PDA

View Full Version : DM Help blank check readying action houserule

With a box
2014-11-16, 04:57 AM
Instead of specify the action will take and the conditions, just declare got free to use inmidate standard action as if he cast celerity.
Initiative Consequences is same as before.

would it be an overpowered option?
how about just select what action to do at ready and let player decide when he use?

Venger
2014-11-16, 04:59 AM
Instead of specify the action will take and the conditions, just declare got free to use inmidate standard action as if he cast celerity.
Initiative Consequences is same as before.

would it be an overpowered option?
how about just select what action to do at ready and let player decide when he use?

this is grotesquely overpowered for the same reasons as we were discussing in that other immediate action houserule thread: it makes all spells have a casting time of 1 immediate action.

With a box
2014-11-16, 05:03 AM
Then if I just block spells by readIED spell only can be used for counterspell?

Venger
2014-11-16, 05:06 AM
Then if I just block spells by readIED spell only can be used for counterspell?

I don't understand what you're saying. could you try to explain what you mean?

Sian
2014-11-16, 05:59 AM
Spellfire Channeler - Now I'm a 'always on' Rod of Absorption, thats also able to throw stuff back in your face or heal myself with your magical energies

bought to you by Magic of Faerun

icefractal
2014-11-16, 06:31 AM
I don't think the OP's saying that you can do it with only an immediate action like Celerity, but rather that Ready has no specified trigger - like Synchronicity, to be precise.

This doesn't really change the action economy, but it does mean that things in general are a lot more interruptible. And more problematically, it means that you'll often have everyone holding their actions in a Mexican standoff type of deal, because the response will pre-empty the initiating event, so its a disadvantage to go first.

Oh, and it bones most melee types - anyone who needs a full-round action rather than a standard action is going to find their foes easily evading them more often than not.

Venger
2014-11-16, 06:51 AM
I don't think the OP's saying that you can do it with only an immediate action like Celerity, but rather that Ready has no specified trigger - like Synchronicity, to be precise.

This doesn't really change the action economy, but it does mean that things in general are a lot more interruptible. And more problematically, it means that you'll often have everyone holding their actions in a Mexican standoff type of deal, because the response will pre-empty the initiating event, so its a disadvantage to go first.

Oh, and it bones most melee types - anyone who needs a full-round action rather than a standard action is going to find their foes easily evading them more often than not.

yes to all this. this is an offshoot of this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?383824-Immediate-action-houserule-check&p=18411567#post18411567) where eggynack and I are trying desperately to explain why this is a terrible idea since it buffs the casters and slams the mundies.

KillianHawkeye
2014-11-16, 06:53 AM
The problem with a rule like this is that the whole idea of a "readied" action is that it is a specific action that you are just waiting for the right moment to execute. You can't just ready "an action" that you decide upon on the fly because that doesn't make any sense--different actions require different states of readiness.

What that means is that if you get ready to attack with your weapon if you see a hostile creature, then your hands are on your weapon and you're holding it in such a way that it won't take much effort to initiate your attack; whereas if you're prepared to cast a certain spell when a viable target comes into range, then you've got your holy symbol or material components ready and you're just waiting to point or say the magic words or whatever. The other thing to remember is that your readied action interrupts the initiative flow BECAUSE you're waiting on a hair trigger to act. Even if you can hold your magic stuff in one hand and your weapon in another, you can't have the time to think and decide between the two if you want to act instantly to changing circumstances.

Venger
2014-11-16, 06:55 AM
The problem with a rule like this is that the whole idea of a "readied" action is that it is a specific action that you are just waiting for the right moment to execute. You can't just ready "an action" that you decide upon on the fly because that doesn't make any sense--different actions require different states of readiness.

sure you can. it's called "synchronicity"

but that's why it's often banned, and shouldn't be generalized into a power all casters have all the time.

KillianHawkeye
2014-11-16, 12:55 PM
sure you can. it's called "synchronicity"

What's that? You can use magic to do something that's normally not possible within the rules? I am shocked! SHOCKED, I say! :smallsigh::smallannoyed:

heavyfuel
2014-11-16, 12:57 PM
We used this at a table where the DM didn't quite understand Readying Action rules. Yes, it was very overpowered.

SiuiS
2014-11-16, 01:16 PM
this is grotesquely overpowered for the same reasons as we were discussing in that other immediate action houserule thread: it makes all spells have a casting time of 1 immediate action.

Spellfire Channeler - Now I'm a 'always on' Rod of Absorption, thats also able to throw stuff back in your face or heal myself with your magical energies

bought to you by Magic of Faerun

Both of these already happen, so this is a non-argument. "If you change this rule casters will do the exact same broken thing they can already do without that change" is not an argument against a change. It's an acknowledgement of something that already exists.

yes to all this. this is an offshoot of this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?383824-Immediate-action-houserule-check&p=18411567#post18411567) where eggynack and I are trying desperately to explain why this is a terrible idea since it buffs the casters and slams the mundies.

I don't know. It depends on how optimal you want to play. I've played like this before and it makes things slightly more tactical, and increases the value of being able to obfuscate your spells. Tell me, at your table do you say "the enemy wizard casts a fireball spell" or do you say "the enemy wizard begins casting a spell, before there is a streak of light and an explosion"? Do you already obfuscate actions appropriately? If not, then this forces you to care and that gets irritating, but if you already do, well... Did you know the second description could be fireball, or charge potion, or arcane maul?

Casters already play readied action Mexican stand off. Fighters get to only play Irish standoff. Letting them play Mexican standoff too isn't a bad rule. It depends on group, not on game system.