has a specific creature calling function by calling its name, so you can be a returning customer. Iunno, I think mercanes will always love opportunties to trade. But this is all small fluff stuff XD. If you think mercane is pissed off, no biggie! Like you said apologize.

I just picture a called mercane like:
He's humming, then he notices you called him, and asks how can he help, not GRR YOU DISTURBED ME MORTAL! BLARGH! And then after the transactions he gives you his name so you can call him anywhere, anytime, for more trading, like how a salesman gives his business card.

And yeah of course no dimensional anchor. Dunno about magic circle though. I think you NEED one to use planar binding.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-11-15, 09:37 PM
A very literal minded DM may demand a magic circle, due to the phrasing of planar binding, but mercanes aren't actually impeded by them anyway (usually neutral, IIRC).

Demons don't care. Any access to the material will do. Devils want you to call them because they can't tempt you out of your soul from hell (easily).

Mercanes, on the other hand, don't care much for berks (material plane denizens) because they're relatively quite poor and far too short lived to make good long-term business partners. You can charm them (non-magically) into forgiving the rude approach with good manners and a decent deal though. Business is business, after all.

Don't make the mistake of lumping all outsiders together. Their groups have far less in common than the subdivisions of humanoids ever could.

Werephilosopher
2014-11-15, 10:50 PM
A very literal minded DM may demand a magic circle, due to the phrasing of planar binding, but mercanes aren't actually impeded by them anyway (usually neutral, IIRC).

If they're neutral, they should be impeded by every kind of magic circle.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-11-15, 11:10 PM
If they're neutral, they should be impeded by every kind of magic circle.

Huh. Don't know why I got that backwards.

No matter. A reasonable DM shouldn't see any reason that PB would fail without the magic circle anyway.