PDA

View Full Version : Building or reskinning Warcraft 3 dryad [3.5]

hymer
2014-11-16, 06:13 AM
I'm looking to introduce a creature heavily inspired by the warcraft 3 dryad (http://classic.battle.net/war3/nightelf/units/dryad.shtml) to my campaign. The dryad in this sense is a ranged attacker (spears), who can also remove buffs and debuffs (magical or otherwise). Her standard attack comes with a short duration debuff which slows the target, termed a poison. She is generally rather frail and works best as support to other units, or in hit-and-run attacks. She is devastating against slow melee opposition (which get reduced to a waddle from the debuff), as long as she can kite them.

Any suggestions from anyone on monsters to base them off, or builds that would capture this sort of feeling? I'll build the creature from scratch if needs be, but I find it's usually a good idea to consult the wisdom of the Playground before plunging in. All thoughts and ideas appreciated.

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/307/d/c/the_dryad_by_justplainkitty-d5ju7kp.png

Darrin
2014-11-18, 10:28 AM
Any suggestions from anyone on monsters to base them off, or builds that would capture this sort of feeling? I'll build the creature from scratch if needs be, but I find it's usually a good idea to consult the wisdom of the Playground before plunging in. All thoughts and ideas appreciated.

Lamia fits the graphic best, but their Wis drain only works on a melee touch attack. Hmm... maybe Warblade + Bloodstorm Blade to add Wis Drain to spears? Centaur and Bariaur both have a similar body shape, but the Tauric template could also be used to make something more according to your tastes.

For debuffing with spears, I'd look at reworking Arcane Archer with Duskblade or Hexblade as a base, or reworking Stormlord with Favored Soul or Spirit Shaman as a base.

hymer
2014-11-18, 02:51 PM
Thank you! I thought this thread was going to plunge right through for a while. Hopefully some more kindhearted playgrounders will take pity on me! :smallsmile:
Those are all good points for me to keep in mind. Tauric is one I've used before, but I hadn't thought of it at all for this purpose. I should take a closer look at Lamia, I can barely remember it.
Thanks again!