PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Lost Mines of Phandelver - Cragmaw Castle Questions (likely spoilers)

DonEsteban
2014-11-16, 08:16 AM
Hi, I'm preparing said episode of said adventure and a few questions came up regarding the map of Cragmaw Castle.

What do you think all these collapsed wall sections mean (like in are 4 or 6)? Are they holes in the wall, is there no wall at all or do they just denote rubble that has somehow come from above obscuring the wall?

Why the heck is no body guarding area 11, while everybody seems to be guarding the main entrance?

What about the second floor? Description says "its upper levels have long since collapsed to heaps of crumbling masonry", but what happens if somebody climbs up there anyway and where are all the stairs leading up-stairs?

Okay, I guess the last two are more of rhetorical ones. It just doesn't make too much sense, does it?

JAL_1138
2014-11-16, 08:43 AM
Hi, I'm preparing said episode of said adventure and a few questions came up regarding the map of Cragmaw Castle.

What do you think all these collapsed wall sections mean (like in are 4 or 6)? Are they holes in the wall, is there no wall at all or do they just denote rubble that has somehow come from above obscuring the wall?

Why the heck is no body guarding area 11, while everybody seems to be guarding the main entrance?

What about the second floor? Description says "its upper levels have long since collapsed to heaps of crumbling masonry", but what happens if somebody climbs up there anyway and where are all the stairs leading up-stairs?

Okay, I guess the last two are more of rhetorical ones. It just doesn't make too much sense, does it?

I took it to mean the rubble piles are what used to be the ceiling of the lower level / floors and walls of the upper levels.

EDIT: It can easily be any of those though. Depends on what you want it to be. Parts of the wall could be crumbled to rubble piles half the height of the wall that can be scaled but still provide defenses, or it could be that they're virtually gone. I went back and looked at the map again and it looks like the walls have suffered some actual damage rather than just being obscured.
As for Area 11, it takes a DC15 Wis (Perception) to even find that there's a path through the rubble. Presumably whoever among the enemies looked at it bungled their check and thought it would be fairly impassable.