PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Slow Time Planes

Inevitability
2014-11-16, 07:20 AM
The Fast Time Plane is one of optimization's favorite weapons. Need to make money quickly? Fast Time Plane. Want to change your spellslots the moment you see an enemy? Fast Time Plane. Fancy having infinite strength and charisma? Fast Time Plane.

However, its little brother, the Slow Time Plane, is almost never used. So here I ask; Playground, what uses can you think of for a Slow Time Plane?

1. Use Plane Shift to send your enemies to one, then enjoy the fact they are currently moving at a speed approximately five million times lower than yours.

Venger
2014-11-16, 07:50 AM
shift a party member to one if he comes down with a dangerous disease like gangrenous touch while you guys scrabble to get the cure. now you're in no danger of him melting into a pile of mushy goo like spaghetti-os with meat.

hop over to a slowtime plane and sleep while whatever's going on in your campaign world takes its natural course. hop back out in a few generations when things are further along. especially useful if you're a messianic figure and have seeded prophesies of your "return" on x date.

Inevitability
2014-11-16, 08:35 AM
shift a party member to one if he comes down with a dangerous disease like gangrenous touch while you guys scrabble to get the cure. now you're in no danger of him melting into a pile of mushy goo like spaghetti-os with meat.

hop over to a slowtime plane and sleep while whatever's going on in your campaign world takes its natural course. hop back out in a few generations when things are further along. especially useful if you're a messianic figure and have seeded prophesies of your "return" on x date.

I like the first one, although the second one sounds like inviting the DM to start up his 'dystopian future' scenario.

Venger
2014-11-16, 08:39 AM
I like the first one, although the second one sounds like inviting the DM to start up his 'dystopian future' scenario.

thanks. maybe that was your goal, or maybe you're an evil party or some similar thing. there are lots of PC-type plans that are impractical because they'll take too long. this helps many of them along. besides, "dystopian future" sounds like lots of plothooks to me (which means lootandexpee)

Emperor Tippy
2014-11-16, 04:11 PM
The Fast Time Plane is one of optimization's favorite weapons. Need to make money quickly? Fast Time Plane. Want to change your spellslots the moment you see an enemy? Fast Time Plane. Fancy having infinite strength and charisma? Fast Time Plane.

However, its little brother, the Slow Time Plane, is almost never used. So here I ask; Playground, what uses can you think of for a Slow Time Plane?

1. Use Plane Shift to send your enemies to one, then enjoy the fact they are currently moving at a speed approximately five million times lower than yours.

I use them to time lock problems that I don't want to deal with at the moment. Just dump them in an area where every second to them is a hundred trillion years on the prime, make it dead magic as well for extra fun. Then pretty much the only way out is for something on the outside to Wish the entity out of its prison.

Chronos
2014-11-16, 07:21 PM
Then pretty much the only way out is for something on the outside to Wish the entity out of its prison.
Which is absolutely going to happen. Probably within about six seconds (material plane time), in worlds with the kind of power level you play in.

Emperor Tippy
2014-11-16, 07:45 PM
Which is absolutely going to happen. Probably within about six seconds (material plane time), in worlds with the kind of power level you play in.

It depends, honestly it usually takes somewhere between a minute and a day. It is relatively hard to keep constant track of someone across planes.

With a box
2014-11-16, 09:38 PM
It would be to optimistic if we hope it aged to death.

Venger
2014-11-16, 09:40 PM
It would be to optimistic if we hope it aged to death.

do you really think anything important enough for tippy to imprison is subject to dying of old age?

It depends, honestly it usually takes somewhere between a minute and a day. It is relatively hard to keep constant track of someone across planes.

I think acorn of far travel will probably do it if you can fudge the duration somehow, depending on how slow slowtime is.

Emperor Tippy
2014-11-16, 09:54 PM
I think acorn of far travel will probably do it if you can fudge the duration somehow, depending on how slow slowtime is.

Considering that I am firmly of the opinion that Acorn of Far Travel does not work the way that most people think in regards to planar traits, that bit isn't an issue.

Planar Bubble is a good defense though, of course disjunction gets rid of that most of the time.

Rubik
2014-11-16, 10:04 PM
Place a bunch of Crafted Contingent spells on yourself, including Astral Projection, then Plane Shift to your slow-time demiplane. Even if you're not actually immortal, your body and its various processes now go so slowly that you're virtually immune to aging and physical needs. You only have to breathe once every four billion years? Sounds like immunity to drowning to me.

Forrestfire
2014-11-16, 10:14 PM
I was going to link to this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=16390771&postcount=180), but I got ninja'd on the concept by the man himself :smallamused:

Rubik
2014-11-17, 12:47 AM
Place a bunch of Crafted Contingent spells on yourself, including Astral Projection, then Plane Shift to your slow-time demiplane. Even if you're not actually immortal, your body and its various processes now go so slowly that you're virtually immune to aging and physical needs. You only have to breathe once every four billion years? Sounds like immunity to drowning to me.[Cont]

Then Plane Shift to a fast-time demiplane and cast Astral Projection again, but this time with an Acorn of Far Travel. Now you can live very fast for a very, very long time.

Baroknik
2014-11-17, 01:56 AM
I use them to time lock problems that I don't want to deal with at the moment. Just dump them in an area where every second to them is a hundred trillion years on the prime, make it dead magic as well for extra fun. Then pretty much the only way out is for something on the outside to Wish the entity out of its prison.

Is there an advantage of this over plane shifting them to a Demi-plane consisting of only quintessence?

Kazyan
2014-11-17, 02:01 AM
Is there an advantage of this over plane shifting them to a Demi-plane consisting of only quintessence?

Presumably: Plane Shift allows a save; dropping one of your Ice Assassins with Planar Bubble next to them or whatever does not.

ILM
2014-11-17, 07:41 AM
Quick question for those late to the party: which planes are we talking about? Are there published planes with faster or slower time traits? Or are we only talking about Genesis'd custom planes? If so, since the psi version explicitly forbids manipulating the time trait, I assume we're working with the arcane version Under the assumption that if it's not forbidden it must be allowed (under the "reflecting most any desire" wording)?

Chronos
2014-11-17, 10:54 AM
Quoth Emperor Tippy:

Not particularly hard. You just put it on a dead-man's switch. Set up some sort of communications link with your Wish-casting ally (there's an interplanar version of Telepathic Bond, right?), and instruct them "If I don't check in every six seconds, it means I'm in trouble. Wish me out of it.". You get shifted to the slow antimagic plane, you don't check in, your ally knows you're in trouble, and Wish.