PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Making the Mother Confessor

Blackhawk748
2014-11-15, 08:23 PM
Ya, just recently finished the Sword of Truth series (wow what an ending) and now i want to create the Mother Confessor, Kahlan Amnell. The problem is im not sure how to go about this. What this build needs:

1. A virtually unsavable and permanent Charm effect (ill take as close as possible)
2. Needs to be an accomplished swordswomen, she uses speed over strength so something Dex based
3. Her power must be innate, as Confessors are born with it. (if this is not workable i can live with that)
Bonus. Able to chuck "Lightning" (i think it has more in common with negative energy but a very destructive blast of magic works to, i will also accept save or die)

Well thats about it. Cant wait to see what you all come up with.

Venger
2014-11-15, 08:52 PM
Ya, just recently finished the Sword of Truth series (wow what an ending) and now i want to create the Mother Confessor, Kahlan Amnell. The problem is im not sure how to go about this. What this build needs:

1. A virtually unsavable and permanent Charm effect (ill take as close as possible)
2. Needs to be an accomplished swordswomen, she uses speed over strength so something Dex based
3. Her power must be innate, as Confessors are born with it. (if this is not workable i can live with that)
Bonus. Able to chuck "Lightning" (i think it has more in common with negative energy but a very destructive blast of magic works to, i will also accept save or die)

Well thats about it. Cant wait to see what you all come up with.

1) apostle of peace's bad touch ability allows no save and makes enemies docile and compliant. charm is not a damaging effect, so is allowed by your byzantine code of behavior. it is accessible through a number of domains, including the charm domain.
2) you can do this basically however
3) epic bluff/diplo, or a skill of your choice via exemplar5 will brainwash anyone you like into being your fanatical slave who will kill themselves for you
4) there's a variety of spls like this out here, or it's replicable through UMD if you use a broad enough list like druid, wiz, or cleric.

in toto, I'm thinking warlock. charm, like all invocations, is spammable and a successful save does not prevent you from further attempts. warlock powers, being all-day, are "innate" in that regard, and you could just fluff EB as lightning if you wanted to.

how's that grab you?

Blackhawk748
2014-11-15, 08:59 PM
in toto, I'm thinking warlock. charm, like all invocations, is spammable and a successful save does not prevent you from further attempts. warlock powers, being all-day, are "innate" in that regard, and you could just fluff EB as lightning if you wanted to.

how's that grab you?

Warlock is sounding like a good chasis to build off of, now i just need to snag the Charm domain somehow....

Venger
2014-11-15, 09:05 PM
Warlock is sounding like a good chasis to build off of, now i just need to snag the Charm domain somehow....

huh? why do you need the charm domain? its "charm" invocation functions as charm monster as often as you want.

robgrayert
2014-11-15, 09:07 PM
The Con Dar clearly = rage, so she dipped barbarian at some point. 👍

Honestly you might just write out Confessor as a class of its own, or its own Sorcerer bloodline.

Blackhawk748
2014-11-15, 09:11 PM
huh? why do you need the charm domain? its "charm" invocation functions as charm monster as often as you want.

I want that touch power, as it sounds perfect.

Also ya, Rage is probably a good thing somewhere in here.

Also a buddy did awhile back, i was just curious if i could do it without homebrew.

Venger
2014-11-15, 09:15 PM
I want that touch power, as it sounds perfect.

Also ya, Rage is probably a good thing somewhere in here.

Also a buddy did awhile back, i was just curious if i could do it without homebrew.

oh, I see what happened:

apostle of peace allows a no-save "calm emotions" on anyone who you touch.

with that in mind, I meant that if you entered it (since charm x is not on its spell list) you might take the charm domain either through contemplative or some other method.

yeah, you can accomplish all these things pretty easily without needing to resort to homebrew.

Blackhawk748
2014-11-15, 09:22 PM
Ah ok, makes a lot more sense now.

Now i need to find a way to gish properly with a Warlock, sadly it doesnt qualify for the usual gish classes.... Wait a minute. I could go Warlock 5/Rogue 1/ Whirling Frenzy Lion Spirit Totem Barbarian 1/Daggerspell Mage 10. Now granted i cant use the Daggerspell Mage class features, but im there for the Sneak Attack as Kahlan has no problem shanking bad guys when they're not paying attention. Hell she even uses two daggers in the show (yes i know its not the same as the book, but the author was in on it so thats good enough for me) Focus on the Buffing the Save DC on that charm invocation, grab a few other flavorful Invocations and i am good to go.

Venger
2014-11-15, 09:32 PM
check out the handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?265455-The-Newest-Warlock-Handbook-3-5) it has a section on possible prcs if your heart's dead-set on gishing. you can be pretty capable at it as a clawlock. since your dm's apparently ok with homebrew, he shouldn't balk too much at one measly dragon feat.

Flickerdart
2014-11-16, 12:00 AM
What a Confessor does is much, much closer to Mindrape or at least Programmed Amnesia than any sort of Charm effect.

Blackhawk748
2014-11-16, 12:00 AM
What a Confessor does is much, much closer to Mindrape or at least Programmed Amnesia than any sort of Charm effect.

I know, but id have to wait till such a late point in the game that i figured id go with the next best option.

Rijan_Sai
2014-11-16, 01:28 AM

I know, but id have to wait till such a late point in the game that i figured id go with the next best option.

3) epic bluff/diplo, or a skill of your choice via exemplar5 will brainwash anyone you like into being your fanatical slave who will kill themselves for you

I'm not much of an optimizer, so I'm not sure exactly how this works, but it's basically exactly what you would need. Getting it into a touch attack "should" be possible, but I would have no idea how...

(BTW, love these books! Now I just need to read the ones after Confessor...)

Venger
2014-11-16, 02:00 AM
I'm not much of an optimizer, so I'm not sure exactly how this works, but it's basically exactly what you would need. Getting it into a touch attack "should" be possible, but I would have no idea how...

(BTW, love these books! Now I just need to read the ones after Confessor...)

yeah, you need high lvl magic to do anything near like that stuff or sanctify the wicked (which sometimes kills you, which mindrape/programmed amnesia have no power to do)

by giving the victim a +50 to their sense motive check, bluff (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#bluff) can impart a nonmagical suggestion effect as the spell of the same name, which lasts for 10 minutes (but then just reapply)

a diplo (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#diplomacy) check hitting the specified static DCs as per the provided table, makes the target fanatical, giving them some trifling bonuses and turning them into a perfectly obedient slave. it also makes them immune to any other skills changing their attitudes, so they can't be intimidated or made fanatical by anybody else pulling the same trick for the duration of the effect (1+your cha mod days) it is mind-affecting enchantment (also nonmagical) so it won't work on certain types, but other than that is pretty handy.

exemplar 5 allows you to give a "persuasive performance" to do as above with diplo, except you can use any skill you like instead. this is where the "jumplomancer" comes from.

you don't actually need to touch any of your victims in order to do this, but if that's part of this specific character's superpowers, you could always fluff it that way.

Rijan_Sai
2014-11-16, 02:37 AM
-Epic skills-

exemplar 5 allows you to give a "persuasive performance" to do as above with diplo, except you can use any skill you like instead. this is where the "jumplomancer" comes from.

you don't actually need to touch any of your victims in order to do this, but if that's part of this specific character's superpowers, you could always fluff it that way.

Right...epic...

I was aware of some of this, but not how it worked...(must re-read Exemplar, now :smallamused:)

And yeah, in the books the Confessor has to touch her victim and release her power.

Venger
2014-11-16, 02:42 AM
Right...epic...

I was aware of some of this, but not how it worked...(must re-read Exemplar, now :smallamused:)

And yeah, in the books the Confessor has to touch her victim and release her power.

despite the name, you don't have to be an epic character to do any of that stuff, unlike epic spells. you just need to be able to get your numbers high enough, which, as demonstrated countless times, is not hard at all.

it's all right there on the SRD, along with the rest of epic.

ok, then if it's important to OP, he can roleplay her touching her victims since I'm gathering from the name that she picks them off one by one anyway.

exemplar is in complete adventurer.

Blackhawk748
2014-11-16, 03:00 AM
despite the name, you don't have to be an epic character to do any of that stuff, unlike epic spells. you just need to be able to get your numbers high enough, which, as demonstrated countless times, is not hard at all.

it's all right there on the SRD, along with the rest of epic.

ok, then if it's important to OP, he can roleplay her touching her victims since I'm gathering from the name that she picks them off one by one anyway.

exemplar is in complete adventurer.

Ya she can only use her power, like once an hour or so. But that is generally good enough as the new mind controlled bodyguard beats the tar out of whats trying to kill her.