PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Half-Cyclops PC help wanted =D

Icenoble
2014-11-16, 04:20 AM
Hello!
New to this forum and roleplaying games in general only been playing for about a year, started in pathfinder and now doing 5e. Dabbled in 3e way way back but never played.

I have this model from another game system of course that i wont be using so i wanted to get some mileage out of the model
http://privateerpress.com/hordes/gallery/skorne/warbeasts/cyclops-savage

I was looking for some help homebrewing up some rules since 5e certainly isnt as customizable as 3e was. On to the questions i guess.

#1 Should i attempt a whole new template or basically add/modify the Half-orc already in the book?

#2 I wanted to include some of the drawbacks that would have plenty of flavor such as
- Poor depth perception: Has disadvantage on any attack roll against a target more then 30 feet away.
- Hideous Visage: disadvantage or a -2 on any charisma checks if face is exposed.
- Lots of potential rules in the monster manual so anymore you guys think would be applicable would be awesome! :smile:

#3 I would like him to be a large sized character or at least a hybrid medium/large to fit the model, something like 12 feet instead of the full 18 feet tall that sort of thing. I couldnt find any rules besides movement/space and reach for a potential large category PC, there is a little bit of rules in the enlarge spell as well but nothing really in depth. This part has me stumped really, some of the old rules or even the ones in the monster manual might be a bit to good. Should ability scores be adjusted to match the added size along with disadvantages or not?

Thank you for taking a look and any help you could lend me!

Ursus the Grim
2014-11-16, 10:06 AM
Well, your mini has a helmet on, so theoretically you could play something other than a cyclops. . .

I've got two proposals. The first is what I'd prefer and consider more balanced, the second is closer to your request. I fluffed up the first one a bit.

Polyphemian

The polyphemian is a descendant of the ancient, mythical cyclops, reflective in their form. They stand taller than any of the common races at eight feet tall and weigh well over 400 lbs. Their most obvious feature is the single eye that sits on their face, the inheritance from their famously mighty ancestors.

Mythological Legacy
As the descendants of the cyclopes, polyphemians are unable to escape the obvious association. Some react violently to the stares, others simply tolerate it, and the rare few embrace it. An armed polyphemian approaching city limits might even be met with ignorant hostility.

Wandering Giants
The cyclopes were simple, uncomplicated creatures living outside of the world of manmade rules. Their progeny share a similar, wandering spirit. Though a polyphemian mother will watch over her child for some time, once the child is old enough to speak and hunt, the family splits up. Its not likely to find a polyphemian craftsman, but they often take up trades that include travelling - from a renowned mercenary to the humble merchant.

Ponderous Metabolism
Polyphemians are a large people and do not move with any particular haste or agility, instead conserving their energy for when they truly need it. They approach a threat with steady determination, steeling themselves as they wade into battle.

Polyphemian Names
Polyphemians have a reputation for wandering with few attachments, and their names are generally simple and easy to remember.

Male Names: Agnes, Brontes, Dante, Steropes, Virgil
Female Names: Caras, Glossa, Lossi, Narat, Thassa

Polyphemian Traits
Your polyphemian has a number of traits it shares with other polyphemians.
Ability Score Increase: Your Strength score increases by 2, and your Constitution score increases by 1.
Age: Polyphemians have a slow metabolism and live significantly longer than the average human. They reach maturity somewhere around 30 years and can live to almost 400 years.
Size: A polyphemian stands between seven and nine feet tall, with their weight anywhere between 300 and 600 lbs pounds. Your size is Medium.
Speed: Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Indomitable: As a bonus action you may gain 1d4+2 temporary hit points, which last for up to one hour. This increases to 2d4+4 at 5th level, 3d4+6 at 11th level, and 4d4+8 at 15th level. After you use Indomitable, you can't use it again until you complete a long rest.
High Vantage: You have proficiency in the Perception skill.
Wild Swing: When you miss with a melee attack you may make an immediate melee attack against another target within reach. After you use Wild Swing, you can't use it again until you complete a short or long rest.
Poor Depth Perception: You have disadvantage on any attack rolls made against targets more than 60 feet away.

Large Polyphemian
Traits
Large Size:
Armor Costs x4, weighs x2.
Weapons cost x2, weigh x2. Damage increases by one die size (1d4 to 1d6; 1d12 to 2d6; 2d6 to 2d8)
Abilities: +2 Str, +1 Con
Poor Depth Perception: Disadvantage more than 60 feet away.
Natural Armor: AC can't be less than 13+your dex modifier
Languages: Common and Giant

Icenoble
2014-11-16, 03:27 PM
Well, your mini has a helmet on, so theoretically you could play something other than a cyclops. . .

I've got two proposals. The first is what I'd prefer and consider more balanced, the second is closer to your request. I fluffed up the first one a bit.

Polyphemian

The polyphemian is a descendant of the ancient, mythical cyclops, reflective in their form. They stand taller than any of the common races at eight feet tall and weigh well over 400 lbs. Their most obvious feature is the single eye that sits on their face, the inheritance from their famously mighty ancestors.

Mythological Legacy
As the descendants of the cyclopes, polyphemians are unable to escape the obvious association. Some react violently to the stares, others simply tolerate it, and the rare few embrace it. An armed polyphemian approaching city limits might even be met with ignorant hostility.

Wandering Giants
The cyclopes were simple, uncomplicated creatures living outside of the world of manmade rules. Their progeny share a similar, wandering spirit. Though a polyphemian mother will watch over her child for some time, once the child is old enough to speak and hunt, the family splits up. Its not likely to find a polyphemian craftsman, but they often take up trades that include travelling - from a renowned mercenary to the humble merchant.

Ponderous Metabolism
Polyphemians are a large people and do not move with any particular haste or agility, instead conserving their energy for when they truly need it. They approach a threat with steady determination, steeling themselves as they wade into battle.

Polyphemian Names
Polyphemians have a reputation for wandering with few attachments, and their names are generally simple and easy to remember.

Male Names: Agnes, Brontes, Dante, Steropes, Virgil
Female Names: Caras, Glossa, Lossi, Narat, Thassa

Polyphemian Traits
Your polyphemian has a number of traits it shares with other polyphemians.
Ability Score Increase: Your Strength score increases by 2, and your Constitution score increases by 1.
Age: Polyphemians have a slow metabolism and live significantly longer than the average human. They reach maturity somewhere around 30 years and can live to almost 400 years.
Size: A polyphemian stands between seven and nine feet tall, with their weight anywhere between 300 and 600 lbs pounds. Your size is Medium.
Speed: Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Indomitable: As a bonus action you may gain 1d4+2 temporary hit points, which last for up to one hour. This increases to 2d4+4 at 5th level, 3d4+6 at 11th level, and 4d4+8 at 15th level. After you use Indomitable, you can't use it again until you complete a long rest.
High Vantage: You have proficiency in the Perception skill.
Wild Swing: When you miss with a melee attack you may make an immediate melee attack against another target within reach. After you use Wild Swing, you can't use it again until you complete a short or long rest.
Poor Depth Perception: You have disadvantage on any attack rolls made against targets more than 60 feet away.

Large Polyphemian
Traits
Large Size:
Armor Costs x4, weighs x2.
Weapons cost x2, weigh x2. Damage increases by one die size (1d4 to 1d6; 1d12 to 2d6; 2d6 to 2d8)
Abilities: +2 Str, +1 Con
Poor Depth Perception: Disadvantage more than 60 feet away.
Natural Armor: AC can't be less than 13+your dex modifier
Languages: Common and Giant

Thank you very much with the speedy reply, I do like the first more (trying to step away from the power gamer mantle i have acquired in these parts). Rules are nice and fluffy, what languages would the Polyphemian know? I assume common but anything else?

Ursus the Grim
2014-11-16, 03:31 PM
Thank you very much with the speedy reply, I do like the first more (trying to step away from the power gamer mantle i have acquired in these parts). Rules are nice and fluffy, what languages would the Polyphemian know? I assume common but anything else?
I've got today off, heh heh.

Yeah, I fluffed the first more because I liked it, but if you wanted to it could probably be easily adjusted for the Large version.

The polyphemian as I considered it was several generations removed from the Cyclops itself and so may or may not speak Giant. I don't think it would break if it did.

As always, talk with your DM.

Icenoble
2014-11-17, 04:31 AM
I've got today off, heh heh.

Yeah, I fluffed the first more because I liked it, but if you wanted to it could probably be easily adjusted for the Large version.

The polyphemian as I considered it was several generations removed from the Cyclops itself and so may or may not speak Giant. I don't think it would break if it did.

As always, talk with your DM.

Talked with my DM and showed the race you drew up, he liked it but decided to change one thing. He wanted to impose disadvantage to the wild swing ability but counter that negative with adding reach to it.

Is that to strong or weak in your opinion?

Ursus the Grim
2014-11-17, 06:59 AM
Talked with my DM and showed the race you drew up, he liked it but decided to change one thing. He wanted to impose disadvantage to the wild swing ability but counter that negative with adding reach to it.

Is that to strong or weak in your opinion?

You said you were trying to shed your reputation as a power gamer, yeah? Resisting the urge to nitpick things like this can go a long way.

I was considering imposing disadvantage on Wild Swing, but was afraid that would mean that most of the time it was useless. However, granting it reach means you have a wider variety of targets and chances to use it.

Its a nerf, but not a crippling one. I'd say take it, run with it. Its better to miss three times and show your GM that its too weak than to hit three times and show your race is OP.

Assuming you have a +5 to hit against AC 13 (pretty common numbers at level 1).
You need to roll an 8.
Normally, your chances of beating this are 70%.
With disadvantage, your chances drop to 42%.
This has the effect of essentially needing to roll a 13.

The higher their AC, the more likely this is to hurt you.

I recommend using Wild Swing, throwing your main attack against a hard target and then using Wild Swing to lash out at something with lower AC.